Old PC processors: Core 2 Duo vs Core 2 Quad for RoF

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LW_Offshoot

LW_Offshoot

Posted 17 August 2018 - 22:36

Hi folks,

Back in 2009, I built a new PC with three goals in mind:

• Build something with the juice to run a Glide wrapper for Red Baron 3D  (yeah, I'm an old dude - RB was what got me into building PCs back in the 90's)
  • Build something that could run the new Rise of Flight sim well
  • The PC had to run cool and quiet (over the previous 12 years, I'd grown tired of howling fans and I haven't grown any more tolerant)

The PC got built, but I never could get a Glide wrapper to work.  Life got busy and I couldn't find the time to sit down and learn RoF.  I've upgraded some of the components over the years and I've bought every plane and map in RoF as they came out. 

It's pretty ridiculous. I've accumulated three TrackIR versions (1,3, & 4), two different HOTAS systems, a Playseat Fighter seat to mount them on, and I don't think I've spent more than 24 hours total trying to figure out the setups and to cruise a bit in SP.  Sigh.

I'm like the guy who builds a 40-ft sailboat in his backyard, intending to sail to Tahiti, but can't seem to get it on the water.

Soooo - I'm at it again (pathetic, I know).  It's starting to look like I might be able to get some time in now and then to see if I can still get off the ground.  Before I invest in building a whole new system, I'd like to see what the old PC will do.

Here's what I currently have:

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Deluxe – LGA 775 socket, Intel P45 / ICH10R Chipset, 2xPCI Express 2.0x16 slots

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16G, 65W, 1333 Mhz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12P w/extra fan

RAM:  12GB – two Corsair 2GB DDR2-1066 , two Crucial 4GB DDR2-666 UDMM (added later)

Video card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 –  2048MB Memory (upgraded from a pair of HIS Radeon ICE 4850s)

Power supply: Antec True Power Quattro 850

Hard drives: Primary - Samsung 849 EVO 250 GB SSD drive, Storage: two 500 GB WD 16 MB Cache SATA2 7200 RPM in RAID 1

Monitor: Samsung 2693 26”, 1920 x 1200, 5ms response time

TrackIR 4 w/TrackClip Pro

In all the years I've run this, I've never had a problem or felt the need to over-clock the CPU or GPU.  It's run everything my boy has thrown at it like a champ (he's built his own now).  The whole system runs cool, fast (for its age), and quiet at stock speeds.

My question has to do with a possible processor upgrade.  I've heard rumblings on various forums that both RoF and the IL2-Sturmovik games  benefit from running quad core (or more) processors.

I have found some refurbished Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz processors with 12MB Cache for Socket LGA775. 

It has twice as much cache as my 3.16GHz Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale.  It's a hair slower at stock clocks, but it has those extra cores.  It's cheap, has a 30-day warranty, and it's got me thinking.

• Has anyone had any experience running a Core 2 Duo against a Core 2 Quad at the same speeds? 
  • Did you see any improvements with the Quad core running RoF?
  • Would it be worth another $50 bucks to upgrade?

I'll be checking back here about once a week so don't feel slighted if I don't respond right away. Sorry for the long story and thanks your thoughts! 

LoneWulffe Offshoot

#2 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 18 August 2018 - 11:15

That's quite a story.  Mine is sort of similar except without the hardware part.  Old RB3D guy, got ROF, fiddled with it on and off but mostly let it sit.  Now I'm spending more time with it but it certainly looks like I missed its prime.

Anyway, I can't give you an opinion on your processor upgrade.  I work from home and have the luxury of using my work computer for ROF.  For the record, a Zenon workstation with 24G of memory and three monitors works great  ;) but I am proof that it doesn't help you shoot any better.  (Like I am fond of saying, just 'cuz you have a knife and a book, doesn't make you a surgeon.)

Even though you have a relatively old setup, it was current when ROF came out.  Have you tried it?  Nothing like a real life experiment.

#3 LW_Offshoot

LW_Offshoot

Posted 18 August 2018 - 14:27

Chevelle!  How cow!  How are you doing?  I remember you well from the RB days - no doubt from you hammering my six (a popular pastime for most RBers in those days).  Seems like you used to post a bit on Jupes' Wings of Honor forum as well.

Thanks for the response.  Three monitors. eh?  I've dreamed about getting a trio of 27-inchers, especially now they're coming with such narrow frames.  But that'll have to wait for a new PC and a graphics card capable of driving them. 

My old PC seems to run single player OK if I don't crank the graphics up too high.  Can't say about MMP since I haven't dared show my newbie face there yet.  I'm still working on setting up my HOTAS and TrackIR.  With all the bloody options on the stick and throttle, figuring out the most intuitive and functional setup and getting them into muscle-memory is a challenge. 

Man, I miss my old MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2!.  It rocked in RB.  When it died and I went to a CH setup in the latter days, watching me stagger and stall across the skies must have been a great source of amusement to the other RB players.  :icon_e_wink:

Anyway, it's good to know there are still some senior fliegers out there.

S!

Offshoot

#4 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 18 August 2018 - 16:50

Way back I did run an i5-2500k (k=unlocked) on Woff, Rof, Clod and BoS, so if compair this i5-2500k experience to that Q9650 I think that could be weak when flying RoF.

