Photo
- - - - -

RoF Won't Launch - Asking For Advice

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RKNJ

RKNJ

Posted 30 March 2018 - 07:48

Didn't want to have to make a new post but I've run out of ideas. Wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and has a fix. 

Problem: The game won't launch, neither will the settings exe. No error message, nothing loads. Only time I see the launch window is during initial install. 

Attempted Fixes:

• I tried both the steam version and the site version. Uninstalling and installing each multiple times. Made sure to check the 3rd party requirements for install as well.
  • On one of the many install attempts I installed the NET3.5 and VC2005 stuff separate and manually still didn't work. Direct X is fine as well. 
  • On the initial install when I actually see the launch window I've tried recovery and update before trying launch. Didn't do anything. 
  • I read in a forum post to try and adjust graphic settings before starting the game, I would try that but I can't get the settings exe to start either. 
  • Made sure my graphics drivers were up to date. 
  • Tried installing and running things in admin mode. 

PC Specs:

Windows 10 - 64bit

Intel i5-2500 3.30GHz 

RAM 16GB 

GeForce GTX 980

Plenty of disk space. 

I can run other sims and games just fine. I'm not sure what my issue or disconnect with RoF is, unless I'm somehow below the required spec, if anyone has some advice or a new direction to try and problem solve this I would be grateful. Thank you. 

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 30 March 2018 - 16:34

I've seen something similar to this happen on my PC a few years ago when I was using SweetFX/FlightFX/ReShade and some associated settings file got corrupted somehow.  Finally solved it by removing all traces of SweetFX/FlightFX/ReShade from my machine.  Not sure that would explain why trying to run a recovery or update from the launcher (when you have it working) would "do nothing" - never really seen that before - when you say it does nothing, do you mean it does the update and recovery but doesn't fix the problem, or that it doesn't do either the update or the recovery?

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#3 RKNJ

RKNJ

Posted 30 March 2018 - 20:54

Thanks for the idea. I don't have any of the FX or ReShade on my rig. The updater and recovery were both completed and updated the game but it didn't fix my issue. I can get that update launcher screen up but that's about it.  

I've seen something similar to this happen on my PC a few years ago when I was using SweetFX/FlightFX/ReShade and some associated settings file got corrupted somehow.  Finally solved it by removing all traces of SweetFX/FlightFX/ReShade from my machine.  Not sure that would explain why trying to run a recovery or update from the launcher (when you have it working) would "do nothing" - never really seen that before - when you say it does nothing, do you mean it does the update and recovery but doesn't fix the problem, or that it doesn't do either the update or the recovery?

#4 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 31 March 2018 - 03:00

Just a thought - you might want to check your startup.cfg file against the one I use (attached below, sans login info of course) - it might give you some ideas what might be wrong (you might even try using it to see if it happens to work for you).  You will find yours in your Rise of Flight\data folder.

Attached File  startup.zip   910bytes   35 downloads

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#5 aphoperof

aphoperof

Posted 31 March 2018 - 15:19

Just a thought - you might want to check your startup.cfg file against the one I use (attached below, sans login info of course) - it might give you some ideas what might be wrong (you might even try using it to see if it happens to work for you).  You will find yours in your Rise of Flight\data folder.

attachicon.gifstartup.zip

Hello RoF - 

I'm a newbie and downloaded RoF from the website last night.  I try to run the startup.exe file within the zip folder and nothing happens.  This sounds familiar to the above.  

I have Windows 7 on an HP laptop with an Intel 2 GHz cpu, 8 GB RAM, over 300 GB free space on my hard drive.  What else might be relevant?

Please advise.

Best,

Andy

#6 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 31 March 2018 - 17:46

Hello RoF - 

I'm a newbie and downloaded RoF from the website last night.  I try to run the startup.exe file within the zip folder and nothing happens.  This sounds familiar to the above.  

I have Windows 7 on an HP laptop with an Intel 2 GHz cpu, 8 GB RAM, over 300 GB free space on my hard drive.  What else might be relevant?

Please advise.

Best,

Andy

Welcome to the Forums!

AFAIK there is no "startup.exe" file in RoF, so I'm not sure what you're referring to above. (If you're referring to the zip file in my post that you quoted, that's not to be run at all - that's just startup.cfg, and it's just a settings file the game uses).

You're not supposed to run anything called "startup.exe" (even if you find it).  You should start the game with the launcher (by running rof_updater.exe) or alternately directly from the game's exe file (by running rof.exe), both of which are in the Rise of Flight\bin_game\release folder.

#7 JGS4_Te

JGS4_Te

Posted 21 November 2018 - 17:27

A bit crazy.  I've been playing Rise of Flight successfully for years.  Recently, I signed up for and have the Flying Circus early release on my IL2:Sturmovik Steam Version working fine.  I now find that I cannot Launch my original ROF.exe Rise of Flight.  When I launch, the icon shows for a second or two at the bottom of the screen and then... nothing happens.  I've tried the following with no luck... phew: 

Problem: The game won't launch, neither will the settings exe. No error message, nothing loads. Only time I see the launch window is during initial install. 

Attempted Fixes:

• I tried both the steam version and the site version. Uninstalling and installing each multiple times. Made sure to check the 3rd party requirements for install as well.
  • On one of the many install attempts I installed the NET3.5 and VC2005 stuff separate and manually still didn't work. Direct X is fine as well. 
  • On the initial install when I actually see the launch window I've tried recovery and update before trying launch. Didn't do anything. 
  • I read in a forum post to try and adjust graphic settings before starting the game, I would try that but I can't get the settings exe to start either. 
  • Made sure my graphics drivers were up to date. 
  • Tried installing and running things in admin mode. 
  • I've used your startup.cfg listed above with no luck. 
  • i deleted all old C ++ 2005 Redistributables and then installed fresh from the ROF reinstall  

All my other sims work fine:  CLOD Blitz, IL2 Sturmovik, XPlane, etc.   

I'm at a real loss.  Hope you can help.  My computer setup:

Windows 10 

Graphics: GTX 970 with updated drivers

64 bit operating system

16 GB Memory 

Intel I7-4790 CPU

#8 JGS4_Te

JGS4_Te

Posted 21 November 2018 - 17:41

... and I have Bitdefender anti-virus and have turned off firewall and all other anti-virus functions.  Still not launching.

#9 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 21 November 2018 - 18:06

You did update right?

#10 JGS4_Te

JGS4_Te

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:14

Thanks for the note.  Yes, I did both update and recover.  

#11 JGS4Hunter

JGS4Hunter

Posted 29 November 2018 - 17:50

Te if you still have my email (it hasn't changed) send me ur new one. JGS4Hunter

#12 non_unique_name_384

non_unique_name_384

Posted 03 May 2019 - 12:06

Not sure if this is relevant, but I had my Windows display scaling set to 125% and the game would not start, without giving any error message. Once I set it back to 100% it works fine.

#13 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 03 May 2019 - 14:16

Seems quite relevant, although surprising!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users