Good bye, my friends

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 May 2018 - 17:55

Salute all!

There's no easy way to go about this, really. I have been involved in Rise of Flight since 2012 and loved every minute of it. But there comes a time when all good things must come to an end. As of today, I am leaving the Rise of Flight community. 

I am not bitter or angry. I am not disillusioned. Please understand that no one drove me away. This is merely me entering a new stage in my life; a stage where I need to focus on other things. Although it is one of the hardest decisions I've ever made, it is the right one for where I'm at.

For six years, I have poured myself into this community. It has been my privilege and pleasure to do so. I was there as development shifted away from Rise of Flight, and now, as I leave, the future is brighter than ever for WW1 flight sims. Keep the dream alive, gents. 

The one thing I'll regret most about leaving is missing the friendships I've formed - too many to count. It has been an absolute honor to know you all. Thank-you for the cameraderie, training, sparring, and flying. I will deeply miss it. 

I will never say never, but at this time in my life, this is goodbye. 

Salute and blue skies to you all!
- JG1_Hotlead

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#2 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 26 May 2018 - 18:43

Sorry to see you go. :icon_e_salute:

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#3 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow

Posted 26 May 2018 - 18:53

But you can't leave.  I need to avenge myself after what you did to me Thursday night :icon_mad:  :icon_lol:

Seriously though it does stink to see you go.  Let me guess you discovered a good looking Fraulein?

#4 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 26 May 2018 - 20:00

Your a Good Man Charlie Brown !!  :icon_e_salute:

Sorry About That                                                           

#5 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 26 May 2018 - 20:35

Pity in seeing youngblood going, but who knows: See you at the FC arena.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#6 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 26 May 2018 - 20:38

Best Wishes to you HLCF. It was great fun flying with (and against you).

Perhaps, after you get done exploring this next road in your life, the trail may loop around, and we'll see you again.

Cheers,

:icon_e_salute:

#7 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • LocationR E S I G N E D 13/6/2018 veryuseful.info/rof

Posted 26 May 2018 - 20:52

As of today, I am leaving the Rise of Flight community.

Whether or not this turns out to be a Plank-style departure, I have one piece of advice: Establishments valuing their reputation are obliged to enforce a dress code.

#8 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 26 May 2018 - 20:57

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

J5_Hellbender

#9 mitragliatore71

mitragliatore71
  • LocationItaly

Posted 26 May 2018 - 20:58

You just bought the new pedals?

I don't believe, you're kidding! :icon_e_biggrin:

#10 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 26 May 2018 - 21:03

Sad to see you go, although I expect it isn't the last time I'll ever run into the infamous Hotlead... 

I'll miss watching those Thursday fly-in streams!

Until next time  :icon_e_salute:

XFtMIXn.png                             tyPpSAY.png

#11 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 26 May 2018 - 21:31

Salute, Hotlead! See you one of these days, maybe.

#12 Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Posted 26 May 2018 - 21:49

So I guess N28's are back to being shitty again...

#13 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 26 May 2018 - 22:04

Godspeed!

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#14 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 26 May 2018 - 23:15

Sorry to se you leave HL. It was nice getting to know you. Good luck with your endeavours.  :icon_e_salute:

#15 =Tally=

=Tally=
  • LocationBeer is colder, Girls are prettier, Boobs are bigger, Bread rises faster, and the BBQ is better in TEXAS

Posted 26 May 2018 - 23:24

Vaya con Dios!

:icon_cool:  :icon_e_salute: 

#16 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 27 May 2018 - 00:15

Good luck to you, in all your endeavors! The game can sometimes interfere with life, and we must remember that life is more important. In extreme cases, you can always fly a little in a dream :-) However, the translation of "Good bye" in my language sounds like "See you" :-)

#17 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 00:28

Salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

#18 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:34

Sorry to see you go. Hopefully you will drop in to visit from time to time. It's been a pleasure speaking with you as well as flying with and against you.

Best of luck in your future endeavors.

S!!!  Willi

#19 US103_Hobbs

US103_Hobbs

Posted 27 May 2018 - 02:42

Salute!  This is downright surreal.  Take care!

#20 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:19

Thanks for the fond farewell, guys! 

