* * * * * 2 votes

Join the US 103rd and JG1 for a Flyin on Thursday Evenings

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#161 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:07

Hey guys! Had a good time as always on Wargrounds this evening! Here is the archived livestream:

Had a near-death experience with a certain Dolphin pilot near the end of the stream. Salute to the pilot - he demonstrated amazing proficiency in the ensuing fracas!

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#162 US103_Hobbs

US103_Hobbs

Posted 16 February 2018 - 17:23

Yeah great fun as usual!  We gotta figure out a way to beat those Fokker VII F-mobiles, gets old trying to run away!  Hotlead has a special killboard just for old Hobbo... :icon_e_salute: 

#163 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 16 February 2018 - 18:58

Yeah great fun as usual!  We gotta figure out a way to beat those Fokker VII F-mobiles, gets old trying to run away!  Hotlead has a special killboard just for old Hobbo... :icon_e_salute:

Well, brother, you need to fly something that will fight back, spad won't help my friend. Se5 is even better at a fight than those things. If you really want the spad to take 1 with a bunch of bristols. Or if you really want to take down the D7f's grab the camels, the real pilot's fighter and beat the crap out of them, if you're in bunches they'll come down. :icon_e_salute: 

#164 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 February 2018 - 19:56

Sorry man - not trying to pick on you in particular lol! Just looks like we keep crossing paths.  :icon_mad:

I have a few thoughts on how you could improve as a SPAD pilot based on our last few engagements. If you'd like, I can break those engagements down and share my thoughts here. I'm all for having more skilled opponents on both sides. Keeps the game alive.   :icon_e_salute:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#165 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted 16 February 2018 - 21:48

103's, I'm more than willing to go in a server and jump in a d7f and have you guys attack me, use me as a training partner. Only problem is going against a squad like the JG1's is a bit different, their in hunting packs. Best just to avoid them while in a spad unless your in a large group, But if you get a lone or even a pair of d7's you can beat them with a good wing man. all about the training my man.

#166 xvii-Dietrich

xvii-Dietrich
  • LocationFinland

Posted 16 February 2018 - 23:08

Just a note to say that I joined in the "US103/JG1 Event" last night and had a great time. The timezone meant it practically killed me today, but it was worth it. :-D

As the maps had no W.12 seaplane, I flew Entente for a change, taking some planes I've simply never flown before. The DH4 was nice; like a heavy-duty DFW. The Dolphin however...

I had one moment of glory on the Carpathian map (I took out the river-barge target with the drop of a single bomb), but otherwise mostly flew about wildly being shot at.

But it was all really good fun.

Thank you organisers!

#167 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 February 2018 - 23:25

Just a note to say that I joined in the "US103/JG1 Event" last night and had a great time. The timezone meant it practically killed me today, but it was worth it. :-D

As the maps had no W.12 seaplane, I flew Entente for a change, taking some planes I've simply never flown before. The DH4 was nice; like a heavy-duty DFW. The Dolphin however...

I had one moment of glory on the Carpathian map (I took out the river-barge target with the drop of a single bomb), but otherwise mostly flew about wildly being shot at.

But it was all really good fun.

Thank you organisers!

Thrilled you had a great time! So you're the Allied daredevil who knocked out our barge, eh? The one carrying fresh bier to our aerodrome? Our boys have yet to recover from that blow.  :icon_lol:

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#168 J2_Wulfe

J2_Wulfe

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:05

Despite internet trouble meaning I could only fly one sortie, I still had a fun time! I managed to get on comms with US103_Hunter as well, which was awesome! 

103's, I'm more than willing to go in a server and jump in a d7f and have you guys attack me, use me as a training partner. 

Cool of you to offer, Graham! I'd be up for dropping into some of US103's Monday training sessions as well if you guys ever need a Central pilot to train with  ;)

4WPquDr.png

#169 US103_Hobbs

US103_Hobbs

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:24

Niz guys, the reason we're still having fun here, good folks with good intentions!  Us 103rd 'Mercan's are pretty determined to succeed with the SPAD...that's our historic ride.  I didn't mean to sound 'complainy' just stating that ours has been a tough row to hoe.  But we enjoy it immensely!!  And there are certainly no hard feelings ever.  Cheers Gentlemen!

#170 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:27

Would be fantastic to hear your feedback Hotlead, if you have the time. S!

Fwiw Split-S works most of the time for me in SE5a, hopefully will in Spads too.
Historically accurate and ROF effective. None of the central aircraft can keep up or have solid enough engines and wings.

