* * * * * 1 votes

"Dreifacher Arger" (Triple Trouble)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Todt_Von_Oben

Todt_Von_Oben
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:53

In ROF I have always flown DV.a's and Dr.1's with the early "Blacktail" Jasta 12 default skin.  Several months ago a friend got me started working on a personalized skin for the game and here's a model showing what I came up with.

The name of Todt's triplane is "Dreifacher Arger" (German for "Triple Trouble".)

Basically, it's just Jasta-12 early default with a black trident on the fuselage and a black engine cowling.

The model is frame and fabric construction, 1/16th scale, wingspan 18 inches.

Enjoy!  

Attached Files

#2 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:23

Nice plausible skin. Good job.

#3 Todt_Von_Oben

Todt_Von_Oben
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:06

Danke!  

This was based on Authentic Models #AP 208 Fokker triplane which arrives pre-built, nylon skin on wooden frame, painted red and white.  The prop spun but the Oberursel did not.  I fixed that.

I also considered cowling colors and finally opted for gray. 

So: TVO's Dr.1 skin is basically a default J-12 early "Blacktail" in streaked camo with black trident on the fuselage; medium gray cowling and leading edges.  Final.  

Here's a pic of the model with the prop and engine turning together.  

Prosit!   :icon_e_salute:

Attached Files

#4 Todt_Von_Oben

Todt_Von_Oben
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:04

Friend Damir Paul Fillen in Brazil made this for me.   :icon_e_smile:

Attached Files

#5 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted 28 May 2018 - 17:16

Looks great!

#6 Todt_Von_Oben

Todt_Von_Oben
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 28 May 2018 - 23:25

Thanks Recon!   :icon_e_salute:

Here's another Damir did showing the front end.  Enjoy!

Attached Files

#7 Todt_Von_Oben

Todt_Von_Oben
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 28 May 2018 - 23:44

The skin for Todt Von Oben's triplane "Dreifacher Arger" (Triple Trouble) evolved from an ROF early default Jasta 12 "Blacktail"  in camo with old-style crosses.  I wanted the emblem to send a message but not be too ostentatious.  I chose the simple black trident because (1) it would have been easy to paint by hand in the field 100 years ago; (2) it maintains the "triple" concept; and (3) the trident is a traditional weapon of the ancient gladiators, and in some ways I think WWI aviators were like "gladiators of the sky."  The gray cowling was done for camouflage against tail gunners.  Black is really not good camouflage in a daylight sky; too distinct.  And white is reflective so it also gives a gunner a fairly good target.  But medium gray seems to blend (on a brightness scale) with most sky conditions, so that's what I decided on.  Prosit!   :icon_e_salute:  

#8 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 31 May 2018 - 14:58

Very, very nice!

aoh1rvd.png                             tyPpSAY.png

#9 Todt_Von_Oben

Todt_Von_Oben
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:12

Thanks all.  Here's DFA rendered as a ROF skin.  

Attached Files

#10 Todt_Von_Oben

Todt_Von_Oben
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 23 May 2019 - 19:33

Actually, that image is not a real ROF skin but a graphic depiction I fabricated with a CG program.  That's how a ROF skin would look, though.  There is no white outline around the black trident.  It begins centered at the black border of the Kreuz' horizontal arm and follows the longitudinal centerline amap.  It's supposed to be centered and straight; I think my example is just slightly crooked.  Pilot error.  ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users