Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

A few Albatros D.III OEFFAG skins

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 FLIK60J

FLIK60J
  • LocationSomewhere 3000 m above the ground – or near Vienna.

Posted 26 October 2017 - 00:54

Most honourable Aviators!

When a short while ago the most unexpected skin pack 19 landed at our door mats I was thrilled – and shocked. For I had just finished my work on the Austro-Hungarian Albatros D.III (Oef) skins which I had almost one year ago announced in the thread about the Italian map by BaronVonMyakin. The game had seemed to be fully abandoned by the devs, which had made it highly unlikely, that any skin would ever be included in an official skin pack again. Yet, this also had made the provisioning of the text files and translations, which need to be delivered along with the skins, kind of obsolete. Well, I used the spare time for creating a few skins more – and now I ended up with 31 finished historical Austro-Hungarian Albatros skins, without text files. 

But I had set my mind on putting my skins out by Oct. 24th, to commemorate the centenary of the 12th Battle of the Isonzo. Which had put my under some pressure lately. Well, it seems to be an intrinsic pattern, that supplies for the k.u.k. Luftfahrtruppen arrive (too) late and incomplete; so, here is the list of the aeroplanes and skins I would like to share with you:

Fliegerkompanie 2D

AD3_153.95_Flik2D_Oblt.Losert.dds NEW!

Fliegerkompanie 3J

AD3_153.198_Flik3J_Navratil.dds

AD3_153.199_Flik3J_Foerster.dds

AD3_153.227_Flik3J_Kurtnecker.dds

AD3_253.05_Flik3J_Peter.dds

AD3_253.05_Flik3J_Peter_alternativ.dds

AD3_253.06_Flik3J_Navratil.dds

AD3_253.08_Flik3J_Stec.dds

AD3_253.08_Flik3J_Stec_alternativ.dds

AD3_253.09_Flik3J_Kopetzky.dds

AD3_253.09_Flik3J_Kopetzky_alternativ.dds

AD3_253.116_Flik3J_Navratil.dds

AD3_253.117_Flik3J_Stec.dds

AD3_253.117_Flik3J_Stec_alternativ.dds

Fliegerkompanie 41J

AD3_153.11_Flik41J_Linke-Crawford.dds

AD3_153.52_Flik41J_Brumowski.dds

Fliegerkompanie 42J

AD3_253.64_Flik42J_Hefty_Keisz.dds

Fliegerkompanie 51J

AD3_153.46_Flik51J_Boensch.dds

AD3_153.140_Flik51J_Boensch.dds

AD3_153.141_Flik51J_Rudorfer.dds

AD3_153.142_Flik51J_Fejes.dds

AD3_153.266_Flik51J_Josipovich.dds

AD3_253.31_Flik51J_Boensch.dds

Fliegerkompanie 55J

AD3_153.27_Flik55J_Georg_von_Kenzian.dds

AD3_153.47_Flik55J_Joszef_Kiss.dds

AD3_153.80_Flik55J_Arigi.dds

AD3_153.100_Flik55J_Munzar.dds

AD3_153.185_Flik55J_Josef_von_Maier.dds

AD3_153.159_Flik55J_Joszef_Kiss.dds NEW!

Fliegerkompanie 61J

AD3_153.106_Flik61J_Graeser.dds

AD3_153.110_Flik61J_Schrimpl.dds

AD3_153.119_Flik61J_Strohschneider.dds

AD3_153.145_Flik61J_Moerath.dds

AD_253.12_Flik61J_Hautzmayer.dds NEW!

I will provide some pictures of the skins and briefly explain my approach to re-modelling the German Albatros into the Austrian.

Attached File  Details.jpg   642.49KB   5 downloads   Attached File  flik3J.jpg   186.01KB   5 downloads  Attached File  flik55J.jpg   311.38KB   2 downloads  Attached File  flik41J_42J.jpg   429.44KB   1 downloads   Attached File  flik51J.jpg   314.91KB   1 downloads   Attached File  flik61J.jpg   192.73KB   1 downloads

#2 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:54

Creating historical austro-hungarian skins one quite immediately gets confronted with the sad fact, that sources are scarce. Sometimes one photography, that surfaces a tick too late can trash the work of weeks. And sometimes two images of the same aeroplane might lead to quite different conclusions concerning color, camo and condition. Too often sources are inconclusive, if not at all contradictory. Therefore I tried to be as historically accurate, as possible, where sources and evidence allowed for it. The following 6 details are to be mentioned:

1. Airscrew manufacturer: Most of the OEFFAG D.IIIs, that showed decals, had either Jaray, Knoller-Jaray or (at least in one case, that I found) Heiduk made airscrews. 
  2. Fuselage markings: Enough detailed information was available to create a font for the serial numbers (so that they are consistently stencilled onto the fuselages), as goes for the data table, OEFFAG logo and other markings, like the "Rumpfachse", engl. axis of fuselage.
  3. Reconstructed cross patée. The austrian version was more lean compared to it’s german counterpart. Plus some FLARs seemed to have their own style in attaching them onto the kites for which they were responsible. Where evidence allowed, individual versions were included.
  4. Unique OEFFAG look of the motor cowling, spinner, lower wing attachment metal parts.
  5. Additional engine air vents and Austro Daimler logo.
  6. Generic fuselage covers and lids. These differed quite a lot from the german Albatros. Unfortunately the foremost upper handle next to the data table, which was not attached on OEFFAG D.IIIs, is part of the 3D model and can not be removed by modifying normal map and alpha channel. Just pretend, it weren’t there. Yet, I recommend the normal map mod, I have made, to make the additional lids and covers really come to life.

