- - - - -

FreeTrack viability

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ResonantCard1

ResonantCard1
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 14 June 2018 - 18:25

Hi guys, I just started playing this game, and I have to say that it's amazing. It caught my attention pretty fast, and now I'm planning to build a FreeTrack system and use it with alongside an xbox controller, if I get it to work on the game. I'm playing with the mouse, but it's not as accurate as I would like, so I will use a gamepad until I can get my joystick delivered. 

So, the question is, is FreeTrack compatible with Rise of Flight? If so, is there anything I should have in consideration when setting it up?

Thanks in advance, and good hunt! 

¡Vista, Suerte, y al Toro!

#2 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted 14 June 2018 - 19:56

Yes, there are several options and someone more experienced will be along shortly to help you out. I used face track for awhile until I gave up and just learned to use my mouse to look around. I now have track ir.

#3 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted 14 June 2018 - 19:58

Here, check this thread out:

https://riseofflight...ap/#entry695687

#4 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:13

Hi ResonantCard1

I use Freetrack with a diy LED clip, so it definitely works ok for RoF (and BoX with the right 64bit NPClient.dll file). However, considered opinion is that Opentrack is a better tracking software option at this point as it is newer and still supported. Certainly the curve graphs on opentrack have more a 'normal' axis assignment!

I stick with Freetrack because i have the Nintendo Wiimote as an IR camera and Opentrack doesn't support that. For most converted webcams opentrack will be fine.

Do feel free to reach out if you have more questions and also try Searching older threads here, there's plenty of info around.

BxlHM7Q.png                  HaO2aNP.png

#5 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:50

Ask Planky about Free Track, He is very experienced with that. I'm sure he is happy to help.

I personally think open track/ Face Track No IR is better as it is more up to date and allows you to play with more games.

Making up a track hat is super simple, just order these leds off Ebay ( https://www.ebay.com...FH485p&_sacat=0) then you'll need a 2 x AA battery pack holder with a switch (I use Rechargeable batteries). This gives you 2.4V so then find good resistors (I'm not sure which ones I use for mine but I can check if u want me to) and hook em up in Parallel. I made a little cardboard thing for my hat, I'll send pictures soon.

The best option is to get a PS3 eye camera as its super cheap and supports up to 60 FPS. You will need to dismantle this and remove the IR Light filter. I spent a lot of time trying to take apart my camera when i first got it but nothing was working. Turns out the best way is to get a big flat head screw driver, get a little leverage into the side of the web cam and twist. I'm sure I saw some video somewhere. Let me look for it XD

After the IR filter is removed you need to replace it with a visible light filter and your good to go. For this filter you can use the inside of a floppy disc, film negative or even a proper thing that they use for cameras.

If you have any problems, feel free to ask for help!

S!

Stumble.

Its actually an Honor to get stung by a bee.

It hates you so much, that its willing to die just

to cause you a mild amount of pain.

#6 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 15 June 2018 - 09:54

This might be helpful: https://riseofflight...-cheap-heres-h/

IMG_20180615_215100.jpg

#7 ResonantCard1

ResonantCard1
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:00

Hi ResonantCard1

I use Freetrack with a diy LED clip, so it definitely works ok for RoF (and BoX with the right 64bit NPClient.dll file). However, considered opinion is that Opentrack is a better tracking software option at this point as it is newer and still supported. Certainly the curve graphs on opentrack have more a 'normal' axis assignment!

I stick with Freetrack because i have the Nintendo Wiimote as an IR camera and Opentrack doesn't support that. For most converted webcams opentrack will be fine.

Do feel free to reach out if you have more questions and also try Searching older threads here, there's plenty of info around.

Nice, are your LEDs IR? Also, is there a homepage for Opentrack? Something similar to FreeTrack's, I found that very helpful, and given that I'm just starting with this I would like to have some kind of tutorial that explains how it's set up and all

#8 ResonantCard1

ResonantCard1
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:04

Ask Planky about Free Track, He is very experienced with that. I'm sure he is happy to help.

I personally think open track/ Face Track No IR is better as it is more up to date and allows you to play with more games.

