Virgil T50 Mongoose

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ceowulf

Ceowulf
  • LocationA long way from Tipperary

Posted 07 February 2018 - 16:27

Hi All,

Just ordered the T50 BE stick yesterday, upgrading from an awesome but tired MSFFB2 - can't wait.  I'll report back how my process goes with Virpil.  Hope they take care of me.  And that it's less than 43 days to get here.  I'm in the States, btw.

I posted this in a thread over at IL2 but thought maybe some of you guys might be curious since Virpil is so new. 

Ceowulf<><

That thread:

https://forum.il2stu...goost-50/page-1

#2 Ceowulf

Ceowulf

Posted 07 February 2018 - 16:30

Haha, autocorrect.  Thread title should be Virpil not Virgil but I can't see how to edit.  

#3 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 07 February 2018 - 17:41

Hi Wulf,

I got one of these about 10 days ago, finally gave up on my WH nightmares.

As they come from Belarus I was subject to UK Import Duty, so be prepared for a potential nasty surprise !

I assume you've seen the available Ewetube vids on it - I'd use the Cam profiles recommended in the relevant vid, and the weakest of the springs provided. I also have 13cm of extension on it which further reduces the tension.

The Handle is Ok, ergonomics pretty good and the buttons feel good quality. Although it's a good bit taller than the Warty, it's not all grippable and feels slightly tighter than it.

The base movement is excellent... until each axis crosses it's center line when you get a bit of a 'klunk'. The very effect I was hoping to avoid.

It's a fundamental flaw in the design as it makes drawing arcs with your stick practically impossible, and from my experience as a simmer - smooth flying frequently requires drawing arcs with your stick.

However don't let that put you off too much, I think I'm getting used to it, and as I say the general movement is smooth and solid.

If you follow the firmware / software vid (Russian with subtitles) you'll have it installed in no time.

Sorry to have beaten you to it ;)

:icon_e_salute:

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#4 Pirato

Pirato
  • LocationUnder a Bridge

Posted 07 February 2018 - 18:47

I imagine when you use the "no center" Cam profile you should not have any "klunk". I'm using a BRD Stick,with no center detent in the Cams,the transition is very smooth,you only notice that you near the center because of the weaker spring force.

Dann gibt's Heulen und Zähne klammern, für das ganze Lumpenpack.
Dann ist Schluss mit "Tischlein deck' dich", da gibt's "Knüppel aus dem Sack"!

#5 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 08 February 2018 - 16:22

Piri - thanks for reminding me how thick I am sometimes :huh:.

Yes ! The Cams for the job are now in place.

Last 15% or so of movement is a bit stiff with this profile, but the klunks are no more - it's smooth a baby's...

Cheers for that :icon_e_salute: .

#6 Ceowulf

Ceowulf

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:30

So I got my Mongoos T50 Black Edition last Tuesday. Ordered Feb 6, shipped Feb 22, arrived East Coast US Feb 27. 21 days total. Only one full day in U.S. customs or whatever happens at "destination import office" at JFK.

Here's my first impression of the stick after a couple hours of flight. It's fantastic. I'm coming from a MSFFB2 which I still love but this thing is in a new class. I have it mounted off to the side of my right armrest and that feels fine, even in right rolls.

I'm using a MonsterTech Extended Mount to support it and I should say that thing is pretty nice itself, albeit expensive. By the way, Olson got the thing to me a week sooner than he promised and I found him very accessible by email. (Took 20 days from day of order.) I would buy from them again for sure.

Pros:

Grip is very ergonomic. I have the hand rest all the way down but that's not important other than to say it fits my medium sized hands well. (I always wear size large gloves but never XL if that helps.) The stick does feel tall but in a good way. Buttons are well placed for me.

About the buttons: Really nice to have so many options. Can't wait to figure out how to make pinky shift work too but I don't need it. Index finger buttons are slow for me so I use accordingly. The double trigger is a cool upgrade – now I automatically center view to gunsight before I fire. Brake lever thing does make WW2 landings easier.

Stick shaft and gimble: I have full 225mm extension kit installed. Long stick with 15 degree throw is a topic of its own. No more curves and tons of precision. Like, shoot the enemy pilot in the head on purpose... almost. Also, landings feel easier across ROF and IL-2. And for whatever it's worth, it just feels right to have the long throw and resistance.