What I need to adress separately is the rudder issue.

The OEFFAG rudder and stabilizer very much more similar to the D.II, than the german D.III, which was curved in a wider angle and more bulgy. Applying the Oef rudder in it’s correct place will not work, because at the upper rear part there will be no bone, to wrap the skin around; or, in other words: The 3model, is not high enough, to attach the rudder in full glory. This leaves us with only two ways to approach the re-dressing. First, one may move the OEFFAG rudder forward onto the stabilzer and shrink it by the extent of approx 8cm, thus maintaining the shape of the rudder, but breaking the curve at the gap between rudder and stabilizer. Or one could move the rudder forward until it intersects the wireframe of the german rudder, and adjust the curve from there to the stabilizer, getting a smoother curved outline, than the OEFFAG actually had, but preserving it’s tail end. I couldn’t bring myself to cut off pieces, so I voted for option number 2. I don NOT claim this be the best and only way to  apply the austrian rudder onto the german Albatros. It’s the one, that hurt me the least.

One word on colors.

Sadly, as well as nothing has survived either the war or the furor of the Interallied Commission afterwards. And sadly, eyewitnesses where asked to testify only decades, many, many decades later. Of course I have my copies of Dr. Martin O'Connors 3 parted writings about Austro-Hungarian Camo in WW I. But with all due respect, I – like many others – have my doubts about some of the colors he gives us for the kites of the Luftfahrtruppe. The view scraps of painted fabric have, with one exception, not been surveyed under modern scientific conditions. To draw any conclusions as for color grades, it would require more than scraping off some dust and a microscope; poor quality paint on poor quality fabric, exposed to wind and weather and enemy fire, then tucked away for a century. I will not enter discussions on hue or shades, for that is almost impossible, given the different screens involved. But for the rest, I again, do not claim to know what color a certain aeroplane had. I can only guess, just like all of us.

THE SKINS are HERE (65.97 MB, MediaFire)

Normal Map Mod (3.74 MB, MediaFire)

ReShade GFX post-processing

I recommend to use the normal map mod. It removes the wooden barrel like structure of the german Albatros in favour of the OEFFAG panelled front. It also adds depth to the fuselage covers and some depth to the metal step.

If you like one skin in particular, or maybe even more than one, please let me know. I will then provide the text file for it, which is required for polls and – maybe – including into a next skin pack.

Thank you for your interest!

p.s.: I have recently switched to the newest version of the ReShade gfx post-processor. It's a great, great tool to brush up the overall look of our goode olde Mme RoF. For those, who are using SweetFX, I will leave my old settings file attached.

Attached Files

#3 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:15

These look intriguing, and obviously you've invested a lot of work in these beauties.  As you note, the potential for never-ending arguments over camo colors for these Central birds is immense (and must be worse for the Austrian than the German birds, as there seems to be less hard information left about them) - one of the reasons that I eventually stopped doing German skins and focused on the Entente aircraft for my last several hundred skins.

Whenever I can tear myself away from BoS (flying that in VR is really intoxicating) I'd like to take a close look at these.  I'm particularly interested in what you have done with the various structural modification and the normal maps.  One question though - if you install the normal maps for use with these skins, does that mean that all the German versions will be "messed up" (made to look like Austrian models)?   Not necessarily a big problem if you take care in mission design to only have other Austrian-equipped units in the area, but just want to know if that would be necessary. (Seems like it probably would, but I haven't really messed with the normal map files in RoF so far.)

Anyway, thanks for sharing.  

[BTW - it might be better if you upload a .zip file for the skins rather than a .exe file - most AV programs seem to crap all over unknown .exe files being downloaded - oh, and McAfee hates your .zip file for the normal map - might be based on where you have it uploaded - maybe try putting it on MediaFire or some similar, more well-known file site.]

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:  RoF SPAM killer markings-27.jpg

#4 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:36

You are very kind! Thank you for your comment. Yes, you are right. I have spent a LOT of time on these beauties (I am honoured, sir). In fact, if hadn't forced myself to stop right now, I would be still working on them, brushing up this and that  detail and redo some all over – the normal madness of skin crazed mind. But this should not restrain anyone to hack them into pieces, if they deserved it. :icon_e_wink:

And of course you are right to assume, that the normal map will be applied to all D.IIIs, hence also the german ones. I have to say, that this is my first try at making such a map and it is the best I can offer with my limited skills at the moment. If anyone should know of a way to use both normals together, I would be very, very glad to learn, how. I had finished work a month ago, when suddenly, which had always failed for me, worked – the extraction of the additional .dds files, which also includes the normal map. The chance of maybe getting rid of the bow panel lines, putting the fuselage lids where they should be and cutting the tail off was too tempting. This worked fine, and so I repositioned the lids and covers (not the handles, which are part of the 3D model), which I had previously placed on top of the german ones. Using the german map will make them seem out of place – and vice versa. I was completely whoohooed, when I heard of the Italian map, that BaronVonMakin is working on. That might be a fine place for my OEFFAGs, if the german pilots might consider mounting an austrian aeroplane (which might be asking too much *nagnag*). Yet sadly, in technical terms it would still be the german Albatros, anyway.

And of course you are also right, that a simple zip file might have been the better option. I will add that as well. I have put the files on my own webspace. But I will look for a McAfee friendly alternative right now. Sorry for the inconveniances!

Thank you for hints and advice. I had planned to get in contact with you prior to putting my files out on the forum – but time had run out regarding my personal deadline. It would have been better to wait another day.

