- - - - -

No icons

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 johnpayne28

johnpayne28
  • LocationNr Exeter, UK

Posted 16 February 2018 - 15:44

Despite Display Icons being ticked, I keep losing them: just not displayed. As a novice I find it impossible to follow enemy aircraft for long without them. Any suggestions?

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 16 February 2018 - 21:22

I never use them so I'm shooting from memory here, but I believe that either the "i" key or perhaps some combination of "i" plus "ctrl" or something might toggle them on and off.  Also, if you're playing multiplayer, some servers do not allow them so you won't see them even if you have them turned on.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#3 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 16 February 2018 - 23:34

Yes, just "i" should toggle them on/off by default.

Make sure you haven't got something assigned twice, to the effect that when you perform another function it's toggling icons at the same time.

Good luck S!

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#4 Oliver88

Oliver88

Posted 17 February 2018 - 00:32

if on single player check the mission settings you have assigned, when you go to start a mission there should be a button called “settings” next to the “start mission” one, theres an option in there called “show object icons” if memory serves me

#5 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 17 February 2018 - 19:38

Despite Display Icons being ticked, I keep losing them: just not displayed. As a novice I find it impossible to follow enemy aircraft for long without them. Any suggestions?

Yes. Use it as an opportunity of living the actual feeling that newbies had in WW1: they could go through a whole scrap without ever seeing anyone. 

You'll never feel that quite the same way again. Have fun!

#6 johnpayne28

johnpayne28
  • LocationNr Exeter, UK

Posted 18 February 2018 - 16:40

"i"works, many thanks.

#7 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:26

I personally find the icons distracting and I am still new. I grew tired of them when I set up a 10 vs 15. The numbers and names of planes were everywhere. I couldn't actually see the planes with all of that in there. I turned them off. Yes, it was much harder, but you gradually learn to spot aircrafts better than you think you will initially. 

From one newbie to another, turn them off. It won't help you identify aircraft later. You will still have a learning curve. You don't want to be that guy that plays this game for 5 years and still can only play with the icons on. That is just pathetic. Also, once you get a knack for flying, work on gunnery. Set up one v one and learn how to line up your shot. 

comic3_signature2018.png

#8 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:13

"pathetic" - that's a bit harsh.

There's a difference between not being able to play without icons, and choosing to play with them. People can make their own choices without ridicule from the elite 'full real' brigade (who hunt in packs using TS as a rule).

One has to concentrate harder without icons of course, but it's not exactly flying the Space Shuttle.

And for those of us with large screens and resolution, the icons are much smaller - I'm unable to notice arrow markers 90% of the time for example.

But hopefully FC1 will incorporate more flexible icon options : so that one can choose not to display icons through solid objects ; not to display distance ; no player name ; arrows that only appear when an object enters the part of our vision that's missing in-game.. etc. etc.

Thinking about it, if I was to go back to a small screen and resolution I would find them far too obtrusive now.

In the case of vehicles, often you literally can't see them for all the letters in the name, so in the few missions I've made myself I named all the ai objects (incl planes) "." which takes away some of the distraction.

#9 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 22 February 2018 - 13:22

You are taking my comment out of context. I am referring to using icons as a crutch. You are not going to improve your spotting with icons on. Eventually, you have to learn that skill. 

I travel a fair amount with my work. I am an international school teacher. Therefore, it is very difficult for me to have a large computer. I have a 17inch laptop computer, while not a specific gaming computer, it is set up for gaming. I actually use a printer box to place the stick on and I move the laptop computer as close to me as possible. I did try to connect it to a TV, but there is a significant lag time. I also have to make sure I clean my screen very well before playing because planes in the distance look just like a speck of dust. I could easily make excuses, but by not having the icons, I am improving my spotting. If I had a trackIR, then I would be in much better shape.  