I notice JG1 usually won't follow as they like to play a longer game. Others that do follow lose positional and alt-throttle advantage and put their airframes at risk if they've had any battle damage. (As per Idflieg video)

"Gathering his pilots around him on arrival he gave a pep talk, saying that they were equipped with the finest machine of all time and had three battle-experienced flight commanders. He expected every one of them to fight like hell and that it must never be said that any of them ever failed to go to the aid of a comrade, regardless of the cost, and that no patrol was ever to be late in taking off."

Major Keith 'Grid' Caldwell, 74 Sq

#171 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:28

Cool of you to offer, Graham! I'd be up for dropping into some of US103's Monday training sessions as well if you guys ever need a Central pilot to train with  ;)

I could too this coming Monday! Usually my Mondays are busy with other ROF things, but this week I’m shaking things up a bit. If you’d like, we could set up some practice engagements and then debrief. For instance, Graham, Wulfe, and myself could spar with a flight of US103rd, debrief, and then both sides switch planes. (I’ve found flying my opponent’s plane gives me an edge in combat. It helps me better understand what he is capable of.)

If this sounds cool, just let me know what server and Teamspeak. Or if you don’t want something so formal, we can just fly against (or with) each other on NFF for giggles.

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#172 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:29

Would be fantastic to hear your feedback Hotlead, if you have the time. S!
Fwiw Split-S works most of the time for me.
Historically accurate and ROF effective. None of the central aircraft can keep up or have solid enough engines and wings.
I notice JG1 usually won't follow as they like to play a longer game. Others that do follow lose positional and alt-throttle advantage and put their airframes at risk if they've had any battle damage. (As per Idflieg video)

Spot-on about the split-S. We Huns have serious trouble following anything in a steep dive. I’ll post my thoughts tomorrow or Sunday, as I have time. :)

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#173 US103_Hunter

US103_Hunter
  • LocationOver The Front!

Posted 18 February 2018 - 22:15

The only way to engage d7s in a spad is from above or in pairs. Ask Furlow how it’s done. Altitude and good shooting are the best allies. Teamwork and communication are top priorities as well. The only thing you can do better then a D7f is dive and that is only marginal. It’s a tough nut to crack.

103rd%20forum%20sig.jpg

#174 SeaW0lf

SeaW0lf
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted Yesterday, 03:44

Teamwork and communication are top priorities as well.

You mean teamspeak?

"There will be honor enough for us all."

#175 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted Yesterday, 04:58

Ok, here are my thoughts regarding one of our last engagements, Hobbs. Please don’t think that I am the end-all-be-all expert; I still have a lot to learn! That being said, however, I do have experience fighting SPAD pilots and I have a pretty good idea of some things I like my opponents to do when I fight them, and what I don’t like them to do. Ok…let’s get started!