Salute! :icon_e_salute:

#5 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:12

They look awesome - great work! :icon_e_salute:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#6 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 26 October 2017 - 13:33

They look awesome - great work! :icon_e_salute:

Thank you very much! I would appreciate any feedback - even not-so-positive one, since this is the first time that I share skins and I am eager to learn, how they work on someone else's RoF setting.

Salute and Good Land!

#7 McMinstrel

McMinstrel
  • LocationAnn Arbor Michigan

Posted 27 October 2017 - 17:23

I'm impressed  :icon_e_salute: .  As a novice skinner and a model builder (way too much time since I retired), I've missed these.  

Perhaps Pat (sorry Pat) can add these to PWCG for the appropriate squadrons.  It would certainly add some dimension and color to the theaters.  I haven't looked in the zip; just at you're screen shots.  Did you include a time line for these units?  I can get a general idea from my books but it would be nice to verify when they served with their units.

Keep at it; you're getting good  :icon_e_smile: .

~M~

"If you're too busy to laugh; you're too busy."

#8 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 27 October 2017 - 22:06

I'm impressed  :icon_e_salute: .  As a novice skinner and a model builder (way too much time since I retired), I've missed these.  

Perhaps Pat (sorry Pat) can add these to PWCG for the appropriate squadrons.  It would certainly add some dimension and color to the theaters.  I haven't looked in the zip; just at you're screen shots.  Did you include a time line for these units?  I can get a general idea from my books but it would be nice to verify when they served with their units.

Keep at it; you're getting good  :icon_e_smile: .

~M~

Thank you for your kind feedback, McMinstrel! I hope you will not be too disappointed, if you ever might get to try out the skins in-game.

I very much regret to say, that i do not have a timeline ready at hand. The reason, why I had not included them right away, was that I simply didn‘t have the time to assemble the info files for 31 skins and their squadrons in time (i.e. before the 25th Oct).

But now that the skins are out here on the forum, I plan to provide the information about the skins, their pilots and the squadrons. I will have to do this in chunks, because it would take hours to put it all down in one posting. And a good friend of mine advised me, not to try my luck too much and overload the topic with text and my pseudo-historical gobbledygook ("people don't come here to read an encyclopaedia").

I will provide infos as I find time to post, but if you have any questions about a particular skin, pilot or squadron right now, please let me know. I will try to answer as quickly as I can.

Thank you very much for your interest and Salute!  :icon_e_salute:

#9 Danziger

Danziger
  • LocationSomewhere on the road.

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:12

These skins look amazing!

#10 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:17

These skins look amazing!

Thank you, SirTophamHatt! And…sorry, for having your avatar scraped off of my skins in favor of the austro-hungarian manufacturers’s logos.  :icon_lol:

#11 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 04 November 2017 - 22:56

The skins of FliK 3J – historical remarks

My skins of Fliegerkompanie 3J are based on photographs taken at Romagnano airfield, summer 1918. The unit had been formed in August 1914 at Aspern/Vienna, and served at the Russian front as D company (recon and ground support). FliK 3D arrived at the Italian front on March 22nd 1918, where it was based at Gardolo and at the same time converted and re-trained into a fighter unit, 3J. During summer 1918 the unit again was relocated to Romagnano airfield, where it entered operational service on June 28th 1918 under their new commander Oberleutnant (first lieutenant) Friedrich Navratil.

Fliegerkompanie 3J served until the armistice and was eventually disbanded at Innsbruck, Tyrol. Flik 3J had won 15 victories (of which 9 were credited to Oberleutnant Friedrich Navratil) on the Italian front, made 400 combat flights and lost 8 pilots, including 5 in combat operations. (In August 1918, Flik performed 161 combat flights and lost 4 pilots in a single combat action.)

Attached File  Romagnano01.jpg   347.87KB   0 downloads  Attached File  Romagnano02.jpg   227.34KB   0 downloads  Attached File  Romagnano03.jpg   232.11KB   0 downloads

The photos I referred to, show the Albatros D.III’s neatly lined up at he airfield. The different order implicates, that these pictures had been taken on at least 2 occasions. Sometimes Gardolo is given as the location, sometimes Romagnano. Comparing the environment, Gardolo appears less likely. Furthermore, the aeroplanes seem to have been painted green after their relocation to Romagnano.

153.198, Oblt. Navratil
The photo undoubtedly taken at Gardolo shows 153.198 in it’s factory finish, i.e. plain varnished plywood fuselage and natural linen wings. Quite different to it’s appearence on the line-up shot at Romagnano, summer 1918. It shows the overall green camo and the rhombus shaped personal marking. On 28th June 1918 Navratil shot down a SPAD over Zugna in this scout. The crash shown in the second photograph may have been the one on Oct 21st 1918, in which Navratil was seriously injured and ended his active service for the k.u.k. Luftfahrtruppen. 

Attached File  153.198-in-Gardolo.jpg   470.65KB   0 downloads  Attached File  153.198_crash.jpg   64.55KB   0 downloads

153.199, Stfw. Förster

The photos show, that obviously a different type of cross – the erroneous „fat cross“ – had been scraped off of the rudder, before the final and correct version of the cross was applied. This „fat cross“ can still be seen on 253.206, Navratil’s main scout. Research on Austro-Hungarian unit markings tell us, that the personal markings of FliK 3J were red. Photographic sources are inconclusive as to colours. So I tried a red version of the shamrock, quite against any other reconstructions.

Attached File  153.199.jpg   134.57KB   2 downloads

153.227, Fw. Kurtnecker

This nice 3-pointed star can be seen on the line-up shot and being rolled back to his hangar-tent. I have no further information about this Abatros.