In addition to practicing my gunnery, I have been working on my spotting. I set up 1v1 side by side. I look for the plane. The goal is to spot on time to maneuver into a favorable position. (Don't get bounce) Once I dispatched the first bandit, I start to look for the next bandit. At first, I will always get shot at first in a poor position. I switched to a higher difficulty and now if I do, I will get killed or oiled. Good motivation for checking your 6. I do not get bounced. With the icons, you will see literally miles away. You just do not learn that way. 

What is the moral of the story? If you keep the icons on, sure you will spot them, but you will never learn to spot bandits when you need to. If you switch them off, you still have to learn. The fear is, you will never have the patience to learn. In the end, you are pathetic if you never try to learn how to play the game. This is a flight/combat sim. If you want to simulate combat, then go on in. 

comic3_signature2018.png

#10 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 22 February 2018 - 15:02

I played with Icons for several years before going into the "full real" servers and weaning was difficult. The quicker you can get away from them the better although that is not to say that you can't go in an icon server from time to time, use them and have fun.

#11 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • LocationR E S I G N E D 13/6/2018 veryuseful.info/rof

Posted 22 February 2018 - 21:16

I personally find the icons distracting and I am still new. I grew tired of them when I set up a 10 vs 15. The numbers and names of planes were everywhere. I couldn't actually see the planes with all of that in there. I turned them off. Yes, it was much harder, but you gradually learn to spot aircrafts better than you think you will initially.

For environments that enable it, you may wish to try using padlock for helping to locate enemies. I don't recommend using it for tracking during combat, which is a common mistake.

#12 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 23 February 2018 - 00:55

"pathetic" - that's a bit harsh.

Icons are pathetic.

#13 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:50

On the contrary, people who take games too seriously are pathetic.

#14 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:49

Yes, possibly, but not as pathetic as someone who relies on the "take care of 90% of situational awareness" pathetic excuse of icons. Pa. Thet. IC.

#15 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:16

I have to disagree with Ice on this.  It's actually closer to 99%.

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#16 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:07

On the contrary, people who take games too seriously are pathetic.

I do not think icons or no icons have much to do with one's seriousness. 

I will never have anything more than a stick, a mouse and Track IR (or something similar). I will never get rudders pedals or throttle thingy, etc... 

This is a flight/ combat simulator. It is also a historically based game. I am both a teacher of history and a historian. In my past, I also a Civil War Reenactor. I enjoy the combination of good role play with history aspect. In other PC games I played (mostly all historically based) I seek a historically accurate experience. I even mod the games to achieve that effect. A Combat, flight simulated game is a game attempting to give you a realistic experience. So, basically, Rise of Flight is "right up my alley." The bottom line, It seems inconsistent to seek a way of playing that gives the game an arcade feel. What is the point of seeking a game that offers a realistic feel and then choosing options that remove it? I guess it is nice that the developers give the option for an arcade experience. It is too bad that other historically based games don't do the reverse for us history buffs. 

Anyway, if you want the arcade experience, then be my guess. However, what was it that attracted you to this game; a game that offers the exact opposite of an arcade experience?

comic3_signature2018.png

#17 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 19:24

Dear chaps,

Some of play for the long tedious hours of stalking while on high alert,

others merely to crash into the first punch up they find and try to land a king hit,

then there are some who like to tangle on relatively equal terms with a persistent foe in a close run thing armed with a pair of nail clippers.

Frankly I don't think it matters if you have icons on or off.

If you don't like icons on then don't have then on. Or even better don't visit servers that do.

I think it's a bit ripe calling players who like icons on for various reasons as "pathetic" they are keeping the flame alive

so that greater players can reap some reward in the future. or something like that. Heavens... such lofty aspirations.

Ahem. Slurp, Gin and tonic for breakfast old chap.....

and if you are super duper into realistic game play then by all means do your worst.

Personally I like to have a little squeezy bottle of burnt castoil at the ready should my engine toss a leg out of bed:

when the crankcase explodes out and shes starts lumping like a lumpy thing I like to oil my gogs with real oil...

