Photo
- - - - -

Taking the Plunge with Mission Editor

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:10

Wow.  What a powerful tool!  (As one that made a lot of "maps" back in the day for RB3D and even wrote some tools for doing it, I am really impressed!)

I am working through the manual and great You Tube tutorials.  It's slow going but I'm learning and having fun doing it.  So far I am just adding AI missions. 

The first one is a mission to supply the aerodrome at Phalempin from Lillie.  It has two parts.  The first is a supply train that goes from Lillie to Phalempin.  The second is a truck convoy that goes from the Phalempin train station to the base that is close by.

Although I haven't tested it yet, I think I have it right.  The train is triggered by the start of the mission.  The truck convoy is triggered by the train arriving at its final waypoint after a delay (unloading the train and loading the trucks!)

So here are my first questions....

1. How do I get this scenario to repeat after a delay?  When that happens, do the train and trucks disappear and reappear at their respective starting points?  (That's fine if they do.)

When I started designing the mission, I first imported the base_no_trunc and the base_for_trunc files.  That of course put a zillion things on the map.  I then selected and deleted everything that was out side of the area that my mission takes place which is the four sectors defined by A1 to B2.  I am assuming that there are still too many objects in that area which is why I haven't tested it yet.

2. Do I have to thin them out one at a time?  What if I end up needing something that I deleted?  Is there anyway to reinsert what was there initially?

3. Honestly, I can't find this answer but it is a basic one.  How do I test the mission?  I assume I have to put the mission file somewhere.

4. Once it is complete, what is the difference between running it as a single player and multiplayer mission?

5.  I've noticed that some airfields have several other right in the same place.  For example, there is a base at Brayelles with two more (called just Airfield) in that same area.  If I keep Brayelles, should I also keep the other two?

Thanks for your help.

#2 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:32

Good luck, you'll need it :lol:

S!

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#3 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 03 August 2018 - 16:22

S!

An area of 40k x 40k on both sides of the front runs OK.  You will not need to thin anything out within that area.

When you make an airfield a Live entity it can be used as a spawn point in multiplayer. You look at the airfield properties screen and pick planes. Here is where you add the type of plane you want. This does not work on some of the very large fields or weird small tent fields.You can also not make the field a Live entity and use a 'Fake Field". Fake fields take a while to get set in the right spot and direction. Planes spawn in in a different order as well. 

For single player you have to put a plane on a field, designate it a live entity and change the AI level to player. The airfield does not need to be a live entity.

In the main mission properties you select either single player or multiplayer depending on the way you have the mission set up. Multiplayer missions are stored in the multiplayer dogfight folder and single player are stored in the Data/Missions folder. To test multiplayer you stat your game, go to multiplayer and then select create new server. Your mission should be in a list/ Just move it to the right side and then start. 

For single player you enter the game and select missions. you will see  list on the left side. Select your mission and hit start.

sig9.png

#4 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 03 August 2018 - 16:38

@ Chevelle  If you could "zip" the mission and post it here ,we could have a look and maybe give some insights and better help. :icon_e_salute:

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#5 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 03 August 2018 - 17:02

@ Chevelle  If you could "zip" the mission and post it here ,we could have a look and maybe give some insights and better help. :icon_e_salute:

Will do when I at least try it out first to see what the issues are.

#6 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:15

There is still a lot of experimenting and learning that I am doing before I post a version but as I work through new additions I end up with more questions.  Some aren't "how do I fix..." but more understanding how things work.  (The videos are terrific as are the old posts but they aren't complete.)  So here are the next questions....

6. How do I get icons to display on the mission map that shows before you start the mission and on the knee board map?

7. Is there "directionality" to the train tracks?  I have a train on a track with a waypoint further down the line.  When the timer goes off, the train instantly changes direction on the track and heads off in the wrong direction!!!

8. I have a formation of AI planes headed to attack an airfield.  The #2 and #3 planes are attached to the lead #1 plane as they should be.  The way points and attack triggers are attached to the leader as they should be.  So are the way points that are supposed to send the planes back across their lines.  The question is, what happens if the leader is shot down either before or after the attack?  Will the #2 plane automatically become the leader and so on?  Will the rest of the planes know how to complete the rest of the mission?

9. What do the activate and deactivate options do and how are they used?

10. Since it is an AI routine, how do you get it to repeat?  If they have damaged or destroyed anything like buildings, balloons, etc., how do those things get restored?

11. How do events get announced on the screen?  Like when a balloon gets destroyed, how does that get announced to the player?

12. What is the definition of a ground object being destroyed?  Meaning, if one or more planes are sent to take something out, is it possible to know that the target has been destroyed so they can go off to a second target with any remaining ammo/bombs?

