Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Rof under linux?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AB1_CamelJock

AB1_CamelJock

Posted 16 March 2018 - 21:33

I know Rens managed to do it,  but how?  I no longer use windows,  so I must make it run under Ubuntu.  I have winehq wine set up,  and can run many windows games just fine.  Have my trackir and js working under linux.  I've got dotnet 4.0 installed under wine.  It just starts up with a black screen and that's it.  What else does it need for dependencies in wine?

#2 AB1_CamelJock

AB1_CamelJock

Posted 19 March 2018 - 22:16

After a lot of research and testing...  can't be done.  Dserver does however run perfect under linux,  also tested by me.  It is unfortunate though,  as I spent most of my time under linux.

I have to reboot just to run Rof,  which isn't going to happen often.  I sure hope they release Flying Circus on Steam for Linux or that's going to be a problem too.  On a side,  funny note,

found I could run RB3D in glide with fcj cp to get 1600x1024 res no prob under linux....  man those were the days.

#3 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:31

You could maybe check the search function for MAC or Apple, if these guys can not run you a sure it is not possible.
Another point is that most Linux and apple guys do have systems that are way below the minium specs.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#4 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:08

I use Linux and prefer it over Windows, given a choice. In particular I fly a lot of X-Plane 11 with Linux, which works really nicely. I've also tried getting RoF to work on Linux (and Max), but without any success. Realistically, I don't think Flying Circus will come out on Linux. It seems a big ask for the dev-team. Still, if it was on Linux I would definitely support it!

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

#5 TheBlackFalcon

TheBlackFalcon
  • LocationMineola, NY USA

Posted 20 March 2018 - 15:23

Unfortunately for serious simulation aficionados such as those who play ROF, the game industry is primarily directed at Windows platforms as a result of the many developer tools and tool-sets that exist for it.  This is especially true for graphic support, though the OpenGL platform is available for all major platforms.

Nonetheless, DirectX, the Windows graphics platform, is considered the most advanced of the commercially available graphic products and this is solely directed at Windows.

As a result, it is really not cost-justified for the 1C-777 team to develop such complex simulations on multiple platforms unless they see a shift in the platform market share...

:icon_e_smile:

Black Falcon

#6 AB1_CamelJock

AB1_CamelJock

Posted 21 March 2018 - 20:49

Well,  they are losing a whole emerging market then.  Steam for Linux is providing more and more games that used to be windows only.  The Vulkan api could be implemented,  I think that is the graphics api of the future,  not dx.  Vulkan works fine under linux.  I actually can run a bunch of dx windows games just fine under linux,  only a little work is needed to port a game over that doesn't.  It's not really cost,  just laziness.

#7 REBS_Rens_CO

REBS_Rens_CO

Posted 07 May 2018 - 20:18

I know Rens managed to do it,  but how?  I no longer use windows,  so I must make it run under Ubuntu.  I have winehq wine set up,  and can run many windows games just fine.  Have my trackir and js working under linux.  I've got dotnet 4.0 installed under wine.  It just starts up with a black screen and that's it.  What else does it need for dependencies in wine?

yep.

Rens does not remember, as a matter of fact :-)

I saw on winehq I did, but bugger all if I know what I did.......

anyway, going to try once more in a minute or two....

S!

rens

#8 REBS_Rens_CO

REBS_Rens_CO

Posted 07 May 2018 - 22:28

I know Rens managed to do it,  but how?  I no longer use windows,  so I must make it run under Ubuntu.  I have winehq wine set up,  and can run many windows games just fine.  Have my trackir and js working under linux.  I've got dotnet 4.0 installed under wine.  It just starts up with a black screen and that's it.  What else does it need for dependencies in wine

?

Hi Jock,

managed to do it. again.  www.codeweavers.com

no tricks. I use crossover, a wine management software. cost a few bucks, saves a lot of time and headaches. (38 euro for 1 year. 60 if you want updates)

If you want to try your luck, try playonlinux package. I think ubuntu has it too.

Anyway, crossover:

I Just clicked the installer, and off it went. after a long download and update/install I was flying.

runs redbaron to. and MS office 2010.

so it is able somewhat, you might say. this ROF seems to work smooth, FPS ok.

ROF : iron cross edition, from back then...... lol.  What is the difference, tech speaking ? I saw I bought this in 2009, lol.....

I will try UE, but not right now.....

system: 

asus Intel Core i7 laptop  2 core/4 threads

grfx: intel HD graphics 5500.  runs fine, didnt try extreme settings.

8 GB memory

opensuse leap 42.3

250 GB ssd

vdsl2  internet. ( 3/30mbit)

rofonlinux1.png

rofonlinux.png

#9 REBS_Rens_CO

REBS_Rens_CO

Posted 07 May 2018 - 23:11

I am a little confused on all the versions of ROF there are now. I have Iron cross edition.  I assume the basic stuff is technically the same compared to this UE version ?

I saw it is installing directX v9.x and .Net 3.5, SP 1 ( service pack 1 )  So it is not .Net 4.x

Your black screen *might* be related to the directX version. v9 usually works with this ancient code. but I am not sure if UE is ancient code too ??

try windowed.

and make sure you have openGL /  HW accelerated ( I suppose you do, considering the other games are working....)

Wine installed it into a XP servicepack 3 bottle.

hope this helps.

regds

Rens

#10 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:46

Why not ask this guy at: http://simhq.com/for...kin#Post4345346
I’m sure he can figure this out.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users