Can't see a damn thing and landing is quite nerve wracking.

also in the thick of the fight I like to toss burning hot .303 empties out the window and into the neighbors garden.

The worst thing though is waking up in my cot thinking I back in the ward waking up screaming .... at the lack of brandy in the RFC mess after a long days wandering along the front waiting for the time to run out and noodle back to the AF for refreshments...

any way must dash off it's a luvely morning and I am off to crash my RC plane into a large glass of brandy.

S! P.

-

Captured again!

#18 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 23 February 2018 - 20:31

Dear chaps,

Frankly I don't think it matters if you have icons on or off.

If you don't like icons on then don't have then on. Or even better don't visit servers that do.

I think it's a bit ripe calling players who like icons on for various reasons as "pathetic" they are keeping the flame alive

so that greater players can reap some reward in the future. or something like that. Heavens... such lofty aspirations.

Ahem. Slurp, Gin and tonic for breakfast old chap.....

S! P.

I do not think you are following the conversation very well. I never said that people who prefer icons are pathetic. I specifically referring to people who used them as a handicap in an effort to learn the game. I said it is a false premise. There is no way to wean yourself off them. They do not help you to play the game if your ultimate goal is to play a realistic simulation. If you use icons and you want realism then in 5 years time you will still be using them then that will be pathetic. If you want the arcade experience and you want the icons then, by all means, keep them on. I think it is ironic that you want an arcade experience while playing a game devoted to presenting a realistic flight/ combat simulation, however. Ultimately, it is your choice. So, AGAIN FOR THE THIRD TIME, if you want to play a realistic flight/ combat simulation regardless how new you are, the sooner you turn off the icons, the better off you will be. Don't be that guy in five years still playing with them on because you cannot play without it. 

comic3_signature2018.png

#19 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationNorway / Finland

Posted 23 February 2018 - 22:23

You don't want to be that guy that plays this game for 5 years and still can only play with the icons on. That is just pathetic. {...}

In the end, you are pathetic if you never try to learn how to play the game. {...}

It depends on the "game" one is trying to "play".

Rise of Flight is a pretty versatile platform. You can play it as a serious e-sport, or just an arcade shooter to blow-off steam and relax. Some people see it as an historical re-enactment tool. Others like to use it to explore and experience things. Some people might be more interested in learning to fly or shoot, than spotting. And if that is all they are interested in... well, that's fine too.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with flying with or without icons, or choosing only certain planes, or a certain side, or using TeamSpeak or not, or sticking to certain weather conditions, or writing in the in-game chat, or flying a certain map, or switching on HUD-gauges, or avoiding a certain time-of-day/night. These are all just choices we make, so we can all enjoy Rise of Flight in whatever style suits us best.

The more people flying RoF - no matter in what way - the better!

:icon_e_biggrin:

So, AGAIN FOR THE THIRD TIME, if you want to play a realistic flight/ combat simulation regardless how new you are, the sooner you turn off the icons, the better off you will be. Don't be that guy in five years still playing with them on because you cannot play without it.

Who said the OP wants "to play a realistic flight/ combat simulation"? He just said he was a novice and wants to have icons on.

Good on him. He's trying to do something and he has the initiative to ask.

So, returning to the original post. Obviously the "i" solution has fixed the problem. But note that you can switch off the gauges separately, and even the entire HUD. On my set-up the Left-Windows key can be held to show options. The first time I accidentally switched the HUD off, I had a very frustrating time trying to figure out how to put it back on again!

xvii-kuesta-add2e.jpg

#20 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 23:47

Actually icons ON and name plates OFF could be a good mix. 

So you can see the small smudgy plane icon in the far yonder but there is no name plate when close up with the distance either.

Just a thought!

Personally I think the "pathetic" remark is going a tad far and then the icons OFF brigade wade in with their soap boxes.

and how come we don't have pressurized fuel tanks modeled in the sim ??? 