The whole joystick just feels and looks cool. Obviously, that's really subjective but I find I keep wanting to get it out to play with when I should be working. I find I'm enjoying flying even more now. I'm sure this thing, like everything else, will become normal but what a nice piece of kit it is.

Cons:

Learning to adapt: Long stick and shaft mean you have to move the stick much farther with your hand for a maneuver and those milliseconds matter sometimes. This is not a problem with the design but just inherent in a full-length stick, of course, and will require a period of adapting, I think. The long stick with increasing resistance springs makes me feel like I'm slower to react in fights. Also, it just, in general, feels so different that my muscle memory is half unavailable. I don't regret any of this but it's worth noting.

Firmware/software: Not very intuitive to a halftarded person like myself. Got it done but it felt like I was going to frag the stick forever by making some mistake. Just pay attention.

Virpil's website and ordering process were unfamiliarish to me as an American. Belarus may be a great country but it's not one I know so if people on the IL-2 forum hadn't vouched for Virpil, the website would have looked and felt sketchy to me. However, they did get the stick to me and so far, I love it.

Ceowulf<><

#7 Ceowulf

Ceowulf

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:35

By the way, ZF, I've kept that original spring and cam in place.  I guess I need a familiar klunk to know I'm safely back in the middle.  Let me know what else you're learning about it anyhow.

Ceowulf<><

#8 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 06 March 2018 - 12:56

Hey Ceowulf, great to hear you got it and you seem to be very happy with it !

I tried all three extensions initially but quickly changed to 15cm. I was used to 10cm on the Warthog so I felt going up to 15cm was enough. It feels about right for a WW1 plane.

For anyone thinking about extensions I find you get used to them in a few hours of flying, and I'm sure you'll be comfortable with your 22.5 soon enough if not already !

Still got the 'smooth' Cams in - stupidly the pre-fitted ones are the only ones I never tried, but if they have any sort of a klunk I'll stick with the smooth ones.

I'm just about used to the stiffness at the peripheries, only slight concern is the strain that puts on the desk mount (mainly x-axis).. but you have a different mount anyway.

And still using the lightest springs, to minimise the outer stiffness with the cams I'm using.

I still think the WH grip is more comfortable, button layout slightly better, but I'm not complaining too much it's fine.

The top 3 thumb buttons are a bit of a stretch for me, and on the WH the main thumb 4-way was offset to the left which I preferred - I'm still activating 'outside view' (right) by mistake sometimes when I wanted 'zoom in' (up). That can be off-putting in the middle of a dogfight !

Not found a use for the 'brake lever' in WW1, but the pinky button I use to 'reload'.

Overall it's improved me, no doubt.

I fly anything and everything in RoF, but my main loves are currently Pup and Camel. Not easy to handle flying in full turns and on the edge of stall speed.

For years now my WH's have all been slacking in the center, as well as the handle rotating - this made holding stick position difficult, and the slightest movement when holding a Sopwith at stall speed you've lost it.

The T50 is smooth and precise, and I'm rarely stalling now. Still once in a while under extreme pressure - so always room for improvement !

Combined with good quality pedals, could be about the best virtual flying experience around just now.

(Although I expect the VKB's to be as good).

I would certainly advise anyone thinking of splashing out on a stick to steer clear of the WH, in favour of the T50.

As I said, anyone in the EU thinking about it should check for Import Taxes.

:icon_e_salute:

#9 Ceowulf

Ceowulf

Posted 06 March 2018 - 15:15

Actually, I am exaggerating to say there's a klunk.  It more feels like it's got a smooth but strong preference for the spot.  

I kept the medium springs for just the same reason - I feel like I am putting a pretty healthy force out on the X-axis.  I had to extra tighten some corresponding bolts on the Monster clamp actually.  Again though, I'm using all the extensions in the pack to get 22.5cm.

By the way, it's is being discussed right now over at IL-2 whether Virpil even allows this.  Apparently, the Russian only manual for the T50 Base says no more than 15cm.  

Same for my recommendation vs the MSFFB2.  Much as I loved that old thing, this stick is much better to me and worth the buy.  (Even though I had to get a night job to pay for it.)

Ceowulf<><

#10 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:09

Just to add one thing.. the red button (top left) is proving a bit hit or miss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users