Photo
- - - - -

Docs: Cockpit View

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SeaOfDreams

SeaOfDreams

Posted 26 August 2018 - 12:03

Cockpit View: Default Mode. This setting simply determines which view mode will be default upon entering the cockpit during a flight. You can choose from Centered Snap View, Fixed Snap View, Additive Snap View and Pan View.

I searched the doc for what these do...I see them in Startup, but no clarification in the docs.

~R~

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 August 2018 - 00:05

All of this is explained in the manual (IIRC) - basically, there are 3 different variations of snap modes (for those who like to use those) that do slightly different things, and then pan view for those who like to pan around using mice/trackball/TrackIR, etc.  There is a key (maybe F9 by default, IIRC) that simply toggles between the various modes, so you can just use your joystick's hat switch and try them out in game to see what they do and which you like best.  (I've always used TrackIR/pan view so I've never really paid attention to exactly how the 3 snap modes differ from each other).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#3 SeaOfDreams

SeaOfDreams

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:01

"Yes - you really should read the manual - lots of great info in there"

Searching on 'Additive', I get p 11, which references it, but doesn't explain it. Still a mystery...However,...

That's it. I'll keep reading...maybe it appears in different wording...and you did drop some clues that I can follow. I will be spending time learning all I can just to fly around, before I get into dogfights. And I enjoy the journey, including asking questions, and I am enjoying learning about the SPAD and its flight characteristics by reading on the web, too.

#4 Conscious_Pilot

Conscious_Pilot
  • LocationVirginia_USA

Posted 31 August 2018 - 03:05

Hey Sea - About a month into this, and I'm finding that the flying/fighting is marginally easier than the game's systems and nomenclature. The manual isn't all that intuitive to be honest. But I'll not be deterred as this looks like tons of fun. Good luck with your journey and hope to see you in the skies!

#5 SeaOfDreams

SeaOfDreams

Posted 31 August 2018 - 14:44

Yep...twould be nice if someone in the know would look the manual over and

delete stuff that no longer applies

put in stuff where it supercedes the deleted stuff

pay attention to all the newbie questions here and put in preemptive info

But I understand how tedious and demanding that all is, and the manual already shows some real time and attention invested. If ROF is to be replaced with a new product, then I can see why more time might not be invested in the docs.

RoF is pretty nice, as far as I have gotten into it. I'm having 'fun' learning how to fly the SPAD...and trusting that the physics are legit. Some of its behaviour is puzzling, but I pass that off to biplane geometry. I'm pretty much hooked on RoF at this point, but am time-limited for sim time, so a few minutes here and there must satisfy me.

#6 boilerplate

boilerplate
  • LocationIn the Foothills of the Canadian Rockies

Posted 31 August 2018 - 15:03

Hey Sea - About a month into this, and I'm finding that the flying/fighting is marginally easier than the game's systems and nomenclature. The manual isn't all that intuitive to be honest. But I'll not be deterred as this looks like tons of fun. Good luck with your journey and hope to see you in the skies!

Hey!

I'm another relatively new flyer here (from Mar/18) and have found this forum very helpful to tease needed info from the manual. I'm finally (FINALLY) starting to get a handle on flying with a combination of hatswithch/mouse without icons and padlock. I've used quick missions, scenarios, PWCG, and mp, and still crash more than land. In the real world of WWI aviation I would have been washed out or dead ages ago... but I keep coming back for more...

Tons of useful links,youtube vids, and awesome pilots around here to help us learn, but I keep telling myself that seat time is the real answer... 

Cheers

Damfino

#7 Conscious_Pilot

Conscious_Pilot
  • LocationVirginia_USA

Posted 01 September 2018 - 21:45

The biggest challenge so far is the situational awareness (or lack thereof) resulting from view limitations. I'm sure there's a way to cobble together a decent visual orientation for cockpit displays, forward weapons management, and scans for enemy a/c. A video explaining all of the camera and pilot head options would be super helpful. TrackIR may be the answer.

#8 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 01 September 2018 - 21:53

Definitely is. You can build something very cheap or buy either cheap or expensive solutions. Not having it if you have some money available is unnecessary pain.

#9 Conscious_Pilot

Conscious_Pilot
  • LocationVirginia_USA

Posted 03 September 2018 - 05:04

Definitely is. You can build something very cheap or buy either cheap or expensive solutions. Not having it if you have some money available is unnecessary pain.

#10 Conscious_Pilot

Conscious_Pilot
  • LocationVirginia_USA

Posted 03 September 2018 - 05:04

#11 Conscious_Pilot

Conscious_Pilot
  • LocationVirginia_USA

Posted 03 September 2018 - 05:06

I'm sold. In for a penny, in for a pound!

#12 SeaOfDreams

SeaOfDreams

Posted 03 September 2018 - 12:29

I posted here yesterday, but don't see it today...operator error?

TrackIR: If I turn my head to 'look over my shoulder', I am not looking at the screen...is there some sort of scaling, such that if I turn my head 10° the display turns, say, 30°? I can see that this would result in all sorts of jitter. I looked at the TrackIR website and vids. And some Youtube vids. Still not clear. Is there some sort of 'enable' key so that the TrackIR is not active all the time. Sadly, this info is missing from the TrackIR AFAICS. Might be there in a user manual that I didn't see. A lot of advertising fog.

~R~

#13 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:00

I posted here yesterday, but don't see it today...operator error?

TrackIR: If I turn my head to 'look over my shoulder', I am not looking at the screen...is there some sort of scaling, such that if I turn my head 10° the display turns, say, 30°? I can see that this would result in all sorts of jitter. I looked at the TrackIR website and vids. And some Youtube vids. Still not clear. Is there some sort of 'enable' key so that the TrackIR is not active all the time. Sadly, this info is missing from the TrackIR AFAICS. Might be there in a user manual that I didn't see. A lot of advertising fog.

~R~

Yes - when you open up the TIR software there are some screens where you can adjust the curves/response to suit yourself, but certainly the point is to scale things so that when your virtual head is looking backwards (to check six) your actual head is only turned a little (basically as far around as you can still comfortable see what is on your monitor screen).  There are little windows in the TIR software that show you both where your virtual head is and where your actual head/the TIR sensors are, to help you get things aligned the way you want.

I'd post some screenshots to help explain it but I'm away from my RoF PC, which is where my TIR is installed.  And yes, there is a pause/disable/enable toggle command you can bind to a key (I think it's F9 by default in the TIR software, IIRC), but in any case make sure that whatever key(s) you use for TIR commands are not also bound to anything in the RoF command setup screens.  However, if you have your TIR setup correctly there's really no reason you should have to disable it during game play, in my experience at least (you may want to disable it while you are establishing your default centered head position and saving it with the F10 key, but you don't even have to do that since there's also a way to do that while you still have TIR active, if you want to).  

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users