Hillbilly: It has been fun flying on your Ma and Pa's Basement server! I have had some awesome times rockin' DH.2s and E.IIIs there. Thanks for keeping that server going! 

Furlow: Haha, yeah I think I timed my exit perfectly on that note. You were bound to get me (again) sooner or later. No good-looking Fraulein as of yet, but that was one of the reasons for me leaving. If I find someone and start a family with her, I'll need to be available for her. ;)

Agent86: I remember flying against you and your Camel waaay back when I first started! You're one of the guys who first really taught me to respect that crate! 

Dutch2: Flying Circus sounds awesome, but I'm probably not going to be there. You'll have to shoot down some Entente garlic-eaters for me!  :icon_mad:

FourSpeed: It has been an absolute pleasure knowing you Sir!!! I have extremely fond memories of us stooging around during the old Tuesday Night Fly-Ins, trying to fit Handley Pages under bridges and land Sopwith Camels on islands the size of my back yard. It was a hoot! Thank-you for moderating and keeping up the New Wings servers. I wish you guys the best of luck as you enter the Flying Circus world.  

Arty_Effem: Fair enough point. I still like my JG1 tag though.  :icon_e_biggrin:

Hellbender: You were an old hand at this already when I first started. I've always kinda looked at you and Cpt Darling with something approaching awe. You guys will be a force to be reckoned with in Flying Circus! However, I probably am actually leaving...not merely checking out. 

mitragliatore71: Yes, I just bought new pedals. No, I'm not kidding. This probably seems very sudden, but it's been brewing for a few months now. While I have absolutely loved my time here, I have a family who is my first priority. I've always enjoyed sharing the skies with you. Keep JGS4 ruling the skies in those Albatrosses, man!  

J2_Wulfe: You Sir, are one of the rising stars of this community. I mean, you've only been here less than a year and you've already busted my best kill streak. Keep it up, man - the sky's the limit! Also, the few times I've flown with you, I have enjoyed it immensely. I appreciate your mix of humor and tactical thinking.  

J2_Bidu: I remember interviewing you for the ROF promo video a few months back. I still love your comments and think they really accurately represent what it is to fight in ROF. It has been a pleasure flying with/against you! 

Hrafn_Kolbrandr: Oooor...you could give 'em a go! Someone's gotta teach those D.VIIf drivers to fear the N.28!  :icon_e_biggrin: It's been fun running into you every once and a while in NFF. Blue skies man. 

SeaW0lf: I remember trying to beat you in your Dr 1 a few years back. Didn't work out so well for me lol!  :icon_e_deadman: Seriously though, it was a pleasure dueling you back then, and it's nice to see you around the forums again. 

J2_Adam: When it comes to pilots, you are the tops. A crack shot and an expert pilot. I have seriously enjoyed our run-ins and really appreciated the opportunity to get to know you a bit better in the last few years. Keep putting the fear of German efficiency into those Entente boys! Salute!  

=Tally=: Thank-you! I do indeed. He never leaves me nor forsakes me. 

=VS=emely: Yes indeed, real life comes first. I have a high respect for you and the rest of your Russian wingmen. You are a tight-knit group who always have each other's backs. I know that if I attack one of you, I'll usually have to fight all of you lol! Keep it up, guys!  

Plank: It's been entertaining knowing you old chum. I'll have a crumpet in your honor. 

J5_Klugermann: I'll miss hearing your Jersey accent over teamspeak man. When you're on the server, I instinctively start checking my high six. Usually, I only see the sun, but you never know...  :icon_lol: It has been a pleasure flying with you. 

US103_Hobbs: I know, right? But I really do need to go. I have immensely enjoyed watching you grow as a pilot. You and the US103rd are going to be a definite force to be reckoned with in Flying Circus. While all those other Allied squads will be reforming and getting their acts back together, you guys will hit the ground running to the sound of Hispano engines and 11mm balloon guns. I pity the Central pilots in your gunsights.  

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#21 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:35

Auf Wiedersehen!

Sorry to see you go but hope all goes well in your new endeavors.

Hope things work out so we see you again at some point after Flying Circus arrives.  In the meantime, good luck and fare well.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#22 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:40

I'm sorry to see you go, my friend :(
Still hope I'll see you in Flying Circus!

#23 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:32

Ah... the n28 vs d7f duel... it was so long ago... I am still flummoxed to this day...