253.05, Oblt. Peter

A symbol of gothic tracery, the so called „Zweipass“ or „Fischblase“, adorns the Albatros of the chief pilot of FliK3J, as it takes part in the line-up photo-shooting. It is also often referred to as yin-yang symbol, but that is due to the fact, that to modern eyes this connotation is more familiar.

This fighter arrived not before August 1918 at FliK 3J. It was one of 14 planes, that were equipped with the very peculiar sworl-camo – a printed fabric (more about this in my remarks on 253.64). The sources about the actual distribution of this fabric is incoherent. Some fighters were received as „White“ (i.e. plain finish)at the Flars (the technical support and repair base assigned to the company), but show this printed camo on fabric covered parts by the time they enter service at the front. And some, who – according to production sheets – should have been delivered with this unique camo, don’t show any trace of it. Confusing, even for scientific researchers. Unfortunately, the available photographs are very blurry, which makes it almost impossible to tell, wether a machine was delivered with or without the fabric and/or to what extend it had been applied. In these cases, I made two versions of the skin: One with the fabric-camo, and one without.

253.06, Oblt. Navratil

This scout was delivered to FliK3 by July 1918. It was one of two personal aeroplanes of Oblt. Navratil showing the distinctive heart&arrow marking. It was his prefered ride, on which he scored most of his victories (see the records at theaerodrome). It is often mistaken with his second scout, 253.116. The most obvious difference is the cross on the rudder. 253.06 shows the erroneous „fat cross“, which owes it’s existence to an incorrect interpretation of the description given of the new „Balkenkreuz“, which was to replace the former cross paté. It is clearly visible on the line-up photo taken at Romagnano.

Initially not included in volume I of my skins, I have added this skin now; I think, that some pilots might prefer the battle hardened, ugly, yet more successful fighter to the one with the correct cross and odd history.

Attached File  253.06.jpg   148.19KB   1 downloads

253.08, Oblt. Stec

This scout was originally assigned to Oblt. i.d.R. Stanislaus Maria Tomicki von Tomice. When the latter fell flying an other scout (153.173), Stec continued using this aerolane and his personal marking (the checkered board). Both of Stec’s personal insignia (the couchant „S“ of 253.117 and the checkered board) became insignia of the Polish airforce, of which Stec became one of it’s founding members.

Although not on the official list of Backhausen fabric camo fighters, it may appear later on pictures in Polish service with the sworled camo. Therefor I have included both versions.

253.09, Zgf. Kopetzky

This skin is based on a photograph, which shows the fighter in deplorable condition, ravaged and abandoned in it’s hangar sometime after the retreat of the Austrian army. Although it was one of the fighters officially delivered with the sworled camo, the photograph does not clearly show any sign of it. It might be, that the fabric had been painted over, because it was rather revealing than conceiling the machine. Anyway, the rudder appears to be lighter than the rest of the fuselage, which might indicate at least remnants of the sworls, and so I included both versions: The overall green splotches and the combination of splotched and fabric camo.

Attached File  253.09 Navratil Kopetzky.png   205.9KB   0 downloads

253.116, Oblt. Navratil

The second scout of the commander of FliK3J. It has the typical overall green splotches and the pierced heart & arrow marking. The cross on the rudder is the older cross paté version, which was to be replaced by the cross bars. But towards the end of the war – and the dual monarchy – the companies had other problems, then orderly replacing crosses.

With this Albatros, Zgsf Blaha flew to Schlieren, Switzerland, on the Nov 21st 1918 and later back to Czechoslovakia, Blaha’s home, where it was attached to the Czechoslovakian airforce. It was destroyed in a landing accident on Nov 3rd 1919.

Attached File  253.116.jpg   188.52KB   3 downloads

253.117, Oblt. Stec

This was the second of Stec’s personal fighters, bearing his generic „S“. Stec continued using this couchant S , then flipped horizontally, when he served in the Polish airforce.

The fighter was lost on Aug 18th 1918 in a fatal crash, flewn by Oblt. Ernst Herold von Stoda.

Attached File  253.117.jpg   255.46KB   0 downloads

#12 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:55

Fantastic. I have just down voted my own post by accidently touching the stars.

#13 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:59

I did the same only 3stars while I think this should be 5stars. How to correct this?
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#14 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:33

I did the same only 3stars while I think this should be 5stars. How to correct this?

Thank you very, very much for your vote, Dutch2! I was so excited to see one vote with 5 stars, and instantly wanted to see, who this kind voter was. So I thought by touching the stars I would get a list with all voters and their votes (I am afraid we are all too Amazon intoxicated), but instead it noted my (accidently) selected three stars. Strange, that I may vote for my own topic. I have no idea how to revert this mishap. But I am still very, very glad to have 4/5 stars, knowing that the lowest rating comes from myself.  :icon_e_smile:

#15 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 06 November 2017 - 18:53

The skins of FliK 55J – historical remarks

Fliegerkompanie 55J was formed in Straßhof/Austria by July 1917, as one of the earliest pure fighter squadrons, under the command of Josef von Maier. The squadron entered active service in August 1917 at the airfield of Haidenschaft at the Isonzo front. By end of October 1917 it was relocated to Pergine/South Tyrol, where it remained until the end of the war. 1917 it participated in the Battle of Caporetto and 1918 in the last offensive at the Piave. The unit performed so well, that it was credited the epithet „Kaiserstaffel“ („Emperor’s squadron“).

