* * * * * 1 votes

ROF is starting to be in the rearview mirror of FC

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 17 December 2018 - 18:02

So, guys, I started flying regularly on the Berloga server, then I did some hitbox tests (Camel fuel tank), then some map and sun reflex tests, and with that I started to appreciate the work done in Flying Circus. That is, ROF started to be more and more in the rearview mirror. Not to mention that Beloga - where people are flying the most - has no AIs and no icons (veteran stuff).

Things that I like:

The maps have a more open sky feel to it, without the heavy mist on the horizon and the overboard stratus above (disliked from day one) present in ROF, and it gives a wider view so to speak. So BOX does not give that impression that we are flying in a crystal snow ball. The impression of flying in an open space (atmosphere) is greatly pronounced, and a lot of people like to take these planes for a ride just to relax and enjoy the flight (like myself), and if it is more realistic, the better. And the terrain details are also a plus. Which makes me think our front / no man's land will be awesome to fly over and do some recons. Island 2.0 anyone?

I'm also enjoying the damage effects. The smoke hits are a bit exaggerated (they could tone it down), but the flames and engine / fuel tank smoke are well made. And seeing the effect of a plane burn is even better than in ROF.

Hitboxes, despite some inconsistencies (no head kills when shooting at parked pilots?), are better. You need to aim at the pilot or engine if you want a quick kill. Airplanes do not fold like a leaf anymore, which gives much more authenticity to it.

I felt a difference for the better in my Force Feedback and the feeling of flight. By my speed tests, all the airplanes are being ported to BOX with an increase of a few kilometers, as if the engine is modeling a dense atmosphere / prop ratio. This transpires in flight. So far, I'm finding it very good indeed; especially since ROF has never had a good FFB on some planes. It could be a placebo effect created by the game engine, but FFB does look better.

Apparently now I can set my card (GTX 1060 6GB) to higher resolutions without problems. This is also making a difference. Berloga does not lag as much and so on. They seem to be working on these things (please, add visibility beyond 10k).

That is, I'm starting to not enjoy returning to ROF so much, especially since we do not have an advanced furball server being populated. With full real missions twice a week, the ROF apeal is starting to age and shade off quickly, especially since we will soon have two more airplanes in FC.

So if you are on the fence: just buy Flying Circus. It is not an immediate love affair, jaw-dropping and going crazy to fly every day, but it is a purchase that grows on you. And we've had a fair number of players in Berloga. If a dedicated server for FC appears and it is either on the east coast of the USA or in western Europe, we can start to rival or even surpass the numbers we see on ROF servers. I just think that Berloga could do a lot better if we could differentiate who is flying at FC, hence why I think we need a FC dedicated server 'nearby'.

I enjoy flying the N17 and N11 and Fokker D8 (besides Dr.I and Camel), but the BOX engine is starting to make a difference. And guess what, we might see the Sun shine on the Tripehound again, since they brought the Camel back from the ashes with some TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) to it. I'm making fun of it, but it is no fun... especially now that they re-nerfed the Pfalz. We also need some blue versus red missions.

Show up at the Berloga, because things are starting to heat up! As I mentioned at the FC forum, if you see me at Berloga (https://il2.flying-barans.ru/) it is because I'm flying FC (or willing to go that way).

Cheers,
SeaW0lf.

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#2 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 17 December 2018 - 19:47

And FC can be fly in VR.
As I do have an Samsung Odyssey plus from blackfriday shipped to the Eurozone and this whole VR in BoX is all very impressed to me.
I do see now objects in the Spads cockpit I never did see.
Believe me I was very very sceptical about VR in gaming, but it is true, this is great and a next step in combat fly sims, like my first Joystick and the Voodoo card.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#3 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 17 December 2018 - 20:06

Oh, yeah, VR! But it might take a while for me. Perhaps the generation after the next. I'm not sure about GPUs either. Looks like the headsets are GPU hungry, and nowadays cards as costing 1300U$ (LOL).

#4 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 December 2018 - 04:30

Good review SeaW0lf! I took your advice and bought FC for my birthday a week ago. After this Thursday evening's usual festivities, I'm going to be taking my first flights in Flying Circus! I'm also thinking about covering Flying Circus' development in a series of YouTube videos. Definitely looking forward to editing together shots of super high-definition aircraft rendered in ultra detail on my GTX 1080 Ti! :D

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#5 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 18 December 2018 - 06:46

Yup, would agree with most of that too.
Our squad is flying more often on FC now, and liking the development a lot.
After Thursday night flying might be a good time to meet up there.

Do wish the Kuban maps had opposing airfields closer together. Across the sea is way too far at this stage.

BxlHM7Q.png                  HaO2aNP.png

#6 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 18 December 2018 - 11:35

I still defer to RoF.

Struggle to find a fight mostly when I've been on, and the integration with WW2 isn't particularly enjoyable.

Should never have been released without the map.

BOOHOO

S!

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#7 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 18 December 2018 - 12:18

I have no desire to fly online FC now. Spad, camel, dr1 I do not like and do not use, and Pfalz is suitable there only for tourist flights.

#8 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 18 December 2018 - 16:16

I still defer to RoF.
Struggle to find a fight mostly when I've been on, and the integration with WW2 isn't particularly enjoyable.
Should never have been released without the map.
BOOHOO

S!

It hasn’t been released. It’s still in pre-order status.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#9 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 18 December 2018 - 16:52

After this Thursday evening's usual festivities, I'm going to be taking my first flights in Flying Circus! 

After Thursday night flying might be a good time to meet up there.

Good idea! I'll try to be there!

#10 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 19 December 2018 - 01:36

I don't know who this was but the guy flying the DR1 had no problems whatsoever carving up every Camel he came across.