S!

Planky.

PS. I have crate of "borrowed" marmalade with your name on it...  ; - )

-

Captured again!

#24 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:12

All the best JG1 Hotlead, you will be missed.

Yourself, that pesky Fleabag and Cloaked Careful were always a hoot to fly with.

Terrorising servers in Brandenbergs and the like !

And somehow you managed to turn a RoF N28 into a lethal killing machine :icon_mad:.

Never heard you say a bad word about anyone, not many of us here can claim that.

You clearly have your head screwed on and will go far whatever you do in life.

I'm sure we'll see you again in the skies somewhere in a future space and time.

ZF

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#25 US103_Hunter

US103_Hunter
  • LocationOver The Front!

Posted 27 May 2018 - 13:47

Just saw this!

Unexpected indeed and a big hole to be filled by your absence. All the best bud, let us know if you need anything!

S!

Hunter

103rd%20forum%20sig.jpg

#26 FlyingShark

FlyingShark

Posted 27 May 2018 - 16:37

Sorry to see you go.

Good luck for the future.

And come back any time you want.

Have a nice day.

You can vote my post up by clicking the green arrow on the right.

#27 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 27 May 2018 - 17:12

Hellbender: You were an old hand at this already when I first started. I've always kinda looked at you and Cpt Darling with something approaching awe. You guys will be a force to be reckoned with in Flying Circus! However, I probably am actually leaving...not merely checking out. 

Thank you for the kind words, sir. The feelings of admiration are mutual.

I've bid all of this farewell before, sold all my gear (except for my trustied old MSFFB2), and then ended up buying it all again (I actually have MFG Crosswinds now, the best pedals on the planet -- they are better pedals than the pedals in the real planes I fly).

If you love flightsimming, and flight in general -- and you do -- you will come back to it at some point in your life. It may be in a month, in a year, or in many years, but don't ever feel ashamed to do so.

That said, taking a break is good. I'd almost say it's a necessity. Go explore the other possibilities life has to offer.

We're holding your seat.

J5_Hellbender

#28 Kelp44

Kelp44
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 27 May 2018 - 17:48

That’s only what you think, dear HLCF, cause pretty soon we'll see you around again teaching the ropes to some offspring )))

All the best man, to you and that pretty lucky lady!

#29 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 May 2018 - 21:35

Panthercules: Thank-you! I've always admired your dedication to all things skin-related. The skinpacks links, useful materials pages, and text documents you've compiled are absolutely fantastic for the community! I also admired how you were a staunch proponent of ROF, even when it wasn't the "in thing" any longer. It's been a pleasure knowing you on the forums here. Salute! 

ST_ami7b5: It was always extremely entertaining to run into you trolls in the Flying Circus and Aces Falling servers! Keep the new skies in Flying Circus exciting for those new boys...and try not to troll them sooo hard lol! 

Zooropa_Fly: I loved crossing paths with you on Aces Falling and NFF. We had a heck of a time with you, and I always remember that you were the Flea's favorite person to duel with. Thank-you for the kind words, Sir. Blue skies to you! :) 

US103_Hunter: I remember back when you used to be a JG1_vonKost, you told me from time to time how you noticed a lack of American Aerosquadrons in the game. At the time, I thought nothing of it, until about a year later, lo and behold, a new group sprung up - the US103rd! It has been a pleasure seeing your group grow to where it is now. And I think it will continue to grow in the future! I may rag on the Entente boys a bit (force of habit - I'm a Jasta guy lol) but you have my utmost respect. Blue skies and many more years to your group, Hunter. Salute! 

FlyingShark: Thank-you! You're part of an increasingly rare breed of pilots who were there in ROF mainly before I can remember. As such, you have my respect! I haven't flown much with you, but I appreciate the well-wishes. Show all those noobies in Flying Circus what a veteran is capable of! 

Kelp44: Thanks man! I've enjoyed reading your posts in the dueling thread. Keep the spark of chivalry and honor alive, Sir. Salute! 

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#30 =CfC=FatherTed

=CfC=FatherTed

Posted 28 May 2018 - 21:44

Late to this thread - sorry chap.  What you've done in the community over the past few years has definitely breathed a bit of life into the old dog, so many thanks for that.