Attached File  183.185_153.159.jpg   116.46KB   0 downloads

Photographical evidence is sparse for these Albatros D.III’s. Quite odd, given the renown of the squadron and especially some of it’s personel (Kiss, Arigi). Research tells us, that the personal markings of the FliK55J pilots consisted of large, individual numbers in black and white. In his works on Austro-Hungarian markings and camo, Dr. Martin O’Connor reports of eyewitnesses and scraps of fabric, that would suggest a Bluish White underside, and a blue-green Greyish Turquoise top and side surfaces (see Cross&Cockade, Vol.19). Some had been layered with lighter and darker splashes of blue mottles, others had not. Yet, the colour codes he suggests for the blue-green surfaces appear to be much too bright and radiant for camoflaging purposes and compared to the few pictures we have.

Attached File  53.29.png   340.48KB   0 downloads  Attached File  153.15.png   260.3KB   0 downloads

Reconstructions on the internet are ranging from bright turquoise, over dark greyish-green to dull blue-green. After several different versions, I came up with a darker turquoise, than proposed, but still on the turquoise side of blue (I had also tried a more bluish version). Anyway, the different photos of different fighters show, that they had not been painted all alike; there where clear differences in darkness, hue and way of application of the paint.

The three main fighters again, those of v. Maier, Kiss and Arigi, show yet another type of camoflage. This plenitude of „almost similar“ camoflages, some might call it chaos, suggests, that the pilots still tried to come up with a perfect way to hide their aeroplanes from enemy sight, besides the officially applied types of camo.

153.27, Oblt. von Kenzian

His personal marking consisted of a large „2“ next to a pennant, which was given as blue and white. He scored at least 2 victories in this fighter (Nov 1917, see theaerodrome). 

Attached File  153.27_crash.png   187.31KB   1 downloads  Attached File  153.27_crash02.png   33.4KB   0 downloads

153.47, Lt. i.d.R. Kiss

Kiss’ number within the squadron was the „7“. He scored at least 4 victories in this fighter (see Kiss at theaerodrome). On this picture Kiss is seen with the crew of the R.E.8 (#A4445) of 42nd squadron, which he, along with v. Kenzian and Kasza, had brought down on Jan 12th 1918. In the background the large b/w „7“ is visible, not giving away much further details.

Attached File  153.47.jpg   18.1KB   0 downloads

Kiss scored also his final victory with this fighter on Jan 26th 1918, the day before he was shot down and seriously wounded.

153.80, Offstv. Arigi

I have no other visual source for this fighter, than a painting, shown at the HGM, Vienna. His personal markings show a large b/w „5“ and an even larger „X“.

Attached File  HGM_Poosch_BrentaGruppe_1917.jpg   344.77KB   0 downloads

Now, the positioning of this „X“, right at the sides of the pilot, is interesting. All reconstructions I have seen counter the positions of the two symbols, when shown on the left side of the plane (the painting shows the right side), so that the „5“ lands left of the „X“. This would mean, that the „5X“ actually has to mean something. But it doesn’t. Because the „X“ is not a letter, it is a big cross. It marks the pilot’s position in a youthfull, aggressive manner, challenging and moking his opponents; Arigi was the dual monarchies second best ace with 32 confirmed victories. That is why I have placed the „X“ right underneath the pilot’s position even on the left side of the fuselage.

153.100, Fw. Běhounek / Kpl. Munzar

„8“ was the personal identification of Fw. Běhounek. In this fighter Kpl. Munzar was forced to land after a dogfight with the Italian ace Silvio Scaroni on March 21st 1918. He was taken POW, deserted and joined the „Czechoslovakian Legion“ on Italian side. Another fighter with the number „8“ on the fuselage was 253.17. It crashed Dec 1917.

153.185, Hptm. von Maier

Since May 1918 this was v. Maier’s private fighter. Unlike many of FliK 55J’s scouts, his plane was neither turquoise nor bluish of any kind. It was rather blotched in hues of green and mustard yellow, sporting a large „1“ on the sides of the fuselage. The photo which shows it side by side with 153.159 on the airfield of Pergine does not reveal any further detail.

Attached File  153.185.jpg   140.04KB   0 downloads

153.159, Lt. i.d.R. Kiss

Sometimes this fighter is also given as 153.186. I decided to attribute the more commonly used serial number. This was the personal Albatros D.III of Kiss, before the squadron was step by step equipped with Phönix D.II fighters by the begin of 1918. His 153.159 can be seen on the nice group photos, which show the very distinctive medal marking and the spotted blotched paint. On the frontal shot the airscrew manufacturer’s decal (Jaray) is visible.

Attached File  153.159_Jaray_airscrew.jpg   28.87KB   0 downloads

The color proposed by Dr. Martin O’Connor again appears to be much too bright to serve as camoflage, and the reconstructions sport all kinds from light green to light brown in more dull hues. The first impression almost reflexively would suggest a light yellowish dull brown, but this is the case with many pictures of different planes. This needs to be understood in relation to the generic hue of the b/w pictures and carefully evaluated. Sometimes a photograph might quite undoubtedly suggest a certain color of the camo, but eye-witnesses report a completely different color and/or hue.

Attached Files

#16 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 13 November 2017 - 16:53

I have just realized, that I had failed to link to the updated skins package and normal map ZIPs (a slightly changed shape of the rudder + adjusted normal map). A minor lapsus, which has been corrected.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

S!

#17 Shutter

Shutter

Posted 10 January 2018 - 03:59

Hi FLIK60J,
I just tried to down load your outstanding skins but I received an "Invalid or Deleted File" error.
You you happen to have a new link?

Thanks for your time!

