* * * * * 3 votes

Major Announcement Friday November 17th at 12:00 GMT Friday November 17th, 2017

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#121 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 20 November 2017 - 16:36

What does netcode mean?

That's typically the underlying code that handles all communications through the network  ie.  Master Server, Game Server, Game Client communication back and forth.

Some things that are important there:  making it fast, making it secure, making it bandwidth efficient, making it fault-tolerant for poorer connections, etc.  It's all stuff that's "under the hood", but critical to online gaming.

Regards,

:icon_e_salute:

#122 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 20 November 2017 - 16:49

I wonder if the RoF skins will work with FC as well or it will all go to waste?

God I hope so, but it's not clear.  I'm not sure I'm up for redoing the thousands of skins I've done for RoF.  I know that you can do 4K skins for BoX, but TBH I've never really seen the value or attraction of the 4K skins.  Some people love them, and they're sometimes a bit of an improvement when viewed from the cockpit or in really close-up screenshots, but I don't think it's anything most people would notice during actual flight operations in game.  Then again, everything is slower and closer with the WWI birds, so maybe they'll go that way for FC.  Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#123 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 20 November 2017 - 17:28

What does netcode mean?

S!

People want the net code improved to allow more players on a server. They want to be able to get more than 70 players on a server. Altering the net code is labor intensive and would take a lot of time. Decision was made to place effort on new products such as FC.  

The present plan is to get FC working on an initial small map with some of the most popular planes. This is the first step so that people can see what is coming. Then the Western front map will be redone and more planes made available. Once all the planes that are in RoF are moved over, work will start on new planes. Good news is that some of this work is to be done by professional third party groups. This is probably why FC is going to be available by the end of next year. (hopefully)

Career mode will not be available for some time as the maps and planes need to be done first. 

With the Western front map and another 8 planes, I would expect that online multiplay will move to FC. With the capabilities of the BoX mission editor, there will be new opportunities  in mission design.

There was also some discussion of a new online position in a mission, "Sky Marshall". This person would have some abilities to interact with players and the mission while it is in progress. Features such as directing ground troops or placing markers on the map may become available.

:icon_e_smile:

sig9.png

#124 Kelp44

Kelp44
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 20 November 2017 - 22:53

What stuck on hearing Jason about the new FC was that they primary intend to bring in the planes from ROF much as they are now by refurbishing the lot, meaning adapted to the upgraded/new engine.
Same for the maps, which is a easier job while but maybe buildings and so would get extra treatment in way of better/updated looks.
That job will be handed out to a third party that already worked for them & will be paid for it.
The first module may take something like 10 to 12 months.
To keep their WW1 way of behaving/flying/FM those planes need a different approach compared to the WW2 ones so merging both in the same missions may or may not be possible.
However MP would happen on the same master server, but where new multi threaded net code would need way to much work for their 2 head programmers already completely tied up for a rather extended period.
So no way to free them  for an extra long job that would only benefice an MP crowd that makes out 5 to 10 % of the paying customers.
The first intend is to import as fast as possible the existing ROF contend in order to add new planes later.
The first plane set consist logically of the most popular and modern plane models.

#125 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 21 November 2017 - 18:13

thanx Four and Butzell for explaining :icon_e_salute:

#126 19te.Deafbee

19te.Deafbee

Posted 26 November 2017 - 00:55

I am soooo happy with the news. I have been playing Il2 BOS for a long time now. But I miss flying the ww1 planes in ROF, The new Il2 engine is just so much better in my opinion, and will be so good with ww1. 

#127 Oracle

Oracle

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:35

People want the net code improved to allow more players on a server. They want to be able to get more than 70 players on a server.

Unless something has changed with BoX game engine and/or netcode, or you mean something else (70 vs. 70?), Syndicate used to host 75 players every Sunday in the good olde days.

#128 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 17 May 2018 - 20:13

Trupo @ BoS forum:
So, how is work on Flying Circus going?

Jason Williams:
It's in development. First couple planes are taking shape. You'll get news of it soon.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#129 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:16

Trupo @ BoS forum:
So, how is work on Flying Circus going?

Jason Williams:
It's in development. First couple planes are taking shape. You'll get news of it soon.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! :D 

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users