Photo
- - - - -

~: The Sunday duellist : ~ At 09:00 hrs on Sunday Auckland NZST time - UTC +12h.

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 31 March 2018 - 19:43

25 February 2018 - 16:26                                               ~: The Sunday duelist : ~                                                                 .

https://www.timeandd...ealand/auckland

Or "Duelling on Sundays"...

BYO airplane, brandy, umbrella if wet and Mr Arty_effem S! provides the arena.

Duelling server! or what else we can find.

(  Keep your eyes open and follow your nose.)

Founding members and people who have randomly elected to duel at one time or another, include:

Mr Hill Billy. S! ( A superb host of duels)

Mr Thor Hrafannnn. S! ( N17 vs Camel? )

Hotleadcoldfeet. S! ( N28 vs D7f? )

Arty S! ( N17 vs Hlb DII )

Other people here...

=VS=_Emely S! ( N17 vs Hlb DII )

Note to self:

Try to remember everyone I have duelled with... and add other duellists who might like to be recorded here for purposes...

Who was it that  flew the, er, something and ...oh never mind! Memory like a sieve...

Leave a note if you want to be on the roll call! with some duelling anecdote or a witty duelling quip.

or if you wish to be taken off the roll!

S! P.

Previously know as:

" Sopwith Pup VS Halberstadt DII ... ahem... good fun really! "...

So by golly:

Most people would put money on the Pup. Right.

Due to the advertising jingle etc.

( It out turns a DR1 etc...they say...)

But by gosh, I had a very protracted fight down low in the bushes with a proper Frenchman who flew

the Pup like a maniac.

He's either new and really good OR a returning vet... or just super. and maybe not French at all ...

Anyway.

Try these two in a match up.

The Pup seems to out turn the Halb BUT the Halb has a bit more lift. There are other comparisons to be made but I am pretty sure you can isolate them out if you muck in...

We never found out who was going to win as an interloper dispatched the French chap in a graceless fashion. The chap immediately quit and I never got the chance to salute him proper like and comment on his aggressive and yet sublime fighting attitude. Maybe they are local with a new profile?

Anyway I was pretty impressed with the match up and thought it might be worth mentioning here.

Gin and tonic is on me back at the RFC bar! and cheese and crackers too.

Salute!

Planky.

PS. And they only have one gun each and the German gun is offset! So there. : - )

Right that was the first page of the thread. here is the original thread what will sink into the forum gloom:

https://riseofflight...nz-time-utc-13/

Great examples of our forum nature in action!

S! P 02/04/2018

~: The Sunday duellist : ~ At 09:00 hrs on Sunday Auckland NZ time - UTC +13.

Hello chaps!

just restarting the thread after it blew up on take off.

It's early in the morning here and ready to zoom off to Arty's server to duel with whoever turns up.

Sorry about the argy bargy in the last thread, hopefully we can keep this one going a bit longer!

and with less bun throwing. ( that would be great! )

Salute to Arty_effem and =VS=_emely for keeping the duelling real!

Dueling! On Sunday!

May possibly change the time again as my country has just had "daylight savings" do it's thing again. The clocks change time back one hour...  maybe. Or not. who cares!

Will probably try to stir up discussion on some good duelling tips and tricks. : - )

Right oh I must get back in the plane and fly off to the duelling server!

Salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

#2 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 31 March 2018 - 20:11

Dear Arty.

Just trying out the player vs AI circle in your dueling mission and..

1) The AI just seem to wink out of existence after a few seconds of flight time.

2) I did actually load the mission into the editor and look at it! ( wow)

3) Possibly move the ends of the zone together a bit? I am fiddling with this myself....

4) A dueling zone with aviation hazards! Chimneys and balloons etc.

I am guess that keeping the object count low is good right?

Anyway, thanks an actual large amount for being so brilliant!

Salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

#3 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 31 March 2018 - 20:13

Damn, I'll come today)) The smell of gasoline with castor oil, fresh wind in the face, the whistling of wind in the wings - what could be better at 9 am Auckland time, and at 0:00 Moscow time! ;-)

#4 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 31 March 2018 - 21:24

Sounds good.

#5 Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Posted 31 March 2018 - 22:54

What are your preferred "duelling irons"? (Aircraft)

I like the Pfalz d.iii, as it is a decent match for a wide variety of allied aircraft.

#6 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 31 March 2018 - 22:58

Success!

and a few issues... but SUCCESS!

yey!

