Photo
- - - - -

Skin files for PWCG 16.3.1

• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

#321 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 02 October 2020 - 12:21

OK, updated all of the ace files * to use your skins.

Question on MvR:  Are you planning to do his tripes?

* But, saw a few entries on the files included the ".DDS" extension and some that were missing a "}" - not good.  So, going to review ALL ace files and do corrections where necessary.

As, you've got - what? - around 3+ Jastas to go, I'll probably hold off releasing the revisions until I have the complete set (betcha just can't wait to tackle Udet, huh?)

Moving on now to the Squadron file. It's already updated  through Jasta 19 - so will add what's been done since then.

#322 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 02 October 2020 - 12:28

OK, updated all of the ace files * to use your skins.

Question on MvR:  Are you planning to do his tripes?

* But, saw a few entries on the files included the ".DDS" extension and some that were missing a "}" - not good.  So, going to review ALL ace files and do corrections where necessary.

As, you've got - what? - around 3+ Jastas to go, I'll probably hold off releasing the revisions until I have the complete set (betcha just can't wait to tackle Udet, huh?)

Moving on now to the Squadron file. It's already updated  through Jasta 19 - so will add what's been done since then.

YES! I had realised I never got around to MvR's tripes....they were still simmering and I moved on.  Like what an oversight!  

I have 4,3 & 2 then apart from Marine and home defence the scouts are done!

Spammers are not my thing...except for the one with the massive k******s. I was impressed with that one.

#323 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 02 October 2020 - 12:32

Jasta 5's Fokker D7's

A bit mysterious these, I have a few profiles but they are by no means a unified bunch. Very few photographs sadly.  So as usual what I don't have I have invented.

I have zilch for Pfalz D12 at all?

Any road up...

Attached File  A.jpg   1.16MB   0 downloadsAttached File  B.jpg   1.12MB   0 downloads

http://www.mediafire..._part_5.7z/file

Spammers are not my thing...except for the one with the massive k******s. I was impressed with that one.

#324 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 02 October 2020 - 14:02

Nice job on the DVIIs.

MvR tripes  = Funny!

I forgot about the MFJ and those home defense units.

Never seen a picture or a profile of a J5 DXII. :(

#325 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 08 October 2020 - 21:36

Jasta 4 ace - Wilhelm Frankl.

Frankl was born the son of a Jewish businessman in Hamburg on 20 December 1893. After he graduated from school, he pursued an interest in flying by attending Germany's hotbed of prewar aviation at Johannisthal. His instructor was Germany's first female pilot, Melli Beese. On 20 July 1913, Frankl earned pilot's license number 49. At the outbreak of World War he volunteered to fly for his country. His flying ability and his personality commended him to his superiors. While his professional life took off, so did his personal life. He fell in love with the daughter of Austrian Naval Kapitän zur See Edmund Stroll. Frankl converted to Christianity and married his love in early 1917.

Frankl began his career of aerial victories early in the war, before the concept of the synchronized machine gun firing safely through the plane's propeller became a practical reality. On 10 May 1915, while flying as an observer in Feldflieger Abteilung 40, he used a carbine to shoot down a French Voisin. He was awarded an Iron Cross First Class for this achievement.

It took exactly eight months for his second triumph. On 10 January 1916, while flying a Fokker Eindecker with KEK Vaux, he downed another Voisin. By 1 February, his victory total stood at four. Three months later, on 4 May, he became an ace. On 16 May, he was promoted from Vizefeldwebel into the officer's ranks as a Leutnant. He scored once more on 21 May. He was awarded the Knight's Cross with Swords of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern during late May, followed by the Hanseatic Cross. By this time, Frankl was one of only eight aces in the German flying service. His gallantry earned him the Pour le Mérite after his eighth confirmed victory; awarded on 16 July 1916.

On 1 September 1916, he then transferred to Prussian Jagdstaffel 4 as it was formed from KEK Vaux. Four wins in September and two in October made him a triple ace. In late December 1916, Frankl took command of Jasta 4. Then, after a six-month hiatus, he scored a quadruple victory on 6 April 1917, and his twentieth win on 7th. His end came the next day while battling Bristol F.2 Fighters of No. 48 Squadron RFC on Easter Sunday, 8 April 1917. His Albatros D.III lost its lower wing under the stress of combat manoeuvres and he and his collapsing aircraft fell 2,600 ft to his death. He was 23 years old.