Scenario: Pfalz D.XII vs 3 SPAD 13s
Twitch highlight: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/229390276
  • Starting at the 2:20 mark, I see a flight of 3 US103rd deep in our territory coming into the airspace of one of our fighter airfields.
  • I see that I am outnumbered, so I turn away and climb a bit starting at the 3:48 mark.
  • Starting at the 4:38 mark, Hobbs and one other SPAD dive in on a lower target, leaving Parsons as top cover. In and of itself, that is a pretty good idea. I just think Parsons assumed he was the highest plane in the area, and thus was looking down on Hobbs and the other SPAD, making sure they were not bounced. Accordingly, he didn’t look to see if he was getting bounced, and I had an easy pass on him at the 5:09 mark.
  • After shooting down the top cover, my first priority is to scan the sky at my level and above me. I know that I am particularly vulnerable to being bounced just after a successful attack, and so I work to re-establish my situational awareness quickly.
  • Seeing no one who can be a threat to me, I then turn my attention downward to the other SPADs below me. They are embroiled in a fight on the deck with JG1_Kliegmann (a squadmate) who is flying an Albatros. (Maybe others too. I don’t know at this point.)
  • I descend and prepare to bounce one of the SPADs. At this point, I make a mistake: I see one SPAD at the 7:34 mark and immediately move to attack it without checking for his wingman. I am unpleasantly surprised at the 7:43 mark as the wingman (Hobbs) flashes across my vision. Now, I am in a low-level fight against 2 SPADs – not good!
  • Judging by the angle Hobbs came in on me, I could tell that he would initially overshoot and that – momentarily at least – I would be free to continue shooting the other SPAD. So, I continued my right turn and took shots at my original target.
  • At the 7:51 marker, my target levels out and starts a left turn instead. This is a good idea, as if I followed him while Hobbs kept his right turn, I would be dragged across Hobbs’ gunsights.
  • I hesitate for a second but then let my original target go and pull into a hard right again at 7:56. The SPAD and D.XII have fairly comparable turn rates, so if I had hesitated a second longer, Hobbs would have been squarely on my six.
  • I wait until the paths of our trajectories bring Hobbs closer to me, and then I switch directions, trying to force an overshoot at 8:01. The first reversal brings him closer to me, but fails to make him overshoot, so I reverse again at 8:08. I continue reversing back and forth until Hobbs briefly flies in front of me at 8:13. Envisioning in my mind a straight line (like a pencil) sticking out in front of Hobbs’ plane, I pull the trigger to fire on that line a half-second before he actually arrives. I score hits, and judging by the intermittent smoke seen later, I think I may have hit his engine. (Note: In my opinion, snap shots to the fuselage where an enemy perpendicular to you flies into your shots are very good for oiling his engine and/or wounding the pilot.)
  • Rather than hauling back on the stick to try and follow Hobbs after he crossed my path, I nudged my stick forward and let gravity pull me into the left turn I already had initiated. Good thing too – I look behind me at 8:18 to see the other SPAD turning left – trying to get on my tail. I continue my left and pull it a little tighter.
  • At 8:22, I can clearly see both SPADS close to each other in a left hand turn. This is where things really went in my favor. I love it when I can see both my enemies and when they are flying the same direction. In that way, I can treat a 2 ship formation as if it was only 1 single plane. This is something to avoid if flying as a pair, as it negates your numerical advantage. If instead, the other SPAD had broken right, extended a little bit, climbed, and then come back in on me while Hobbs kept me busy, I would have been in a very tight place.
  • By the time the rear SPAD finally broke away from the left turn at 8:43, it was too late. I had a good position on Hobbs and the other SPAD wouldn’t have enough time to turn around and come back on me before I did serious damage to Hobbs.
  • At 8:47, I fire another snap shot into Hobbs’ forward fuselage. He immediately reverses. The idea was good, only the timing was off. IMHO, he should have reversed a second or so earlier, forcing me to overshoot and miss a snap shot. Also, as he reverses into a right hand turn, Hobbs did not pull it very tight and even slightly leveled out at 8:55. This gave me another snap shot. If he had used gravity to pull into a tighter, downward-angled turn to the right, I might not have gotten that second snap shot off. This would have also made me overshoot, forcing me on the defensive again from 2 SPADs.
  • At 9:01, Hobbs reverses again, but the damage has been done. Probably from structural damage and flying the SPAD at near-stall speed, Hobbs spins into the ground. The trick to avoid this is to learn how to remain energy-efficient while in a scissors. At its best, a scissoring pilot should only enter a stall such as the one here when he wants to. At all other points, the trick is to keep just enough energy to recover and repeat the maneuver until the enemy overshoots. Kinda like learning to balance a bucket of water on your head. (I can’t do it, but I’ve heard it gets easier until it is second-nature if you practice it! :lol: ) Like that, the trick is to keep up a sustained scissors without “spilling and wasting” extra energy that you don’t want to. (Kinda rambling on here, but I hope it makes some sense. :P)
  • Following that, I simply continue to fight for a neutral position where neither the remaining SPAD nor I has a shot until the cavalry (JG1_Vikner) arrives to help me. Once he comes, it falls into a standard 2 v 1 engagement.

OK, so in conclusion, here are some possible takeaways I see:
  • Know your situation. When flying deep in enemy lines near an active aerodrome, everyone’s senses should be on high alert. Assume the area is crawling with bandits. Usually, you won’t be wrong! Second, when over enemy lines, be twice as leery of diving down to engage an enemy on the deck. Especially near an active aerodrome where new foes can spawn in at any second.
  • That being the case, it might have been a better idea to either wait for the initial bandit you dived on to climb up a bit more, or to dive on him and then climb back up instead of getting embroiled in a fight on the deck. Those situations do no favors to the SPAD 13.
  • Once the fight was on the deck and you were engaging me, I could tell both pilots were thinking mainly about themselves instead of the team as a whole. There were two planes to my one, but the two were mainly out of sync with each other, allowing me to take them apart one at a time. Never was I dealing with more than one aircraft at a time. I was only ever shooting at one or dodging one. The other SPAD during these instances was always a no-factor to me.
  • One thing that probably would have worked is for the targeted SPAD to fight for a neutral position where I couldn’t shoot at him. While he was doing that, the other SPAD could extend away a tiny distance, come around with a bit more height, and take a shot at me. As soon as I sensed I was getting shot, I would probably break off the initial SPAD and try to make my attacker overshoot. As soon as I broke off my target, the targeted bandit would wheel around and try to take a shot at me while the other SPAD extended away to regain energy. By the time the original target SPAD was finished pressing me, the one who extended could be back in on me again and shooting. Etc.
  • It all comes down to this: communication, communication, communication! Talk to your partner, read what he’s doing, read what the bandit is doing, and react accordingly.
Hope some of this makes sense. And I hope this didn’t come out as me patronizing you guys. You are good pilots – MUCH better than I was when I started. All this stuff I learned in the school of hard knocks over the years, and I’d like to share what I’ve learned with you.
I’ll see about breaking down further engagements when I have more time. Salute! :icon_e_salute:
- Hotlead

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#176 O_Rod

O_Rod
  • LocationAustralia

Posted Yesterday, 05:09

Can anyone translate the time into Kilo or Lima time for us Antipodeans!

