Photo
- - - - -

Problems with Keyboard Controls

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StephFarelle

StephFarelle

Posted 25 June 2018 - 00:23

Hi, everyone.  I recently downloaded the free version of this game to give it a try.  I tried doing the tutorial mission for the controls, but no matter how many times I reset the controls or reassigned them, I couldn't get the cursor keys to control the roll and pitch of the plane.  I even tested that the game was registering the input with the in game menu option that allows to track the control inputs and change between a linear and s curve pattern of inputs.  My Keyboard uses a PS/2 connector, as it's a very old IBM model M.  All of the other control inputs seem to work perfectly... the only ones giving me grief are the cursor keys.  Any advice to fix the issue?  I really want to test the game out. :<

#2 Lt.Vaughn

Lt.Vaughn

Posted 26 June 2018 - 05:33

Your keyboard is probably working fine. To attract more players, Rise of Flight was added to the Steam game service sometime ago. At that time "mouse" control was added in favor of using the cursor keys. It appears that you can re-program the flight control surfaces to letter keys on the keyboard but, the keys will stop working quickly.

At the very minimum you will need to setup the game in the Options > General page for "mouse" control and use a mouse to control pitch & roll. The Z/X keys are set by default to control the planes yaw. Flying in this manner is awkward and very uncomfortable compared to using a joystick but, it can be done.

If all you wish to accomplish is to get a plane into the air and "try out" RoF for awhile, mouse control is you minimum option.

~S  :wacko:

Tony Stark is my pilot.

#3 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 26 June 2018 - 06:33

I would highly suggest getting a Joystick. Even if its a super cheap one it makes it so much better. One with twist for rudder is very useful.

S!

Stumble.

Its actually an Honor to get stung by a bee.

It hates you so much, that its willing to die just

to cause you a mild amount of pain.

#4 StephFarelle

StephFarelle

Posted 06 July 2018 - 21:27

Thanks for the advice, guys.  It kinda sucks that they made the intended keyboard controls useless.  As much as I'd love to play with a joystick or controller, I am unable to acquire a joystick or wired controller at the moment, due to not having the money to do so.  Hell, I'm running this game on a PC that I scrapped together from a decomissioned HP minitower from my university, which was gifted to me.  I upgraded it as much as I could with an older compatible GPU and 4GB of DDR2 RAM (the most the motherboard seems to support.) But yeah, thanks for replying to my question ^.^

#5 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:50

Thanks for the advice, guys.  It kinda sucks that they made the intended keyboard controls useless.  As much as I'd love to play with a joystick or controller, I am unable to acquire a joystick or wired controller at the moment, due to not having the money to do so.  Hell, I'm running this game on a PC that I scrapped together from a decomissioned HP minitower from my university, which was gifted to me.  I upgraded it as much as I could with an older compatible GPU and 4GB of DDR2 RAM (the most the motherboard seems to support.) But yeah, thanks for replying to my question ^.^

I'm not sure what the problem is with trying to assign the cursor keys - it should work, but after a bit of testing I can confirm that it doesn't seem to work (even making sure that joystick and not mouse control is ticked and removing all conflicting references to the cursor keys in the controls setup).  

Fundamentally though, although it is possible to fly the planes using mouse control it's really not worth it.  Wait until you can save up the $15 or so it takes to get a decent cheap joystick off of eBay - you will definitely enjoy RoF way more that way.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#6 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:03

Are you in the US?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users