Photo
- - - - -

16.3.1 or 3.3.2

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RoclorD

RoclorD

Posted 15 January 2019 - 15:39

Which version is better in your opinion and which has more features vs. less bugs?

"Don't read history - make it" - Knights of the Sky

#2 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 15 January 2019 - 18:15

Which version is better in your opinion and which has more features vs. less bugs?

Tough one for me, I can't really answer. I only fire up ROF to test skins and skin assignments, 16.3.1 is a lot better for that, skins go missing on 3.3.2 and I can't figure out why.  16.3.1 is also a lot leaner, so feels quicker.

However, you can use both simultaneously, which is what I do.

16.3.1 and 3.3.2 install to two separate folders. 16.3.1 is RoFCampaign - 3.3.2 is PWCGCampaign 

So...I have both installed, and can switch between the two by editing the filename of the folder adding an X (or whatever) on the end. See picture below. Then if you fire up ROF,  the GUI will point to whatever PWCG it finds and start it up.

3.3.2 certainly has more features, but skin assignments are not good and since I make skins, it just frustrates me. 16.3.1 loads and flies quicker for me with medium air/ground/structure density. I have spent 30 minutes circling home base before heading to the front on 3.3.2.  That's with x16 acceleration...life is too short.

I will try it again, but have made skins and skin/squadron files for 16.3.1 for now.

I'm sure others who spend more time in that air than I can answer better. 

S!

Attached Files

• Attached File  A.JPG   397.75KB   3 downloads

Your content will not need to be approved by a moderator.

#3 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 15 January 2019 - 23:33

So I've had a bit of a run out with 3.3.2 this evening, I've found to it quite exciting, lots of action and atmosphere in a career with Jasta 46 from the start of Feb 1918. I created personal and default squad skin files for the Jasta for the skins I have made. I was able to assign individual skins to my pilots and they appeared in game. It wasn't as simple as 16.3.1 and I had to fart around a bit when planes types changed or a pilot moved on, but it did work.

It certainly came across more 'exciting' than 16.3.1, the enemy seemed more aggressive, and there was a lot more stuff happening in the combat area, smoke, flak, random 2 seaters and other squadrons passing through etc, and a lot more stuff on the map.  Squad AI seemed more convincing, they responded to what's going on around them rather than just flying off following waypoints as they seem to do in 16.3.1. I bagged a nicely decorated SE5a on my travels.

Sadly Jasta 46 appears to have an aerodrome in no-man's land in game, though on the map it's a good way behind the lines: See pic.

Also, 16.3.1 appears to assign non player unit skins from the available skins, whereas 3.3.2 will just assign the default skin, which kind of defeats the object a bit. I'd like it if you came across say Jasta 78 as a non player unit they'd be sporting some of the personal skins I've made for them, and they do in 16.3.1, but all the AI units I have the come across have default unit skins I made only which is a great shame. Not the default ROF skins thank god...because the Pfalz D3 flying in late 1917 sporting post June 1918 crosses kind of irks me somewhat. 

A lot of missions threw errors also, I have no idea why but I was happy to just skip them and go on to the next. Others might though.

Just my thoughts.

S!

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   950KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   1.04MB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   721.54KB   0 downloads

#4 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:25

When creating the new generation of PWCG series, Pat did this pure based with the BoX game as its first goal. Compaired to the BoX missions the RoF missions are more limited in, as a sample use of groundobjects amounts, so once a while the PWCG is generating a mission that is overflowing the RoF mission limitations and as a result the game is generating an iritating fault(s). And do not forget everthing had to be builtup from zero, so 2seaters can act like divebombers and scouts do act as Gothas. Read this on 16 vs 3serie https://riseofflight...or-1631-needed/

What I still do not understand is why Pat did not make an last 17UE version because he should have know Jason did sell the game engine to 1c and the new owners did not want go further into RoF. Think leaving the 3.x as an raw diamont is not one of his smartest discisions. Right now it does feel as an bad job.
I did have some intresting ideas for improvements so I did try to hack his PWCG 16.3 but it is a rather complicated JAVA structure and I think he self was also losing the big overview, because he could never explain what mods he was using, while I did found this was to be read in his coding. So maybe he was forced to go back, to start over and get the structure back.

BTW, do not let you be fooled: Pat did not chance the AI behavoir, he first intentions was he would give it a try, but he never got into it.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#5 Vorenus81

Vorenus81
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 20 March 2019 - 08:50

Guys,

I'm trying to figure out what's the best PWCG version currently available to have a decent single player experience without too many bugs, and I'm a bit lost in all those versions.

I first went with 3.3.2 but I got some errors that some ***.lua object were missing, overall loading times were looonngg and time acceleration didn't work ( I value immersion, but flying around your airfield for 30 m is too much for me, especially when you beginning your career as an observer). 

Then I went to 2.1.2 with GUA Mod and it was ok, except loading times were still quite long and time accelaration worked only a little bit better (although not 16x for sure). However I don't know which features I'm missing in comparison to 3.3.2 ?

And finally I tried 16.3.1 which seems to be "the leanest" but again I don't know If I'm not missing any interesting features that 3.3.2 may have (e.g. mission types).

What version would you recommend ? Which one do you use ?

#6 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 20 March 2019 - 13:51

S!
I don't think there's much you'll miss much with 16 and it's certainly leaner. I can't seem to employ big bombers in it and there's no Russian campaigns available, but that might just be me. I rarely fly beyond checking skin assignments so others can testify better than I as to gameplay and immersion. PWCG can't change anything like enemy/wingman AI, so there's no difference there.
If it's a game changer I'm currently working on replacing all the German skins so that each Jasta/Schlasta have full rosters of selectable personal paint schemes. All the 2 seaters are done and I'm up to J36 on the scouts. Hundreds more coming soon. They will only work in 16 as the others use a different file structure and are not interchangeable.
I don't have time to wait 30 mins to circle the airfield either!

#7 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 20 March 2019 - 17:25

S!
I don't think there's much you'll miss much with 16 and it's certainly leaner. I can't seem to employ big bombers in it and there's no Russian campaigns available, but that might just be me. I rarely fly beyond checking skin assignments so others can testify better than I as to gameplay and immersion. PWCG can't change anything like enemy/wingman AI, so there's no difference there.
If it's a game changer I'm currently working on replacing all the German skins so that each Jasta/Schlasta have full rosters of selectable personal paint schemes. All the 2 seaters are done and I'm up to J36 on the scouts. Hundreds more coming soon. They will only work in 16 as the others use a different file structure and are not interchangeable.
I don't have time to wait 30 mins to circle the airfield either!

You can fly Russian campaigns in the 16. as I did for both sides.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#8 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 21 March 2019 - 15:43

Guys,

What version would you recommend ? Which one do you use ?

I recommend 16.3.1 (the last 16 anyway) as it has less bugs and is more easily moddable.  Acceleration never worked too well beyon 4x for PWCG on my rig so I can't help you there.

#9 Mato7

Mato7

Posted 19 April 2019 - 14:38

If i understand correctly, in 3.3.2 from 50+ gb of skins, only lesser part can be used? Or they still appear in game, but i just can't chose all of them in skin assigment menue? Quite confused about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users