Frankl's Jewish heritage likely resulted in his name and exploits being omitted from the 1938 book by Walter Zuerl, Pour le mérite-Flieger - Heldentaten und Erlebnisse unserer Kriegsflieger (Pour le mérite-Fliers - Heroic Deeds and Experiences of our Wartime Fliers) an account of World War I fliers who won the Blue Max. After the end of World War II, Frankl's name was justifiably restored to the roll of German aces.

I can't find any references to his personal markings so have given him the colours of Hamburg, red & white.

Attached File  1.jpg   1.43MB   0 downloads

#326 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 09 October 2020 - 15:56

Jasta 4 & 21s ace - Oskar Freiherr von Boenigk.

The son of an army officer, Oskar von Boenigk received a commission in the König Friedrich III Grenadier Regiment on 22 March 1912. As a platoon leader during the Battle of Longwy in October 1914, he was badly wounded in the chest. Upon recovering, he returned to his unit in the spring of 1915 and was awarded the Iron Cross, second class. Later that year, his application for a transfer to the air service was accepted and he was sent to observer school in December 1915. 

In March 1916 he was posted to Kampfstaffel 19. After four months he was reassigned to Kampfstaffel 32. Boenigk applied for Jastaschule in January 1917 and upon graduating he was posted to Jasta 4 on 24 June 1917. His arrival there was coincidental with that of his commanding officer, Oberleutnant Kurt-Bertram von Döring. The two of them would serve under Germany's ace of aces, Manfred von Richthofen, who would be appointed to command the newly formed JG II on 26 July.

With this unit he scored five victories and was awarded the Iron Cross, first class. On 21 October 1917 he assumed command of Jasta 21. Scoring an additional sixteen victories with this unit, he was awarded the Hohenzollern House Order. On 31 August 1918 he was promoted to Oberleutnant and assumed command of Jagdgeschwader II. Stationed on the St. Mihiel Front in September, Boenigk scored five more victories, bringing his total to 26. In October he was awarded the Albert Order, second class, the Saxe-Ernestine House Order, second class, the Order of St. John and the Pour le Mérite.

Freiherr von Boenigk served with distinction in the post-war revolution and attained the rank of Major General with the Luftwaffe during World War II. Captured by the Russians in May 1945, he died as a prisoner of war in 1946, aged 52.

Seems to have been attributed with all sorts of different profiles. He was a Silesian and their colours are yellow & white so I went with yellow.

Attached File  1.jpg   1.63MB   0 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   1.39MB   0 downloads

S!

#327 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:51

Progress report:

- Ace files = all up to date re: the ace  skins you've released to date.  In the midst of reviewing all of them for syntax errors

- SquadronInfo file = updated for what you've released so far, so thru Jasta 5

- Skin files = currently updated thru Jasta 19 and what I will do here is:

* Update thru what we have right now (thru Jasta 5) - a big job

* Not touch anything released after Jasta 5 until I am done - to avoid confusion so I don't mess things up

Once I'm done w/ these I'll see where you are in terms of updates and map out from there to get to DONE.  

#328 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 16 October 2020 - 19:46

DONE!!! Imagine! Can you send me what you have?

S!

#329 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 17 October 2020 - 13:43

DONE!!! Imagine! Can you send me what you have?

S!

Of course. But keep in mind:

- Ace files = all up to date w/ what you've done so far.

- Squadron file = done down to Jasta 5

- Skin files = only done down to Jasta 19 as I'm working thru these now to update down to Jasta 5.

https://mega.nz/file...UzbwNhtBSwPOT2M

#330 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 21 October 2020 - 10:43

Thanks for that chief.

Jasta 4 & 15 ace - Kurt Wüsthoff.

Wüsthoff joined the German air service at age 16½ in mid 1913. After earning his pilot's license, he was assigned to be a flight instructor in Flieger-Ersatz-Abteilung 6 because he was considered too young for combat. When old enough for active duty, he served on the Western Front with Kampfgeschwader I over Verdun and the Somme in 1916. When KG I moved east, Wüsthoff got his chance to fly observation and bombing missions in Bulgaria, Rumania, Macedonia, and Greece.

