Major Announcement Friday November 17th at 12:00 GMT Friday November 17th, 2017

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#81 JG1_Butzzell

JG1_Butzzell

Posted 17 November 2017 - 17:20

S! All

Great news.

Did you notice the map size? 100 x 100 km.  Now for speculation. Such a small map should allow for a huge amount of detail, ground structures, farms, factories and...  and.... a zeppelin shed or two?  Hopefully Genius's buildings will be in there. 

While I can honestly say that I am not an overly competitive person,  I call first in line for pre order !!!!!!!!!

:icon_e_salute:

sig9.png

#82 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 17 November 2017 - 17:28

And if I could be the first to volunteer as a tester - yes, me me me please :))

I think they will be consulting Plank first.

#83 Hellshade

Hellshade

Posted 17 November 2017 - 17:38

Let the flight model bickering commence!!

Sadly, this is probably all too true.  LOL

#84 US103_Hobbs

US103_Hobbs

Posted 17 November 2017 - 17:53

Looks good, get your billfold out!

Attached File  RoF 2.jpg   111.17KB   1 downloads

#85 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 17 November 2017 - 17:55

I think they will be consulting Plank first.

They can try, but he's gone all Bah Humbug over this..

Nothing to do with lack of Nieuports and Hanriots I was told :P

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#86 JG1_Vonrd_J10

JG1_Vonrd_J10
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted 17 November 2017 - 18:03

Yes... very exciting! Another thing... no more skin packs I assume? If like BoX, one just has to place custom skins in the appropriate file. Servers will have the option of allowing custom skins. 

#87 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 November 2017 - 18:05

Yes... very exciting! Another thing... no more skin packs I assume? If like BoX, one just has to place custom skins in the appropriate file. Servers will have the option of allowing custom skins. 

I can see that as a big positive! 

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#88 Mertons

Mertons
  • LocationSpain

Posted 17 November 2017 - 18:12

I'm sorry mates, but I can't see the good news for RoF Community anywhere. Maybe this is great for curious WW2 pilots, which will be able to "play" those kite planes in their ww2 sim, but should not be for us which supported this project from the very beginning in the last decade.
As I interpret this announcement, we are invited to pay again for the update of a software we already own. It is not a new WW1 sim (That I'd buy so pleasantly), is the update for a sim which was abandoned for 5 years, while we were supporting other projects with our purchases of RoF content. I know it is a small dev team, etc etc etc, but it's unfair to take a sim, modify it to build another sim, and try to resell it as a brand new one. Even more when we talk about hundreds of bucks invested in RoF (and BoS, BoM & BoK). to help keeping the development on. So please, stop calling it RoF 2, because it is certainly not.

Apart from that, I leave a question: will the statement of "all new content in a single client" mean the closing of RoF master server? Moreover, will FC have the dynamic career mode we have in RoF, or will it it be as actual BoX?

Summing up, today I see definitive death of Rise of Flight more probable than ever, and for a fan that purchased all RoF content gave continuous support, it's a sad day.

S!

#89 US103_Hunter

US103_Hunter
  • LocationOver The Front!

Posted 17 November 2017 - 18:21

I'm sorry mates, but I can't see the good news for RoF Community anywhere. Maybe this is great for curious WW2 pilots, which will be able to "play" those kite planes in their ww2 sim, but should not be for us which supported this project from the very beginning in the last decade.
As I interpret this announcement, we are invited to pay again for the update of a software we already own. It is not a new WW1 sim (That I'd buy so pleasantly), is the update for a sim which was abandoned for 5 years, while we were supporting other projects with our purchases of RoF content. I know it is a small dev team, etc etc etc, but it's unfair to take a sim, modify it to build another sim, and try to resell it as a brand new one. Even more when we talk about hundreds of bucks invested in RoF (and BoS, BoM & BoK). to help keeping the development on. So please, stop calling it RoF 2, because it is certainly not.
Apart from that, I leave a question: will the statement of "all new content in a single client" mean the closing of RoF master server? Moreover, will FC have the dynamic career mode we have in RoF, or will it it be as actual BoX?

Summing up, today I see definitive death of Rise of Flight more probable than ever, and for a fan that purchased all RoF content gave continuous support, it's a sad day.
S!