Making up a track hat is super simple, just order these leds off Ebay ( https://www.ebay.com...FH485p&_sacat=0) then you'll need a 2 x AA battery pack holder with a switch (I use Rechargeable batteries). This gives you 2.4V so then find good resistors (I'm not sure which ones I use for mine but I can check if u want me to) and hook em up in Parallel. I made a little cardboard thing for my hat, I'll send pictures soon.

The best option is to get a PS3 eye camera as its super cheap and supports up to 60 FPS. You will need to dismantle this and remove the IR Light filter. I spent a lot of time trying to take apart my camera when i first got it but nothing was working. Turns out the best way is to get a big flat head screw driver, get a little leverage into the side of the web cam and twist. I'm sure I saw some video somewhere. Let me look for it XD

After the IR filter is removed you need to replace it with a visible light filter and your good to go. For this filter you can use the inside of a floppy disc, film negative or even a proper thing that they use for cameras.

If you have any problems, feel free to ask for help!

S!

Stumble.

This might be helpful: https://riseofflight...-cheap-heres-h/

IMG_20180615_215100.jpg

Cool stuff, thanks for the help! I was going to use some IR LEDs and a webcam that we have laying around, but if I can get the PS3 camera, as you say, I may try to. 

#9 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 15 June 2018 - 16:53

Nice, are your LEDs IR? Also, is there a homepage for Opentrack? Something similar to FreeTrack's, I found that very helpful, and given that I'm just starting with this I would like to have some kind of tutorial that explains how it's set up and all

Yup IR. I used normal IR LEDs but apparently wide angle ones are much better. If i build another i'll definitely try those.

Perhaps an OpenTrack user could help with the 2nd question?

BxlHM7Q.png                  HaO2aNP.png

#10 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 15 June 2018 - 17:12

I'm also a Freetrack user with a DiY ballcap (with IR leds from Radio Shack) and a $10 webcam from Fry's (that I removed the IR filter from and replace with a small piece of floppy disk substrate). I've used it for years and it works great on every flight sim I've tried it with  (RoF, FSX, DCS, BMS).  

I dabbled with Opentrack a few years ago, but I couldn't get that to work right (it was on Win 8.1 at that time, so who knows if that was problematic?). Anyway, I switched back to Freetrack and it works just fine (I'm on WIn 10 these days).

In the very early days, I also used FaceTrackNoIR for a little while with just the webcam to introduce myself to head tracking.  It worked passably well (any of the LED solutions will be better though) and convinced me that head tracking is a "must-have" for me, and prompted me to build the rig I use today...  I had published an article on our New Wings website about it, but that article got eaten up in our site crash in 2016, and I've not recovered it from the old forum wreckage.

In any case, if you have some simple electronic skills, it's pretty easy to build, set up, and use.  The LED's cost a buck or two each from Radio Shack (you can probably find them cheaper online), and everything else was already lying around in my "junk box", so the cost, in my case, was under $20 total, and an afternoon of tinkering around to put it together.

Regards,

:icon_e_salute:

#11 ResonantCard1

ResonantCard1
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 15 June 2018 - 21:18

Yup IR. I used normal IR LEDs but apparently wide angle ones are much better. If i build another i'll definitely try those.

Perhaps an OpenTrack user could help with the 2nd question?

Cool. I've found an electric material shop in my city, I'll drop by next week and look for some LEDs and cables and stuff. I may get both IR and red ones, just in case. but, even if I use red leds, should I get an IR-pass filter for my camera and install it?

#12 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 16 June 2018 - 00:03

Cool. I've found an electric material shop in my city, I'll drop by next week and look for some LEDs and cables and stuff. I may get both IR and red ones, just in case. but, even if I use red leds, should I get an IR-pass filter for my camera and install it?

I think u want to look for LEDs with a flat head. I think this allows u to have a wider view. It means you can turn your head further and the camera will still see you. I did hear somewhere that u can even file down the tips of normal LEDs but idk how that works.

Not sure if I made sense just then. XD

#13 raker

raker

Posted 20 June 2018 - 13:20

I use a DIY EDTracker with opentrack. You could check edtracker.org.uk for the DIY version or edtracker.co.uk for the pro version.

Check this out. 

and this thread

https://riseofflight...en-track-issue/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users