Photo
- - - - -

More help needed - please.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hazmat

Hazmat

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:31

This is the 3rd time I have leading up ROF to try to get into it but I can't ever get past setting up the HOTAS setup.

I have an X52 pro and I'm simply trying to get it set up with some BASIC view and plane control settings.  The in-game interface could not be more fu%ck up. 

1 - The column called 'game action' does not match the keyboard template that comes with the game.  For instance, I want to set up and external 'chase view'.  Is that F4?  If so then there is no F4 assigned in the default settings.  From inside the game options screen which 'game action' corresponds to a 'chase view'?

2 - After I screw it up a few times how to I RESET to the default settings?  I would think the 'default' button right? But that doesn't seem to do anything.  How about importing the file on my hard drive called default.actions?  Tried that too but my screwed up attempts to program my joystick still linger.

3 - Does anyone have an existing 'actions' file I could borrow?

Ahhhhh!

Thanks.

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 February 2018 - 02:54

Not sure why you're having the problems you describe - the RoF system may take some getting used to, but it is actually quite flexible and powerful once you get the hang of it.

I've found that the three biggest causes of problems for many people seem to be the following:

1.  Moving your mouse or joystick before hitting the key or button you're trying to assign.  RoF detects the erroneous mouse/stick movement and thinks that's what you want to assign instead of the key/button you really want.  If that happens and you see something show up that isn't what you want, simply click on "retry" and try again until you get it right.

2.  The Russian devs used some pretty funky names for things that many people find rather non-intuitive.  For example, the chase view you're looking for is called "combat camera" for some reason, as noted in the screenshot below (similarly, the realism setting that you have to have clicked in order to enable external views is called something like "allow spectators" for some reason):

Attached File  RoF - F4 combat camera view - 1.jpg   215.79KB   0 downloads

Using this gives you this view/angle in game:

Attached File  RoF - F4 combat camera view - 2.jpg   257.98KB   0 downloads

3.  Failing to hit "apply" in order to save the changes that you have made before you leave the particular settings screen in question.  (I think that might be the key to why you're not having any luck resetting to defaults),

Hope some of that helps - post back and let us know how it's going.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#3 Hazmat

Hazmat

Posted 27 February 2018 - 15:29

Thanks Panthers.  I won't give up and I'm making progress now.  In the screen shot you sent it shows F2, F4 and such in the left most column.  When I hit the DEFAULT button they do not re-appear but I'll just recreate them as I go.

I found the 'chase' view so thanks.  The descriptions in the manual just don't match the ones in the keyboard layout or the in-game screen and that's my main confusion.  A few more questions here:

When I return to 'external view' using F2:

1 - is there a setting that would allow me to my plane at the same height and angle each time?

2 - is there a way for it to remain stationary relative to my plane rather then shift as my plane turns?

3 - is there a way to 'reverse' the yaw and pitch directions for the external mouse controls?

Thanks.

#4 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 February 2018 - 16:24

Hazmat, my squadmate J2_Bauer also is having a problem where his X52 HOTAS throttle is not recognized. Other sims everything works fine but RoF just doesn't "see" his throttle. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

BTW: in answer to your question #3

While in game and flying:

esc/options/responses/current axis setup... checkbox: invert

#5 Hazmat

Hazmat

Posted 27 February 2018 - 18:53

Thanks to both of you.  My X52 throttle work but not all of the buttons and sliders and wheels.  I'm just using the raw X52 drivers, not the Saitek software.  Is your buddy using Saitek software?

#6 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 February 2018 - 19:43

Not sure I'll have to ask him. He's never visited the forums and I find it frustrating because I'm just the middle man. Kind of a pain in the ass but I'm trying to get him up to speed.

#7 sturtz

sturtz
  • LocationOklahoma. United States

Posted 27 February 2018 - 20:26

Sorry for jumping in your thread Hazmat. Was just curious if we know each other ?  

Sturtz

#8 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 27 February 2018 - 22:11

You recognise the photo Sturz ?

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#9 Hazmat

Hazmat

Posted 27 February 2018 - 22:44

Sorry for jumping in your thread Hazmat. Was just curious if we know each other ?  

Dunno Strurtz.  I'm an old bugger and most of my online friends are from an early Rd Orchestra squad called King Tigers.  Most of my flying time is on IL2 and Falcon4 but mostly offline.

#10 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 28 February 2018 - 00:59

When I return to 'external view' using F2:

1 - is there a setting that would allow me to my plane at the same height and angle each time?

2 - is there a way for it to remain stationary relative to my plane rather then shift as my plane turns?

Sorry - I've never really played around with changing the cameras (only use external views for screenshots so I just F2 and then F11 around while the game is paused until I get the angle I want), so I don't know the answers.  Perhaps some of the folks who do a lot of videos and presumably have played around with the cameras more will be able to help you out here.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#11 sturtz

sturtz
  • LocationOklahoma. United States

Posted 28 February 2018 - 16:56

"You recognise the photo Sturtz ?"  LOL,,, that is a good one Zooropa !!!   Naw,,, it's just that I flew several years with a Hazmat in IL-2 . Squadron was IV/ JG51 Molders. 

Hope you can get your X52 working correctly mate. 

Sturtz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users