I take issue with this, FC is practically a new game on a new engine. You will not lose any of the items you purchased for RoF and FC is purely optional to buy as a separate piece of software. The only way they are going to keep a WW1 sim alive and moving forward is if there is funding to keep developing and updating it. A modern updated WW1 sim with current graphics, flight and damage models as well as VR support is well worth investing additional support into with our purchases.

S!
Hunter

#90 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationTrudolyubiye

Posted 17 November 2017 - 18:42

S!

I hope guys like you, Mertons, remained forever trapped within the confines of the "old" Rise of Flight, because if this is your reaction to the news, then this is where you belong.

Meanwhile, people who like to take advantage of new technologies, increased computing power over the last 10 years, and want some life breathed into their preferred era of air combat should be very happy.

#91 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 17 November 2017 - 18:57

Think I fainted there, WOW not only ROF being updated but just as cool is we will get Battle of Bodenplatte, which looks like it's something us westerner's have wanted, flying mustangs and jet's in a real flight sim. Real battles, I have hope for 1c/777's future. Good work Jason and team. Be  ordering my copy soon, and soon as ROF2 comes ready I'll order that too. 

Thanks for the early parole. :icon_e_salute:

#92 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 17 November 2017 - 18:58

S!

Please, "ut it's unfair to take a sim, modify it to build another sim and try to resell it as a brand new one" - what is unfair with that? 
You invested money, good, you can enjoy finished product,  none one is shuting down ROF or even say it will.

BTW Like ROF started as finished product at beginning ? Nobody is calling next product ROF2 just futher development in this genre. 

For you doing nothing is better bacouse you will not have it all at once. Thanks for helping this genere survive.

34zg6jd.jpg

#93 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 17 November 2017 - 19:00

Deleted

34zg6jd.jpg

#94 Barkhorn1x

Barkhorn1x

Posted 17 November 2017 - 21:09

S!

Shorter [much!] Mertons:  I expect continuous updates on a sim 8+ years old and how dare you try and brand this a new engine [which it is].  Sad day.

#95 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 17 November 2017 - 21:44

Cant agree with Mertons at all. This will not be a simple patch of RoF, but a new environment in the much improved Digital Nature engine.

sig.png

#96 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 17 November 2017 - 22:00

I guess if one was expecting the devs to do all the work of porting RoF to the new engine, DX11, VR, etc. and give it away for free to those who purchased RoF, then I guess I could understand how someone with Mertons' view on things could only see bad news in this latest announcement.  

But, seriously, I think such a world view would be completely unrealistic, and I see nothing but good news in the announcement about Flying Circus.  RoF getting renewed attention from the devs, and especially getting VR support - OMG !!  What's not to like??  

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#97 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 17 November 2017 - 22:34

I guess if one was expecting the devs to do all the work of porting RoF to the new engine, DX11, VR, etc. and give it away for free to those who purchased RoF, then I guess I could understand how someone with Mertons' view on things could only see bad news in this latest announcement.  

But, seriously, I think such a world view would be completely unrealistic, and I see nothing but good news in the announcement about Flying Circus.  RoF getting renewed attention from the devs, and especially getting VR support - OMG !!  What's not to like??  

Absolutely nothing not to like, We all agreed in other threads that we would pay for a ROF2, some of us even bought BOS thinking it would help 777 hoping some of that good will would trickle down to ROF, and guess it did. 

#98 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:36

Chaps.

Would sign up as Beta tester.

Nieuports please, any blinking Nieuport. 

Toss the Dolphin and replace with N17/ N28.  just an idea.

No one seriously flies the Dolph....

I'm not as Bah humbug as one might think, just not ready to throw my wallet off a cliff yet...

Adjustable sights would be great and a shooting range to range them in would be excellent. if some one has some spare time to do the code... between shifts... etc.

and as the forums "idiot" I would like to also mention I have shed load of flying time, more so than some by a healthy margin. so there you go. cough.

Keep RoF flying AND try out the new FC. lets see how it pans out... the proof is in the pudding... yes?

Salute.

Plank.  ( Cranky Entente pilot with a penchant for dying dramatically...  in various locales across France...)

-

Captured again!

#99 arthursmedley

arthursmedley

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:02

Absolutely nothing not to like, We all agreed in other threads that we would pay for a ROF2, some of us even bought BOS thinking it would help 777 hoping some of that good will would trickle down to ROF, and guess it did. 

