Lack of MP Servers? Tech Issue?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Odovacer

Odovacer
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 05 June 2018 - 18:01

Hello,

I'm a bit late to the RoF party, had to get a decent machine to run it and acquire a decent joystick (TM 16000 arrived yesterday). I've started getting into the game again. Last week, before I got the joystick, I was poking around getting re-familiarised and under Multiplayer there were quite a few servers including Noob friendly ones.  Yesterday, after some login issues I had to Restore. When I went to MP there was one (1) server showing. Today, same thing. I realise this is an older game but looking at the latest topics here, it's obvious there are people still playing. Where are all the servers? If they exist, why aren't they showing in the list.

#2 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 05 June 2018 - 18:18

Make sure that the modifications on check box is unchecked under the game settings tab.

#3 Odovacer

Odovacer

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:26

That's it, all back. Sorry if that was a stupid question, but there's a lot to this game and, well, I'm still learning. Having to wipe all my previous settings didn't help. Cheers!!

#4 No.42_Cuban

No.42_Cuban

Posted 08 June 2018 - 22:53

S! Odovacer, there is a weekly Thursday Night Fly-in that kicks off around 2400GMT, 8PM Eastern US.  Also the  Vintage Missions each Sunday at 1800GMT. All are welcome :)

#5 Odovacer

Odovacer

Posted 11 June 2018 - 12:14

Thanks Cuban, still honing my skills before I tackle MP. I'm still putting the D.Va into a flat spin on occasion and I'm hopeless in the S.E.5a. I'm a danger to myself and everyone around me!  :icon_e_biggrin:

#6 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 11 June 2018 - 21:55

So you are the guy that actually takes time to learn before joining MP and shooting friendlies in an overheating Albatros?

I thought you were the stuff of myths!  :icon_eek:

#7 JG1_R.Recon_J11

JG1_R.Recon_J11

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:29

Just come on in Odovacer! Find out what teamspeak everyone is on and you will have more help than you ever would have expected. A lot of knowledgeable and friendly people are on to quickly help you with whatever you'd like to solve!

2r3yseo.jpg

#8 JG1_R.Recon_J11

JG1_R.Recon_J11

Posted 12 June 2018 - 12:33

You can also join a squadron and find plenty of folks to fly with. You dont have to be good, take me for example, to join as they will quickly brting you up to speed. Some are quite laid back while others have various monthly flight time/training requirements. I highly suggest checking them out to find more friends to fly.

2r3yseo.jpg

#9 Odovacer

Odovacer

Posted 13 June 2018 - 00:53

Wow, thanks for all the encouragement. Any recommendations? I joined New Wings site today and downloaded Teamspeak 3. Haven't used TS in awhile but it hasn't changed much. Looking forward to some events with real people.

#10 Odovacer

Odovacer

Posted 13 June 2018 - 00:57

So you are the guy that actually takes time to learn before joining MP and shooting friendlies in an overheating Albatros?

I thought you were the stuff of myths!  :icon_eek:

Lol yeah, but don't get your hopes up. I was on Lost Lake(?) noob server and got lost first time out without any nav aids, and then shot at my wing mate second time out. Aircraft recognition is haaaaard. :) But, I'm learning to use 1.5x so in due time ...

#11 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:57

Hi Odovacer,

As you've discovered, RoF has a distinct learning curve.  That said, don't let that prevent you from enjoying Multiplayer if you have an interest in that.  

First, New Wings hosts the *only* non-pvp server ("Basic Training") in the game, and in there you can feel free to focus on learning to fly your favorite / various aircraft as much as you like, with simple settings (that you can override at your discretion, if you wish, or when you're ready to). That particular server is intended to let you learn at your pace, in a non-competitive environment, and it provides several triggerable AI options to combat ... when you're ready for it.

Also, If you happen to pop in when any of our Admins are on (-NW-Jarvis, or myself frequently spend time in there), we'll be happy to help you work on any skills or plane you're working on. We also have a TS server to help that process along.

Second, New Wings also offers two PvP servers (Fast 'n Furious, and Wargrounds). They both feature the same maps, but FnF allows the simpler settings (icons, padlock etc.) from Basic Training, and Wargrounds is our full "real" server where you need to manage your own plane and its systems, without the simple settings, to do your own navigation, and ID your own targets. They're the next step(s) up from our Basic Training server.

Additionally, several other folks host other servers that can also provide a fun experience.  Some of them are more oriented towards short dogfight scenarios, and some focus more on "realistic" mission oriented experiences.  I'd say that most of the various online servers have something fun to offer, and which of those works best for you will depend on what you're looking for in this simulation / game. Each of them, have their own focus and approach to the game, and you may find some that suit what you're looking for.

In general, most of the online folks are fairly friendly, and if you approach them with a sincere interest, they'll be happy to help you out as much as they can... 

So, to wrap up, it's great that you're flying, and learning the game, but don't feel you must reach a certain skill level before you can hop into, and enjoy the multiplayer experience.

Cheers,

:icon_e_salute:

#12 Odovacer

Odovacer

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:37

Thanks 4-Speed, very good run down on the the server action. I do prefer MP games. I was in a gaming clan years ago (=OF= Old Farts) and still do a lot of team based online gaming. I'm not a Lone Wolf and prefer to act in squads and have a laugh while respecting the content of the game. I'd rather play historical and at a disadvantage then use an exploit for "the win".

So, yeah, MP RoF servers are my goal. I'll give it a go in the next day or so. I was on New Wings Basic last night. Killed a couple of balloons. Got downed by Ack-Ack. Laughed. Crashed on the race-course-target practice thingy. Cried. :) All good fun. See you out there. 

BtW my pilot name is James Bannister, named after a WW1 veteran relative (not an aviator). I think I'd have to start a new career  or something to change the pilot name?

#13 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 13 June 2018 - 13:43

Just go to the top of the ingame screen and change your Profile. You can have 3 different profiles associated to your account.

#14 JG1_R.Recon_J11

JG1_R.Recon_J11

Posted 13 June 2018 - 16:18

Thursday night should be pretty good first time experience. 9pm EST! Don't be scared! :D

2r3yseo.jpg

#15 JG1_R.Recon_J11

JG1_R.Recon_J11

Posted 13 June 2018 - 16:19

You can create a new profile with new name. Linkn is at top of screen in main menu. Little person shape

2r3yseo.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users