13. In my experimenting, I have one Roland C.II attacking an airfield.  The radius of the attack trigger is set to just larger than the field.  The plane attacks just fine.  Then I added two more Rolands.  They all attack but all the bombs fall right in the same spot!  (They are really good I guess!)  Seems kind of pointless to send more planes if not more destruction will occur.

14. How is scoring done?  How does the play get credit for shooting down planes, etc.?

15. If the point in a MP mission was NOT to shoot down planes but to deal with strategic targets like airfield, balloons, trains, factories, etc.  For team scores, can the shooting down of planes be devalued as opposed to the strategic targets?  Ideally, the player would be given for the kills but the team would be given points only for the strategic targets destroyed.

(Why am I doing this?  Well back in the RB3D days, I wrote a scoring program and a server manager.  The latter was basically a rudimentary mission editor.  I was designing a tournament called the Strategic Air War (SAW).  It was meant to be different in that it focus on strategic targets, not the shooting down of airplanes.  RB3D was in serious decline at that time and I never finished it but the options in RoF really make such a mission possible in a way that RB3D could never achieve.)

Thanks.

#7 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 05 August 2018 - 16:21

S!  It may be a bit early for your level of understanding but...

I suggest you you go to MP and fly on war grounds. This will download the mission files to your Mission/Dogfight folder.

Then when you go to your mission editor and select open file. You will not see the mission. You type in a few letters of the mission you want to open. It will brig up a list in the drop down box. Select the one that ends in with .msbin      That should open the mission. If you save it, it will create a mission file that will show up in the list the next time you select open file.

The war grounds missions are organized in groups. You can go through and ungroup these and look at their connections and see how they work.  You will find AI flights that repeat, convoys and trains running nicely as well as a variety of icons.

sig9.png

#8 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 05 August 2018 - 17:48

S!  It may be a bit early for your level of understanding but...

I suggest you you go to MP and fly on war grounds. This will download the mission files to your Mission/Dogfight folder.

Then when you go to your mission editor and select open file. You will not see the mission. You type in a few letters of the mission you want to open. It will brig up a list in the drop down box. Select the one that ends in with .msbin      That should open the mission. If you save it, it will create a mission file that will show up in the list the next time you select open file.

The war grounds missions are organized in groups. You can go through and ungroup these and look at their connections and see how they work.  You will find AI flights that repeat, convoys and trains running nicely as well as a variety of icons.

To quote Bill Murray from "Scrooged", "Well it's a little late for that kind of feedback!"

I had no idea!  That will be an immense help.  As someone once said, "Stealing from one is plagiarism.  Stealing from many is research."

I just need to do lots of research.  No, I don't think I'm too early for that.  I have gotten pretty far.  I just need help with getting rid of some of the quirkiness in some of the mini-missions.  Others are working quite nicely.

Thanks for the great tip.

#9 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 06 August 2018 - 00:45

Uhm, one other thing.

You realize that the Mission Editor for IL2, Flying Circus and Tank Crew is based on the RoF Mission Editor.  There are some advanced features not available in RoF.  So in the long run, what you learn here will also be of use in the future.

sig9.png

#10 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 06 August 2018 - 13:43

Uhm, one other thing.

You realize that the Mission Editor for IL2, Flying Circus and Tank Crew is based on the RoF Mission Editor.  There are some advanced features not available in RoF.  So in the long run, what you learn here will also be of use in the future.

Good point.  Can you post the manual here?  (For some reason I can't get it off the forum.)  There may be more detail in that manual than in the one for RoF.

#11 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 06 August 2018 - 15:16

S!

If you look in your RoF folder you should find a mission editor manual down at the bottom. It is part of the install.  

You may find help on you tube.

The IL2 stuff is here.

sig9.png

#12 Chevelle

Chevelle

Posted 06 August 2018 - 17:42

S!

If you look in your RoF folder you should find a mission editor manual down at the bottom. It is part of the install.  

You may find help on you tube.

The IL2 stuff is here.

I have been going all through the RoF ME manual and Vander's excellent videos.  I can't get the FC ME manual from the forum for some reason.  It won't let me access it.

#13 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 07 August 2018 - 15:04

the FC manual is the same as IL2 BoStalingrad etc.    There are probably videos for it as well.

sig9.png

#14 JimTM

JimTM
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 August 2018 - 21:29

I have been going all through the RoF ME manual and Vander's excellent videos.  I can't get the FC ME manual from the forum for some reason.  It won't let me access it.

You have to be signed in to the forum to download items.

Here are some IL-2 tutorial videos.

Intel i7-3770K 3.50GHz water cooled, ASUS GTX 1080 8GB VRAM, 16GB DDR3-1600, Win 7 on SSD, 3x24" monitors (5923x1080 bezel corrected), CH Fighterstick and Quadrant, MFG Crosswind rudder pedals, TrackIR 5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users