Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Had a blast!!!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationNew Zealand. That little island near Aussie :)

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:22

Mourning chaps,

Just want to say that I had a blast playing last night! It was a heck of alot of fun and I'm not sure what made it so good. Amyway, Salute to y'all!

Also, I might be doing introductory flights at a local area club where I live. I'll be flying the p42 tecnam or something I think. After a bit more experience I would then move on to a Cessna 150.
Any of you guys do real flying in real life??

So you guys might be hearing from a Very Very Very excited "Me" in the next little while.

Mhmm... First I'll need to get a job

Salute!
Stumble.

Its actually an Honor to get stung by a bee.

It hates you so much, that its willing to die just

to cause you a mild amount of pain.

#2 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 March 2018 - 13:38

Good luck Stumble! Let us know how it goes! :icon_e_salute:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#3 Ceowulf

Ceowulf
  • LocationA long way from Tipperary

Posted 12 March 2018 - 14:39

A good night on ROF is a good night.

RL flying does seem expensive although I see ultralights (like the Legal Eagle) are fairly cheap.  I imagine they feel a little like early war planes like the Voisin 3LA.  My wife would be thrilled...

Ceowulf<><

#4 Stumble

Stumble

Posted 12 March 2018 - 19:10

It's pretty good up here I think. I emailed the areoclub and they said it'll cost $95 for half an hour flight (NZD - That's about $70 USD). But my friend that already does flying said that he gets it for a full hour for $100. So yea, I still need to get a job.

Wish me luck.

Salute!
Stumble.

#5 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 12 March 2018 - 19:44

Yeah good luck with that Stumble you'll do well S!

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#6 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 12 March 2018 - 21:54

Dear Stumble!

Study hard. Do well at school. Go flying on the weekend. ( and spear some Flounders too...)

The P92 is technically an ultralight I think one of the chaps in Kaitaia said. ( $100 per hour wink wink ) 

https://en.wikipedia...iki/Tecnam_P92 ( is it possible there is a P42 ? ... * shrug* )

https://www.aspenfly...-Eaglet-POH.pdf

Rustling up the folding stuff to get back in the air with Mandy S! in the Alpha 160a. ( It's such a beast. )

and very similar to the Tecnam P96 but the Alpha has the RUDDER from heck.

but then the Tecnam is probably less thirsty, more glidey and you can most likely land it on a soccer field. * wink! *

Have fun but also keep doing school stuff no matter how boring it may get!

You get tons of time to do cool stuff when you finish school! and Uni and raising children and starting companies... oh ooops.

Salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

#7 Stumble

Stumble

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:17

Haha. Thanks guys!

I will defiantly keep going hard at school. Or try to at least XD

Looking into being an engineer. That's what I love.

My dad and 3 brothers are/becoming engineers too. So yea, it sorta runs in the family :)

I found out that it is the P92. I was wrong there.

This one I think

DSC_9375.jpg

Love your guys input!

Salute!

Stumble.

#8 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 13 March 2018 - 09:59

PPL(A) here in Spain is around 130-150 euros an hour in the Cessna 150 or PA-28-140 Cherokee, about the cheapest you can go in Europe. Weather’s great too (except for the past month and a half, I’ve been grounded since end of January)

Unless you have plenty of money to spare or are considering going for some kind of commercial license afterwards, I’d recommend gliders or ultralights instead. Light planes are amazingly fun if you enjoy the operational procedures, but for the “WWI sensation” you should definitely go ultralight (or Piper Cub, provided you can find one).

J5_Bender

#9 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:53

You can still fly ultralights with PPL(A), right? Decision time here :)

Forum moderator.

Adjutant, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#10 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 13 March 2018 - 16:37

Yes you only need a flight permit for ultralights. PPL not required.
1mUlMuE.png
Hauptmann 
Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke"

xfnaaHq.jpg

#11 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 13 March 2018 - 16:38

You can still fly ultralights with PPL(A), right? Decision time here :)

I know you are looking for the opportunity to wear that funny little hat again, the one in your avatar, but please stay on the ground, Trupobaw.   At the very least, I would hope that you might equip your ultralight with a siren, so that people on the ground know it's time to run like hell.

#12 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 13 March 2018 - 21:15

I wear it six months a year when bicycling at winter (don't break out bomber jacket anymore unless it's -10 Celsius, it's a burden to move around in when not on the bike).

Besides, current condition in RoF makes it a good moment to broaden my horisons. 

Forum moderator.

Adjutant, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#13 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 13 March 2018 - 21:36

Besides, current condition in RoF makes it a good moment to broaden my horisons. 

If you're looking to broaden your horizons, I might have thought of something even better for you than flying ultra-lights, and with considerably less risk of having you dangling lifelessly from high-voltage power lines (wearing that hat).

https://riseofflight...e-2#entry692270

#14 =VS=_emely

=VS=_emely
  • LocationUSSR

Posted 13 March 2018 - 22:10

Light planes are amazingly fun if you enjoy the operational procedures, but for the “WWI sensation” you should definitely go ultralight (or Piper Cub, provided you can find one).

Then they sell one. You do not need? :-)

Attached Files

#15 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:15

" For sale!!! "

http://www.zlinaero....php?id=4&lang=2

and RC ones!!!!

http://www.zlinaero....hp?id=13&lang=2

real one...

http://www.zlinaero....php?id=6&lang=2

Salute!