How do I start engine?

Full throttle

Full mixture

Ignition on

Pump three times

Extiguish cigarette.

Check safety belt.

Signal to ground crew to wind her up.

Other stuff.

And icons in game could be a bit more period.... and center justified... just for presentation.

Salute!

Planky. ( Taking things too seriously since the day I was found...)

-

Captured again!

#21 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:07

Rise of Flight is a pretty versatile platform. You can play it as a serious e-sport, or just an arcade shooter to blow-off steam and relax. Some people see it as an historical re-enactment tool. Others like to use it to explore and experience things. Some people might be more interested in learning to fly or shoot, than spotting. And if that is all they are interested in... well, that's fine too.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with flying with or without icons, or choosing only certain planes, or a certain side, or using TeamSpeak or not, or sticking to certain weather conditions, or writing in the in-game chat, or flying a certain map, or switching on HUD-gauges, or avoiding a certain time-of-day/night. These are all just choices we make, so we can all enjoy Rise of Flight in whatever style suits us best.

You need to reread what I wrote because I never addressed the versatility of the game. I was commenting only on those looking for a more real experience. 

Who said the OP wants "to play a realistic flight/ combat simulation"? He just said he was a novice and wants to have icons on.

Again, reread what I wrote. If the person is seeking a more realistic experience, then the sooner he turns off the icon the better. It doesn't help you improve if your ultimate goal is to have a more realistic experience. 

If you are going to quote me you are obliged to be cognizant of my argument. Otherwise, what is the point of responding to me? 

Actually icons ON and name plates OFF could be a good mix. 

So you can see the small smudgy plane icon in the far yonder but there is no name plate when close up with the distance either.

Just a thought!

Personally I think the "pathetic" remark is going a tad far and then the icons OFF brigade wade in with their soap boxes.

and how come we don't have pressurized fuel tanks modeled in the sim ??? 

How do I start engine?

Full throttle

Full mixture

Ignition on

Pump three times

Extiguish cigarette.

Check safety belt.

Signal to ground crew to wind her up.

Other stuff.

And icons in game could be a bit more period.... and center justified... just for presentation.

Salute!

Planky. ( Taking things too seriously since the day I was found...)

I watched a video of a player recognized planes just by the shape of the plane. If you want that skill, then the sooner you turn the icons the faster you will learn to do that. 

The "Pathetic" comment didn't go far, but the misinterpretation of it certainly did. 

:icon_e_biggrin:

Who said the OP wants "to play a realistic flight/ combat simulation"? He just said he was a novice and wants to have icons on.

Good on him. He's trying to do something and he has the initiative to ask.

So, returning to the original post. Obviously the "i" solution has fixed the problem. But note that you can switch off the gauges separately, and even the entire HUD. On my set-up the Left-Windows key can be held to show options. The first time I accidentally switched the HUD off, I had a very frustrating time trying to figure out how to put it back on again!

comic3_signature2018.png

#22 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:17

'Pathetic' has been said in anger four times here, as well as good old 'arcade' popping up once again.

The real problem however is continiued use of the word "real" and all it's derivatives, and the way that's used by some to pump their superiority complexes.

What's referred to as 'full real' is actually 'nil real'.

#23 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:28

'Pathetic' has been said in anger four times here, as well as good old 'arcade' popping up once again.

The real problem however is continiued use of the word "real" and all it's derivatives, and the way that's used by some to pump their superiority complexes.

What's referred to as 'full real' is actually 'nil real'.

I am the one the used the term, "pathetic" and I never once use it in anger. 

I also never used the term "full real" so I am not sure who you are quoting. The term "real" is a historically realistic experience as the game will allow. People enjoy the "arcade experience." This is evident in other game genres. Through initial game development and mods, players have a choice today that they did not have 20+ years ago. 

