- - - - -

PWCG 16.3.1 and the future.....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 20 September 2018 - 18:24

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me why 16.3.1 has been 'selected' as the last properly stable version of PWCG? I will explain that while I'm a long time user of the generator I rarely, if ever, fly missions, so whatever issues any given version has, I don't get to experience them.

I use it just to test squad and skin assignments so I pretty much never get as far as even taking off. 

I ask because I have literally hundreds of custom skins I have made that have ever been integrated or selectable in game. They are on my version at home of course, and I'm currently using 3.3.2 but not for anyone else flying any flavour of PWCG.

16.3.1 employs a different file structure from later versions so it's not just a case of transferring files from one to another but I can do this for 16.3.1 also.

I will happily do this if people are interested but I'll be honest, having released a large number of personal skins for many Jastas in the last few months it doesn't seem that many folks are interested and the lack of downloads demonstrate this. Perhaps if they were actually available in game then there may be more interest?  I uploaded 68 individual skins for Jasta 16b, accurately historical or plausible for 3 different plane types and have had 11 downloads total and little feedback......flogging a dead horse?

I can do some editing of files in the 16.3.1 version that has been doing the rounds, if anyone wants to test it?  I'll change it so personal skins are selectable from the menu and default skins are automatically applied to pilots not selected. All very simple and clean! There's 6 personal skins for the recon/bomb units and 8 for the scouts...in principle.

Now there's some caveats...there's thousands of skins available and I'm not knocking them. I have spent many many many hours creating my skins/templates and researching shit so I know the pain. If you've got a particular DFWC5 skin you love it's not going to be in you face, I've 'scorched Earth' my skin/text files and said goodbye to all sorts. In the interests of tidying things up and simplifying things I'm not taking any prisoners. I'm talking a TOTAL conversion (at least as far as the Germans are concerned) starting with the 2 seaters....

Let me know and I'll send some test stuff over and if anyone has Photoshop/Gimp and want's to join in, I'm happy to share what I've done..

If not I'll hang up me photoshop and play on my own. Anyone in?

S!

Gooseh

Your content will not need to be approved by a moderator.

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 21 September 2018 - 01:08

I think some folks have settled on ver. 16.3.1 as being the last/best stable version for RoF because it seems like Pat's valiant (and much appreciated) efforts to make a unified version of PWCG work for both RoF and BoX led to a dizzyingly rapid sequence of version releases, many of which seemed to introduce new stability problems for RoF.  Unfortunately, I have not had the time to devote to playing RoF nearly as much as I would have liked over the last year or so (first a result of getting my Rift and switching over to BoX full time because the VR was so cool I just couldn't stand to play on a monitor any more, and then as a result of being completely away from my RoF/BoX PC for most of the last several months).  Therefore, I have not been able to devote any time to testing any of the newer versions of PWCG or any of your latest sets of new PWCG skins.

I remain hopeful that RoF skins will prove to be usable in FC, and that Pat will eventually figure out how to make PWCG work smoothly for both RoF and BoX/FC, but I'm likely to remain just a bystander for a while as far as actual involvement in any productive activity in this regard.  To illustrate how bad it's been - I haven't even been able to test fly FC at all yet, and it's killing me.

I hope you stick with it though - I know that all the work you, Dude and I did on creating those first batches of PWCG skins made a huge difference in the level of enjoyment when Pat got them incorporated into PWCG, for anybody who bothered to DL and use them (and for those who didn't, well they probably don't realize what they're missing).  I used to get a little disappointed by the small number of downloads some of my stuff has gotten over the years, but the way I figured it I was mostly doing what I wanted to do to make my gameplay more enjoyable, so if even a few other people actually D/L'ed and used it that was just gravy.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 58.jpg

#3 Odovacer

Odovacer
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 21 September 2018 - 13:29

I'm using 3.3.2 as well as I figured that it was the latest and all else was obsolete. I've not had many stability issues, a few, but not enough to make me change versions. I know nothing about the 16.XXX versions. I've still a lot to learn about the games and mods and to be honest, skins are confounding me at the moment. I have no idea why some skins are selectable and others are not. Why some skins are available in PWCG and others are not. Why PWCG sees the skins but doesn't make some available for use. See my thread concerning this. That being said, I love the skins you've made. If I haven't downloaded many yet, it's because I'm trying to learn so many aspects of this game. That, and all my careers start in early war so I'm flying some of the less popular planes.

I encourage you to keep up your fantastic work. Having worked a bit on skins for other games, I know they are a lot of work. I'm not sure what the threshold for downloads would be for you to keep going, but I'll do my part and try them out.

#4 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:00

Panther, Yup, I hear you! I haven't dipped my feet into FC and I wasted my maxed out ROF voucher (could have gifted it too). From a personal skinning perspective I'm hoping they have some kind of unity between the templates, though I have my doubts.

As far as ROF and PWCG goes then I'd like to think it has legs that FC is going to be a very long time catching up with and I'll doff my cap to Pat for that. Having had a little run around in 16.3.1 I have to say it's a lot quicker and seems much less complicated as far as skin application is concerned, which is my main concern... And a lot more immersive in terms of gameplay. But like I said, I'm not doing a lot of flying around.

