Very stupid newbie question: path from SP to Multi step by step

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 leslav

leslav
  • LocationPoland Krakow

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:48

Hi pilots!

My question is what should I be able to do to be able to start flights in Multi? I am total newbie, set custom realistic to total noob, I know it is v.early stage of advanture with RoF, I want to practice and learn by myself before going to Multi mode (dont want to be a pigeon), I have good joystick, soon will have freetrack, still need help with settings - what are minimal realisic settings that actually learn to fly, and how to practice in SP mode ??

Thanks,

L

#2 Oliver88

Oliver88

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:13

The Fly Now series in Missions are good for practice in SP, as you start on the ground, there are ground and airborne targets dotted around, and missions are the same for each aircraft. I would think (and was the criteria I used too) that you are good to go as long as you know your controls assignments, and can get airborne, and can land, and know how to use your radiator and mixture. And to be honest should you know that then your probably further than most new people that I've tended to see popping onto the servers these last two weeks. 

#3 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:29

Remember that on multiplayer there is an in-game chat. You press RETURN to start typing. YOu finish your typing with RETURN again, if you want to talk to everyone , or with CTRL+RETURN if you mean it just for your team.

Two more things if you plan on flying on an ICONS OFF server, such as Wargrounds or Syndicate: you should also make sure that you can distinguish friendly planes from enemy planes so that you don't become one more of the blokes attacking everyone in sight. Also, you must be prepared to gather your own food, that is, not just asking "Where is everybody?!". Figure out your position on the map by observing landmarks, etc.

Welcome and good luck!

#4 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:48

Salute leslav, and welcome!

Check out this article I wrote. It is meant to help give a few tips to new multiplayer pilots:
https://riseofflight...er-some-advice/

Hope some of it helps! :icon_e_salute:
- HotleadColdfeet (JG1_Hotlead_J10 online)

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

fcpq25c.jpg

#5 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 13 October 2017 - 17:52

Hi Leslav,

There's some very good advice given by the other posters.

A few thoughts I might add, from a piloting and server owner's perspective.

1> You start with three free scouts - N17-RUS and SPAD XIII on the Entente side, and the Albatros DVa on the Central side. Unlike what you may have read elsewhere, RoF is not "pay-to-win". Both the SPAD and the Albie are among the top planes in the game, and in its proper time period, the N17 is also quite capable (although much trickier to learn to fly).

For these planes, you also get the various engine gauges and mods as well. All the time you can spend mastering these birds (particularly the SPAD and Albie) will return great dividends. The SP Fly Now missions are great for that, and even some time spent in "Career Mode" will help you. Also, you can still get some MP time in during that process -- New Wings Basic Training server is non-pvp (the only one, in fact), and it has various targets that you can practice bombing or dogfighting against, to continue improving your knowledge and skill.

If you're planning to join the pvp MP servers, you'll want to make sure you are familiar with the manually controlling mixture and radiator as well -- the expert servers will require you to manage those yourself, and if you learn those, you'll avoid the Number 1 problem in MP -- "How do I start my engine???". In those servers, it takes more than simply pressing "e". ;)

Also, if you're going to jump into another player's 2-seater or bomber, good etiquette is to ask him first, and make sure you know the keys to work the turret properly -- it is possible to shoot your own plane down, and that is a *huge* No-No (see FF, below).

2> In icons-off servers, the next two key problems are: navigation and identification.

On the ground, the map will show the familiar triangle denoting your plane. Once airborne however, that disappears, and it's up to you to figure out where you are and where you need to go, using standard pilotage techniques (ie. visually seeing landmarks, forests, towns, rivers, etc.) and reconciling those with your map. That takes some practice, and again, Fly Now, Career, and our BT server can help you.

The second half is identification. It's easy to assume (or not care) that the plane you can see is an enemy. Many times it is not. SO, be sure you *know* whether that guy is a friendly, or an adversary. It's very important to your team and wingmates to get that right.

Further, there are only two (common) ways to be banned from a server. The #1 way is to shoot down a bunch of friendlies, and the second way is to use the chat function to harass, troll, and swear at folks.

By far, Friendly Fire (FF) is the main reason that server bans get set. Now, before you get *too* concerned about that, accidents do happen, even among our most experienced pilots, and everyone understands that, particularly in multi-plane furballs. If you DO make an FF mistake, own up to it, apologize, and try to improve. An isolated incident is usually not a big concern, but a pattern of repeated FF incidents is a problem.

