Photo
- - - - -

How To Upgrade Network Speed (If Possible)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RagWing1505

RagWing1505
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 14 November 2017 - 19:10

Hello again; I've been playing ROF in multiplayer mode a bit more often than my usual (I'm usually content to play in "Career" mode) & I have a question for the computer savvy: Is it possible to improve the I/o speed of the sim to better than 10 mb/s? (That's all I get in Network settings for now) If so, how? A lot of other M.P. pilots have stated that I have a bad "lag" & would like to remedy this, if I can... I welcome your input.

#2 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem
  • LocationR E S I G N E D 13/6/2018 veryuseful.info/rof

Posted 15 November 2017 - 17:30

Hello again; I've been playing ROF in multiplayer mode a bit more often than my usual (I'm usually content to play in "Career" mode) & I have a question for the computer savvy: Is it possible to improve the I/o speed of the sim to better than 10 mb/s? (That's all I get in Network settings for now) If so, how? A lot of other M.P. pilots have stated that I have a bad "lag" & would like to remedy this, if I can... I welcome your input.

Within the last hour you connected to my server with a ping of 619ms, which for your location is about ten times what I might expect. This is clearly a problem with your connection and nothing to do with game settings. The first thing to do is to check all plug/lead connections associated with the Internet. Then you should reset your router (that box with the blinky lights on it) by switching it off for a few seconds, either with the On/Off switch or just by disconnecting the power lead. Once powered-up again, it may take a couple of minutes before it restores Internet access.
If that doesn't fix things, you may need to bleat to your ISP.

#3 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 15 November 2017 - 17:51

Before you follow Arty's instructions I'd make sure there's no other strain on your connection, i.e. someone else in the house downloading stuff.

That would affect your gaming latency I believe.

:icon_e_salute:

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#4 RagWing1505

RagWing1505
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 15 November 2017 - 19:45

To Arty Effem; Been there, done that... It's true that I'm getting a much better ping than expected (glad of it, too!), I was just curious as to whether or not I need to do an uninstall/reinstall as I'm on satellite internet (HughesNet DSL) & my dish was relocated due to obstruction (i.e. trees). My signal has since then VASTLY improved, w/ a100 mb/s potential. My game install was done b-4 the relocation, so I wasn't sure if ROF detected the improvement. Thanx for your input!

#5 RagWing1505

RagWing1505
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 15 November 2017 - 19:52

To Zooropa_Fly; I'm the only downloader in our household (Wife= accounting & bill payment, Myself= gamer & home improvement). Please observe comment to Arty Effem for clarity & thanx for your input!

#6 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 15 November 2017 - 20:48

To Arty Effem; Been there, done that... It's true that I'm getting a much better ping than expected (glad of it, too!), I was just curious as to whether or not I need to do an uninstall/reinstall as I'm on satellite internet

Maybe you didn't understand; where ping is concerned the lower the figure the better. Due to the latency on satellite, this type of gaming is right out. How's your chess?

#7 RagWing1505

RagWing1505
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:17

To Arty_Effem; These comments would have been just fine w/o the condescension (i.e.-"that box with the blinky lights on it", adding "amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;" to my inquiry & lastly "How's your chess?"). I stand corrected on the ping issue, but to chastise a fellow player questioning about an issue to possibly be better educated is "taking the long way around of going about it". From here on, I'll welcome advice from those who AREN'T looking down their nose @ others... Enjoy your server w/o my participation, Oedipus.     :angry:

#8 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 16 November 2017 - 15:18

To Arty_Effem; These comments would have been just fine w/o the condescension (i.e.-"that box with the blinky lights on it", adding "amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;" to my inquiry & lastly "How's your chess?"). I stand corrected on the ping issue, but to chastise a fellow player questioning about an issue to possibly be better educated is "taking the long way around of going about it".

You'd be surprised how many people don't know what I'm talking about when I refer to their router, but I'm surprised you didn't know (or weren't warned) about the main disadvantage of satellite Internet. Looks like you'll have to wait until the speed of light gets an upgrade. Actually I think I read Google is working on it at the moment - or was that Starfleet Command?

#9 RagWing1505

RagWing1505
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:58

To Arty_Effem; Lol! I applaud your tact w/ your last reply! Sadly though, I'm pretty much stuck w/ satellite in my area until the demand for cable increases (probably NOT in my lifetime... bummer). No, I wasn't warned about the latency of satellite internet (but they wanted to sell us something, so negatives would most likely have crippled their rep... :D). Would've been nice to actually see aircraft being flown well, instead of warping all over the sky... S! :icon_e_salute: P.S.- Thanx for settin' me straight on how ping works. I get maybe 1- 1 1/2 hrs. GOOD service time, which I call "Magic Hour"- Only it happens about 2:00 am US EST 'til about 3:00-3:30 am... Ah, well- "Request Excellence, Receive Compromise".

#10 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:25

How much bandwidth does ROF take? Is ADSL still an option in this millennium? Would probably have better latency...?

