Warthog HOTAS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blazingstar

Blazingstar
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:14

Please forgive a question that’s probably been asked before
I have a Warthog HOTAS system and find all the buttons quite baffling.

Is there a resource for how to set this device up properly, or can someone please share their mapping options and save me hours of trial and error.

Many thanks.
Forever hopeful and frequently frustrated with RoF

#2 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:20

It really is about personal preference, but here are my control mappings.  You'll have to refer to the button diagram on Page 4 and 5 of the manual that came with the Warthog

Joystick

B1 (first trigger position)-fire first weapon group, which is typically the guns mounted on the cowling.

B6-(second trigger position) fire all weapons (primary, secondary, and tertiary)

B5-fire secondary weapons group only (for example tiltable Lewis Gun)

B7-Zoom in

B9-Reset zoom (most people would use this for Zoom Out instead)

B15-Release Bomb

B17-Unjam or cock weapons

PoVUp-Custom Snap view that aligns eye position with upward tilted Lewis sight.

B10-Teamspeak Push to Talk

B8-Teamspeak Mute

B19- Freeze TrackIR (set in Track IR software)

B4 (paddle)-Recenter TrackIR (set in TrackIR software)

Throttle

ZR axis-Throttle Engine 1*

Z axis-Throttle Engine 2*

B2-Tilt/lower secondary weapons (tiltable Lewis Gun)

Slider0- Aircraft Stabilizer position (alternatively, Mixture and/or Altitude Throttle axis)**

B7-Speedbrakes

* I normally keep these throttles locked together and operate them as one, because I only fly Single Engined Aircraft in RoF.

** I use a Logitech/Saitek 3 lever throttle for Mixture controls or Altitude Throttle, radiators, etc, because the WH Hotas system simply doesn't have enough levers to accomodate all the things I would prefer to map to an axis.  Most of these controls can easily be assigned to up/down rocker switches on your Warthog joystick or throttle if that is your preference.  Some people use the Slider on the Warthog throttle double-mapped for Mixture/Altitude throttle instead of Stabilizer Trim, and if I didn't have additional throttle quadrants, I would probably do this as well.

This is obviously just one of a thousand ways you could set things up, and it is pretty minimalist, but that's what I use. 

#3 Blazingstar

Blazingstar
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 07 January 2018 - 01:03

Thank you.
I’m working through it.
The button diagrams are a big help.
Is there a glossary explaining what the setting labels within RoF assignments mean?

Thanks again

#4 Blazingstar

Blazingstar
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:49

I have a new question, and this one is an interesting problem.

I’ve gone through and assigned quite a few keys to the Warthog stick and throttle devices and was unhappy to see things not working.

Here’s the problem RoF sees my three devices by numbers. That is, the joulystick is called Joystick-0, throttle device is called Joystick-1 and the rudder pedals are joystick-3

No problem.

Except this time when I started the game, the numbers assigned to the devices were all mixed up, and so none of the key assignments (as well as flight control inputs) worked because button 1 on joystick-0 is not the same as button 1 on joystick-1

Mind you, this was without having unplugged any of the devices.
How do I fix this and make sure the device labels stick?!

I’m sure you guys don’t reassign device names every time you decide to launch RoF!

BYW, I’m on a Win10 machine.

Thanks for the help.

#5 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 10 January 2018 - 11:37

Check this, it may help: https://forum.il2stu...e-2#entry294446

#6 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 10 January 2018 - 19:44

I have a new question, and this one is an interesting problem.

I’ve gone through and assigned quite a few keys to the Warthog stick and throttle devices and was unhappy to see things not working.

Here’s the problem RoF sees my three devices by numbers. That is, the joulystick is called Joystick-0, throttle device is called Joystick-1 and the rudder pedals are joystick-3

No problem.

Except this time when I started the game, the numbers assigned to the devices were all mixed up, and so none of the key assignments (as well as flight control inputs) worked because button 1 on joystick-0 is not the same as button 1 on joystick-1

Mind you, this was without having unplugged any of the devices.
How do I fix this and make sure the device labels stick?!

I’m sure you guys don’t reassign device names every time you decide to launch RoF!

BYW, I’m on a Win10 machine.

Thanks for the help.

If this only happened once, I would patiently re-assign the controls, and see if it happens again, and if so it's a problem, otherwise it's a quirk.  Generally speaking, unless you are plugging and unplugging your controllers, this shouldn't be happening. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users