Photo
- - - - -

Is there a damage model mod that makes shootdowns easier?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rotagen

rotagen

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:45

Argue if you will, but I find the damage model unrealistic considering wood/canvas and more importantly makes the game feel like drudgery instead of a good time,

I can't find a mod that changes this to make it more realistic and easier to shoot down the planes.  I found a "decrease lethality" mod and I guess I could compare it to the stock file but just wondering if there's something I can just grab.

thanks.

#2 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:51

Argue if you will, but I find the damage model unrealistic considering wood/canvas and more importantly makes the game feel like drudgery instead of a good time,

I can't find a mod that changes this to make it more realistic and easier to shoot down the planes.  I found a "decrease lethality" mod and I guess I could compare it to the stock file but just wondering if there's something I can just grab.

thanks.

Try 'start mission/settings/improved gunnery'.

A side-effect of altering the main damage model is that it would also include the player which means that you might often not be in combat long enough to get in a shot at the EA. In reality, of course, damage is a variable and there are authentic accounts of aircraft returning with over 100 bullet-holes. There are extremes either way.

It is no fun being whacked by a stray bullet from a friendly.

Cheers.

#3 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:45

Make it easier?! Right now 10-15 bullets rip off a wing most often than not, it's quite on the arcade side. You'll find mods that make it more realistic, that is, you really need to aim for the engine, the fuel tank or the pilot.

#4 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:42

That is the problem with the damage boxes. If not being programmed you can not shoot throught to hit a critical part. So you have to aim direct to the modeled pilot, engine or shoot though the edge of the wing. In real life canvas could not stop bullets, all the WW1 game I played do have problems with that, also Woff btw.

Using mods can give other more serious problems like return to the desktop failure.

I would buy one of the gun mods from the store like the 20mm gun for the Albatros, fill it with explosive ammo and your problem is solved.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#5 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 14 January 2018 - 13:41

thanks.

Yeah, improved gunnery will do the trick. You can shot down planes like flies.

But as people are mentioning, the current DM is inaccurate for the contrary reasons to your wishes. In real life you could waste a whole belt in a wing to no avail. You had to kill the pilot or the engine. While in game you can aim a burst to the tip of the wing and shot down almost anything with a few shots.

If you want realism, better to practice more and to don't use improved gunnery. And then in a couple years you are going to come back to complain that the DM is to fragile and that planes are being shot down too easy. Especially if you are firing with weapon mods from the gunning position with a point and shot mouse, aiming sights and 360º free angles. 

If RL was the same as ROF, MvR would have those 300+ kills that the Germans had in WWII. Big furballs would end up with dozens of planes shot down, while in RL a big furball of several dozen planes would end up with a handful of kills if that much. Take a look at this account. From what he says, a furball of approximately 80 planes and he saw 3 confirmed shot down planes and one probable. And it was a long furball, when there was time for other squadrons to join in and all. From what we see in the servers, I would imagine a furball of 80 planes of a couple minutes would end up with dozens of planes down. And in servers with no improved gunnery. With improved gunnery you would see less than 20 planes going back home.

"There will be honor enough for us all."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users