Vitae elit Brevior

#177 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted Yesterday, 08:59

Spot-on about the split-S. We Huns have serious trouble following anything in a steep dive. I’ll post my thoughts tomorrow or Sunday, as I have time. :)

It is usually the penalty for having a high lift-ratio.

Nice debrief!

Cheers.

#178 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted Yesterday, 18:21

Like O_Rod asked, what time do you have your Monday training. I'll try to make it. Probably NFF would be a good place to start. An empty one if all posable.

Watching Hot's video made me notice something that the 103's do often and Hotlead has mentioned, being in a spad I would not have stayed over the airfield like that. Best thing to do is watch your target and wait for him to leave the area. But in this case, you have been spotted long ago with all that flak. I would have bugged out of the area. If you really needed to bounce that alb then 1 pass each and head the hell out of there. If you don't get him you don't get him,

Also, you need more wingmen when crossing the lines and into the danger zone. Remember when JG1's are up there, they're in numbers.

They are the biggest squad at the moment are they not?

#179 J2_PikeStance

J2_PikeStance
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted Yesterday, 18:47

Times generally are given in either UTC or GMT. They are essentially the same. It is the time in London. Lima is in -5. So if someone states that a game will start at UTC 1900. then simply subtract 5 hours. In Lima time, it will start at 1400 UTC/GMT. If you are in Australia, then you are in +10. You add 10 hours to the time. This gives up 2900. Oops. There are only 24 hours. Here we subtract 2400 from 2900 and the time is 0500. When we do that and we are going east.then you add a day. So, if it is 1900 UTC on Thursday, then in Australia it is 0500 UTC Friday. 

It gets a little tricky depending if your location or follows are not follows DST. 

Signature_Jasta2_addition3.png

#180 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted Yesterday, 18:53

The Thursday night fly in starts at 1pm Melbourne time. ;)

Like O_Rod asked, what time do you have your Monday training. I'll try to make it. Probably NFF would be a good place to start. An empty one if all posable.

I think the US103rd starts their Monday practice at 8pm Eastern time. I can't be available until 9pm Eastern, so that's when I'll drop by. Unless I hear otherwise, I assume we'll meet on New Wings teamspeak, in the US103 channel. Also, I assume we'll end up using NFF unless we can find another server. 

I don't think this "sparring session" will be a frequent thing like our Thursday night fly ins. I'm usually busy on Mondays. ;) But I do think it could be a really useful tool to help everyone sharpen their skills. I'm actually looking forward to it! :D 

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#181 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted Yesterday, 22:42

I agree on the sharpening our combat skills would be great. Having a server for that will be tuff. NFF is good but once it starts to fill it'll become a free for all. NW training grounds would be good but going against ai is not a lot of help. Maybe for a new pilot. What we really need also are good wing leaders, Not so much the lone hunters. Hotlead is a good one, Too bad FigelGT do not fly much, He is probably one of the best. I'm not bad at anything but the spad, But I'm not great in anything but the camel and DR1. I'd be best as the target, have the most experience at that.

#182 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationRyabinki

Posted Yesterday, 23:38

None of my business really, Hotlead and PikeStance, but did either of you actually bother to consult with some of the 103 guys before inviting Grahamshear to their practice session?   (A rhetorical question, and I don't need or even want an answer to it)

#183 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted Yesterday, 23:41

Hey, they don't my help then that's ok by me, maybe they would rather use you as target practice.

#184 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationRyabinki

Posted Today, 00:05

Like I said, I didn't need a response, because frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn, and again, it's none of my business.  I was simply curious if they were aware you had been invited to their practice, strictly as a matter of proper courtesy...but it's between you and them, and if you've patched it up with certain members that you've insulted and trash-talked, that's fine by me.

#185 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT

Posted Today, 00:38

A good way for you to make troubles were they don't need to be, but hey that's you for ya. 

#186 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted Today, 00:47

Let's keep it civil, gents. Thank-you very much. :)

XZjh8rJ.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FourSpeed