Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Highlights from US 103rd and JG1 Flyin on Thursday Evenings

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 06 January 2018 - 04:35

Thought it might be useful to have a Video thread to post highlights from the Thursday night flyins.

The recent Jan4 (jan5th for some of us) Winter Cappy map made for some intense battles with multiple engagements going on up and down the lines.

This video captures JG1_Hotleads lone fight against 2 SE5a's, but you also get a glimpse of many other fights going on and an impressive shot of 4 or 5 SPADS attacking in formation. Had to be the US103rd guys!

:icon_e_salute:

"Gathering his pilots around him on arrival he gave a pep talk, saying that they were equipped with the finest machine of all time and had three battle-experienced flight commanders. He expected every one of them to fight like hell and that it must never be said that any of them ever failed to go to the aid of a comrade, regardless of the cost, and that no patrol was ever to be late in taking off."

Major Keith 'Grid' Caldwell, 74 Sq

#2 J2_Wulfe

J2_Wulfe

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:00

Brilliant! I was stuck on the deck below this fur ball in a tripe, desperately trying to climb up to get a piece of the action  :( 

Nice to see some footage of what was going on up there though! S  :icon_e_salute:

Wulfe, Unteroffizier von Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke".

cDS2KiC.pngR1Qjktb.png

#3 US103_Hunter

US103_Hunter
  • LocationOver The Front!

Posted 06 January 2018 - 18:03

Nice video Paul!

103rd%20forum%20sig.jpg

#4 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:36

Great video Paul! Yeah...y'all got me good!  :icon_lol:  :icon_mad:  :icon_e_deadman:

My first mistake was to pursue that Se5a alone over enemy lines...right after I saw the US103rd's splendidly horrifying formation fly into battle behind me. :icon_eek:  By the time you and Angel were on me, I was a dead man. I tried spinning out to lose some altitude and ditch, but I pulled out too soon. Also, you had a great shot on my engine - excellent marksmanship there!

Salute!  :icon_e_salute:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#5 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:28

Thanks guys :icon_e_salute:

Here's a few short videos from Jan11/12 session on Cubans Syndicate Server.

Not meaning to spam videos, just enjoying messing around with DaVinci Resolve and RoF.

SE5a: Three Bounces and A Funeral
1. The Good
2. The Bad
3. The Ugly

My headtracking was glitching but that's no excuse no excuse for the woeful gunnery. It just got worse as the session went on. The last video was, well, "defeat snatched from the jaws of victory".

S! to all pilots involved.
Playlist of the 3 - https://www.youtube....XXFHIzg9rmM6N4h

"Gathering his pilots around him on arrival he gave a pep talk, saying that they were equipped with the finest machine of all time and had three battle-experienced flight commanders. He expected every one of them to fight like hell and that it must never be said that any of them ever failed to go to the aid of a comrade, regardless of the cost, and that no patrol was ever to be late in taking off."

#6 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:58

For @Sturtz59 here's one of your 'dances' from 25/01/18 - 1916 map on Cubans Syndicate Server.

It was either a Nieuport N17 or a DH2 so yeah, least worst option.

Haven't flown it online before and had no idea where the limits were against a human, but it has a tilt Lewis and i've seen lots of cmbailey videos, so how bad could it be? :icon_e_wink:

Ended up acceptable, but this first engagement was pretty rough. I really thought the N17 would turn inside the DII in sustained right turn..didn't happen. Perhaps i was too conservative or maybe the turn descended too fast letting him maintain speed.

'STURTZ' called these fights a 'dance', so i couldn't resist adding a little period flavour.

In the end we stood on each others feet!

Music: Azalea Waltz - Dr Clarence Penny

#7 sturtz

sturtz
  • LocationOklahoma. United States

Posted 27 January 2018 - 15:12

That was great Paul !  Loved the music. I know what you mean on flying something new online for the first time. Was my first ride in the DII as well. Heck,, it was my first time flying ROF online with really good pilots.  LOL   You handled that kite very well. As your recording shows I first tried split S'ing to get on your tail. Then you kicked that rudder over hard and did those spiral right turns. Trying to get inside of you while picking up more speed as we lost altitude was impossible. I just tried to hang on to your six the best I could and ride it out. Was afraid to exit the fight and have you shoot me with those Vickers.  Normally I'm an energy fighter. I try not to get into a tight turn fight. Lucky I didn't tear my wings off.

Thank you for recording. Something else I haven't learned to do yet.