Odovacer, I had seen your post. From my experience of 3.3.2 applying skins is somewhat hit and miss, which is why I'd prefer to concentrate on 16.3.1, if indeed that's the version that's considered most stable in terms of gameplay.  Perhaps other users can verify? Creating the necessary paperwork for skins to appear and be easily selectable is somewhat tedious and I'd rather concentrate on one version.

If you don't have 16.3.1 there's a thread that you can download it from in this section someplace. If you're struggling I can help you out, just PM me.

S! all.

G.

#5 Odovacer

Odovacer

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:08

... Creating the necessary paperwork for skins to appear and be easily selectable is somewhat tedious and I'd rather concentrate on one version.

G.

OK, so there is something embedded in the skins .dds files that provides something that allows them to be selectable, as well as, I assume, the previews visible in RoF Hangar. Could explain some of the issues I have.

I've just started a new campaign in 3.3.2 so I guess I can ditch that and install 16.3.1  It would be good to have feedback from others concerning the differences between the two versions.

#6 Odovacer

Odovacer

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:15

I will happily do this if people are interested but I'll be honest, having released a large number of personal skins for many Jastas in the last few months it doesn't seem that many folks are interested and the lack of downloads demonstrate this. Perhaps if they were actually available in game then there may be more interest?  I uploaded 68 individual skins for Jasta 16b, accurately historical or plausible for 3 different plane types and have had 11 downloads total and little feedback......flogging a dead horse?

Gooseh

Well, I've only been able to download the Jasta16B files. The others posted in this forum are no longer available on MediaFire. I realise there is a limit to how long you can keep something hosted, but if people keep clicking on dead links then perhaps they aren't going to look any further at your work? Also, from what you've posted you seem to be implying that the skins can't be used in game?

#7 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:43

OK, so there is something embedded in the skins .dds files that provides something that allows them to be selectable, as well as, I assume, the previews visible in RoF Hangar. Could explain some of the issues I have.

I've just started a new campaign in 3.3.2 so I guess I can ditch that and install 16.3.1  It would be good to have feedback from others concerning the differences between the two versions.

There's nothing in the .dds files that affect where and when they can be used, that's all down to files within PWCG. Not all skins will have previews either, only those that have been approved by 777/1C will have those.

If you let me know what campaign you have started, what unit and when, I can have a look at the files to see what's going on.

#8 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 21 September 2018 - 14:48

Well, I've only been able to download the Jasta16B files. The others posted in this forum are no longer available on MediaFire. I realise there is a limit to how long you can keep something hosted, but if people keep clicking on dead links then perhaps they aren't going to look any further at your work? Also, from what you've posted you seem to be implying that the skins can't be used in game?

Fair enough, I had a glitch in my mediafire and I haven't gotten around to rejigging all my files. I don't think there's a limit on how long I can host them however. Having said that, I've had stuff hanging around for yonks with nary a download between them.

And besides, if they are not 'in' the game they're just another bunch of skins you can't esaily use, which prompted my original post if you catch my drift. And thanks for your kind words.

S!

#9 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 21 September 2018 - 15:02

FC can definitely use ROF skins, but they need lightening up. US103_Larner modded a bunch of our squad skins and they look great. Not 4k obviously but completely fine

BxlHM7Q.png                  HaO2aNP.png

#10 Odovacer

Odovacer

Posted 21 September 2018 - 16:22

@ Gooseh: Just flew some Quick Missions with your DIIL Jasta 16 skins. Very, very nice indeed. Colours are fantastic with great hues. Logos are crisp. Wish I could post my screenshots. Have to set up a media account I guess.

Be a shame if you had to throw it all down now.

#11 Odovacer

Odovacer

Posted 21 September 2018 - 16:28

There's nothing in the .dds files that affect where and when they can be used, that's all down to files within PWCG. Not all skins will have previews either, only those that have been approved by 777/1C will have those.

If you let me know what campaign you have started, what unit and when, I can have a look at the files to see what's going on.

Ahh, OK, that makes sense about the .dds files. I was looking for some kind of file or folder (SWF folder?) that I didn't load properly.

Campaign is German one in 3.3.2 starting with the Eindecker. I wouldn't worry about it. I was more or less curious why all the skins I had didn't show up in the PWCG. Maybe I do have to resort to 16.3.1 to get them all working.

#12 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 21 September 2018 - 17:38

@ Gooseh: Just flew some Quick Missions with your DIIL Jasta 16 skins. Very, very nice indeed. Colours are fantastic with great hues. Logos are crisp. Wish I could post my screenshots. Have to set up a media account I guess.

Be a shame if you had to throw it all down now.

Glad you like them. You can post images directly through the forum 'click more reply options' . They need to be .jpg with a max size of 5MB.  Saves messing about with imagehosts..

And as far as skin assignments 16.3.1 has been simple and stable so far, though the generator has a very different look from more recent versions. Quite a throwback!

#13 jeanba4

jeanba4

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:24

The problems I noted in 3.3.2 were :

Unability to hadle large number of planes

For two seater missions, lot of "destry assigned target", which usually means that the target is not properly identified

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users