Check out Jason's post here

https://forum.il2stu...uncem/?p=533808

#100 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:49

I am not about to behave myself.

May pay again but to "behave": I think not.

The RoF crowd do not "behave", we thrash the carp out of FM's and then get all critical on it. Welcome to "critical gamers fliers".

Did not behave, will not behave in the future.

Paid? of course.  Paid in full. To the hilt.

S! P.

-

Captured again!

#101 Mertons

Mertons
  • LocationSpain

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:12

Ok, ok, before burning me at the stake let me clarify my opinion , because reading your replies I assume I didn't express myself properly  :icon_eek:

I'm not against the Flying Circus announcement, in fact I think is a good funding resource for devs. And I know that sooner or later, I'll end buying it because I love this planes and I like this team and the quality of their products. But, as someone posted a couple of days before, RoF has not "officially" finnish its development, so I was expecting some kind of attention on it, as many of you. But what I found is that none is going to be done with RoF, not even the official statement of support retirement. So my feeling is that RoF lovers are only a founding source. I know its more like heartbraking than rational thinking, but that's what I feel. I think Rof is abandoned, and a great sim like this deserves a honorable endind.

And now, some points on your replies:

I hope guys like you, Mertons, remained forever trapped within the confines of the "old" Rise of Flight, because if this is your reaction to the news, then this is where you belong.

Meanwhile, people who like to take advantage of new technologies, increased computing power over the last 10 years, and want some life breathed into their preferred era of air combat should be very happy.

It sounds a bit rough on your part since you don't know what other sims/games I use to play (modern or old), but I can assure you that I also prefer up-to-date tech sims to oldies. Apart from BoX (that I own and fly, as I said in my first post) I fly in DCS and Elite:Dangerous, which I suppose are current enough for you, aren't they?  :icon_lol:  And what is more, people flying older sims like BMS, IL2 1946 or CloD should also be trapped wherever you say? (just kidding  ^_^ )

BTW Like ROF started as finished product at beginning ? Nobody is calling next product ROF2 just futher development in this genre. 

For you doing nothing is better bacouse you will not have it all at once. Thanks for helping this genere survive.

Of course RoF was what it was at the beggining, and that's the reason why I supported it until I bought all the content (except 4 field mods of 2 seaters I have never flown). I've bought BOS, BOM, BOK, collector planes and scripted campaigns, even ST. MIhiel campaing for RoF, so don't put me under accusation of not supporting genre. And as I said in my first post I'd be more than glad of buying a ROF 2 , but as a new sim with full content, not just a planeset with a piece of map that I already own. And let me remind you that only one who did something for RoF in last years was Pat Wilson, not Devs. Not even skinpacks until some months ago.

You're right, at this point of development it is impossible to port RoF, but many here and at the IL2 forum agreed that some implementations, at least at the beggining were possible, like the ones regarding mission editor. Everyone assumed that with such a small team and budget it would be difficult, but never was officially denied by Devs, so fools like me (and someone I can't remember asking in the forum a few days ago) still hoped that some sort of updated might be done to RoF in the near future. And with the post of Jason here calling for the announcement...

In mere words, after years of claiming for updates or news for RoF, I expected something different today than a portion of planes and a map for BoX. It's a logical and right commercial model, but it's not a crime to disagree, I think. And, after all, I'm just a customer, and I believe that deciding where I put my money doesn't make me a better or worse person, as could be interpreted from some replies here.

#102 testid

testid

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:18

I'm in!

A happy week for me and RoF, first I run into Plank in the late Pacific shift and then see this in the FB threads.

Jason, yubedda unnerf the Camel and GIMME MAH ZEPPELINS. A discount would be nice!

#103 testid

testid

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:21

FWIW, I would very much be in favor of an RoF "retirement" that included stuff like opensourcing code, removing the tethering req, ESPECIALLY that allowed for dated rollbacks to pre-Camel nerfing, etc. This userbase is self-selected and self-limiting, cutting the game free of tethering would ensure its longevity for another twenty years or so.

#104 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:22

Salute TestID!

It was great to see you in game.

Bandy?

My warmest regards.

Salute!

Plank.

PS. You're in? ok I am in too. Lets go BARNSTORMING!

-

Captured again!