SALUTE 

Paullmf2

Sturtz

#8 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 January 2018 - 16:03

Great video Paul! Had to chuckle at the music choice. :lol:

Keep the videos coming! They’re entertaining, short, and I enjoy them a lot! :)

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#9 shadepiece

shadepiece
  • LocationThe Rockies

Posted 27 January 2018 - 22:38

Hello gents,

I had a great time on the Cuban server this past Thursday. I was lucky enough to have HotLunch on my wing, and we got into quite an amazing dogfight at the end of the night. My capture software was unfortunately not capturing my mic during this dogfight, but it was still so good I had to put it up. I would love to show you the incredible communications between me and my wing man, but I unfortunately cannot. Still enjoy this intense dogfight as HotLunch and I are jumped by two high Spads and two lower Nieuports. Special thanks to the gents that put this event on, I had a real blast.

Cheers!
-Shadepiece

#10 US103_Hunter

US103_Hunter

Posted 28 January 2018 - 00:35

That was very memorable scrap. I don't know who the Nieuports were, but Furlow was the SPAD that got hit and went home. I was the single SPAD that pecked at you for a bit before braking off. :icon_mad:

103rd%20forum%20sig.jpg

#11 US103_Furlow

US103_Furlow
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:11

Seemed to take longer on film than what I remember. :icon_e_salute:

I dared to wander outside of the echo chamber.

#12 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:54

Hello gents,

I had a great time on the Cuban server this past Thursday. I was lucky enough to have HotLunch on my wing, and we got into quite an amazing dogfight at the end of the night. My capture software was unfortunately not capturing my mic during this dogfight, but it was still so good I had to put it up. I would love to show you the incredible communications between me and my wing man, but I unfortunately cannot. Still enjoy this intense dogfight as HotLunch and I are jumped by two high Spads and two lower Nieuports. Special thanks to the gents that put this event on, I had a real blast.

Cheers!
-Shadepiece

That was some pro stuff going on there!

Great insight into the engagement. Thanks for sharing

#13 shadepiece

shadepiece
  • LocationThe Rockies

Posted 30 January 2018 - 03:00

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. A few of my mates and I will be trying to look into getting on more often if Thursday nights become a common night for folks to fly the full real servers in RoF. I am glad there are still a few who get on regularly. We can't wait for Flying Circus!

#14 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:13

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it. A few of my mates and I will be trying to look into getting on more often if Thursday nights become a common night for folks to fly the full real servers in RoF. I am glad there are still a few who get on regularly. We can't wait for Flying Circus!

Stoked for Flying Circus too! Thursday nights are a regular thing. We alternate between Wargrounds and Cuban’s server, so this week it’ll be Wargrounds. ;) We start at about 8pm Central time.

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#15 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 12 February 2018 - 00:24

Unbreakable Gotha

Last Thursday a low flying Gotha was disturbing our tanks. J30! This time they're fully crewed, J30Hangman piloting, J30_Kaiser in the nose and J30 Mein rear turret.

But I was feeling confident.
My Spad had balloon guns and there were at least 3 Spads in the area.

- I dive in and get in a short burst.
- FragelGT has a go but gets beaten off
- Nuby Wombat and I attack together, unfortunately we can't see each other. We're joined by a 3rd 'friendly'
- the Gotha endures a hailstorm of lead
- Carnage ensues and the identity of the 3rd friendly is revealed. Weird, hopefully we don't 'Seemore' of this.
- one plane survives to carry on its mission.

Unfortunately the footage gets a bit laggy which spoils the effect I was after. An interesting exercise nonetheless.

Salute to the redoubtable Hangman/Mein/Kaiser. Apart from the 4 victories I saw, apparently they also dealt with SpadjockeyGT (in a Spad btw) just prior to this. 5 in a flight!

#16 US103_Hunter

US103_Hunter

Posted 12 February 2018 - 13:57

J30 in any bomber is no joke! S! guys!

103rd%20forum%20sig.jpg

#17 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 12 February 2018 - 16:03

Probably too much sun glare for Seemore, Parser shows no recorded hits by him. He must have been woozy from his prior GT collisions with Fragel, Voodoo and Spadjockey.

gthg5_voi_055.jpg

Image taken from parser log of that sortie. It doesn't match skin in video. Maybe Seemore seeless ?

I've got my mind right now Boss. NoEyGlass-300x169.jpg

#18 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 12 February 2018 - 18:10

They are a freak machine of death. Salute to them!

#19 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 12 February 2018 - 19:02

Great film! Odd about the D.VII, although it didn't seem to faze the J30 boys lol. 

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#20 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 13 February 2018 - 00:46

gthg5_voi_055.jpg

Image taken from parser log of that sortie. It doesn't match skin in video. Maybe Seemore seeless ?

Interesting, thanks. I don't have many Gotha skins, could probably download more, but that ones bordering on stealth

@hotlead yeah, they're just like 'bring it on, we'll deal with whatever comes our way'

#21 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 20 April 2018 - 13:24

Very short video of the clouds i experienced on the Cambrai map during 19/4/18 flyin. Apparently not everyone had them!

#22 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 April 2018 - 13:56

Wow! They definitely were not there for me! O_O

XZjh8rJ.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users