Berloga server, Sunday evening GMT.

#11 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:14

It is good that at least he allowed them to take off.

#12 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 23 December 2018 - 22:22

Damn... Consistent 25+ players at JG1 during the most part of the afternoon at Flying Circus. I saw some old time veterans, I saw no icons, I experienced no lag (lots of players) and I saw beautiful maps. The vibe is a reminiscence of the old furballer Flying Circus in ROF (without the lag, icons and performance issues). 

It was great fun. I loved the Kuban mission in between the strait / narrow. You have plenty of time to climb and roam around and pick a fight. Just that the mission needs to be longer, because I did two flights and it was over (I got in when they restarted).

Anyway, today was a surprise, and I think people won't go away anymore. These servers are going to start to fill up to capacity  :icon_mad:

Congrats to JG1 in particular.

#13 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 23 December 2018 - 23:25

Just had a nice bit of fun there :)

#14 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 24 December 2018 - 01:00

Just had a nice bit of fun there :)

Too bad that I had to leave  :D

#15 Dupxo7

Dupxo7

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:16

Ok, Flying Circus is going to be better game than RoF (normal situation, because RoF is almost 10 years old, so it is very old), but what are RECOMMENDED system requirements for FC? I found only minimal... Is there someone who can confirm that FC is going now smoothly (stable 60 FPS, FullHD, high or maximal video settings) on GTX 1060, Intel i5-8400 and 8 GB RAM or similar PC specs? 

#16 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 31 December 2018 - 17:55

Ok, Flying Circus is going to be better game than RoF (normal situation, because RoF is almost 10 years old, so it is very old), but what are RECOMMENDED system requirements for FC? I found only minimal... Is there someone who can confirm that FC is going now smoothly (stable 60 FPS, FullHD, high or maximal video settings) on GTX 1060, Intel i5-8400 and 8 GB RAM or similar PC specs? 

I have an i7-3770K (OCd 4.6Ghz) and a GTX 1060 6GB and TrackiR5 and a 2560X1080p monitor (Windows 7) and I'm currently maxed with Ultra settings and some things unchecked or low, like grass and mirrors (normal / simple) and SSAO and 4K textures unchecked. I'm playing fine in multiplayer. Perhaps with an occasional glitch? I'm not even sure. I might lower the setting a bit just to see if there is difference.

You are more than fine with the i5-8400 in terms of cores. Il-2 only uses physical cores (IIRC) and my i7 is not even stressed (more like 40-60% usage in 4 cores / threads). I'm not sure if the clock will make a difference, but these games are ill optimized in general, so overclocking is almost a must for an enthusiast, but the i5-8400 is new and might come with some perks to compensate. You are using Windows 10 I suppose, and then I can't say about Windows 10.

But you are most certainly fine, unless you plan on using VR. But like I said, if you are an enthusiast, next time buy an unlocked CPU to overclock. Both Il-2 and DCS love an OC to compensate for the lack of optimization. I'm replacing my i7 for an i5-9600K (already bought) and I will certainly overclock it to the Moon. I might even delid it (solder and all, but not really worth it for the i5*). Right now, the dream CPU for me would be an i7-8086K with HT disabled and overclocked to 5.2Ghz and cooled by a custom water cooler. I almost did it, but I went for the i5-9600K for being way cheaper, and I might get to 5Ghz with ease, and they have some protection against Spectre and some other hacks according to them. Because six cores is more than enough and I don't work with heavy loads in general with my work.

This is just my 2 cents. Others might have a different opinion.

Edit: I would buy Flying Circus with no fear.

#17 Dupxo7

Dupxo7

Posted 02 January 2019 - 12:12

SeaW0lf thanks for comprehensive answer.

#18 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf

Posted 02 January 2019 - 23:08

Just out of curiosity I did some testings. The CPU is the i7-3770K at 4.6Ghz on all cores.

NOTE: disregard the total usage on the left because I took some of the prints after closing the game.

The first one is with graphics in Ultra (and the things I mentioned lowered or unchecked). It is in multiplayer, so there is not much usage, perhaps because there are no much planes flying around, just a few AIs and real pilots.

The second one is with graphics in Ultra (and the things I mentioned lowered or unchecked). This is in single player with me and 15 other AIs on the Kuban map surrounded by mountains. The usage is around 50-30-30-20% average per core (just 4 cores being used).

The third one is with graphics in High (and the things I mentioned lowered or unchecked). This is in single player with me and 15 other AIs on the Kuban map surrounded by mountains. The usage is around 60-40-40-30% average per core (just 4 cores being used).

My take on it:

1 - there is really only four cores being used. The spikes on the hyper threads must be from Windows or TrackIR.

2 - the Ultra settings go lighter on the CPU because the GPU might be bottlenecking, so the CPU is held back.

3 - I perceived some jerkiness in the Ultra settings in single player, witch gets smoother in High settings (did not test multiplayer with High settings). But I kept almost everything maxed and the FPS count in-game did not change, around 59-60 all the time (I can't make Afterburner and Riva Tuner work for now).

4 - the Low, Average, High and Ultra settings are not related to AA and such. This is a different tab. So I'm gaming in High settings with AA maxed, shadows maxed, forest distance maxed and all. Did not see much difference from High to Ultra but I was not paying attention to it.

5 - mind you that I'm using a 2560X1080p monitor and a GTX 1060 6GB. It would be lighter on a 1080p monitor and a bit harder on a 1440p monitor.

6 - note that the game is not even making my i7 sweat. I just have to overclock it to iron out some performance issues, if they are really there, due to poor optimization. But I did not test with the i7 on stock to compare.

qpSwQOj.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users