Thank you ARTY !!!! and thank you fellow duellists who turned up!

of note: Sergeant Mystere. S! Great fighting spirit!

it's probably still raging on as I write! ( Someone arrived and I had to log out.)

YEY!!!!!

it's hard to too see who is in each zone. It only shows who is on your side, depending on you plane choice.

More than two planes in a zone will distract duellers! Yes it does!

Spectator mode does work but you have to learn the controls!!!! It's really good once you get the hang of it.

F12  - cycles between the zones. You may find you cannot move your camera....

F11 -  sets your

camera free to get a better view.

Dear mr Klugerman.

You are very welcome to join in the fun but can you please stick to the general format and you will get your day in the sun!

The best thing to do is spectate and when a new person arrives, like they did, you can ask them to duel.

Be patient!

Spectating is really rewarding! You get to see exactly how emely does his thing! He is amazing at knowing when

to stay up and when to attack.

Hello Hrafn!

OK I have said my bit.

To the duellists!

Salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

#7 Kelp44

Kelp44
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 01 April 2018 - 00:06

Did fly in Arties server until 1:30 AM today, leaving of course too jazzed to feel sleepy, oh boyo.
Thank you warmly, Arty.
And holy shit, Emely, duelling you in your SE5 seems like confronting a devil in a holy water font!
Sure would have liked you in the ranks of the former AB1 pilots, those were the days ...
While in an N17 you expertly get the Alb D2lt & D3 on their gums.
S!!!

(BTW Emely, Sergeant Mystère posting).

#8 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 01 April 2018 - 00:14

Sounds good.

Not only it sounds, but it actually happened!
Today was just fireworks! 5 pilots on the dueling server !! This is still not the beginning of the action, I never even flew to battle with Planck (I hope he does not mind that for me) We converged, shot, fell, and then flew again. Ready? Go! And again and again and again .. I'm just happy, so, how can only the child be happy ;-)
There was such a moment: I flew against Arty , I'm on H17, he's on D2. And then some guy takes a camel, and begins to enter our duel, attacking Arty ! I had to shoot him ... Arty then banned him on the server. I'm sorry for this pilot. Most likely, he did not understand that he violated the rules, and just wanted to fly.
And at the end of the action, I flew to SeVa against a pilot unknown to me on the albatross 5. I think his name is fictional (this is normal) because, most of the skillful pilots I know, but this guy obviously knows how to fly on his alba. Tomorrow I will watch the tracks of this fight, it was super, despite the fact that we often rammed each other.

#9 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 01 April 2018 - 00:21

(BTW Emely, Sergeant Mystère posting).

So it was you on that albatross! The composer used to compose and use Google translator, you beat me with the message. You manage well the albatross, I knock down newcomers, and you set me challenging tasks, and more than once dropped me into the frozen sea of ​​Arty :-)

#10 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 01 April 2018 - 01:28

Salute Kelp!

My good chap welcome aboard!

Sorry I had to dash off, life happens... : - )

Learning things,real things that actual fighter pilots would need to know.

I could see a pattern in the way some chaps flew, and now and then you can see an opening

to attack about to present itself, but you have to get ready.

A thing I noted was: you need to be far enough away to evade their guns BUT close enough to pounce when they

start to weaken. Ie. if they lose control authority, stalling etc.

Also the lag.

This is now becoming a second nature thing, rarely do I take my hand off the throttle ( none of that hotas nonesense.)

the trick is how much to reduce by.... etc.

Also slowing right down as you bank turn keeps you on the same spot, more or less, and this can be very advantageous.

Mixing things up can really throw a spanner in the work of your attacker if they only know one throttle speed and always expect you to be flying at maximum speed too. he he he.

and guess what?

You can try all this out over and over again with your duelling partner!

Right time for lunch.

Salute duellers! ( Excellent show!)

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#11 Kelp44

Kelp44
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:00

@ Emely,

My nick on Arties is not fictional, it is of an Flemish ace WW1 pilot,  André de Meulemeester;
So you probably guessed by now, I'm Flemish to while an old fart at that.
Also can't say I did meet that kind of punch you have in an SE5 with any of the old AB1ers, hot damn.
In a Alb 2/lte or 3 I probably wouldn't have had any chance at all.
Btw sry for collisions but I gues in that close a shave it is just looking for those ...
And thx for the night/morning fun and the fronted credit )))
One thing I regret is not having recorded our runs.
So hope there will be a next time.

