Photo
- - - - -

Trying to use RoF in new pc.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LennieL

LennieL

Posted 31 July 2018 - 23:42

I am trying to use RoF in my new pc.  It worked fine in the old one and it took me about 12 hours to download into the new one (slow connection) and now I find that I can't start the game.  It tells me that my email or password are incorrect.  I tried to adjust my startupcfg file per a suggestion here and when that didn't work I reset my password but I still get the same problem.  I would really appreciate any help in getting me back up in the air.  Thanks.

#2 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:05

Try pressing the 'update' button on the initial splash screen.

#3 LennieL

LennieL

Posted 01 August 2018 - 17:28

Thanks for the suggestion J2_Bidu.

It updated okay but now when I try to start RoF, even after rebooting, it says:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\1C-777\Rise of Flight\bin_game\release\settings.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

How do I go about doing this?  Thanks.

#4 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 01 August 2018 - 19:13

Something to do with the C++ libraries from Microsoft. Nothing ROF specific. You may want to check this:

https://answers.micr...2a-c54839a5881b

Or search on this forum for a successful solution. Good luck!

#5 LennieL

LennieL

Posted 03 August 2018 - 22:49

I uninstalled the old C++ files and downloaded the latest and that didn't help.  However it turns out that the RoF update left an icon on my desktop that took me to the wrong place (settings of some kind) rather than opening the game.  Making a shortcut to the correct startup icon fixed the problem.  Thanks again for your help J2_Bidu.

#6 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 03 August 2018 - 23:01

Glad you made it!:)

#7 passao

passao

Posted 11 August 2018 - 15:13

You need redistributable files C++ 2005 and 2008 with the last update

2005 for the common game, 2008 for settings screen

2005 comes with the original game

2008 is an extra package, better download it from Microsoft

Look for 

vcredist_2008_x86.exe

Game is 32 bits

#8 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:54

Moved to a new pc too. Main game is fine, but Settings.exe is flakey. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't open or gets buggy.
A PC restart helps, but that's not always practical.

Also just noticed that the Updater program won't run and gives a side-by-side error. Not that critical i guess but would like it right.

Here are the vcredist files installed attached

Attached Files

"Gathering his pilots around him on arrival he gave a pep talk, saying that they were equipped with the finest machine of all time and had three battle-experienced flight commanders. He expected every one of them to fight like hell and that it must never be said that any of them ever failed to go to the aid of a comrade, regardless of the cost, and that no patrol was ever to be late in taking off."

Major Keith 'Grid' Caldwell, 74 Sq

#9 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:19

Updater is broken for me too, if I try to run it from the settings app.

If I run it straight from it's exe it works. 

...Rise of Flight\bin_game\release\rof_updater.exe

#10 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:43

Thanks Steve.
I tried running it direct from Release folder, no luck, get the side-by-side error msg. Whereas nothing happens when running from settings.exe.

Do the vcredist files look right?

"Gathering his pilots around him on arrival he gave a pep talk, saying that they were equipped with the finest machine of all time and had three battle-experienced flight commanders. He expected every one of them to fight like hell and that it must never be said that any of them ever failed to go to the aid of a comrade, regardless of the cost, and that no patrol was ever to be late in taking off."

#11 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:35

Updater still uses C++ 2005 and Settings app uses 2008 or 2010 can't remember which.

EDIT: 

2005 C++ for rof_updater.exe

https://www.microsof...on.aspx?id=5638

2008 C++ for settings.exe

https://www.microsof...on.aspx?id=5582

#12 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 14 August 2018 - 13:16

Thanks Steve,

For some reason that 2005 link didn't work for me so i hunted around at the MS site looking for it. There are a couple of versions but ultimately this one did the trick  - Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)

From this link - https://www.microsof...ls.aspx?id=5638

So now my RoF is ready for the next update :icon_e_biggrin:

Cheers!

#13 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 09 September 2018 - 07:41

I recently had a problem with being unable to start the Rise of Flight (RoF) Mission Editor due to this same side-by-side configuration error. J2_Bidu pointed out this thread, and I've tried various combinations. The ones that worked for me was:

https://www.microsof...on.aspx?id=5638-- 2005 VC++

https://www.microsof...on.aspx?id=5582-- 2008 VC++

Note that they are both called vcredist_x86.exe , so either rename them as vcredist_x86_2005.exe and vcredist_x86+2008.exe  on download, or do one completely before downloading the other. Also, these are installation packages (ie. download them, then double-click them to run/install). You can check that they are installed by looking at the Control Panel, Programs and Features list. I know that this post is a bit off-topic, but the root cause of the ME not running was the same as this problem here, and I wanted to make a mention of the Mission Editor so a future search engine will turn up this thread as a result. Also, thanks to J2_SteveF, US103+Baer and J2_Bidu for the information and pointers. I'm very happy this is working again for me.

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

#14 JGS4_Te

JGS4_Te

Posted 02 December 2018 - 03:42

Key for me getting the ROF.exe and Settings files to open was installing the vcredist_x86.exe (C++ 2008 version did it for me) with "run as administrator."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users