Planky.

wow.  eye pop!

-

Captured again!

#16 Hellbender

Hellbender
  • LocationMadrid, Spain (originally Brussels, Belgium)

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:13

Just going to echo the thoughts of some people with far more real life aviation experience than myself: it might not be a bad idea to buy one, find an instructor to get certified with, play around with it (the plane, not the instructor) as long as you want, then sell it again when you’re done. These things retain their value quite well, and it’ll probably cost you less than going through a school or aeroclub.

J5_Bender

#17 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 14 March 2018 - 13:23

Just going to echo the thoughts of some people with far more real life aviation experience than myself: it might not be a bad idea to buy one, find an instructor to get certified with, play around with it (the plane, not the instructor) as long as you want, then sell it again when you’re done. These things retain their value quite well, and it’ll probably cost you less than going through a school or aeroclub.

1+ And depending on what you buy they can gain in value.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#18 sturtz

sturtz
  • LocationOklahoma. United States

Posted 14 March 2018 - 15:15

Great to hear Stumble. Get a couple of buddy's to share $$ . You can pickup used planes cheap but hanger/fuel and maintenance is what put me on hold for awhile. Renting by the day or hour is another way. Then again "what am I saying?" you may be rich for all I know. Ground school thru to solo was about $2k back when I did it. What is the total package now in 2018 ?   Again,,, happy for you mate !!!

Sturtz

#19 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 March 2018 - 16:08

Ground school for me in 2001 was around $6000. Around $10000 once I had my PPL with rentals and instructor time etc. About $35000 with night rating, commercial GS and more hour solo hours/more instructor time. Bender's probably right but you avoid the hassle of paying for hangar costs maintenance etc etc. That's all rolled into the rental... not to mention insurance.

1mUlMuE.png
Hauptmann 
Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke"

xfnaaHq.jpg

#20 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 15 March 2018 - 02:44

Flying for the pure enjoyment of flying can be very inexpensive, relatively speaking.  The BEST way to reduce your training cost is to become proficient at ROF.  No kidding here!  If you can be a good simmer, it will transfer very well to the actual aircraft which will mean you spend less $$$ on instructors.

Generally speaking, if you fly less than about 80 hours per year, it's cheaper to rent in the U.S.  

#21 56Sqn_Badger

56Sqn_Badger
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 15 March 2018 - 21:37

Echoing @Chill31 's point, I really believe training in a home flight simulator can cut down the hours of instruction you need to get a PPL (and feel comfortable flying alone in the sky). But rather than RoF, I would recommend a civilian flight sim like Prepar3D or X-Plane 11 (between the two, I'd choose the latter because of its more realistic flight dynamics). Combine that with a quality addon GA aircraft (available at the X-Plane.org store, among other places) and PilotEdge, a virtual ATC communication practice service, and you have a great platform to practice both VFR and IFR flying and gain confidence in talking with ATC controllers.

I don't have a PPL myself, but I have gone up with instructors and other pilots who have told me that I had a significant head start on new pilots who have not used a home simulator (I did everything in flight myself, including communicating with ATC and pattern work, except for takeoffs and landings, which in any case I would decline to do since I'm not officially a student pilot).

Stay safe and have fun!  :)

56Sqn_Badger-Forum-Signature.jpg

" . . . Я этот небесный квадрат не покину / Мне цифры сейчас не важны / Сегодня мой друг защищает мне спину / А значит и шансы равны . . . " —Vladimir Vysotsky, "Song of a Fighter Pilot"

#22 Stumble

Stumble

Posted 22 June 2018 - 08:12

Finally. Its happening.

Tomorrow mourning at 0800 hours I will be taking off from KAT airport In Kaitaia, New Zealand. Man I'm excited XD

It'll just be a 30 minute introductory flight but I'll still be able to mess around with the controls a little bit. Its in the light weight P92 Tecnam. Costs about $100 NZD per half hour. The instructors had over 20K hours flight time so I should be good to go. Wish me luck! XD

S!

Stumble.

#23 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 22 June 2018 - 09:02

Good Luck Stumble !

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#24 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 22 June 2018 - 14:33

Good on ya Stumble. All the best.

"Gathering his pilots around him on arrival he gave a pep talk, saying that they were equipped with the finest machine of all time and had three battle-experienced flight commanders. He expected every one of them to fight like hell and that it must never be said that any of them ever failed to go to the aid of a comrade, regardless of the cost, and that no patrol was ever to be late in taking off."

Major Keith 'Grid' Caldwell, 74 Sq

#25 Stumble

Stumble

Posted 22 June 2018 - 23:45

IMG_20180623_104640_918.jpg

IMG_20180623_104640_920.jpg

https://youtu.be/HakXCDZ83Ok

Was a lot of fun. Only flew for about 25 mins but still a lot of fun XD

I really wanna get ppl now. It's a lot of money tho. I think I can get it subsidised at school tho. I'll look into that.

#26 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 23 June 2018 - 04:07

I think you and Plank should coordinate your PPL activities, since you both share the same interest, and both live in New Zealand, and are friends. You can be like Chewbacca, and Plank can be like Han Solo, sidekick and hero, copilot and captain, of sorts. Or maybe he can be Han_solo, with a lower case s.

#27 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 23 June 2018 - 12:07

Congratulations, Stumble!  :)  :icon_e_salute:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users