PS really dont know what kind of plane de Meulemeester is pitured in on wiki, do you?
That an extra tank after him in the cockpit, in the case should be long distance?

NB Dietrich shawed me that in fact it is a Farman HF.20

#12 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 01 April 2018 - 08:22

Whoops, missed it again...

I've been showing up at 9am Auckland time a day late! Note to self: Plank's Sunday is my Saturday!

Next time, perhaps...

kPloPKK.png

#13 mitragliatore71

mitragliatore71
  • LocationItaly

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:25

Hello,
Very interesting evening!
Glad to have met Emily and Arty.
Yes! for me it will be a nice meeting for the end of the European Saturday.
Thanks again for Your time. :icon_e_salute:

#14 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 02 April 2018 - 21:24

Hello Chaps.

We need to get GOLOVICH S! on board.

Seems like a stirling chap and damn well shot me down three times in his DIII ( Sigh, German planes...)

Gosh. N28, N17 and Tripe all seemed crap compared to the DIII ( Yes yes I was probably doing it all wrong. : - )

But heck, give that man a cigar. no, the whole box. and a large Brandy.

Salute!

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#15 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 02 April 2018 - 21:31

Gosh. N28, N17 and Tripe all seemed crap compared to the DIII ( Yes yes I was probably doing it all wrong. : - )

From what I've seen, the Tripe is absolute Spandau fodder unless it has the numbers advantage...the N28 is a great plane in the right hands, just ask Hotlead! As for the N17...well...let's just say it's a bit touch-and-go...

kPloPKK.png

#16 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 02 April 2018 - 21:37

Dear Wulf,

Yes I agree, HLCF is darn good in the N28, I know. How does he do it?

The annoying thing about the DIII is it's ability to pick up speed again so fast.

It literally could turn, pick up speed and then zoom up for a high yo yo in the time it took me to turn around.... blinking flying devils.

Salute!

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#17 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 02 April 2018 - 21:58

Hotlead's pretty classy in anything he flies.

Hunting me down in a darn Brandenberg the other week !

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#18 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 02 April 2018 - 22:15

Good point!

float plane dueling! I bet the Brandenburg is really good....

S! P.

-

Captured again!

#19 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 02 April 2018 - 22:57

The annoying thing about the DIII is it's ability to pick up speed again so fast.

It literally could turn, pick up speed and then zoom up for a high yo yo in the time it took me to turn around.... blinking flying devils.

Don't talk to me about the D.III being fast! I'm used to fighting bloody SPADs and S.E.5s!  ;) 

kPloPKK.png

#20 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 03 April 2018 - 00:18

Don't talk to me about the D.III being fast! I'm used to fighting bloody SPADs and S.E.5s!  ;) 

At least you can out turn them! and i mean fast to recover energy... not top speed! : - )

Salute!

Plank.

PS. Captain Average needs to come to Dueling too. Excellent in the Halb DII !!!

-

Captured again!

#21 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 03 April 2018 - 00:28

At least you can out turn them! and i mean fast to recover energy... not top speed! : - )

I see! 

Well, as always, it's gotta be in the right hands...when I started out in Albys I'd constantly find myself stalling in turn fights! 

P.S: I see what you mean now by 'Lag Collision'...I watched the flight recording back, no contact was made but your plane reacted as if we'd collided all the same...

kPloPKK.png

#22 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 03 April 2018 - 10:49

Good point!

float plane dueling! I bet the Brandenburg is really good....

S! P.

What ?

The Brandy's both pointless and useless in equal measures in RoF.

The view is like looking through a letterbox from 6 feet away, and the thing over-heats by default.

It has a reputation as a Sub killer I believe, but with no bombs I'm not sure how it achieves this feat. (machine-gun them to death ?).

Anyway, I quite like it.

:lol:

#23 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 03 April 2018 - 15:24

From what I've seen, the Tripe is absolute Spandau fodder unless it has the numbers advantage....

On a triplane, you can not make mistakes. Never :-) But the more interesting.
https://youtu.be/zkxeOohZYGs

#24 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 03 April 2018 - 22:58

Dear ZF,

Never tried it! No idea what it is like but floatplane duels could be something that Stumble may get a kick out of. : - )

Shot up a submarine once in an N28 with BG's but it only only smoked a bit.

Maybe it might sink under the weight of the lead...

Dear Emely,

The tripe seems to stall early and hard. This really is a bit of a problem!

https://youtu.be/zkxeOohZYGs?t=65

If the tripe could have banked right it would have had the albie, probably. I think. ....

