Rockets!!!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 01 May 2018 - 08:56

Hey guys,

My latest project is making a Rocket! I got real into Rockets back in February when the Space X Falcon Heavy launched. Just the shear power of that thing is amazing!! Wanting to reach for the sky's myself, I decided to build a rocket. A much smaller one XD

I've wanted to do this for a long time, but never properly tried. But when I was in Farmlands NZ the other day, I saw a big bag of Potassium Nitrate and decided to get to work. Luckily, I had the Internet and You Tube to help me out with all this.

The Rocket fuel is a mixture of Potassium Nitrate (KNO3, Otherwise known as salt peter) and some normal Icing Sugar. I think they call it powdered sugar In the states, the super fine stuff I mean.

Anyway, so I ground up the Potassium Nitrate with a block of wood and a hammer fairly fine and mixed it with the sugar in a ratio of 65:35 Potassium Nitrate to Sugar. This is very flammable.

Example:

I then stuffed some dry clay I found on the side of the road into a section of PVC pipe. I made the clay layer about 15mm thick. I'm still experimenting with all this.

Then came the rocket fuel layer, this was a couple of cm thick, then another layer of clay. After It was all compressed down into the tube I drilled a hole to accept the homemade fuse and there we go. A rocket motor ready to blast.

Here is my first test of the Rocket engine (It really needs a name):

(Note, this was done on a wet day and with a hose nearby. Don't worry, I am taking safety precautions XD )

It didn't work great, but the second one fired a bit better.

I'm pretty pleased with the result. I'm guessing to get rid of all the sparking, I need to grind up the Potassium Nitrate more. This might improve thrust as well.

I'm sure that they are plenty strong enough to launch up quite a bit. More experimenting I say.

Obviously I'm not sending anything to the moon but I'm hoping I get a decent height.

Just making It clear, I got most of it all from Online. Sometimes the internet is very very useful XD

IMG_20180430_170835.jpg

Salute!

Stumble.

Might not see ya in the air any time soon, This rocket needs an astronaut to fly it :)

Its actually an Honor to get stung by a bee.

It hates you so much, that its willing to die just

to cause you a mild amount of pain.

#2 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 01 May 2018 - 09:56

The next job was to make the rocket body which could take the rocket engine (Motor, booster?? haha). I'm pretty sure I can use the schools 3D printer but have to pay for the material. So I'll try that first.

I jumped onto Fusion 360 and made up this little rocket:

Screenshot_1.pngcapture screen

Its just a pointy nose cone, a main body and four fins. Although I might just use three. Your thoughts??

It has a slot in the bottom for the rocket to just slide in.

Screenshot_2.png

I can print the cone, body and fins separate and it has little slots for the fins to get glued in place. Should help the printer out a bit to minimize the support material needed. I will then have to add some little guiders so it will fly straight for the first little bit.

I'm not too sure how well this will work but I'll try it out and see. I mean that's the best way to learn, isn't it??

Salute!

Stumble.

I like listening to other peoples thoughts on projects like this. Makes me think a lot more.

#3 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 01 May 2018 - 13:26

I'm pretty pleased with the result. I'm guessing to get rid of all the sparking, I need to grind up the Potassium Nitrate more. This might improve thrust as well.

I'm sure that they are plenty strong enough to launch up quite a bit. More experimenting I say.

You could try adding some sulfur to the mix, it increases burn rate.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#4 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 01 May 2018 - 20:38

You could try adding some sulfur to the mix, it increases burn rate.

Isn't that just gunpowder now?? Saltpeter, sulfer and charcoal makes black powder. That'll be fun to mess around with

#5 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:43

Interesting project, Stumble! Have you ever seen the movie October Sky? It’s about some kids in West Virginia who did almost exactly what you are working on now. I think you’d really like it. :)

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#6 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:07

Interesting project, Stumble! Have you ever seen the movie October Sky? It’s about some kids in West Virginia who did almost exactly what you are working on now. I think you’d really like it. :)

Thanks,

Nah I haven't seen that. Will need to check it out.

S!

#7 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 03 May 2018 - 15:30

It's all about the nozzle !  :icon_e_biggrin:  

Sorry About That                                                           

#8 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 03 May 2018 - 19:51

It's all about the nozzle !  :icon_e_biggrin:  

Inded it is.

Take this with a grain of salt (and do your own research) as my last experience with rocketry was almost 50 years ago, but IIRC I had pretty good luck using old/spent CO2 cartridges for the fuel chamber/nozzle portion:

Attached File  CO2 cartridge.jpg   3.22KB   0 downloads

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#9 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 22 May 2018 - 00:45

If any of you guys have some experience with fusion 360 it would be very much appreciated. At school in my Mecatronics class we're making hoverbots. I've decided to try make a drone.

Specifically a tricopter.

I was gonna originally make a quadcopter but was persuaded not to as the tricopter actually seems a bit more fun as I'm required to counter the uneven torque with a service. With a quadcopter, the natural torque of the motors are used to twist and turn the drone, but with a 3 fan design I need to use a servo to twist one of the motors on the yaw axis.