Unfortunately, seeing airplanes without icons on is a skill. It will seem completely impossible at first, and it will take quite a bit of time to develop it. To help, set your Zoom keys to something easy to use (mine are on my joystick, for instance). You'll be making repeated use of them often. Also, while you're practicing in Fly Now, Career, and/or BT server, use the icons to find a target, and then try turning them off while still visually tracking him -- over time that will help you see them easier, and over time, you'll also start learning how to ID the plane by shape, and various visual features -- again, it takes plenty of time and practice.

3> Finally, don't be shy about just leaping into a MP environment. If you've been working on the previous points, you'll be well ahead of the newbie curve, and you'll find that most folks are quite friendly and willing to help. Expect to die -- a lot!

Typically, even experienced pilots get killed every few sorties (depending on what you're doing). A death rate of 1 death per 4 sorties is pretty good - 1/2 is not unusual. Pilots that fare better than that are typically in a group, often on teamspeak, and typically using more conservative attack strategies (nothing wrong with any of that btw -- it's just a different combat style).

In the real war, the life expectancy of the average pilot was typically just a few days, and many didn't live past their first or second sortie. In the expert servers, it's every bit as severe (except that you get to re-fly again right away). ;) Accepting death as a "learning experience" with a jaunty S! (salute) and a thick skin will go a long way towards having fun rather than frustration.

Speaking of chat, getting a headset / mic and using TeamSpeak is a very good way to: a> speed up the learning curve b> meet other pilots and squadrons c> enhance the MP experience.

That's a lot of info -- I hope you find it helpful. Welcome to RoF!

Cheers,
4 :icon_e_salute:

#6 TheBlackFalcon

TheBlackFalcon
  • LocationMineola, NY USA

Posted 14 October 2017 - 17:15

Hi Leslav...

I host the training server for the US103rd Aero Squadron.

If you would like some flight lessons, I would be more than happy to bring the sever up for you and provide them at a time convenient to you.  I am in the States on Eastern Standard Time (EST).

We'll use the 103rd's Team Speak server for communications.

We'll go over some ground schooling, which will detail the various controls and instruments in the plane and then we'll move on to take offs and landings, which usually takes around six weeks of training and practice to get competent with.  This is especially true of such planes as the German Halberstadt two-seater, light-bomber.

For training, I always use the Pfalz D.III since it is in my view the gentlest of the all the planes available for sim-pilots in ROF.  If you don't own this plane, I will gift it to you.  As you progress, if you want to go through the full course, we will later change to the Spad VII or SE5a, either of which are the nicest of the Allied planes to fly.

Let me know...  :icon_e_smile:

Black Falcon

#7 leslav

leslav
  • LocationPoland Krakow

Posted 15 October 2017 - 00:22

Hi team,

Thanks for warm welcome and all advices. Now I am on Engaging ground targets learing mission form Learn to Fly campain and this one is reallly tough :/ I dont know how many times I tried to pass this one without a success  :icon_boring: I cannot even imagine how hard is to destroy such targets without those helping crosses, same for bombing. It will be long autumn and loong winter  :icon_e_sad:

#8 leslav

leslav
  • LocationPoland Krakow

Posted 15 October 2017 - 00:46

@TheBlacFalcon - I've sent you priv message

#9 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:42

Hi team,

Thanks for warm welcome and all advices. Now I am on Engaging ground targets learing mission form Learn to Fly campain and this one is reallly tough :/ I dont know how many times I tried to pass this one without a success  :icon_boring: I cannot even imagine how hard is to destroy such targets without those helping crosses, same for bombing. It will be long autumn and loong winter  :icon_e_sad:

That mission is notionally difficult. In fact, I never got past it myself when I started. Just don't worry about it. Start practicing in Quick Mission and then branch into multiplayer or single player. ;)

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

fcpq25c.jpg

#10 leslav

leslav
  • LocationPoland Krakow

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:09

That mission is notionally difficult. In fact, I never got past it myself when I started. Just don't worry about it. Start practicing in Quick Mission and then branch into multiplayer or single player. ;)

I think one of key success factor is a matter of propper joystick respons settings, I can get two tracks destroyed but bombing tanks is something I cannot succseed yet. I belive that smooth joystick response setting will improve gunnery a lot. I am using Trustmaster T.16000M and I know this is superb joystick, just need to figure out how to set it in RoF. I have switched to standard realistic to not learn shooting with handicups. I set my view to zoomed in sight and this helped me a lot. BTW can someone expalin me what is a differece between LeChretien and Aldis? Dont know which one to use..

#11 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 October 2017 - 13:19

The Aldis is a British telescopic sight with a tiny circle in the center to help with aiming. The Le Chretien is a French telescopic sight with a tiny + symbol in the center to help with aiming. Honestly, other than that, I think they are identical in function. Usually, I use the Aldis, but sometimes for fun, I'll throw the Le Chretien on. ;)

fcpq25c.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users