#105 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:35

@Mertons according to the announcement, they plan to rebuild RoF in the new engine, but starting with this initial plane set and map. Progress being dependent on success of the product.

So they couldn't cut off existing ROF during that FC dev period without pissing off the people they need to buy into the new product.

Thus probably the 2 ww1 products will be used in parallel for quite a while. Which, realistically, seems the best one could hope for.

BxlHM7Q.png                  HaO2aNP.png

#106 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:45

Ugh.

Original code was spaghetti, fired lead and then developed new code. old code is incompatible. uff....  wtf.

Probably re FM WW2 planes to WW1 standard and then move forward.

RoX....

S.!  P.

-

Captured again!

#107 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:24

In mere words, after years of claiming for updates or news for RoF, I expected something different today than a portion of planes and a map for BoX. It's a logical and right commercial model, but it's not a crime to disagree, I think. And, after all, I'm just a customer, and I believe that deciding where I put my money doesn't make me a better or worse person, as could be interpreted from some replies here.

I'm not happy about the personal nature of some of the reactions, and that certainly was not my approach or intention, so I'm with you there.  But it does seem to me that expecting "something different today than a portion of planes and a map for BoX" is a little bit naive.  Over a period of several years the devs created a vast number of planes for RoF - I don't think it's a very reasonable expection that they would try to create a new RoF II-like update in their new/revamped Digital Warfare Engine all in one go.  So, instead of trying to do all the work/planes at one time, they're starting with a manageably small group of planes and an updated map to go with them - sounds perfectly reasonable and rational to me.  It puzzles me why you (or anyone else) would view that as any sort of cheap move or bad news.  As Jason said, hopefully Flying Circus Volume 1 will sell well enough to persuade the devs to continue with their efforts to bring more and more of the RoF planes/content into the brave new world of the Digital Warfare Engine.  And in the meantime, we'll get to start enjoying a RoF-II-like experience (VR and everything else) much sooner than if they waited until they could deal with all the other plane types, maps, etc.

Would I love to have seen everything that was being done for BoX be rippled back into RoF as it was happening?  Sure (well, except for stuff like the braindead unlocks, pilot levels, and similar stuff - we really dodged a bullet by not having everything about BoX brought over to RoF, IMHO).  Unfortunately, that just wasn't possible given the economic and staffing realities of the new team.  But now, they've renewed their interest in RoF and are saying they will be bringing the benefits of their experiences with BoX to our favorite WWI flight sim.  Even if one might quibble with some of the specific details about how it will happen, to me that's got to be viewed as super good news by anybody who has an interest in seeing RoF and WWI flight simming flourish for the next several years.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#108 BraveSirRobin

BraveSirRobin
  • LocationHackistan

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:38

People who like RoF should be thrilled by this news.  Now you have the chance to prove that a WW1 sim can generate enough money to justify more development.  Or you can prove that it should be dumped completely.  No pressure...  

The toughest part of my job is dealing with incompetent clowns who think they're good at their job.

Free Plank!

#109 ST_ami7b5

ST_ami7b5

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:17

People who like RoF should be thrilled by this news.  Now you have the chance to prove that a WW1 sim can generate enough money to justify more development.  Or you can prove that it should be dumped completely.  No pressure...  

I am thrilled and  will pre-order Flying Circus immediately when available :)

#110 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:51

Yup me too

#111 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:05

BSR, on a rare occasion i totally agree with you :icon_e_biggrin:  :icon_e_salute:

I made the same comment on FB like i'm doing here.....I see people shouting out they want a discount because they paid for all the planes and content in the "old ROF". Now i think this is bullshit....

Why? Well, i'll give you an example. If you buy a new car you will pay the whole price. Over some years the model runs it will get several updates and pricedrops and discounts and then all of a sudden the new model arrives....hurray!

I would like to see the face of the salesman when you tell him you want a discount for the new model because you paid allready for the old one..

The new ROF is a new game, the developers put in lots of time and money into this game and somehow they have to get their investment back, that's how it works. It will be better and if it looks anything like it does on BOS it will be a vast improvement. The old ROF is 8+ years old and it's even amazing it lasted this long. It's still a beautifull and great game but time and improvement caught up with it. I will be happy to pay for the new game!

just my 2 cents

#112 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:15

I'm surprised so many are conjouring up "will I get a discount" as their first question to this announcement.