I think the Tripe might be a cousin of the N28... both have two guns but not the best dog fighter... :  - (

Salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

#25 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 April 2018 - 23:13

Before the "fix" the tripe was one of THE best fight models in the game. It was affected when the camel was changed due to them both having the 130hp Clerget 9B.

1mUlMuE.png
Hauptmann 
Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke"

xfnaaHq.jpg

#26 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 04 April 2018 - 00:25

N28 is boring, he has nothing to offer except a relatively high speed. Unreliable engine, low speed, small stock of cartridges. Fly alone at high altitude and speed, that would suddenly attack someone, it is possible, but to lead a long battle with d7f, or albatross ... Maybe there is someone who is who can do this, but it's not me. I do not like the FM of this plane, it flies unpleasantly, and there is no desire to study it.

#27 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:13

Dear emely!

Yes the N28 is a bit of a dead duck tied to a rocket BUT it can be fun flying fast at low level...around trees, weeds and buildings...

and duelling in it is quite rewarding. N28 vs N28. Rocking around on the stall etc.

and I had to eat my words at the hands of HLCF when we went toe to toe N28 vs D7f.

That was an epic battle. He won both fights both ways! but time has passed since then... ahem.. rematch?

I am not quite convinced that the N28 FM is anything like the real thing. and would love someone to whip a better one.

Maybe for FSX or X-plane? Hint hint. I would pay! mind you I have not checked....

Salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

#28 Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Posted 04 April 2018 - 03:40

We'll the only person who had an N28 anywhere near me died when it crashed about a year ago. So maybe the game's flight model isn't too far off from real life!

HLFC does handle it pretty well. Sadly the only encounter I ever had with him was fought while trying to pet my impatient and very pushy husky. Didn't end well.

#29 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 04 April 2018 - 23:07

Yes the N28 is a bit of a dead duck tied to a rocket BUT it can be fun flying fast at low level...around trees, weeds and buildings....

If you have a great desire, you can be successful on the most unpopular plane in the RoF. Success is of course relative :-)) But equally well on several different planes is very difficult. The hands and the brain get adjusted to the specific behavior of the airplane, but when the model changes, it does not work like that at first, even if there is a lot of experience flying on it. If someone has a desire to master H28 perfectly, then with sufficient zeal, it will come out right.
I will say that I had no particular desire to fly on a triplane. But under FIF terms, we had to do it. With enough clear work in the team, you can win on it, and on the N28 probably too, and indeed on any ;-))
https://youtu.be/s2VglrZIVfw

#30 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 04 April 2018 - 23:33

and I had to eat my words at the hands of HLCF when we went toe to toe N28 vs D7f.
That was an epic battle. He won both fights both ways! but time has passed since then... ahem.. rematch?

D7 itself, this is not a remedy for all troubles. It can happen even unusual :-)
https://youtu.be/90dOhwhfFiw

#31 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 05 April 2018 - 22:26

Hello!

Trying out the Se5a for a laugh ( actually it was no laughing matter...) against the Albie DIII flown by GOLOVICH S!

( Informal duelling on NFF last night. no gentleman's pass and straight into the action.)

After getting very bored by the attack, break, regroup, attack,break, regroup etc

repetitive nonsense I decided to go full nose up trim and try to turn with him.

Not toooooo shabby for the first three turns then..... time to run away again. ( Trim back to default and dive away... )

There is some magic in the Se5a in the turn but it requires more practice/investigating on my part

Shooting in it is pretty awful owing to the bullets not shooting along the actual gun barrels. ( Sigh...)

Obviously the Se5a is supposed to flown like most Entente BnZ planes, even though there is talk that it could in RL

turn with the albies. ( and why not...)

With full nose up trim you can get a good turn on! But of course the blinking RoF model throws away E like a giant E hole...

Maybe on Sunday.....

( and the wings always fall off the Se5a! but why? )

Salute!

Plank.

PS. Yes GOLOVICH did smash me up quite horribly until I flew with the same fuel as he, then it was not quite so horrible!

-

Captured again!

#32 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 06 April 2018 - 00:14

As far as I know, the SE5a can turn with Albies at speed.

The second it starts slowing down it's time to run...but I've been able to keep my guns fixed right on the Bosche in the cockpit against fully turning albies when at speed before

kPloPKK.png

#33 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:11

Shooting in it is pretty awful owing to the bullets not shooting along the actual gun barrels. ( Sigh...)

