- - - - -

Is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:08

Hi,
Flying for a while without any icons, which is a lot less boring during long flight, and add a little adrenaline for not being lost at the end of the map :lol: , here is my question:

Is it possible to have action even if we don't pass a waypoint?
I mean sometimes, i'm sure to be at the right place, and nothing happens. If i must cover a convoy for primary task, there is no convoy at all to cover, miles away…
If i replay the same mission with nav icons, no problem!

It would be fine either, to be able to success secondary tasks, even if we miss the first task.
For example, i miss the right place for primary task…i would like to be able to find the secondary! Except for recon flight, cause they are always active when we close them.

I suggest to use trigger zone instead of trigger waypoints to activate action :P
That way, we'll be sure to see something corresponding to the asked tasks, even if we don't exactly follow the flight map…

Regards, and sorry if you don't understand wat i mean ;)

#2 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:41

I think I understand what you mean. I would suggest somewhat random encounters. IE you are flying out to do an attack on a convoy but you happen to get intercepted or bounced by another patrol, not scripted. Or run into a returning flight of planes on your way home. I dont know if the enemy planes even drop into the game until you get a certain distance from the trigger WP.

#3 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:53

Hi

That may be it.
I think I was close to my waypoints on the balloon mission, but can't say for sure if I was right on top of them or not. I was the lead plane. In missions where I was the wingman, I was in formation and I suppose my leader always hit the marks, because things always happened when we got to the action point. I've never used nav icons at all. I just didn't like the red dots in the air and using the map works well enough.

If passing waypoints are required for action to trigger, maybe increase the size of the waypoint area. Not a large amount, but leave some room for error for us no icon players, please.

This would be especially helpful when the turning point is between two far off forest. Most waypoints seem to be located in a spot that is easy to see. Some though are out in the plains and getting over the exact spot would be hard to tell where it is.

But, I don't know if one even has to follow them or not.
I know in Fly Now, I have not followed the waypoints, yet objects still appear when I get closer to them.

How does the spawning work? What does trigger them?

#4 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:14

AFAIK, by proximity trigger in most of cases.

I think, "waypoint size" may be issue for non-icons pilots.

#5 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:17

IE you are flying out to do an attack on a convoy but you happen to get intercepted or bounced by another patrol, not scripted.

It happens in my career, when flying to a task, to be involved in a dogfight already started before with other friendly planes than my squad…

I know in Fly Now, I have not followed the waypoints, yet objects still appear when I get closer to them.

That's exactly what i would like…with a margin of error, of course, i wouldn't like a too easy flight :D
But as a leader, you can fly hours without seeing nothing :cry:

#6 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:34

AFAIK, by proximity trigger in most of cases.

I think, "waypoint size" may be issue for non-icons pilots.
Thank you.
That explains why the ballon never spawned (I posted about in the other thread). I must have missed the waypoint over no mans land. I will be more careful to hit them next time ;)

One thing though. Are all waypoints important, or is it only the Action Point one that must be flown over to activate the trigger for enemy AI? Meaning, if I miss one along the way, will flying over the one at the action area be enough to trigger the AI?

#7 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:44

One thing though. Are all waypoints important, or is it only the Action Point one that must be flown over to activate the trigger for enemy AI?

Butch, i'm pretty sure it's the action waypoint…I always miss the waypoints close to the take off (too close for me), and ennemy was activate on place.
Well, guess i miss the action point as you did…

But it would be nice, if we miss the action point for primary task, to be able to activate others secondary task. Because it's not the case actually :(
Regards

#8 Butch_Nackley

Butch_Nackley

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:10

Well, hopefully they can make the action waypoint larger. So it will be easier to hit it.
The action point I missed was in no mans land. I know I was close, but to have to be exactly on it, with really noting to use for a landmark is going to lead to a lot of Unknown.

As much as I try not to say, 'it should be like it is in',,,, well maybe IL-2 did this part a little better.
Or, they could just spawn. If I'm suppose to be in the area at 08:47, maybe have the AI spawn at 08:45 or something and fly a pattern until we get there. If we are not there by maybe 08:52 (to give extra time for warmup), they will go home or unspawn, whatever they do.

#9 NakedSquirrel

NakedSquirrel
  • Tester

Posted 10 December 2009 - 06:11

They simply need a wider variety of triggers to spawn enemy aircraft/ground targets. Rather then set them out on specific points on the map, give them some sort of random variable. Obviously your main objective should be located in a specific location, but secondary targets, random patrols… those should just come and go as you fly around, making it look like the front is populated.

I'm guessing Red Baron 3d did something like this with their single player campaign. Since is single player, all that really matters is what is around the player. You can de-spawn aircraft or trucks after the player 2-3k away from whatever instance spawned.

Also, airfields should be spawned in a similar manner. As you fly near an airfield, spawn planes, Anti air, ect… when you fly away, de-spawn what was there and record what damage was done in case they fly back.

#10 taleks2

taleks2

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:36

They simply need a wider variety of triggers to spawn enemy aircraft/ground targets. Rather then set them out on specific points on the map, give them some sort of random variable.
In fact, locations and some parameters are random.
But waypoint triggering radius AFAIK is not variable, and it seems not too big enough.

but secondary targets, random patrols… those should just come and go as you fly around, making it look like the front is populated.
It's exactly as it in RoF.
But due performance issues, not every plane/vehicle is activated before you reach it.
However some of objects in misisons are alive without triggering.

I'm guessing Red Baron 3d did something like this with their single player campaign
Let's be honest, there were no yet real campaign in RoF.
Only career mode, which is sequence of missions, but not full-fledged campaign.

Also, airfields should be spawned in a similar manner. As you fly near an airfield, spawn planes, Anti air, ect… when you fly away, de-spawn what was there and record what damage was done in case they fly back.
This will cause memory overhead, there are a lot of airfields in fact. RoF suffers from memory restrictions, but it was said earlier by Lefty, that there will be no changes with 2G limit in RoF in nearest future.

Spawning also may lead to additional "stuttering effect" on preloading of objects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users