Photo
- - - - -

J2_Wulfe's D3s

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: Allow these planes to be shown in 'mods off'? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Allow these planes to be shown in 'Mods Off'?

1. Yes to both (15 votes [88.24%])

Percentage of vote: 88.24%

2. No to both (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Yes to 'Sleeper' only (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

4. Yes to 'Wolf' only (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:25

Hey guys! I've already submitted an Albatros D3 for my own personal use, but I had done so before I joined Jasta 2 and so thought it would be best to paint up my Alby in J2 livery! (Not that I expect there to ever be another skin pack but, hey, you never know, right? ;) )

I came up with a lot of designs, but I narrowed it down to two. Problem is, I couldn't pick a favourite. So I thought "Why not just submit both?"

Here they are:

Albatros D3 (OAW), 'Sleeper' Insignia:

Featuring Jagdstaffel 2 Squadron Markings + black propeller hub / engine cowling, black wheels, Black band with personal emblem.

J2_Adam's Jasta 2 (OAW) skin was used as the base for this skin.

Attached File  2.png   736.2KB   0 downloads

Attached File  1.png   734.22KB   0 downloads

Attached File  3.png   1.02MB   0 downloads

Albatros D3 (OAW), 'Wolf' Insignia:

Featuring Jagdstaffel 2 Squadron Markings + black upper fuselage & sky blue lower fuselage. Wolf insignia on fuselage. "mit meinen Reißzähnen" (With my fangs) personal motif applied to lower wings. 

cnpx24D.png

WtVwzZ8.png

znLosov.png

Albatros D3 'Sleeper' .zip file:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

Albatros D3 'Wolf' .zip file:

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

TlUBEKV.png                             tyPpSAY.png

#2 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 21 February 2018 - 10:06

First, they are both fantastic designs. I prefer the sleeper one. Most DIII's in Jasta 2 kept some part of the wood. They were a few exceptions. For the DIII, I would say keep the wood look. Let's say, you want to be the exception. The wolf looks good, although the "wolf" looks more like a dog than a wolf. I would use both paints but maybe remove the wolf, put the sleeper and use it for a Pflaz or Fokker. One more thought, the sleeper is identifiable as you. When we see it, we know it is you. UNless the "wolf" is your new motif/ avatar, I wouldn't use it for yourself. I would submit both, but I would use the paint job for another plane. It is too nice not to use. 

comic3_signature2018.png

#3 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 21 February 2018 - 15:15

Interesting feedback, pike, I suspect you might be right about the 'wolf' design...

#4 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 21 February 2018 - 15:19

Voted both.

But a little constructive critique.

The is something about the font for the W's on the wings. 

Doesn't quite fit the rest of the scheme

#5 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 21 February 2018 - 16:37

Both look very nice. I do however agree with both Steve and Pike with regards to the designs and also the font used for the W. it looks modern for stand block font. It’s tough to find a free one that works. I’ll see what I have.

#6 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 21 February 2018 - 20:04

Both look very nice. I do however agree with both Steve and Pike with regards to the designs and also the font used for the W. it looks modern for stand block font. It’s tough to find a free one that works. I’ll see what I have.

Isn't this just for a single letter?

If so, it could be manually sketched from a photograph, rather than obtaining an entire typeface/font. You could then scale and apply the letter as needed.

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

#7 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 21 February 2018 - 20:07

This is the "font" Kepmf used.

comic3_signature2018.png

#8 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:52

Isn't this just for a single letter?

If so, it could be manually sketched from a photograph, rather than obtaining an entire typeface/font. You could then scale and apply the letter as needed.

I'm sure there are a few different ways to achieve the correct look. Another is you can make your own "W" by putting long rectangles together, flatten the layers and trim it accordingly trying to match the look of say, the Kempf font.

#9 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:52

Thanks for the feedback guys...maybe something like this is more appropriate?

Attached File  Wulfed3.png   631.75KB   0 downloads

I'm not actually 100% sure about the 'W's...I've seen those kind of identification markings here and there on historical pictures of albies, as well as other iD markings (I can't remember the pilot but one guy had Jewish stars on his wings), but they seem quite uncommon.

Maybe the 'Wolf' colour scheme would be better suited to an Alby D5...Adam, you don't happen to have the old J2 DVa templates knocking around somewhere, do you?

Also, Panthercules., would it be too late to edit the original post / poll with an updated design?

