Photo
- - - - -

I ask for help in finding the material

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 -=Lothar=-

-=Lothar=-

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:09

the question is not difficult, I ask to help me in searching for the materials for painting Fokker dr1, in what form the cars came from the factory before sending to the front, I will be grateful for any information. Sorry for my english .

вопрос не сложный, я прошу помочь мне в поисках матерьялов по покраске  Фоккер др1 , в каком виде машины выходили с завода до отправки на фронт , буду признателен за любую информацию. прошу прощения за мой английский . :icon_mad:

#2 Gooseh

Gooseh

Posted 18 March 2018 - 17:24

Hi -=Lothar=-.

I assume you're referring to the factory application of the streaking on the DR1. There is this description of the process by the late Dan San Abbott ove at 'The Aerodrome. I think it is from this thread: http://www.theaerodr...Dr.I camouflage

"The dark olive-brown dope was thinned to a wash and applied with 80 to 100mm wide brushes in one continuous stroke. IT WAS NOT APPLIED OVER THE SKY BLUE BOTTOM COLOR! It was applied in ONE COAT over the clear doped linen fabric. The dark streaks are where the brush had a full load, and each succeeding brush stoke the covering of the thinned dope got lighter. 
CROSS FIELDS. After the camouflage finish was applied, using matte black dope, the crosses were painted on the clear doped linen fabric on the upper wing top surface, the lower wing under surface, both sides of the fuselage and the rudder. After the crosses had dried, the cross fields were painted with flat white oil based paint on the top wing , fuselage and rudder crosses. The lower wing crosses were left as is, clear doped. 
One coat coat of sky blue dope was applied to the under suface of the wings , axle wing, fuselage, and tailplane. The sky blue dope overlapped to the bottom side of the fuselage 20mm and to the top surface of the tailplane, forming a border 20mm wide.

After all the painting had dried, the fabric surfaces were given one waterproofing coat of copal varnish which had a yellowish cast, this causes a yellow shift, changing the sky blue to a turquoise.
This is all supported with Fabric Samples from Ltn. Stapenhorst's Fok. DR.I 144/17 held in the Imperial War Museum. These are substantiated facts, not my opinion.
If fabric samples are kept out of light, being stored in binders, drawers,etc the effect of lght aging is minimal. A few years ago I examined a piece of printed fabric from a Rol. D.VIa and it was as supple the day it was clear doped. I was able to bend around a1/2" mandrel without cracking the dope. So don't be concerned about ageing and color changes. That is generally an excuse for some defect. If the waterproofing varnish coat is aged it will become flakey. I have a piece of fuselage fabric from Fok. D.VII(OAW)4404/18, the dope is only one coat and the varnish is badly flakeing in places on it. It is neat, it has a patched bullet hole near the cross."

Blue skies,
Dan-San

You can head over to http://www.fokkerdr1.com/ where there are many photographs, some high quality, showing DR1's in the field.

Here's an image of some DR1 wings being painted, and an image of a plane unknown to me but clearly showing the Fokker style streaking.

Hope this is of some help to you.

S!

Attached Files

#3 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 19 March 2018 - 00:02

Interesting stuff... thanks for sharing!

comic3_signature2018.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users