Tricopter-layout.png

Anyway, I'm sort of stuck as I don't know what material I should use. I can use the 3d printer or a laser cutter with 2.5 mm acrylic. But I was also thinking of possibly useing using carbon fiber square tubing or wooden beams.

Screenshot_20180522-131947.jpg

We're going to try code some adafruit arduino boards for the flight controller and that should prove interesting. Perhaps I could make an app on my phone to use as a controller. We have all the components required too. Good motors, esc, servos and all.

IMG_20180522_125154.jpg

IMG_20180522_125203.jpg

IMG_20180522_125213.jpg

So anyway, I have a bit of researching to do.

Salute
Stumble.

#10 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:03

What do you need help with?

#11 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:28

So this is a possibility. But I'm not too sure how well it would work.

All it is is just some 2.5 mm acrylic with an I beam. This should stop it flexing down and I need to do some testing to see if it twists or not. I am hoping it's not too heavy.

Screenshot_20180522-132639.jpg

Basically if you have any ideas of how I should make it and what materials I should use. I'm just looking for the wisdom of people with a bit more experience then me.

TBH I don't have any real questions at the moment, but maybe afterwards further down in the designing.

S!

#12 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:42

I'm guessing you don't have a 3d printer? That would be your best bet, glueing any plastic together can be a pain. So piecing it together may not be the best. Maybe carbon fiber might work, Be nice and light and probably stronger than plastic. 

#13 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:19

I'm guessing you don't have a 3d printer? That would be your best bet, glueing any plastic together can be a pain. So piecing it together may not be the best. Maybe carbon fiber might work, Be nice and light and probably stronger than plastic.

Yep the school has a 3d printer and a fancy laser cutter. So I can work with that.

#14 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:03

So now what type of 3d printer, filament or an SLA 3d printer, There's a number of materials you can use for this project. But not sure what you can get your hands on. So you need to find out what you can get.

The cool thing about fusion 360 is it has all your needs from the cad to the cam program, and it's free. you can probably do all your work on that then take it to school and they should have a slicer program already.

How do you control the movement, looks like you need to add some servos to direct the props? I wouldn't be surprised there are some free models in Fusion 360 you can go off or there are a thousand plans you can look at.

#15 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:47

Ok, so its turns are controlled by the speed of each motor, never had a drone so didn't know. 

#16 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:41

Yea yea. I think I can get the basics filaments and depending on the cost I could possibly get perhaps some of this carbon filter stuff. I need to have a look tho. But yeah, there's plenty of information online. Really I'm just posting here cause it's great to see discussion about things.

It really makes me think alot more.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

S!

#17 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 22 May 2018 - 18:37

If you can get the carbon fibre that would be your best choice but you need the right nozzle, harden steel, without it your gonna go through your nozzle quick. It's abrasive. Get the filament with nylon and carbon if you can, better than carbon and abs. Just nylon alone might be good if the printer can do it. other than that PLA might be a choice. 

You can also print up your drone then use that as a mold and use carbon fibre. That way you have the master and just rebuild a new one if that one breaks. That way you don't have to keep using the schools 3d printer.

#18 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:35

Yea, I can get all that filament but it will cost a bit extra.

Would have to chip in a bit with my own money. Luckily the school is paying for the majority of it.

I get a fair amount of credits from the subject too, so yea its a good class.

I had a quick look online and saw that Nylon is pretty strong for a project like mine. Not sure if that website was fully correct though.

Thanks for the help!

S!

#19 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 25 May 2018 - 17:35

Nylon is plenty strong enough for your project, hey they make rope with it. I also use nylon for many parts on my CNC routers and never had a part wear or come apart.

#20 Agent86

Agent86
  • LocationNorth Woods

Posted 27 May 2018 - 15:39

I have nylon in both knees and so far they have not worn or come apart either. There is titanium in them as well, but I think that material is quite expensive, and maybe a bit heavy for your application.  

Sorry About That                                                           

#21 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • LocationR E S I G N E D 13/6/2018 veryuseful.info/rof

Posted 28 May 2018 - 15:36

Hey guys,

My latest project is making a Rocket! I got real into Rockets back in February when the Space X Falcon Heavy launched. Just the shear power of that thing is amazing!! Wanting to reach for the sky's myself, I decided to build a rocket. A much smaller one XD

I think you need to move away from the conventional stuff and try something along these lines.

#22 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:27

A new take on the project.

Will be trying to print out a nice curvy good looking design now. Means that I can model everything in Fusion 360 and I can work out how to make it fold up nice and tidy.

Not final design (Obviously) XD

Screenshot_2.png

S!

#23 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:28

Here's a few more photos of the design I have been working on.

Posting this stuff here helps me for when I come back later to see all the different stages I went through. Rather useful I say.

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_7.png

Screenshot_8.png

There you can see how the folding arms would work. We printed a little cube in the new 3d printer the school got and it showed how light but strong it can be. I'm sure plenty strong for what I'm planning.

S!

#24 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 05 June 2018 - 10:33

For the Yaw propeller twist thing I'm not entirely sure what to do yet. I could either make the whole arm at the end twist from where you can see the servo, or I could print out a specific yaw mechanism like you see here.

https://www.amazon.c...m/dp/B01H7VQ5S0

tricopter621.jpg

Screenshot_9.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users