Don't use the aldis gunsight. Use the nose gun barrel gunsight. You will have a better view, clear from the windshield and you will have the tracers of the nose gun as a guide too.

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#34 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 06 April 2018 - 02:38

Hello chaps. :- )

Several things:

Yes agree, turning at speed... then back to grinding up to altitude... tedious!

Never used the Aldis.

I do sight over the Vickers but moving over to do this throws my dive attack off a bit,

and I am shooting waaaaay out, say 400 to 600 m so that I can actually escape when the albie

turns to give chase. Not really going to hit much like this.... and getting any closer is just suicide...

Had an interesting fight Camel vs D7f yesterday which was very much like the albie vs the Se5.

( but the D7f can actually turn... )

We flew up to 2500m and i was fighting off their attacks the whole way. Peppering the D7f from below out to about 200 to 400m.

Nothing eventuated and the fight was cut short by a disco. Darn it.

I am pretty certain that due to lag unless I am right on top of them I will hit nothing but their ghost....

and getting that close is perilous!

Essentially I have no patience for the Se5.... It's a bit of an annoying crate. : - )

But maybe on Sunday some duelling may convince me otherwise!

Salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

#35 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:13

- SE5a needs speed. So energy retention maneuvers best and forget about fighting if you can't generate speed.

- Can scissor above an enemy, even at slower speeds to keep him optimal

- patience

- Use the tilt Lewis on him early in fight, that helps keep him guessing about your firing angles.

- adverse yaw at slower speed can create some interesting changes in direction. Worth mastering them I think.

"Gathering his pilots around him on arrival he gave a pep talk, saying that they were equipped with the finest machine of all time and had three battle-experienced flight commanders. He expected every one of them to fight like hell and that it must never be said that any of them ever failed to go to the aid of a comrade, regardless of the cost, and that no patrol was ever to be late in taking off."

Major Keith 'Grid' Caldwell, 74 Sq

#36 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:46

Hello Baer.

Yes yes yes!

Just been fanging about on Ma and Pa's basement serve in the Se5.

I sat outside of the plane with it locked in auto pilot and watched the absolute dogs breakfast of the angle of fire from both guns.

So for the umpteenth time, can we have this fixed. PDQ. It's just WRONG. I cannot begin to imagine why they thought it was right!

There I have said it.

Patience is something I was not born with. Drat it. But yes, I get the message. More drat. : - )

It is good for buzzing the AF though.... he he he.

Now upon reflection before I got banned from WG what I should have been doing is raiding the German AF's

at low low low altitude and then BOMBING THEM! in the Se5a.  and then running away.

Dear Gods of aviation please let the Dev's get the Se5a guns fixed for Flying Carousel ! I will be good. ( sometimes. )

Salute!

Plank.

PS. Se5a Duel? Come at me! and then fly away... then come at me again! Then fly away some more... etc etc

-

Captured again!

#37 Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Hrafn_Kolbrandr

Posted 06 April 2018 - 06:54

SE5a guns are fine.

#38 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:03

"So for the umpteenth time, can we have this fixed.."

Earth calling Planky !!!

You're clearly not the booming and zooming type, I suggest you stick to chucking Camels and Pups around, that's where the dogfighting fun is.

S!

(I can't hit a barn door in an SE5, so I never fly it !)

#39 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:27

Hmmph.

The gun sight on the Se5a is a work of fiction.

It is that way to compensate for the fictional angle of fire from both guns. ( Sigh.)

They are very wrong.

Attached File  Royal_Aircraft_Factory_SE5a - Copy.jpg   369.16KB   0 downloads

Above is the real thing.

Attached File  Rof se5a - Copy.jpg   177.77KB   0 downloads

Above is the not real thing.

So how does it work?

Like this:

The gun fires parallel to the exhaust pipe.

Which is reflected in the inclination of the RoF Aldis. ( to give you a good idea.)

see here:

Attached File  Rof se5a 03 - Copy.jpg   166.23KB   0 downloads

The red is the actual inclination of the Lewis and Vicky, the yellow is the RoF aldis and the RoF Vickers fire.

The lewis fire is declinated by large degree.

Essentially the gun fire is pointing DOWN when it should be point UP.

Other planes have this problem but not to the degree of the Se5a. It is a tragedy.

How could they get it so wrong?

Yes I know this is off topic! I apologise !!!

I will shut up. : - )

Salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

#40 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:31

but wait there is more!

this:

It shows EXACTLY what is wrong.