Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Join the US 103rd and JG1 for a Flyin on Thursday Evenings

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

#441 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 29 November 2018 - 13:19

Hostilities resume on Cuban and SteveF's Syndicate Server this week.

All welcome to join the fun.
Look forward to greeting our Central friends in the usual fashion :D

Our livestream should kickoff by 930 830pm EST at
https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulLMF

"Gathering his pilots around him on arrival he gave a pep talk, saying that they were equipped with the finest machine of all time and had three battle-experienced flight commanders. He expected every one of them to fight like hell and that it must never be said that any of them ever failed to go to the aid of a comrade, regardless of the cost, and that no patrol was ever to be late in taking off."

Major Keith 'Grid' Caldwell, 74 Sq

#442 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 29 November 2018 - 14:57

Thanks Baer! Looking forward to it! :icon_e_salute:

Also, for those who want a perspective from the Huns, my livestream will be live at the same time here:
https://m.twitch.tv/jg1_hotlead

Should be epic! :D

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#443 No.42_Cuban

No.42_Cuban

Posted 29 November 2018 - 23:12

Sorry gents didn’t see this now, I may not be able to make it tonight so it may have to be over at war grounds.

#444 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:00

Great fun tonight - some tough fights, but the 103rd came out of it with a nice score, and we all made it home ;) 

kPloPKK.png

#445 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:50

Another hectic session that started on Cubans with the High Recon but ended across on Wargrounds for Bruay and Foucaucourt.

Central's 2 seaters polished off Bruay in what must've been record time, but we had some good bounces and were pretty happy with the way we flew even if the result went against.
Foucaucourt had some high intensity engagements in enemy territory and over the mud. Twice i ended up shooting planes while flying in full cloud. Stupid, but it actually worked.
Our 2 seaters were in the thick of it too, successfully bombing the Tank factory from high level in Breguets and accounting for several EA shotdown without loss.

The night ended with a memorable Spad v Pfalz DXII dogfight. Both flights basically bumping into each other almost accidentally and the Spads getting an early advantage. The scrap twisted its way in and around a large cloud bank but soon one Pfalz was isolated and, though he fought well, it was just a matter of time before he caught a critical burst. :icon_e_salute:

So thanks to all who came out. Seemed like good numbers well into the evening.

Our stream is here. Its long, but will get timestamps done asap
https://youtu.be/mJgxu8LvIg4

"Gathering his pilots around him on arrival he gave a pep talk, saying that they were equipped with the finest machine of all time and had three battle-experienced flight commanders. He expected every one of them to fight like hell and that it must never be said that any of them ever failed to go to the aid of a comrade, regardless of the cost, and that no patrol was ever to be late in taking off."

#446 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 30 November 2018 - 16:53

Nice bounce Baer. I got my dong rung on that one. Triple wounded on first pass. I never saw you as I was preoccupied with your buddies who were shadowing me on the other side of the mud.

#447 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 December 2018 - 02:39

Big congrats to the US103rd - you guys seriously cleaned house last night!  :icon_e_salute:

Here is the stream from the Bosche point of view:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/342496947

Like Baer mentioned, thanks to all who came out! You guys are keeping this event cruising along!  :icon_e_smile:

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#448 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 01 December 2018 - 03:54

I got my dong rung on that one.

Bahahaha, never change Klug! 

kPloPKK.png

#449 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 03 December 2018 - 14:44

I'm too old to change. Would love to be a young buck again.

#450 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 06 December 2018 - 13:42

Cuban has set up a good sounding map for this week. Details here https://riseofflight...eres-june-1918/

It set near Armentieres so do drop in and parlez avec Marie LeCoq at the Café de la Paix if you get a chance  :icon_e_wink: 

Our Live stream should be here https://www.youtube....gOZeiOj2ZDrTN6Q

Attached Files

#451 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 07 December 2018 - 13:13

S! all.
Thanks to everyone who came out. It was a great night for RoF. Terrific scraps and over 40 pilots in the sky.

We ran deep patrols early on supporting our bomber but got more than we bargained for. 10-15 planes engaged at one point. Madness.

We also lost our leading Ace. G. DeFreest Larner finally fell in combat, and, not one to do things by halves, managed to die twice in a night having previously avoided a KIA or capture for 4-5months while racking up a score of 54.
Details are hazy but it seems the first was attributed to wing failure (edit: after taking damage from Jocassee) and the second to Ground Fire. Either way the Central guys defended well and our tactics weren't so effective.