So If wanting to stay to this Motherboard I would go for the Core 2 Extreme QX9770(revC1,3.2GHz,1600FSB,L2:2X6MB) that is the fastest CPU for your mobo. Does this run Woff or Rof,sure, but I think the most interesting would be that it could run FC when being overclocked. The QX-series are unlocked so very easy (even for noobs) to overclock at 4,5ghzstage. The normal Q is locked so here overclocking is difficult and could go wrong.

Rof does have benefit from 4 cores, as has being tested by JayDolan, so an 3ghz dualcore would be much slower then an 3ghz quad.

Another point I do not like the two different memory on your rig, get the fastest your mobo/cpu can handle and instal the max amount of RAM.

Btw welcome, I was also as Dutch active in Delphi, Dynamix, Sierra and WoValor RB-forums
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#5 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:17

I have found some refurbished Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz processors with 12MB Cache for Socket LGA775. 

It has twice as much cache as my 3.16GHz Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale.  It's a hair slower at stock clocks, but it has those extra cores.  It's cheap, has a 30-day warranty, and it's got me thinking.

• Has anyone had any experience running a Core 2 Duo against a Core 2 Quad at the same speeds? 
  • Did you see any improvements with the Quad core running RoF?
  • Would it be worth another $50 bucks to upgrade?

Hello Offshoot.  

I upgraded from an E8500 on a P5 mobo to an i930 on a P6 'board.  The i930's stock clock speed is 2.8ghz.  The difference it made to RoF was startling. 

Suddenly big missions with lots of planes was possible, fps stayed high and the game itself did not slow down.  With a twin core E8500 you could create a quick mission with thirty-odd planes and as they entered combat the game would remain fairly smooth and frame rates would be stable but time would slow down! 

The most obvious indicator would be rate of fire.  It would noticeably slow.  Then you would notice you weren't travelling quite as quickly as you should be or control response would be......slightly......off the mark.  That sort of thing.  This was with a geforce 660ti too.

Firing up the game with new, quad-core chip was a  :icon_eek: moment.  Everything was sharper and more responsive.  Game loading, graphics, fps, everything!

Your system is now pretty ancient but what its got going for it - and what makes an extra fifty bucks a worthwhile spend - is your graphics card.  Your geforce 670, with a Q9650 will run RoF on decent settings very nicely.  

I wouldn't worry too much about a ram upgrade.  I think fifty bucks is a worthwhile spend,  anything more and you enter the realm of 'why bother?' given the age and limitations of P5 boards now.

Would this run Battle of Stalingrad too?  Yes - on relatively lower graphics settings than RoF would run but still with an acceptable compromise between eye candy and performance.

In my experience BoS thrives on a processor speed in excess of 3.6ghz.  I think you can overclock a Q9650 to around 3.6 but you'd need an aftermarket cooler.

Food for thought. :icon_e_salute:     

#6 LW_Offshoot

LW_Offshoot

Posted 19 August 2018 - 20:20

Hi Dutch,

Thanks very much for the response.  I have to admit that the Core 2 Extreme QX9770 revC1,3.2GHz,1600FSB,L2:2X6MB is awesome. It would be a fun experiment to see how much I could get out of it and how it would run RoF and the more recent IL2 releases.  Unfortunately, they cost more than I want to put into this old rig just now.  

You're absolutely right about the mismatched memory.  Unfortunately, by the time I got around to upgrading, I wasn't able to find any matching 4GB modules. The slower Crucial modules had the same CL and just dropped in with no problems at all. I could have bought four of the Crucial modules to max-out out my motherboards, but I thought I'd see how it ran with 12GB which seemed like over-kill for what I was using it for back in the day.  I didn't run any before and after benchmarks,  but there was a noticeable improvement in loading programs, etc.  Since I wasn't planning on doing any over-clocking, 

Thanks again for the thoughts and suggestions!

Offshoot

#7 LW_Offshoot

LW_Offshoot

Posted 19 August 2018 - 20:33

S! Smedley!

I think you've sold me on the Quad core.  Hearing your first-hand experience confirms the few other reports I've heard.  Thanks very much!  

I'll probably run it at stock speeds to start with, but I may give it a tweak or two down the road.  The Noctua cooler I'm running should more than handle it.  It runs things so cool, I may not even have to turn the fan speeds up.

Thanks again, all!  It's much appreciated.

S!

Offshoot

#8 AbhishekThoke

AbhishekThoke

Posted 03 August 2019 - 03:38

In terms of overall gaming performance, the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz is significantly better than theIntel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz when it comes to running the latest games. ... The Core 2 Quad has 2more threads than the Core 2 Duo. Both CPUs have one thread per physical core.

#9 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:42

In terms of overall gaming performance, the [/size]Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz is significantly better than the[/size]Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz when it comes to running the latest games. ... The [/size]Core 2 Quad has [/size]2more threads than the [/size]Core 2 Duo. Both CPUs have one thread per physical [/size]core.[/size]

And both are absolute not suited for playing a game like RoF, on a decent level or you stay to minesweeper, tetris or whatever low performer. And for building a Vintage PC, I would prefer an dualcore because at that time (before XP) most games/ software could not handle a Quad core. I think that is also counting for Win98SE as an OS on a Vintage PC.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users