Photo
- - - - -

DIY flight controls: Selected highlights over the years of planking about in the shed.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 08 March 2018 - 21:45

Hello,

I decided to have a look though all my pictures what I have uploaded here

that show some of the mania behind my DIY stick development.

For better or worse. ( Did I really do that... why? What was I thinking etc.)

I think in some areas I went backward or at least sideways.

An observation for the DIY enthusiast: It's EASY! just get stuck in! : - )

I am particularly fond of the wooden grips that I made with high button density and

ergonomic placement etc. But I felt is they was just not WW1... so I ditched it 'em.

Salute!

Planky.

P1100699.JPG

P1100702.JPG

P1100718.JPG

Plank on rudder controls.jpg

P1100918.JPG

IMG_5572.jpg

P1110177.JPG

P1110199.JPG

003.jpg

P1110269.jpg

Joy stick on table with suncom grip.jpg

P1070102.jpg

P1110713.JPG

Plank control systems_full size 01.jpg

P1120196.JPG

P1120209.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1486.JPG

IMG_1661.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_7798.JPG

Oh you made it all the way down here!
Good on you. Have a large Brandy on me! S!

-

Captured again!

#2 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 08 March 2018 - 21:59

That's some cool looking stuff there Plank.  Good job!  But in that other thread on the subject, you left me with a burning question:  What's so bad about mowing your lawn on a Sunday morning???

#3 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 08 March 2018 - 23:01

This page has been intentionally left blank.

-

Captured again!

#4 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 08 March 2018 - 23:45

What's so bad about mowing your lawn on a Sunday morning???

+1

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#5 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:04

-

Captured again!

#6 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:13

+1 Old Chap!

#7 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 09 March 2018 - 04:33

This page intentionally left blank.

-

Captured again!

#8 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:35

Don't rain on Planks parade, guys. This really is impressive stuff here (at least impressive looking to me), let's stick to flight controllers.

Did you think about building a cockpit around them? Or it isn't your kind of thing?

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#9 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 09 March 2018 - 09:16

Yup, I wouldn't know where to start with most of that stuff. The effect of being handmade from wood, binding and old metal looks so right for WW1.

I know you liked your earlier grip, but the new stick does rather cry out for a period style hand grip with 2 side by side levers for guns.

BxlHM7Q.png                  HaO2aNP.png

#10 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 09 March 2018 - 15:47

Those shoes in Pic #4 are awesome.  Are they Italian?

#11 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 09 March 2018 - 20:23

I am not going to post anything else unless certain people are made to stop posting BS in my threads.

That's it. I am done.

It takes a lot of time and energy to build stuff. Mostly I do it on shoestring budget because I have to try to save money.

I have even offered to make up a DIY kit for anyone to have a go at if they pay for the postage.

So I am pretty sure people get the drill. Except for some others who do not.

so, unless I get concrete assurance that certain people will not be posting in my threads I am stopping any new posts.

My next plan was to try to copy real stuff and get even more WWI.

Salute.

Plank.

-

Captured again!

#12 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 09 March 2018 - 23:26

Plank just remember, people that can make things from bitsandpieces do, people that can't criticize and ridicule.

Keep 0n Planking

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#13 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 10 March 2018 - 17:18

Beautiful work! I hope you continue posting.

comic3_signature2018.png

#14 testid

testid

Posted 10 March 2018 - 23:56

Man, you know how highly I think of your buildouts - they really are sculpture, mon vieux.

Did you get my postcard?

pip pip off to the pilots lounge for a martini

#15 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 00:06

Salute Test!

Attention! * click of flying shoes *

Card is affixed to the refrigerator as I type sir!  S!

Which reminds me I need to return the favor....

Hmm. I will consider a special gift. Something handcrafted. * gears whirr grind and clatter *

yes. I think I have an idea...

and thank you for your kind words. A pleasure to read. : - )

Have you tried Vodka and Tonic?

It's essentially Gin and Tonic but  tastes a bit more like a Mig.... the swizzle stick is titanium of course...

Salute!

Plank. ( Ocean going doctor, political sanitation inspector and lounge suit designer.)

-

Captured again!