Things improved later on as we knocked out some Pfalzs and a number of nasty Halb CL2s.

The stream replay is here https://youtu.be/K9PIiaWRIdc
Timestamps in description

:icon_e_salute:

#452 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 December 2018 - 23:43

Salute all!

A little late posting last Thursday's stream, but here it is at last! (Better late than never, eh? tongue.png ) 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/345670868

Had some absolutely AWESOME action on Cuban's server tonight! US103rd SPAD formations combined with 4 ship Dolphin formations, plus a couple high altitude two seaters made for the most intense action I've seen since my return to ROF! Afterwards, had a very nice chat with Larner & Hunter, and after that, had some DH.2 vs E.III action on the Ma and Pa's Basement server.

Big thanks to everyone who came out tonight! Looking forward to next Thursday night! biggrin.png

Finally, a big salute goes to Larner. A streak of 54 is a monumental accomplishment. Well done!  :icon_e_salute:

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#453 Von-Dervare

Von-Dervare

Posted 09 December 2018 - 00:27

Salute all!

A little late posting last Thursday's stream, but here it is at last! (Better late than never, eh? tongue.png ) 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/345670868

Had some absolutely AWESOME action on Cuban's server tonight! US103rd SPAD formations combined with 4 ship Dolphin formations, plus a couple high altitude two seaters made for the most intense action I've seen since my return to ROF! Afterwards, had a very nice chat with Larner & Hunter, and after that, had some DH.2 vs E.III action on the Ma and Pa's Basement server.

Big thanks to everyone who came out tonight! Looking forward to next Thursday night! biggrin.png

Finally, a big salute goes to Larner. A streak of 54 is a monumental accomplishment. Well done!  :icon_e_salute:

I tried to fly that game in a spad. I just got lost as I had no head set. I bought a head set today.

After I flew there 2 sorties, there was another IP to join . I think you may have too .I watched a video you made from the German point of view and I think I was on the air field then you popped in next to me and then another player popped in which is amusing to a newbie to see . Then I believe it was you that took off, and I was wondering if it was even ok for me to be there.

Just as you left the other plane started his engines, and so did I. I was going to try and follow who ever that was, but a bomb exploded on his plane and the hanagers behind me blew up ! So I did take off and became lost again LOL

The new head set is warming after a chilly ride in the back of my pick up truck . It's +9 F degrees here and dropping ;)

#454 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 December 2018 - 02:08

I tried to fly that game in a spad. I just got lost as I had no head set. I bought a head set today.

After I flew there 2 sorties, there was another IP to join . I think you may have too .I watched a video you made from the German point of view and I think I was on the air field then you popped in next to me and then another player popped in which is amusing to a newbie to see . Then I believe it was you that took off, and I was wondering if it was even ok for me to be there.

Just as you left the other plane started his engines, and so did I. I was going to try and follow who ever that was, but a bomb exploded on his plane and the hangers behind me blew up ! So I did take off and became lost again LOL

The new head set is warming after a chilly ride in the back of my pick up truck . It's +9 F degrees here and dropping ;)

Haha, so that was you! Nice to see you in the server! Of course it's totally fine for you to be there! What you're doing right now is how we all started, y'know. :) Navigation is tricky for sure. Look for the big landmarks, like huge cities and rivers. Then try to find them on your map.

Good map controls to know: 

1) Hit "M" to bring up your map

2) Double-clicking on your map makes it fill the whole screen and much easier to read. 

3) While your large map is up, hitting "right Ctrl" at the same time as the "+" or "-" key will control how "see-through" the map is. Very useful when you have the map covering your whole screen lol! 

You should totally join some of these guys on Teamspeak sometime! May I direct you to the "New Wings" training forums? The guys there are top-notch (some of them were the gentlemen in the Sopwith Dolphins who gave my flight a really stiff fight later in the livestream). Typically on Mondays 9pm MST and Saturdays 8pm CST, they have instructors on their Basic Training server who would love to get on teamspeak and train you in navigation or anything else you might need. 

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#455 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 December 2018 - 22:20

Just a reminder, gentlemen. We will be flying this Thursday evening at 8pm Central US time on Wargrounds. Hope to see you there! :icon_e_salute:

Attached File  rof 2018-11-26 23-36-19-15.jpg   454.08KB   0 downloads

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#456 No.42_Cuban

No.42_Cuban

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:24

Wouldn't miss it S!

