- - - - -

Joystick or Pilot?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Richard.W

Richard.W
  • LocationLincolnshire. England.

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:20

I'm using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick.

My problem is either the stick itself or (more likely) me, the pilot, having a touch like a baby elephant.  :icon_e_sad:

At the moment, foot pedals are not an option so I'm using the twist function on the stick to control the rudder but I'm finding that from the zero or "hands off" position, any input to a single axis is giving an unwanted input to another, no matter how gentle I try to be with the stick.

This is making flying very twitchy and uncomfortable but taking off is a lottery........ I can accept that as a "Noob" my inputs are not as smooth or natural as they'll become with practice but I'm certainly not swinging on the thing like a pole dancer either!

I've been into the joystick control settings and I know there are posts explaining the pros and cons of altering things too much. I don't want to make things unrealistic but my thoughts are for adding a dead zone to lessen the risk of unwanted input.

Am I right or wrong in my thinking or is there a better way.. And if I'm right, do I need a dead zone on every axis?.....Mapping the function buttons to suit my preferences, I'll sort out later but for now I just want to get some control of the control surfaces.  :icon_e_deadman:

All thoughts, help, advice welcome, folks.... Even if it's.... "The noob's being a Muppet again".......You're probably right!  :icon_e_salute:

#2 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:33

Try to apply a S-Curve to the axes, you can do that with just a click. There is a tickbox in the Response settings. Maybe a little Deadzone helps aswell,just try what fits you best. Don't worry about making things unrealistic,we usually have short Desktop Joysticks while real Controlsticks have a much longer throw. Thats what the response settings are for anyway.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#3 Richard.W

Richard.W

Posted 05 November 2018 - 12:22

Thanks for the help, Pirato.  :)

Doing as you suggested has helped a lot. Adding a small dead zone certainly makes take off and landing a bit easier as I can now apply a touch of rudder without throwing in unwanted aileron and flipping the thing into the deck.

I shall revisit and readjust the settings when my proper computer arrives as I think some of the problem is due to the pc I'm running the game on not being up to the job. It loads and looks OK but I know it's struggling to keep up. I only did it as a trial and it (just about) gets me into the air for the moment but a proper gaming rig will make it a lot smoother.

#4 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 05 November 2018 - 15:27

Also remember to take off against the wind, or mabyve with tail wind, just avoid crosswind.

#5 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 05 November 2018 - 18:36

Out of "serious sim" joysticks good enough for flight sims,  Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is one of worse, and prone to lose qulity from wear (spiking). So it may well be a stick :(

Forum moderator.

Adjutant, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

"The hardest part of my job is being nice to people who think they know how to do my job."

#6 Richard.W

Richard.W

Posted 05 November 2018 - 19:42

Out of "serious sim" joysticks good enough for flight sims,  Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is one of worse, and prone to lose qulity from wear (spiking). So it may well be a stick :(

Oh boll@x......Just my luck!  :(  :wacko:

#7 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 November 2018 - 02:54

I wouldn't recommend "S" curves, they make your sensitivities all funkly.

But, it's all about what you feel comfortable with. :icon_e_salute:

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

tahhfk.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users