- - - - -

ROF_UE v1.037, can't start mission: plane not available

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SeaOfDreams

SeaOfDreams

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:17

Windows 10 Pro x64

Just installed this...did some minor config of the UI, based on other experiences...then figured to begin with a quick mission...1 plane selected...can't choose any other...stepped through the start up screens, but right after the one that says where I am starting out and I click

Quick Mission > Start > Mission is Loading > Error 10003.

Oddly, when Mission is highlighted, I seem to be in the hangar, and vv.

#2 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 15 August 2018 - 14:10

Welcome! Try to update the game on the startup splash screen.

#3 SeaOfDreams

SeaOfDreams

Posted 15 August 2018 - 14:25

Thanks...didn't think to try this, because I had just updated during the install.

I'm running

Alienware 17 R3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M with 3GB GDDR5

16GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2133MHz (8GBx2)

I tried the update from the splash ...

from the general tab, the splash screen closed when I clicked Update

restarted...

from the other tabs,  the video says it is at 207%, and I get an alert message...clicked update anyway, and it closed.

thinking that maybe that is what is does when it updates, I started it again

same end...plane not available...this time, I tried offline start up...it goes through the motions, but at the point it should actually start, I get the error.

Thanks,

~R~

edit 20180815a: reading the manual, I see a mention of code for the free to play version, which is what I decided to try before buying...I don't recall entering any code or registration key.

~R~

#4 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 15 August 2018 - 15:05

The free to play is exactly the same game that you "buy". What you actually buy is planes, plane modifications, maps and packs with sets of these things.

#5 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 15 August 2018 - 15:07

On the Quick Mission, be sure to select for yourself only one of the two free planes, the Albatros DVa or the Spad XIII. You can fight against any plane though.

#6 SeaOfDreams

SeaOfDreams

Posted 15 August 2018 - 17:44

That did it! I assumed that the selected plane was one I was 'allowed'. Inverted the mouse, so that pulling back on the 'stick' raised the nose, as it does in real life. Then reduced the mouse sensitivity to make the plane manageable. Guess it is time to read that 150 page manual someone spent a lot of good time putting together. ;-)

I now want to support the program...I guess that means 'actually buy is planes, plane modifications, maps and packs with sets of these things.' That must wait until I have a better feel for what I want to 'fly'. My first was a T-28 out of Pensacola...they say you never forget your first one...and I can still feel the controls today...I have not flown for years...to expensive to fly what I want to fly, I suppose. Tried a single engine Cessna, but couldn't quite get into it. Despite the thrill of jets, I like the 'hands on', integrated feeling of smaller planes. Many thanks for taking the time to get me started.

~R~

#7 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:28

Glad it's working :)

Just a couple of things that may interest you:

1) The game experience is soooo much different (for the better) when you're using a joystick. Do consider buying one. There are affordable options. You can then look around with your mouse, which is critical (untill you buy or build a head tracking solution, that is, eh eh). There are also rudder pedals, but some joystick models support the rudder function by twisting the handle, and a lot of people have that, I guess.

2) It's a great decision to support the game. And it is indeed a wonderful game. Often there are discounts, you may want to use that. You should be informed, however, that Rise of Flight will slowly be giving way to the new game that is coming out, Flying Circus, which is part of the IL2 series, by the same company, which so far included only WW2 stuff. This new game is now in Early Access, which means you buy it with a discount and you get access to whatever the developers release every so often. Currently this means two planes available, DR1 and Spad III, and no specific WW1 maps, etc. It's also not polished, it's a work in progress. It will take a while (a few years, maybe) for this new game to cover the diversity of material that Rise of Flight has to offer right now. But it runs on a new engine, and it enjoys the benefits of new technology (VR support, etc), so it's the way to the future, and most Rise of Flight players are very excited about it.

We'll be around to help if you have more questions. Welcome and have fun!

#8 SeaOfDreams

SeaOfDreams

Posted 19 August 2018 - 13:10

I had a Saitek X52 lying around from my plans a few years ago to get into this. I installed it. Tweaked a few things...I don't recall how to use all the buttons and switches, so will have to look for some docs. Response to input is way too high, so tried to slow it with the options. Better, but still seems edgy.

I'll look into Flying Circus, thanks, though I have sooo much to explore in ROF. My game time...sigh...is limited by the real world and its need to be 'serviced' at regular intervals...;-) It's likely that I'll need to chat more about hardware, which is fine with me. I'm also looking at getting back into real flight...sigh...and will give that another shot to see if I have slowed down enough to enjoy the planes I can afford to fly. :-) I /do/ like the sense of 3D motion so much. I'll never forget my first aileron roll. Popped the nose up for a few seconds, then into the roll. Nearly lost my breakfast...kept my mouth shut for prolly a full minute after the roll, using hand signals to let my trainer know that I was OK. God, I miss that. Sigh.

#9 SeaOfDreams

SeaOfDreams

Posted 23 August 2018 - 11:34

Wondering what my next step is...I am reading the manual, and it says to "register" using the 7777... key. ISTR that I followed web links re flight sims...to a recommendation for RoF...to a download zip (I /think/)...to eventually installing and "registering". I can run, as this thread shows...but are there steps that I missed? I am thinking of buying the free play upgrade that I read about in the manual, but have not looked it up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users