Photo
- - - - -

Joystick Binding.. (warning. Noob type questions folks)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Richard.W

Richard.W
  • LocationLincolnshire. England.

Posted 27 November 2018 - 15:36

Hi everyone, it's me again with another "Noob" type issue.  :icon_e_wink:

The time has come when I'd like to set up my controls and joystick to my own preferences and although I have a rough idea of how to do it, there are a few things I'm unsure of or don't know and I'm worried about just pressing buttons and hoping for the best because with my immense lack of knowledge, when it all goes t*ts up, I'll be stuck.

My joystick is the Logitech Force 3D Pro, although I don't think that matters for my questions.

In ROF, the set up and function/button/key assignments in the workshop are pretty easy to follow and I don't think I'll have much of a problem. Now obviously I've set the sim for joystick control rather than mouse and the aileron, elevator, rudder and throttle controls will be as normal (I don't have rudder pedals or a HOTAS system) so it's the twist rudder and throttle lever on the stick base...… As far as the other buttons on my stick go, I guess it's up to the individual to choose which function they wish to assign where, depending on their preference.

So my first thought is the hat button.. Since I use IR head tracking, can I disable the hat and assign other functions to it?

Now I come to the bit I really don't understand much about at all.

I have three flight sim type games. ROF, WOFF and IL2-1946..... Say my stick is set up for ROF and I now want to set it up for one of the others. I may well want to have different functions assigned to some buttons but I don't want to lose my settings for ROF. There seems to be some option for filing settings in each game but I'm not sure how this works or if/how I then go about opening the files to run with the relevant game.

This maybe what's meant by "Multiple Assignments" but within a single game, eg, ROF, could I program for different aircraft?... Let's say I choose to have button 3 as the blip switch, could I also have it to drop bombs for aircraft with a bombing option?

I know you guys will have the answers.  :icon_e_biggrin:

Thanks, as always.  :icon_e_salute:

#2 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 27 November 2018 - 15:45

Hey Richard S!

First thing I do when mapping flight sim controls is delete everything and start froom scratch, makes it easier to see what you've done and means you're only mapping what you need. You may not want to do that, but there's always the restore default command if you get lost.

Assuming your 'hat' is what your thumb sits naturally on, I'd go for up/down as zoom in/out. I have left/right set to int / ext view, but not everyone will utilise that. I don't use it tactically, just like to see the old crate I'm flying once in a while !

Fuel mix would be an alternative for that, you're better to have that mapped to something convenient.

Regarding your joystick mapping over the three games, each is seperate from the other. So you have to get used to whatever you've mapped for each individual game.

Salute !

ZF.

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#3 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 27 November 2018 - 17:48

Hi Richard,

"Multiple Assignments" means that you have more that one thing set to that button. Click on the "little book" in the lower right corner of that box, it will list the commands assigned to that button. I would shy away from deleting all the presets as  you may want to use something later and you will have to look them up in the manual or keyboard map, ( if you have that ). That can be a pain in the ass. Like Z says, remap the hat to suit your needs since you are using tracking software.

You can easily re-assign default keystrokes or buttons, just don't forget where you put them. As far as separate games and your stick config, I think they are game specific, and you shouldn't have to worry about losing setups from one game (sim) to another. I use a gaming keyboard which makes it easy to assign multi key functions to a single keystroke, I suppose you can do the same on the stick itself, although, out of 16 buttons on my T16000M (minus the hat)I only use 6 of them. 

In the end, It's all a matter of personal preference. 

:icon_e_salute:    

Sorry About That                                                           

#4 Richard.W

Richard.W
  • LocationLincolnshire. England.

Posted 27 November 2018 - 18:49

Thanks for those hints, guys.

I'll have a go and see what happens.  :huh: ……. The individual mapping isn't really too worrying, I'm expecting IL2 to be the hardest to figure out, simply because the aircraft involved are more complicated but my main concern is really that if I map for one sim and then map differently for another, would my first lot of mapping be lost, however I think from what Zooropa's saying, each sim will only recognise it's own which is comforting to know.  :icon_e_salute:

#5 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 27 November 2018 - 23:58

As far as separate games and your stick config, I think they are game specific, and you shouldn't have to worry about losing setups from one game (sim) to another.

Sorry About That                                                           

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users