#18 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:04

Hi FLIK60J,
I just tried to down load your outstanding skins but I received an "Invalid or Deleted File" error.
You you happen to have a new link?

Thanks for your time!

Hello, Shutter!

I am very, very sorry! I must have forgotten to update the links after my last revision of the skins and the normal map. Thank you very much for giving me a buzz! I have updated the links now.

The skins are HERE - I swear. 

I hope you will like the skins Ingame. Any criticism is welcome! And if you get tired of flapping about in the Albatrosses, you may consider switching to some of their historical opponents, for which I have made some skins, too. These can be found here

Thank you for your kind remarks and for your time!

S!

#19 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 20 November 2018 - 18:06

Most honourable Aviators!

When a short while ago the most unexpected skin pack 19 landed at our door mats I was thrilled – and shocked. For I had just finished my work on the Austro-Hungarian Albatros D.III (Oef) skins which I had almost one year ago announced in the thread about the Italian map by BaronVonMyakin. The game had seemed to be fully abandoned by the devs, which had made it highly unlikely, that any skin would ever be included in an official skin pack again. Yet, this also had made the provisioning of the text files and translations, which need to be delivered along with the skins, kind of obsolete. Well, I used the spare time for creating a few skins more – and now I ended up with 31 finished historical Austro-Hungarian Albatros skins, without text files. 

But I had set my mind on putting my skins out by Oct. 24th, to commemorate the centenary of the 12th Battle of the Isonzo. Which had put my under some pressure lately. Well, it seems to be an intrinsic pattern, that supplies for the k.u.k. Luftfahrtruppen arrive (too) late and incomplete; so, here is the list of the aeroplanes and skins I would like to share with you:

Fliegerkompanie 2D

AD3_153.95_Flik2D_Oblt.Losert.dds NEW!

Fliegerkompanie 3J

AD3_153.198_Flik3J_Navratil.dds

AD3_153.199_Flik3J_Foerster.dds

AD3_153.227_Flik3J_Kurtnecker.dds

AD3_253.05_Flik3J_Peter.dds

AD3_253.05_Flik3J_Peter_alternativ.dds

AD3_253.06_Flik3J_Navratil.dds

AD3_253.08_Flik3J_Stec.dds

AD3_253.08_Flik3J_Stec_alternativ.dds

AD3_253.09_Flik3J_Kopetzky.dds

AD3_253.09_Flik3J_Kopetzky_alternativ.dds

AD3_253.116_Flik3J_Navratil.dds

AD3_253.117_Flik3J_Stec.dds

AD3_253.117_Flik3J_Stec_alternativ.dds

Fliegerkompanie 41J

AD3_153.11_Flik41J_Linke-Crawford.dds

AD3_153.52_Flik41J_Brumowski.dds

Fliegerkompanie 42J

AD3_253.64_Flik42J_Hefty_Keisz.dds

Fliegerkompanie 51J

AD3_153.46_Flik51J_Boensch.dds

AD3_153.140_Flik51J_Boensch.dds

AD3_153.141_Flik51J_Rudorfer.dds

AD3_153.142_Flik51J_Fejes.dds

AD3_153.266_Flik51J_Josipovich.dds

AD3_253.31_Flik51J_Boensch.dds

Fliegerkompanie 55J

AD3_153.27_Flik55J_Georg_von_Kenzian.dds

AD3_153.47_Flik55J_Joszef_Kiss.dds

AD3_153.80_Flik55J_Arigi.dds

AD3_153.100_Flik55J_Munzar.dds

AD3_153.185_Flik55J_Josef_von_Maier.dds

AD3_153.159_Flik55J_Joszef_Kiss.dds NEW!

Fliegerkompanie 61J

AD3_153.106_Flik61J_Graeser.dds

AD3_153.110_Flik61J_Schrimpl.dds

AD3_153.119_Flik61J_Strohschneider.dds

AD3_153.145_Flik61J_Moerath.dds

AD_253.12_Flik61J_Hautzmayer.dds NEW!

I will provide some pictures of the skins and briefly explain my approach to re-modelling the German Albatros into the Austrian.

attachicon.gifDetails.jpg   attachicon.gifflik3J.jpg  attachicon.gifflik55J.jpg  attachicon.gifflik41J_42J.jpg   attachicon.gifflik51J.jpg   attachicon.gifflik61J.jpg

UPDATE! 

Fliegerkompanie 55J

The cover of the book "Das fliegende Personal der k.u.k. Fliegerkompagnien im Ersten Weltkrieg" (Robert Veinfurter, ÖFH) which I had recently bought, shows a well known picture of the pilots of FliK 55J. Yet, the editors did not re-use an existing scan, but processed the image directly from the original. The result was a much more precise reproduction of the aeroplane´s camo, which made it possible and necessary to spend some extra time on this skin of 153.186/153.159 (can not be exactly defined), flown by Stfw. (Lt.i.d.R. posth.) Josef Kiss.

Attached File  Flik55J_Cover.png   320.25KB   0 downloads  Attached File  Albatros-DIII(Oef)-153.159.jpg   527.83KB   0 downloads

Fliegerkompanie 2D

A nicely mottled camo in combination with personal insignia made me kill some time while waiting for FC. The only photograph of this Albatros I could find dates from November 1917, at what time the name "RITTA", as shown on almost every drawing of this plane, had not been applied.