#10 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:11

Both are good, but I think the original is closer to the "KEMPF" font (as per the images that J2_PikeStance posted).

Here's an idea: What about using the "M" upside down?

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

#11 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:13

Also, Panthercules., would it be too late to edit the original post / poll with an updated design?

I would say that you have next to no hope getting these added to the game. It has become very difficult to get a skinpack out of the Devs over  the last few years.

It took over 2 years to get the last pack and with FC on the horizon for this year. It'll be a very very long time efore any more skins are added to RoF

#12 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:43

Yes, I suspected as much...hopefully FC will have a similar skin system, where players can see each others' skins (it's honestly one of my favourite things about RoF)

#13 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 22 February 2018 - 13:04

We can be an optimist about it. Adding new skins is a cheap way of promoting the game with little or no effort on their part. 

comic3_signature2018.png

#14 US103_Hunter

US103_Hunter
  • LocationOver The Front!

Posted 22 February 2018 - 13:56

They added skins last year, maybe they would do it again this year? Two votes from hunter, I like the striped one the best.

103rd%20forum%20sig.jpg

#15 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 22 February 2018 - 14:13

Given it took nearly 3 years for the last pack to arrive and we only received it at the tail end of last year. I'd say with FC due out this year, the team will concentrate on that, then also post release patching and taking that product forward. A Skin pack for RoF is a long way down the list

#16 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 22 February 2018 - 14:42

I will be naive and optimistic, but warning understood. 

comic3_signature2018.png

#17 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 22 February 2018 - 15:15

No, it's not too late.  I suspect that what the others have said about the chances for another skin pack for RoF is probably correct - chances seem slim but it can't be ruled out completely.  All I can say is that if they give me any indication that they would be ready to issue another one, I'll be happy to process and prepare the skin pack for them as before.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 42.jpg

#18 FLIK60J

FLIK60J
  • LocationSomewhere 3000 m above the ground – or near Vienna.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 16:34

I like both of them, hence a clear "Yes to both"!

If the personal markings of Kempf were the role model, then I would have suggested one of the font types attached below for the motto. The semi/slab serif font-faces with a more rounded overall look than modern semi-serif fonts and decent serifs were typical for the time. When converted into shapes, you could apply changes to single letters and give them a facelift in order to match historical examples and make them look a bit more painted by hand. 

But with gothic letters you can't make anything too wrong – at least on a german plane, I guess.

Attached File  Bernhard Std Bold Condensed.png   22.37KB   0 downloads Attached File  Bernard MT Condensed.png   20.68KB   0 downloadsAttached File  ITC Garamond Std Ultra Condensed.png   22.12KB   0 downloads

#19 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 23 February 2018 - 00:44

Thanks for suggesting those fonts, FLIK! They look great! In fact, I replaced the 'W's on the alby using that font and downsized them, I think they look much more tasteful now:

Attached File  Screenshot (9).png   646.57KB   0 downloads

I also came up with a toned-down 'Wolf' paintjob:

Attached File  Screenshot (12).png   586.33KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Screenshot (13).png   522.68KB   0 downloads

#20 FLIK60J

FLIK60J
  • LocationSomewhere 3000 m above the ground – or near Vienna.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:37

What a great looking bird! I would vote for this one, too, if I could.

S!

#21 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:41

Good as well

comic3_signature2018.png

#22 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:43

I think I'll do a little more tinkering with that one, then maybe I'll swap it out for the 'Wolf' design in the OP

#23 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 23 February 2018 - 14:48

It's just an opinion, But my favourite Alb of yours is the one in your sig. It has a very simple elegance to it.

#24 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 23 February 2018 - 14:52

I actually agree with Steve. The white border gives a nice clean look to the design. I do not mind the stripes. Either is fine by me. If I had to choose Sleeper over Siggy, then I will choose siggy first. 

comic3_signature2018.png

#25 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 23 February 2018 - 23:54

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm inclined to agree with you guys that my 'original' D3 has a cleaner look to it. I've updated the OP and replaced the old 'Sleeper' D3 with a redesigned version of the original D3. I used Adam's excellent 'OAW' skin as a base. I hope that's ok!

Here's the new design:

Attached File  2.png   736.2KB   0 downloads

and the files to go with them:

Attached File  AD3_J2_Wulfe.zip   3.7MB   1 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users