#11 RagWing1505

RagWing1505
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 19 November 2017 - 18:00

To J2_Bidu; Thanx for the tip- I did the research on ADSL. 'Trouble is, we don't have landline service @ our household (all cellular). Maybe upgrade to Gen5? (We'd get about 5 more mb/s for almost the same $... I dunno).   :(

#12 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 19 November 2017 - 19:35

To Arty_Effem; Lol! I applaud your tact w/ your last reply! Sadly though, I'm pretty much stuck w/ satellite in my area until the demand for cable increases

I recorded your SE5 warping a couple of nights ago and you can watch a short clip here:

You'll understand that as a consequence and for the comfort of other players, your account has been suspended within my jurisdiction. Should you be able in future to furnish an acceptable connection, you may apply for reinstatement.

#13 RagWing1505

RagWing1505
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 19 November 2017 - 20:44

To Arty_Effem; Ugh, that sucks! It looks like how I view others in MP (sometimes, worse!)... Sigh- I guess I'll be flying career for now 'til a better, less latent solution comes along. Bye for now, & "Check Six!".   :)

#14 MakW

MakW
  • LocationZuidlaren The Netherlands

Posted 07 August 2018 - 17:08

I wonder ... what is acceptable as latency (what are values for minimum, maximum and average / median for PING?

My ping to US based servers is almost 100 mSec.

Shooting / aiming at opponents with 84 msec ping is that possible? What software decides where you are in 84 mSec.

Notice that @300 km/hour you move a lot in 84 msec.: 300000 in an hour makes 7 meters in 84msec.

With a plus and a minus added makes an aiming area 14x14 meters?

maybe the game uses a server clock to keep track of things (a.o. showing user ping in the UI).

and maybe also to predict (dead reckoning or other ideas) who is where, hitting what bullets ;)

but fact is that I am useless on a USA based server, even AI is difficult.

On a 10 mSec ping EU sever (French) I do shoot down AI OK and it happens I land without blood all over.

Summary: what ping time is GOOD, acceptable and rejecatable?

As always cu on a server, probably an EU server ;)

Marcel

#15 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 07 August 2018 - 19:05

I wonder ... what is acceptable as latency (what are values for minimum, maximum and average / median for PING?

My ping to US based servers is almost 100 mSec.

Shooting / aiming at opponents with 84 msec ping is that possible? What software decides where you are in 84 mSec.

Notice that @300 km/hour you move a lot in 84 msec.: 300000 in an hour makes 7 meters in 84msec.

With a plus and a minus added makes an aiming area 14x14 meters?

maybe the game uses a server clock to keep track of things (a.o. showing user ping in the UI).

and maybe also to predict (dead reckoning or other ideas) who is where, hitting what bullets ;)

but fact is that I am useless on a USA based server, even AI is difficult.

On a 10 mSec ping EU sever (French) I do shoot down AI OK and it happens I land without blood all over.

Summary: what ping time is GOOD, acceptable and rejecatable?

As always cu on a server, probably an EU server ;)

Marcel

What really matters is stutter / warping.

You can't solve ping mostly because it is distance related. You can improve your ping in some instances when your country lies on a new fiber optical cable to another country for example. Then you will improve your ping. For example, NZ and Australia has a new optical fiber to the west coast of US (crossing Hawaii). I bet all these regions got a substantial ping reduction in between them. Or perhaps your connection is too bad or too slow and you can gain a few ms if you do an update. I think I gained 15-20ms when I went from 10 to a 30mb connection. Now I have 60mb and the ping is the same. Comparing with other Brazilian players, I'm in the ballpark for my city (70ms one way to the US).

I always played with 100+ pings to the US and Europe (two ways, because the site https://rof.flying-barans.ru/only shows one way) and I'm not shady at all. When I'm in the mood to game the stats, I'm up there with the best scorers, many of them with 20-30 pings.

You just have to adapt and live with the fact that many times you will have to shoot a plane several times until you see any hits, even if you are aiming at the 'right spot', especially because it is a combination of your ping and the ping of the adversary. In other words, I don't think you can have 100% control of how things happen. Just go for it and always try to shoot from the six position (more like 5 or 7), as close as you can get.

I consider 100mn a decent number. Not the best, but totally playable. As I said, the worse is when you start to stutter or see people warping. If you see one person warping or stuttering, it is the person's connection. If you see everyone warping or stuttering, it is you, or then the server can't handle the traffic (too many players or too many objects in the mission or both combined).

Try to improve your connection if you can. Otherwise, don't worry and just go for it.

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#16 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 08 August 2018 - 04:52

Hi MakW,
As SeaW0lf says, a fairly high ping is still ok on good servers.

I'm in Asia and i've never had double-digit ping times. Usually it's 120 one way, or 240+ there and back to Wargrounds, as measured in game.
Not great! But so long as there's no warping, you keep your plane steady and get lots of shots on target, he'll go down just fine :)

Apparently there are gaming solutions that help you find the fastest connections to a particular server, but most seemed a bit pricey to me and were no guarantee of improving your experience.

BxlHM7Q.png                  HaO2aNP.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users