#16 testid

testid

Posted 11 March 2018 - 00:39

Goodness! Transpacific shipping via the newfangled gasbags might run you some, sir! Opt for surface if it's not flimsies, that's my advice.

Progress on the rig rebuild continues. I am at 100% with regard to hardware and maybe at 80% with regard to control mapping. I decided on realizing the boot drive was down and somehow in five years I'd never backed up the keymaps that I should approach the problem like the greybeard I am and work out the remapping one step at a time. I miss chasing Genius' rocket-powered zep of a wee hours watch.

#17 testid

testid

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:07

Reviewing our correspondance from last year, you won't have known that I was struck by an inattentive driver in a crosswalk near my house on Dec 1, unless I included that in my note. I am doing fine, arm is healing well, and profoundly amazingly for US healthcare, it appears to not have increased our annual medical expenses at all.

The rig failure is still uncertain but appears to be a boot-corruption problem with the Win7 volume I have been using for the last five years for the sole purpose of RoF. So a total reinstall, migration, etc. I'm pretty bummed about losing my control assignments. Last night I lofted our beloved N17 and managed to land it as well, which is a good sign. The last bits I need to finesse are external view cycling things, which are super helpful in offline career mode stuff, where I log the vast majority of my time.

Aside from persoanl health news, as a result of my accident, my wife and I decided that it made more financial sense to stay home over Xmas than to stick with the plan, which had been a 2500 mile (4000 km) plus round trip road trip, which we have done a couple times. She went, I stayed. I took advantage of that to watch a ton of war movies! "Dunkirk" was objectively terrific, with great aviation stuff, which I look forward to reading forum quibbles over. "Fury" was terrible, just awful. Don't waste your time on it unless you are a tank junky like we are plane junkies and even then, I have to expect that they didn't get much right. "Wooden Crosses," an early French soundie from the thirties about the Great War was terrifying and great at the same time that it was sentimental and kinda full of shit. There were some literally terrifying bombardment scenes, showing shell bursts walking toward actors in a (studio, fake) trench which were unlikely to be the sort of thing we'd see today except via CGI, which is probably for the best, really. I also watched some films I already knew well, such as "Apocalypse Now" and "Wings".

It was a strange way to spend Christmas, but I am glad I did it.

S! to you and to all you RoF and Great War sim people.

#18 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:44

Dear Test.

I would be surprised if you have not seen "all quiet on the western front" but it remains my fave all time war film. It's tops. Old chap.

Best book is "Undertones of war" by Blunden.

I have a pocket sized edition what I could lend you old fellow, if you so felt the urge to flick thought it, at your leisure, sometime... when you are not busy, with your 'lectric box.... gadget thingy whatsit.

Fixed a three wheeled bicycle today for a Lady. She brought me Gin and Tonic while I was faffing with the drive train. It came in 'andy.

Ah, you must have had icons off, and they failed to see you, or their tracking was on the blink....

Good to hear you are on the mend. Get more well as soon as possible.

My good man, salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

#19 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 11 March 2018 - 16:37

I'm a Brad Pitt fan, so I found the character of War Daddy somewhat interesting to say the least.  Most people I've talked to, completely hated Fury though.  I liked Dunkirk a lot, but I thought it was somewhat contrived that the guy flies miles down the beach to be captured by the Germans, when he could have just made a belly landing beside all the friendly English soldiers waiting to be evacuated.  I definitely think of this movie though, every time I look in the mirror of the Spit V in Il-2.

#20 testid

testid

Posted 11 March 2018 - 19:20

ha, I hadn't thought to wonder about that. I did wonder why the heck they were risking cracking up a flyable Spit, as the film touted the eschewal of CGI. I learned later that they used very large RC a/c for that scene, I beleive I understood 2 meters was given as an approximate dimension. The improbable overlapping of the three main storylines was the primary compromise to storytelling that actually kinda stood out to me as, i dunno, not credible, but not objectionable either? Operatic. Comments by other film-watching people in my social circle led me to watch "Atonement," which has a bravura extended sequence set on the beach at Dunkirk which was quite different in feel and approach from that seen in Nolan's film.

Seeing that mirror made me wish (again) we could have them here. Maybe they'll be enabled in FC, eh?

Thanks for the offer, Plank, but my reading hopper is full as is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users