Attached File  Alb DIII(Oef) 153.95.jpg   223.28KB   0 downloads  Attached File  Albatros-DIII(Oef)-153.95.jpg   863.59KB   0 downloads

Fliegerkompanie 61J

This scout with the serial number 253.12 was used by Oblt. Hautzmayer, when FliK 61J was based at Ghirano, summer 1918. Unlike the other scouts, which were painted green, this plane fits more to the typical camo of FliK 41J (green/mustard yellow mottled upper sides, clear doped sides and undersides, personal markings on the left and right side of the fuselage). Maybe this can be explained by a remark in the unit´s file, which reads "currently transfered to Flik 41".

Attached File  Alb Oef 253.12.jpg   28.68KB   0 downloads  Attached File  Albatros-DIII(Oef)-253.12.jpg   700.26KB   0 downloads

The additional skins can be downloaded here (ZIP, 11.22 MB)

#20 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 November 2018 - 21:45

These are excellent skins!

If I may make one suggestion though, it's that your wood texture looks too large.

Liberator's Tutorials: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=438268482

tahhfk.jpg

#21 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 21 November 2018 - 13:17

These are excellent skins!

If I may make one suggestion though, it's that your wood texture looks too large.

Thank you very, very much for your kind feedback! And even more so, because in search for pictures of the plywood structure I found the one image of 153.95 ("RITTA"), turned over and out of business, but with the name attached to the fuselage (I knew I had seen it before!) and dark painted wheel covers. I will add this skin version as soon as possible.

As for the plywood. You may be absolutely right! My decision for sizing the wood and the panels the way they are, was based on the following consideration: While on the one hand, the superb Mayrhofer replica shows large, curved plywood structures, on the other hand the historical photographs don't reveal much of the true plywood (overexposing, aging, poor reproduction). Only those images of better quality allow for some Photoshop expeditions, fiddling around with adjustments. I found, that even those scouts, that seem to sport a pristine, almost uniform surface, reveal a rather spaciously curved plywood structure, that looks very much like the one used on Mayrhofer's Albatros. It is known, that the Oef D.IIIs had been made of fine craftsmenship, but towards the end of the war the common and progressing deterioration of the quality of the raw material made even the factory-finished, new kites look more and more shabby and just so roughly done. And last but not least, the very different look of the plywood of the Austro-Hungarian Albatros was one of the significant distinctive features compared to the German Albatrosses. So I (maybe over-) emphasized on this feature, as we unfortunately don't have the Oef version as a genuine plane in RoF (and I have no hope at all, that FC will fill this gap. We might get just another Nieuport and some endlessly boring Russian map no one needs).

I also may add a remark on Oblt. Losert, pilot of 153.95: Windsock Datafile 19, p. 9 (the overturned RITTA), assigns him to FliK 30. Yet a note on his staff-file, dated 12.12.1918, reads:"1.12.1916 BO bei Flik 11, dann Pilot bei Flik 9, 35, 47 und Kmdt bei Flik 2". This means, that by the time the pictures of 153.59 had been taken he was CO of Flik 2.

Thank you again and S!

2 pictures of the Mayrhofer replica:

Attached File  Albatros D III Stadtmuseum 059.jpg   78.21KB   0 downloads Attached File  Albatros D3 01.jpg   103.2KB   0 downloads

#22 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 21 November 2018 - 14:44

As announced in my reply to B24_LIBERATOR's post, I have found the picture of lovely RITTA, which allows me to add this version of Albatros D.III (Oef) 153.95.

Have fun and S!

Download (skin and preview) and expand to your RoF root folder (ZIP, 8.8 MB)

Attached File  153.95_RITTA.jpg   172.99KB   0 downloads Attached File  Albatros-DIII(Oef)-153.159_RITTA.jpg   637.44KB   0 downloads

#23 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 21 November 2018 - 17:18

It's more of the grain structure I was referring to, the texture itself isn't sized correctly. I'm not really sure how to word it...

Here's my D.III textures as an example of what I mean, see how much smaller the grain is?

Attached File  2018_4_12__22_2_52 copy.jpg   809.17KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2018_4_12__22_4_53 copy.jpg   1003.96KB   0 downloads

Other than the wood though, I really love the amount of research & detail you've put into these skins, they look fantastic!

tahhfk.jpg

#24 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:19

It's more of the grain structure I was referring to, the texture itself isn't sized correctly. I'm not really sure how to word it...

Here's my D.III textures as an example of what I mean, see how much smaller the grain is?

attachicon.gif2018_4_12__22_2_52 copy.jpg

attachicon.gif2018_4_12__22_4_53 copy.jpg

Other than the wood though, I really love the amount of research & detail you've put into these skins, they look fantastic!

Hi,

First of all: your D.III is one beautiful bird! Are there more?

And, yes, I actually did understand what you meant. It was me, who obviously could not explain, why I had sized the wood grain larger than you did. I simply think, that the material at disposition of OEFAG has had a larger scaled grain, because I "think" that this is, what I can see on some of the photographs. It is absolutely conceivable, that smaller grained plywood – like the one you have nailed onto your scout – had been used. But not after the allied blockade had made raw material of higher quality almost unobtainable. 

But what scares me more than anything else, is the amount of work I were up to, if I ever should decide to scale down the wood. But who knows. I have added the "Bei Standläufen Staublech verwenden" tag on the middle section of the upper wing on the new skins, which the bulk of the skins don’t have. Plus my Alb skins are D3 type .dds files, as recommended in the official manual. But during my later Camel jobs I learned, that D5 .dds files also work and are much more detailed. So, there would be a reason to export the OEF skins one more time. Hm…let me think…  :icon_cool:

#25 Dupxo7

Dupxo7

Posted 22 November 2018 - 16:33

Great skins FLIK! They should be in next official skinpack without a doubt. Official Austro-Hungary skins from earlier skinpacks are ugly - "pixelizated" markings and... big webpage address on beam in front of pilot (really...).