By June 1917, Wüsthoff had been promoted to Vizefeldwebel. He transferred to fighter service with a Prussian squadron, Jasta 4, under the command of Oberleutnant Kurt-Bertram von Döring. The squadron was part of Germany's original fighter wing, von Richthofen's Flying Circus. Wüsthoff scored his first aerial victory on 15 June 1917, by 20 July he was a 5 kill ace. The last day of July saw his sixth confirmed triumph. He was commissioned as a leutnant on 1 August. His score rose rapidly to 20 downed enemies. He won the Pour le Mérite on 22 November 1917, having previously been awarded the Iron Cross and the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern.

His rapid rise to fame came with a price, however. He struggled with severe emotional and physical problems. He was also beginning to suffer from battle fatigue, and the stress of combat was causing him stomach problems. Granting Wüsthoff command of the squadron inflamed many of his fellow fliers; they felt their youngest member was pushy and over-ambitious. While his first tenure as acting commander was fleeting, from 12 through 20 December 1917, he was appointed Staffelführer permanently on 19 January 1918. He held the post for two months, until 16 March. By February, he had already made his first sojourn to Doctor Lahmann's Dresden sanatorium for treatment of his stomach and "nervous disorders". Wüsthoff's personality clashes were not the only thing wrong with his leadership; he failed to lead by example, not scoring in battle. He finally shot down his 27th and final victim on 10 March 1918.

Six days later, his immediate superior, Manfred von Richthofen, relieved him from command. As his successor remarked, "He was the youngest—very much younger than all his pilots—and he had a very cheeky way. Apart from not being a very sympathetic man, he reported victories he did not always check." Wüsthoff was given a desk job in the wing's headquarters. He left the wing altogether on 4 May and was sent back to Doctor Lahmann's care for his combat fatigue.

On 16 June, he returned to duty as a pilot in another Prussian squadron, Jagdstaffel 15. The next day he few a patrol and engaged a Royal Air Force group of four SE5's of No. 24 Squadron, three of which were aces, Ian McDonald, Horace Barton, George Owen Johnson, and C. E. Barton, who forced Wüsthoff down in the vicinity of Cachy, France. Wüsthoff was seriously wounded in both legs, taken prisoner, and treated in various French hospitals. He complained bitterly about the adequacy of his treatment.

Wüsthoff remained in French captivity until 1920. When he was finally released he was malnourished and on crutches. Wüsthoff returned to aviation and flew for advertising campaigns. On 18 July 1926, he flew a plane built by Ernst Udet in a memorial show to Max Immelmann in Dresden. He crashed while performing aerobatics. He was taken to Friedrichstadt Hospital with a fractured skull and two legs so mangled they had to be amputated. On 23 July 1926, Wüsthoff succumbed to his injuries. He was 29.

Having scored 26 of his victories in the Albatros D.III he was one of the most successful pilots in the type. Apparently he borrowed Hantelmann's Fokker at Jasta 15, I have afforded him a simple stripe, since I know nothing of his later personal markings.

Attached File  1.jpg   1014.73KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   1.19MB   0 downloads

#331 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 21 October 2020 - 14:29

Jasta 4 ace - Egon Koepsch

Not a lot out there for this guy, he was a law graduate in 1914 and served in the Uhlan Regiment #2 before training as a pilot.

He spent his war at Jasta 4, apart from a brief stint in Jasta 11 that isn't reflected in the ace data files.  He only had 9 victories, though 2 of these were against ace opposition, William Junor of 56 Squadron and John Doyle of 60 Squadron. In the 1930s, Doyle wrote about his experiences during the war and claimed that Koepsch shot him down and then proceeded to strafe him on the ground. If so then he was a bit of a twat. Who knows.

He became a General-judge in the Luftwaffe in WW2 and was taken prisoner at the end of the war. He was released in 1947. He died in 1976 aged 85.

Apart from a well documented Fokker D7f at Jasta 4 there's nothing about his personal markings. I have used the Uhlan regimental colours of field grey and red for him.

Attached File  4ff1c91a33e102e69044ce0d81002f1f.jpg   98.16KB   0 downloads

Attached File  1.jpg   1.75MB   0 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   1.43MB   0 downloads

http://www.mediafire...Koepsch.7z/file

#332 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 21 October 2020 - 16:40

Great stuff! You're on fire today.

I am making progress on the skin text files and the review of ALL ace files.   

Stay tuned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users