If this thread is evidence, then it is more accurate to say some people have an inferiority complex about the use of icons than the other way around. I certainly explain your responses and other in regards to the use of the word "pathetic" which only refers to someone who ultimately does not want to use icons at all. If you always intend to use icons to play and intend to continue to use them for years to come then the term doesn't even apply to you. 

comic3_signature2018.png

#24 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 24 February 2018 - 15:57

You don't want to be that guy that plays this game for 5 years and still can only play with the icons on. That is just pathetic. 

I never said that people who prefer icons are pathetic

If this thread is evidence, then it is more accurate to say some people have an inferiority complex about the use of icons than the other way around. I certainly explain your responses and other in regards to the use of the word "pathetic" which only refers to someone who ultimately does not want to use icons at all. If you always intend to use icons to play and intend to continue to use them for years to come then the term doesn't even apply to you. 

What is your day job? A politician?

That is the finest example of doublespeak I have ever seen'

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

#25 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 24 February 2018 - 16:59

What is your day job? A politician?

That is the finest example of doublespeak I have ever seen'

Doublespeak means: deliberately euphemistic, ambiguous, or obscure language

I literally elaborated three different times on the original point I made. I have done the exact opposite. 

Asking me my job and stuff is clearly meant to be antagonistic. I am not on this forum for that nonsense. 

comic3_signature2018.png

#26 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 24 February 2018 - 17:53

I am not on this forum for that nonsense. 

Welcome to the Rise of Flight forums! :icon_lol: As I tried to hint to you in another thread, if you are a person of strong opinions, and you wish to express them here on this forum, I think you will soon learn that attempting to be diplomatic with certain individuals is a waste of your time.  You can't use reason with the unreasonable.

#27 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 24 February 2018 - 23:11

Planes silhouettes has been a time tested method for training chaps to identify planes.

But we are not really talking about that... we are actually talking about seeing them in the first instance.

A tiny smudge in the distance is unidentifiable. and is mostly due to the stupid anamorphic/dished flat picture plane

rubbish that no one seems to question. ( feed gamers any old bilge that they can run around in and they are chuffed..)

and the worst thing is how close you have to get to identify the blinking thing.

Unless you have an really big high pixel density screen...

So if in your gaming you still need help from icons ON then great! Go forth from this place and play on-ON! or something...

What really is pathetic is the way the things in the middle of the screen are a different size to the same thing on the edge of the screen. That really is pa.thet.ic. and yet here we are....

If the devs were really really commited to god darn realism they would have NOT introduced icons, fly by mouse and PRESS E TO START. ever seen an E button on a plane?  maybe E for Eject or E for Elephant. ( an obscure mod where you sprout four very large feet and wade through the mud till you get to a firm bit of pitch.)

Lets us enjoy our icons ON, swill our brandy and ignore the toffs who scoff at the lot of us from their private booths.

A nameplates off mod would be excellent I say. Quite.

Salute!

Planky.

-

Captured again!

#28 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 03 March 2018 - 23:44

Pike, you have to take into account that back in the days the furball servers used icons because of the red vs blue missions. In this way, you could fly any airplane, German or entente, on both sides. This nullified the differences between planes, and duels between two equal planes were common (D7 vs D7, Camel vs Camel, etc). That is, equal playing fields for both players.

As the dserver does not allow different settings for different missions, a furball server who wanted to have a red vs. blue mission needed to use icons on all missions. I and players in general defended the red vs blue missions (for obvious reasons), so we always coped with icons on furball servers. Which does not mean people can't do a furball server without icons, but I do miss the red vs blue missions.

But we don't have those anymore on the servers (red vs blue), so the presence of icons is more of a choice than a necessity and I rather don't have them (icons) in this context.

This no longer has to happen in Flying Circus, since the server will be able to choose different settings for different missions.

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#29 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationJilin, China

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:04

Appreciate the "411." It sounds like Flying Circus will add a great deal of fun to all playing styles! 

comic3_signature2018.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users