Photo
- - - - -

Damage Model

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 PA_Spartan-

PA_Spartan-

Posted 16 February 2018 - 22:34

One fast question. I've been reading a lot of combat narrations and they describe planes in flames very often. Is this modeled in the Sim? So far, I haven't seen any plane burning ...

Winning is optional, but trying your best is not.

#2 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 16 February 2018 - 23:27

I regularly 'flame' enemies. (Long time symptom of the fact my rounds never seem to make contact with the pilot).

I think this was affected amongst the infamous nerfings of a while back, to the effect that 'flamers' aren't quite as common as they used to be.

S!

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#3 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 17 February 2018 - 00:44

Yeah - early on almost everything was flaming, so they toned it down in one of the updates a few years ago - trying to make it a little less 'Hollywood" I guess.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:  26378534688_53852d3abd_o.jpg

#4 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 17 February 2018 - 06:55

There was a WW1 historian who used to post here who pointed out, and had combat records to support it, that aircraft didn't catch fire as often as many believed.  The developers decreased the frequency of fires after that.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#5 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 17 February 2018 - 13:40

One fast question. I've been reading a lot of combat narrations and they describe planes in flames very often. Is this modeled in the Sim? So far, I haven't seen any plane burning ...

Screenshot from yesterday...

http://steamcommunit.../?id=1303498803

I caught fire mid air, but managed to set it down before being killed or the aircraft breaking up. I was lucky.

:icon_e_deadman:

I don't see flaming aircraft so often, but it certainly does happen in RoF. On very rare occasions, there can even be explosions (a few weeks back my Gotha bomber was hit in the fuel-tank which detonated, sending fragments everywhere). Personally, I think it has been done really well in RoF. It does happen, but not every single time like some movie. Unfortunately, the IL-2:BoX series is a bit too Hollywood-esque. I do hope they don't do the same in the upcoming Flying Circus.

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

#6 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 17 February 2018 - 13:55

Well, It happened often enough to scare the crap out of some famous aces; to the extent that they carried a pistol in order to blow their brains out (Mannock). I would say that I see flamers at very roughly 1 in 10 kills but I have seen two in a row. It seems to be most frequent when I hit them in the cockpit area from above.

#7 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 17 February 2018 - 19:45

This does indeed happen every once in a while. Should your plane start burning, turn off the engine imediately and dive as hard as you can without breaking the plane apart (an 80 degree angle will do fine...) . This will put out the flames and you may be able to land safely. Just don't lose too much time thinking - do it as fast as you can.

A demonstration: 

#8 PA_Spartan-

PA_Spartan-

Posted 17 February 2018 - 21:56

Great! You guy deserve a lot. Thanks for all the info and videos. On the other hand, I must be a very bad shooter  :mellow:

practice and more practice I need.

#9 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:34

Ahem, gents.

My problem with planes exploding into flame is that it usually happens after I have hit the ground at significant speed.

[pwith at least three wings missing.

and red goggles.

and full of holes...

sigh!

Salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

#10 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • Location· · · · · · · · · · · · RESIGNED 13/6/2018

Posted 18 February 2018 - 15:21

This does indeed happen every once in a while. Should your plane start burning, turn off the engine imediately and dive as hard as you can without breaking the plane apart (an 80 degree angle will do fine...) . This will put out the flames and you may be able to land safely. Just don't lose too much time thinking - do it as fast as you can.

A demonstration: 

Once safely on the ground, the pilot steadies his nerves by lighting-up a cigarette..

#11 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 18 February 2018 - 17:15

That depends, if class, it should be a cigar, preferably a Cuban.  :icon_cool:

comic3_signature2018.png

#12 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • Location· · · · · · · · · · · · RESIGNED 13/6/2018

Posted 18 February 2018 - 19:48

That depends, if class, it should be a cigar, preferably a Cuban.  :icon_cool:

He who blows himself up lighting a classy cigar, is nonetheless dead.

#13 J2_Wulfe

J2_Wulfe

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:59

I don't think I've ever caught fire in a Central plane, and I've only ever brought down 2 allied planes in flames...

In regards to the video, would side-slipping stop or lessen you burning in your seat at all?

Wulfe, Unteroffizier von Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke".

cDS2KiC.pngR1Qjktb.png

#14 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:39

No you have to dive it pretty hard and also be aware rather quickly that you indeed are on fire. There’s not really any time to waste when you’re burning.
1mUlMuE.png
Hauptmann 
Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke"

xfnaaHq.jpg

#15 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 20 February 2018 - 14:14

I had a friend catch an engine fire in a WWI aircraft in flight and it did not end well. They just burn really well.

#16 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 20 February 2018 - 15:27

I don't think I've ever caught fire in a Central plane, {...}

My CL.II caught fire last night. :-\

Plus this W.12 example from earlier...  http://steamcommunit.../?id=1303498803

Maybe it is the bottle of Koskenkorva I keep under the pilots seat?  :wacko:

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

#17 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 20 February 2018 - 16:34

I've flamed about 6 planes today already.

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#18 PA_Spartan-

PA_Spartan-

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:23

Finally I got a Pup in flames with my Dr I. It was nice, but I couldn't recorded ....

The Dr. I is extremely sensitive.

#19 PA_Spartan-

PA_Spartan-

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:24

Finally I got a Pup in flames with my Dr I. It was quite a view, but I couldn't recorded ....

#20 US103_Hunter

US103_Hunter
  • LocationOver The Front!

Posted 22 February 2018 - 14:01

I see very very few fires these days. It used to be that the camel would light up all the time....

103rd%20forum%20sig.jpg

#21 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 22 February 2018 - 19:27

Finally I got a Pup in flames with my Dr I. It was nice, but I couldn't recorded ....

The real Dr1 is very sensitive as well and I am amazed at how difficult it is to aim

#22 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 24 February 2018 - 16:13

The real Dr1 is very sensitive as well and I am amazed at how difficult it is to aim

I wonder if maybe that helps explain how Voss could get shots on so many of his opponents in his final fight but couldn't put them out of commission.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#23 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 24 February 2018 - 18:14

Most likely it's because there was another SE5 on his 6 before he could finish the job.  We used to have fights like the one with Voss all the time.  The Dr1 always loses.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#24 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:40

Most likely it's because there was another SE5 on his 6 before he could finish the job.

Well yeah, that too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users