If we do get one it'll be 5% or something - I wouldn't expect the bumper quarterly sales RoF gets.

As this effectively guarantees no further development to RoF under current ownership, surely now is the time to sell the whole game for $30-50.

Might attract some fresh meat, who'd go on to buy FC1.

In the context of Marxy's analogy, they're still trying to sell the 9 year old car model for it's original showroom price. (sales aside).

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#113 etzel

etzel

Posted 18 November 2017 - 14:21

BSR, on a rare occasion i totally agree with you :icon_e_biggrin:  :icon_e_salute:

I made the same comment on FB like i'm doing here.....I see people shouting out they want a discount because they paid for all the planes and content in the "old ROF". Now i think this is bullshit....

Why? Well, i'll give you an example. If you buy a new car you will pay the whole price. Over some years the model runs it will get several updates and pricedrops and discounts and then all of a sudden the new model arrives....hurray!

I would like to see the face of the salesman when you tell him you want a discount for the new model because you paid allready for the old one..

The new ROF is a new game, the developers put in lots of time and money into this game and somehow they have to get their investment back, that's how it works. It will be better and if it looks anything like it does on BOS it will be a vast improvement. The old ROF is 8+ years old and it's even amazing it lasted this long. It's still a beautifull and great game but time and improvement caught up with it. I will be happy to pay for the new game!

just my 2 Cents

I totally agree with these words regarding the money: I invested some amount in RoF and I enjoyed this product for 5 years or even more now... (and I am still loving it), so it was for absolutely sure more then worth every single little Cent I paid for it!!!

And for sure I am willing to pay once again for a product that provides that experience even more imersive....

=> So far great News for sure, no doubt I will buy Flying Circus and probably even invest in some hard-ware-upgrade for full enjoyment!!

:icon_e_smile:

But... nevertheless there is also some drop of bitterness included in that news: As Flying Circus Volume I will be launched it will probably trigger the final end of Rise of Flight, at least it's online-universe (which has already shrinked a lot as we all know) will probably collapse quickly!

Now the first release of Flying Circus only includes fighters, which means it can not have the variety of missions like Rise of Flight is offerening at the moment... so at least for the first years it cannot be platform for campaingns like BA or FIF or the Syndicate and warground Missions 

This should be no blame at all in direction of the development team, it is quite clear that a step-wise approach for launching such products is only possible way to go. When FC will be a succsess, it will be enhanced continiously and maybe 3 years later we have 80% of RoFs plane set and features like bombing and recons back.

...and this side-effect softens my happines on that News a Little .... :wacko:

But well, final words: Without development no Progress, so some changes needs to be gone through 

:icon_cool:

Let's enjoy Rise of Flight as Long as still possible and looking forward to some new era rising on the horizon! 

Salute 777 and many thanks for your work!

#114 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 November 2017 - 15:40

Good thoughts Etzel! However, like Trup said, I think for a while at least, we’ll still return to ROF for big events like FiF, BA, etc. By the time ROF is finally done (was going to happen at some point anyway) hopefully FC will have matured and taken over that mantle. I hope the FC series will ultimately end up to be bigger and better in the end than ROF currently is.

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

xAKPpvf.jpg

#115 J5_Gamecock

J5_Gamecock

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:53

Good thoughts Etzel! However, like Trup said, I think for a while at least, we’ll still return to ROF for big events like FiF, BA, etc. By the time ROF is finally done (was going to happen at some point anyway) hopefully FC will have matured and taken over that mantle. I hope the FC series will ultimately end up to be bigger and better in the end than ROF currently is.

+1

Gamecock,The Kickin Chickin   http://www.jasta5.org

Untitled.jpg

#116 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:20

Agreed.

Fwiw, FC is still a ways off (at least a year?), so nothing is going to change at all during the short-term.

I'm not in the know regarding 1C/777's business plan, but I certainly don't envision them shutting down the RoF master server anytime soon either, in light of the FC announcement.  Obviously, a significant percentage of their FC customer base will come from RoF.  Further, given the plane set promised with FC, a *lot* of the mission variety will be lacking initially, so once again, I'd be surprised if they shutdown the existing RoF master server even after the initial release of FC -- current events can't be done with the proposed FC offering. Also server loads (and capability requirements) would be lower with the current RoF set-up, particularly with folks migrating to FC where feasible, and one might presume that operating costs to keep it up, running, and available, would be relatively small in comparison to what's needed to support BoS/M/K/FC/xyz. I doubt it costs them much (comparitively) to leave it on, at least for awhile.