#457 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted 11 December 2018 - 20:39

double post deleted

4084456.jpg

#458 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted 11 December 2018 - 20:41

This week saw two volumes released due to tragic events.

Volume 4 of the weekly paper:

VOL-4-REVISED.jpg

4084456.jpg

#459 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted 11 December 2018 - 21:20

Volume 5:

vol-5.jpg

4084456.jpg

#460 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 11 December 2018 - 21:29

It was a remarkable streak indeed! To our esteemed opponents: 

1b3deb80a265cbc6b42eeca6efcbfdfa.jpg

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#461 No.42_Cuban

No.42_Cuban

Posted 11 December 2018 - 22:27

Great stuff lol S!

#462 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 14 December 2018 - 06:47

Bloody Thursday! Losses on both sides, and some chaotic fighting. 

The night started out bleak for the 103rd, as we were given outdated 150hp Spads to fight the far superior Alb D.IIIs, Pfalz D.IIIs and Gothas of the German side. With neither the engine power nor the armament to challenge the large German formations, we generally avoided trouble, only skirmishing with the enemy here and there, but seeing no action for the most part.

Things improved on Metz, when we were able to get back into our glorious Spad 13s and take the fight to the enemy's Albs, Triplanes and D.VII Fs. Quite a few 'unconfirmed' on the 103rd's scoreboard, as the majority of our victories fell behind German lines! Some incredible action during our fights in Metz, and plenty of bloodshed suffered by both sides during some exhilarating squadron-on-squadron furballs. 

Regrettably, we saw another brilliant streak sadly end, as our own top Ace, Lt. Baer, was brought down by defensive fire from a Gotha while flying a 150hp SPAD. His final tally was 31, including the Gotha that brought him down, which was posthumously awarded. 

Included in Baer's 31 victories were some highly skilled pilots and bomber crews, and he has my utmost respect for the discipline in which he presented during his streak, as well as his killing ability and leadership at the head of 1st flight. In addition, his ability as a wingman contributed to the emergence of many aces within the 103rd. But, of course, death is ultimately all-too-abrupt on the Front, and even Baer's outstanding skill at the controls of his Spad couldn't keep him alive indefinitely. 

So, here's to a pilot respected by his wingmen and feared by his opponents: Salute, Baer - here's hoping you make it to 100 next time!  :icon_e_salute:

kPloPKK.png

#463 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 December 2018 - 22:04

Like Larner said, we had some absolutely wicked fights last night! Started out the night with MASSIVE Central formations contesting the skies over Metz against Pups, Triplanes, and SPAD 150s (although SPAD 180s would have been nice to have for the Allies). After that, we traveled to Metz bomber offensive where there were some absolutely bloody conflicts in the claustrophobic skies over Metz! (One fairly funny moment that I caught just now... at 1:41:41, when I was dead-stick landing after oiling my engine chasing Hobbs, I actually got turned around and landed in enemy lines. And I didn't even realize it that night lol!)

Anyway, you can see the livestream here:

Also, a big salute goes out to Baer. 31 kills over a period of months is an astonishing feat. You're an excellent wingman, a killer shot, and I am honored to share the unfriendly skies with you. Thanks for helping promote the community with your livestreams and getting the word out about Thursday nights! :icon_e_salute:

XZjh8rJ.jpg

#464 US103_Larner

US103_Larner

Posted 14 December 2018 - 22:44

A small taste of the night...this was one of the smaller fights! 

TGOLFtS.png

kPloPKK.png

#465 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted Yesterday, 10:43

Great turnout again, around 40 for 2nd week running. The sight of those large plane formations is just so impressive, thanks everyone who came out.
I don't know how many JG1s were up but it felt like the whole damn Circus! Amazing to see. :icon_e_salute:

Not a good night for me but a fully crewed J30 Gotha is serious business and i made a careless final run on it, with predictable results. Salute to Hangman, Mein and Hammer.
Earlier we got a good bounce on a formation of Pfalzs in our anemic SPAD 150s and both JG1 Loopy and Hotlead were in my sights when they got 'Break!' calls so it could have been a very different night :icon_e_biggrin:

Here's our stream of Lille -Early(!?) and Metz with timestamps in description.

https://youtu.be/CKge82GLJwQ

Missed some of the 2nd half Metz fights, but Hotleads stream should have them

#466 US103_Talbot

US103_Talbot

Posted Today, 05:31

Vol. 6 ready for circulation

https://ibb.co/vQyKrW7

4084456.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users