#26 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 22 November 2018 - 18:23

I made those textures as a template for people making Alby skins, since the default texture on the Albys is unrecognizable as wood.

Here's a link to the D.V & D.III templates if you want them:  http://www.mediafire...xtures.zip/file

I sharpen them after I flatten the image to make the details stand out a bit more.

Attached File  2018_4_14__0_17_40 copy.jpg   871.49KB   0 downloads

Attached File  2014_8_13__20_58_38 copy.jpg   354.2KB   0 downloads

tahhfk.jpg

#27 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 23 November 2018 - 16:42

I made those textures as a template for people making Alby skins, since the default texture on the Albys is unrecognizable as wood.

Here's a link to the D.V & D.III templates if you want them:  http://www.mediafire...xtures.zip/file

I sharpen them after I flatten the image to make the details stand out a bit more.

attachicon.gif2018_4_14__0_17_40 copy.jpg

attachicon.gif2014_8_13__20_58_38 copy.jpg

Alexa is beautiful! I like the dark blue and the letter-art. A fine bavarian-like D.V imho. "B" looks like an expensive petit four, almost too precious to take her to war. Yet, a pretty lady all the way! 

So, now that our conversation had me flicking through my files again I had another try on the wood grain. What do you think of this? I equipped Oblt. Franz Rudorfer's 153.141 with a new fuselage.

Attached File  153.141_a.jpg   389.02KB   0 downloads   Attached File  153.141_b.jpg   690.43KB   0 downloads

#28 A1_Phoenix

A1_Phoenix
  • LocationMilano, Italy

Posted 24 November 2018 - 00:12

well, it seems everyone has a different idea of plywood  :D

i'm not sure about correct size, but i've chosen a "reality perception" style: not sure if realistic but "looks good". At least, for me  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

i must say, nevertheless, that those Oeffag are EPIC!!!  :icon_eek:  :icon_eek:  :icon_eek: 

S!

A1

Attached Files

#29 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:09

well, it seems everyone has a different idea of plywood  :D

i'm not sure about correct size, but i've chosen a "reality perception" style: not sure if realistic but "looks good". At least, for me  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

i must say, nevertheless, that those Oeffag are EPIC!!!  :icon_eek:  :icon_eek:  :icon_eek: 

S!

A1

Hi, A1!

Oh, wow…epic…this is a super kind feedback! I can only return this, because the two skins of your’s are no less gorgeous. I like the wear & tear you added. 

I think, you have entered the one key argument to the question of wood grain: perception. Because my perception initially seems to have brought me to the larger wood grain sizes, very much like yours. The problem is, that I don't have one single photograph, that reveals clearly and crispy – without any photoshopping – the true look of the wooden panels. There is always a lot left to imagination and personal taste. Looking at your scouts I still think, that larger grains are still conceivable – they don't look wrong to me. Yet I have to admit, that the scaled down version from my test-skin and B24's skins seems more probeable from a technical point of view in relation to manufacturing techniques. Maybe.

As I mentioned before, there were some slight add-ons to be made, anyway. So, I might grab the opportunity and simultaneously add versions with a scaled down wood grain. Well, what better things would I have to do with my spare time, anyway.  ;)

S!

#30 FLIK60J

FLIK60J

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:41

Great skins FLIK! They should be in next official skinpack without a doubt. Official Austro-Hungary skins from earlier skinpacks are ugly - "pixelizated" markings and... big webpage address on beam in front of pilot (really...).

Hello Dupxo7,

thank you for your very kind feedback! Yet I don't believe, that there will be any official skinpack, anymore. Plus, there is no real Oef Albatros kite available and no real map, where Austro-Hungarian scouts might engage with Italian HD1 squads or some British Camels. And with FC in the making I seriously and sadly doubt, that BaronvonMyakins Italian map will be released ever.

I would still have to publish the skins over at the other historical skins forum, to have them ayed or nayed and provide all the required text files – quite a task, which I would be honoured to take on, but only if there'd be a realistically chance for an official skin pack. And as far as I know, FC will not roll out any Austrian or Italian aeroplanes, as well, which is a pitty, because there would be some very fine planes in the hangars (Lohner flying boats, Macchi, Caproni bombers etc).

Anyway, thank you for your lines and happy landings.

S!

#31 B24_LIBERATOR

B24_LIBERATOR
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 24 November 2018 - 16:06

I think your second one is better, but doesn't represent the Ash plywood that is proper for an Albatros.

Here are some excellent pictures of Vintage Aviator's D.Va.

http://thevintageavi...around?page=0,0

Attached File  albatros_dva_build-20090623-ammo-bins-2.jpg   95.62KB   0 downloads

Attached File  albatros_dva_build-20090624-fitting-landing-gear-mounts.jpg   101KB   0 downloads

Attached File  albatros_dva_build-20090720-paul-shellacking-tail-plane.jpg   99.67KB   0 downloads

Attached File  albatros_dva_build-20090727-paul-painting-artwork-on-fuze.jpg   103.74KB   0 downloads

Attached File  albatros_dva-walkaround-002.jpg   95.1KB   0 downloads

Attached File  albatros_dva-walkaround-047.jpg   115.87KB   0 downloads

Attached File  albatros_dva-walkaround-055.jpg   117.26KB   0 downloads

Attached File  albatros_dva-walkaround-073.jpg   108.63KB   0 downloads

Also, check some of these pictures out: http://www.wingnutwi...ductid=29&cat=1

:icon_e_salute:

tahhfk.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users