Of course, it's their business, so we'll see what they *actually* do, but speaking for New Wings, even after FC is released, we'd be inclined to keep at least one "RoF Classic" server up and running as long as the Master Server (or a drop-in proxy for it) remains available.

In the meantime though, I don't see any viable reason to lament IL2-FC, or be anything other than enthusiastic for its arrival. Meanwhile, pilots should continue to be active in the current RoF events and servers while we're waiting for FC's release.

Regards,

#117 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:46

Hey guys! Here’s a video of Jason’s Q and A this morning:

I haven’t listened all the way through yet, but I found parts specific to FC to be very interesting. Namely, at the beginning of the video and at approx 1 hr 44 mins into the video.

Jason said that his hope is to eventually run out of planes to port over from ROF and to eventually make some new ones. Also, he plans to implement in ROF’s existing flight models to FC rather than try to adjust their WW2 flight models or create entirely new ones. Namely, the FC planes should feel like they do now. I can’t complain about that! There’s something really attractive about firing up a brand new flight sim, settling into a gorgeously new (yet still quite familiar) cockpit, and feeling right at home.

I think it’s a very real possibility for FM tweaks to come down the line with FC, but I think they will come once the series is established. ;)

xAKPpvf.jpg

#118 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:45

Synopsis: (edited in and paraphrased as I listen to it, not direct quotes)

Q: Which of the existing RoF concepts will remain usable - missions, mods, campaigns...
A: Primarily airplanes. They will be refurbished and moved by one of our development partners. Possible improvements to mesh and textures. Possibly redo the skins and templates. The goal is to get them flying fast, so changes may be minimal. Then, the map; about 100kmx10km taken from RoF map. The map - villages, fields etc - is to be improved. This process is going to take about a year. Making a career is not a goal yet, not on small map. Jason hopes that Flying Circus:Volume 2 will have full map of France and new planeset, maybe 1917 planeset or something like that. It won't be done overnight, but hopefully it will be faster than work on Sturmovik products. Single, quick, MP missions will be there in FC volume 1, the main missing part will be full map and career. 

Q: Does that mean it will be done before BoB?
A: Yes. BoB development will be about 20 months process, just like Kuban. FC they hope will take about 10-12 months for all the content, if they don't run into problems. They hope to do it relatively quickly.

Q: Net code improvements in BoX?
A: Not in a year or so.

Q: Will the mission editor and custom skins for FC work like in BoX?
A: Yes.

Q: Will FMs be polished in FC?
A: We're going to use existing FMs as a base. They are more compatibile with Digital Nature, and later FM problems in BoX were caused by accomodating WW2 planes in WW1-based engine. 

Q: Will the amazing feel of flight from RoF be preserved?
A: That's a goal.

Q;Will we see Dr.1 vs Yak1 matches?
A: We hope to make it possible to have them fly side by side. To early to say. We're going to combine two engines, we don't know what the result will be. No promises. Goal is to preserve RoF uniqueness. Goal is run out of planes to port over from ROF and to start making new ones

Q: Will RoF owners have to pay again for same planes?
A: We may be able to offer some kind of discount for them. I hope what we make will be compelling enough for them to pay for. But I can't give it away. People don't seem to understand that RoF engine is no longer what powers the Sturmovik. That's why we changed the name to Digital Warfare, it is completely different at this point. Going back to RoF to, say, enable VR, it's more work than retrofit old content and FMs,  They are trying to make it efficient, but it will take time of the money. Also, most work is done by third party that must be paid. 

If people buying RoF didn't support us then, 8 or more years ago,  we wouldn't be here today. I hope they take pride in the fact that they stuck by us, and I hope their years long investment was worthwile.

Q: Whaat is the first plane to be released for BoB?
A: Spit Mk IX, March-April 2019.

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#119 hq_Reflected

hq_Reflected

Posted 20 November 2017 - 13:28

I wonder if the RoF skins will work with FC as well or it will all go to waste?

#120 J2_Marx

J2_Marx
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 20 November 2017 - 16:22

Q: Net code improvements in BoX?
A: Not in a year or so.

What does netcode mean?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users