Never say never though.  Whatever has changed in your life you can always accommodate a smidge of RoF....

#31 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:06

I remember trying to beat you in your Dr 1 a few years back. Didn't work out so well for me lol!  :icon_e_deadman: Seriously though, it was a pleasure dueling you back then, and it's nice to see you around the forums again. 

Show up at FC from time to time if you can. We all gonna be there perhaps for the next decade!

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#32 I_Got_Shot

I_Got_Shot

Posted 29 May 2018 - 08:43

Good luck in the future HLCF,

I hope all goes well for you and I'm sure we will all run into you on another format. Been great to fly with and against you - always a challenge of the best kind.

Thanks for your contribution towards the community - it's been fun, once again all the best.

Regards Shot

#33 Ceowulf

Ceowulf
  • LocationA long way from Tipperary

Posted 29 May 2018 - 20:43

Soli Deo Gloria, Hotlead.

<><
Ceowulf

#34 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 May 2018 - 21:48

=CfC=FatherTed: Thank-you! I always enjoyed reading your posts on the forums. I appreciate your level-headed wisdom. :)

I_Got_Shot: It has been an honor to fly with and against you as well! I consider you to be the best Camel pilot in the skies right now - bar none. What you can do with that bird is nothing short of jaw-dropping! Salute and blue skies, Shot!

Ceowulf: Couldn't have said it any better. That's why I have tried to act as I have during the time I was privileged to be a part of this awesome community. I can also see His light reflected in your own posts. In that sense, you've been an inspiration to me. Keep it up, man. To God alone be the glory.  :icon_e_salute:

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#35 sturtz

sturtz
  • LocationOklahoma. United States

Posted 30 May 2018 - 22:00

As I've told you HotLead. Your the reason I got back into flight sims. For those who don't know,, I had stumbled onto some ROF vids on YouTube and remembered the sim back when it came out. Having been a serious combat flight guy from Red Baron 3/D to IL-2 Forgotten Battles I had taken a long break from the virtual skies. Did a search on FB one day and hooked up with HotLead. He got me all hooked up and ready to fly again. But this is something he has done for many others whether new to sims or an old hack. His generous nature and faith in the Lord was plain to see. Besides being a great squadron mate and leader,, he's got the SA like nobody's business.

Salute to you HotLead and a Big Thanks for all you've done.

JG1_Sturtz..Jasta11

Sturtz

#36 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationNew Zealand. That little island near Aussie :)

Posted 31 May 2018 - 00:29

Haere rā!!

It's been a pleasure knowing you Hotlead. You made me feel super welcome when I first joined the forums. Thanks again for the great twitch streams! Watching them for sure helped me out a bit. XD

See you soon.

Salute!
Stumble.

Its actually an Honor to get stung by a bee.

It hates you so much, that its willing to die just

to cause you a mild amount of pain.

#37 No.42_Cuban

No.42_Cuban

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:49

Well Hotlead, happy for you that your tour is up and you're going home.  Needless to say you will be missed around the aerodrome and the mess.  Deep thanks for all the hardwork keeping the community going, we're going to miss the twitch streams and the laughs bud.  Gents like you never disappear, they tend to pop up when you least expect it, so I'll live in the hope of seeing you up there again my friend. 

Take care of yourself and keep fighting the good fight.  *Raises glass* To Hotlead!! Hip hip Huzzah! :)

#38 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 31 May 2018 - 14:17

Just got back into internet range after a couple of weeks and the first post I read is this!
Hotlead, it feels very sudden. FC and all that coming, hope all is well.

It will be real quiet without you. I've watched nearly everything RoF-related you've posted and learned so much from it all. Videos of you, Barton and Luftritter in FiF helped get me into MP in the first place.
(And I swear the NEXT bounce was gonna be the one i made stick!)

Anyway, wish you all the best. You've been a real gentleman and will be much missed.

ncFs13h.png                         HaO2aNP.png

#39 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 01 June 2018 - 04:27

It’s a good choice to leave the ship now, before it takes its final plunge into the depths of Davy Jones’s locker. Probably ought to keep the joystick and pedals and throttle though, because you never know what the future of flight sim brings.

#40 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 01 June 2018 - 16:25

just c'mon Ice...
The ship is not yet sinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users