Photo
- - - - -

Pilot AI and plane handling too perfect

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bladesaint

Bladesaint

Posted 07 December 2009 - 06:40

Basically, the AI pilots never make mistakes and fly their planes to the edge of the envelope at all times. When damaged, lost wing, bent wings, they still outfly you and never crash until the plane falls apart, as in both wings of a side fall off.

Your plane on the otherhand is difficult to fly with even minor structural damage and if a wing falls off, you were shot down. Your plane also always shakes making accurate aiming unlikely.

The AI pilots never miss, always see you coming, always gain advantage even while missing a wing.

You and others may like unreal aces for practice, but most games that offer the ultimate challenge AI (pilot) also offer a setting with normal AI (pilots). Some games spawn both pilot types and check the difficulty setting. Then the unneeded pilot types are given a self-destruct order. So, very easy to do this in any game script.

#2 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:22

I'm sorry, i don't agree with you :?

AI are almost perfect, i can say the best AI ever seen…
They miss you when firing, at least since 1.008 update, and when they shoot you, that's because of you. They now try to avoid your burst, almost a human way, and they are able of nice acrobatics.
They make some mistake too, i would say 30% of the time, that's why you see them sometimes hit the ground without your bullet in.
And when they have dammage, be sure they can't fly as good as before. I noticed that plenty of time. But be carefull : a dammage plane is still dangerous!
For myself, once i shot down a plane with my engine stopped dead…belive or not.

But you're right saying they always see you coming. In fact, we can't surprise them…for the moment ;) That's one of my "official" wish…and i'm pretty sure Neoqb will do something in the future :P
If you really think AI is too good, only one thing to do : practice as we all did!
Regards

#3 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 07 December 2009 - 10:43

Um, actually, I'd like the most silly powerful AI possible.

It's the best training you can get to prepare for facing actual people online, which is really what this sim is about, methinks.

J5_Hellbender

#4 gavagai

gavagai

Posted 07 December 2009 - 15:11

Basically, the AI pilots never make mistakes and fly their planes to the edge of the envelope at all times. When damaged, lost wing, bent wings, they still outfly you and never crash until the plane falls apart, as in both wings of a side fall off.

Your plane on the otherhand is difficult to fly with even minor structural damage and if a wing falls off, you were shot down. Your plane also always shakes making accurate aiming unlikely.

The AI pilots never miss, always see you coming, always gain advantage even while missing a wing.

You and others may like unreal aces for practice, but most games that offer the ultimate challenge AI (pilot) also offer a setting with normal AI (pilots). Some games spawn both pilot types and check the difficulty setting. Then the unneeded pilot types are given a self-destruct order. So, very easy to do this in any game script.

Funny, I don't find the AI too difficult (more challenging than IL-2 fortunately). Even the "Ace" AI make noob ACM mistakes. I suggest you keep practicing.

#5 MattM

MattM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 20:34

Um, actually, I'd like the most silly powerful AI possible.

It's the best training you can get to prepare for facing actual people online, which is really what this sim is about, methinks.
Not until the MP mode works flawlessly please…
Otherwise we don't have a playable singleplayer, nor multiplayer mode.

Anyway, the AI does seem a little weak right now. Especially because it doesn't turn as hard as it could. Also SPAD, SE5 for instance don't use boom&zoom at all.

I think ROF really needs a difficulty lever for singleplayer, so we can decide if we want a sniper AI like in 1.007 or the AI we have right now in 1.009 or something in between.

#6 =Fifi=

=Fifi=

Posted 07 December 2009 - 21:54

I think ROF really needs a difficulty lever for singleplayer, so we can decide if we want a sniper AI like in 1.007 or the AI we have right now in 1.009 or something in between.

No sniper anymore please…it was absolutly unrealistic in 1.007 :o
I think, as you said, AI needs to boom/zoom with the right planes to do that, and to try to save themselves if bad trouble, instead of fighting to death with absolutly no chance to success. We could try to follow them before they pass the front line…
Just a human way of doing…but it's hard to realise :D
Regards

#7 NakedSquirrel

NakedSquirrel
  • Tester

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:51

I still find it easy to outmanuver AI in any aircraft type. Once I'm on their 6, they don't seem to do any manuvers to shake me. The only AI aircraft that comes close is the Dr.1 because of its tendency to dive away… only prolonging the inevitable…

AI would put up a better fight if they didn't hesitate so much in their turns once you get behind them. For instance, a Pfalz can't out turn a camel, but the AI will stop turning, fly straight for a dozen meters then start turning again. It's still way too easy to gun down AI, but they are getting better.

Also, the SPAD needs its AI tweaked to something similar to the Se5a. It still tries to turn with German fighters. Whenever I think the SPAD will make a break for it, it just starts turning with me again which is just wreckless and silly. The SE5A however, usually escapes and grabs altitude which is a fantastic tactic. It just needs to learn when to make a dive and it would be a formidable opponent.

#8 Bladesaint

Bladesaint

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:29

Well I can't play RoF. The SP AI is too perfect or maybe because I only have padlock enemy to track planes instead of Tracker IR. That's why I say their should be and easily could be Normal AI and Ace AI. The mission just spawns both types of pilots and checks to see which AI group to give a self destruct order to. This works in any mission scripting setup usually. That way players who plan to play online get their Ace AI to practice with and those who aren't interested in online play can have some fun with RoF. Maybe one day they will be interested enough to try online multiplayer too.

Anyway, I was playing version 1.008 with reasonable success, but haven't shot down one plane in version 1.009. Mostly I go up against a Fokker DR1 and get headshot or my plane takes critical damage on the first or second pass, meanwhile I score bullseye hits and the AI takes no damage or flies up and away with one wing missing.

It also seems like the 1.009 AI pilots are too aerobatic, making unrealistic manuevers that would cause stalling or the wings to rip off or the pilot to black out or at least become dizzy if they were human.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users