Photo
- - - - -

@Panthercules (or anybody else) - problems with RoF in 4K

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 chris455

chris455

Posted 26 August 2017 - 23:46

Panthercules my friend, it seems I need your help once more.............

Recently I upgraded my PC with a 32" Acer Predator 4K monitor, and an EVGA 1080ti video card.

With the upgrade I am able to run DCS, IL2 BoX, Il2 COD, World of Tanks, etc in 4K with no problem.

But Rise of Flight will not even launch:

"ROF.exe has stopped working" (immediately upon launching the app)

as well as a windows message to the effect that my video driver had stopped responding and had recovered.

A few things I have done to try to help myself:

1.Tried a complete uninstall/re-install of ROF (using the last free public client download +update );

2. Tried rolling back video drivers to the last one that ROF worked with;

3. Entered a delay in my registry "TdrDelay 8" to "slow" the response time of my video card to let ROF "catch up" (this based on a Microsoft help site);

4. Tried a repair of ROF;

5. Tried using HDMI inputs to the new monitor instead of the new DisplayPort;

6. Cut open a small animal and attempted to read it's entrails.............................. :)

At a loss. Nothing helps. As mentioned earlier. no other programs affected. 

Hoping I can get back in the skies over France in 4K- 

Chris

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 August 2017 - 00:55

Hmm - I just upgraded my PC too earlier this month (new specs below) and am running the same video card (or close to it - mine is the SC2 variant - they were out of the FTW variant when I got mine), and am not having any problems running RoF.  

I've never tried a 4K monitor though (still using my 24" 1920x1080 144MHz gaming monitor for RoF, though I've generally switched to VR on my Rift for BoS), so maybe that is part of the issue, though I don't know why it would be (others around here seem to be using 4K monitors OK, IIRC).

What OS and nVidia driver are you using?  I just installed the latest driver (385.41) last night, and checked it and it's working fine with RoF (but so was the previous one I was running, version 384.94).  Given that odd Windows message about your video driver not responding, that feels like the best place to focus - are you doing "clean installs" on your driver updates/rollbacks?  Do you have the Geforce Experience thing installed? (that was giving me problems a year or two ago - I uninstalled it and never re-install it with any driver update, and haven't had any problems since then) 

Not having ever had to mess with that "TdrDelay" setting myself (or seen anybody here posting about doing that), my gut says you'd probably be better off putting that back to whatever it was before you changed it, since it doesn't seem to have worked, in case it gets in the way of something else working.

Are you by any chance using SweetFX/ReShade/FlightFX? (or have you been using it before?)  Probably a long shot, but the only time I really had rof.exe crash-upon-launch problems turned out to be when something had gotten corrupted with the SweetFX config file, so I thought I might at least mention it just in case.

How are you setting your screen resolution (within the launcher, or by editing the startup.cfg file)?  And are you running RoF in full screen or not?

You seem to have done a lot of the troubleshooting steps I would have suggested, so I'm just throwing a few things at the wall hoping something might stick.  Maybe someone here using 4K will have some better ideas (I'll edit the title of your thread to try to attract more attention).

New PC specs:

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 5.0 GHz (Corsair liquid cooler); 16GB RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz)
EVGA GTX 1080 TI SC2, 11 GB; ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code MB; Realtek ROG SupremeFX audio
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; Oculus Rift (CV1); Logitech Force 3D Pro; Saitek Rudder Pedals and Throttle Quadrants

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:

#3 chris455

chris455

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:18

Here are answers to some of your questions, followed by a question of my own:

Video Driver: 385.25 and 385.41

Using both Geforce Experience and a manual driver install.

I belive I may have used SweetFX once upon a time, but not since the new install.

So finally- startup.cfg. Never heard of it. But I looked it up after eading your reply, and it contains lies. If I delete it, will RoF build a new one?

#4 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 August 2017 - 01:44

So finally- startup.cfg. Never heard of it. But I looked it up after eading your reply, and it contains lies. If I delete it, will RoF build a new one?

Well, I would have thought so, but I just tried an experiment doing that and it kept throwing off a weird error message about not being able to access the file to write to it (and wouldn't launch).  I tried running the RoF launcher as an administrator just in case, but that didn't help.

However, I just tried another test and it worked - instead of moving/deleting the current startup.cfg file entirely, make a copy of the startup.cfg file somewhere safe outside your RoF installation, and open the startup.cfg file in your data folder in a text editor and just wipe out everything in the file after the very first block of text (with your login info) and leave that edited startup.cfg file in your data folder.  Then start the launcher, and go through and select all your desired graphics, sound, camera and other settings in the launcher, and then click "OK" at the bottom - the launcher should close and you should have a regenerated startup.cfg file in your data folder.  Then you can try starting the game, and see what happens.

Good luck!

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960

#5 chris455

chris455

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:49

Got the Blue Screen of Death for that attempt. :icon_e_sad:

#6 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 August 2017 - 16:28

When are these crashes occurring - while you're starting the launcher or only after you click to start the game itself? Exactly what happened when you tried my experiment with startup.cfg - what sort of startup.cfg file did you get when you clicked OK (before trying to start the game), or did you not get that far before you got the BSOD?

One more thing that might be worth trying - try deleting/moving your startup.cfg outside of your RoF folders, and replace it with the sample file attached (you'll want to open the sample file with a text editor and insert your login info near the top and change the resolutions from the 1920x1080 that I use, but the other settings should work OK with your rig, at least for testing purposes).

Attached File  startup.zip   901bytes   0 downloads

Good luck!

#7 chris455

chris455

Posted 27 August 2017 - 19:34

OK Panthercules,

I've got one to add to your bag of tricks  :icon_e_biggrin:

See here:

https://www.driverea...-has-recovered/

I tried all of the mentioned fixes; in truth, my rig was already configured for the most part as recommended. 

HOWEVER, that little trick "disable desktop composition" was new and after I had configured ROF to do so, VOILA!

Everything is working now!

Thanks again for your help and dedication, even if it ws mostly "moral support" this time- you are truly appreciated ! 

Seeing Rise of Flight in 4K with all settings maxed is a sight to behold- be sure!

Thanks again!

Chris

#8 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 27 August 2017 - 19:48

Awesome!  Glad you figured it out.  Took a quick look at that link you provided - some useful stuff there that fortunately I've never run into but nice to know in case this sort of problem crops up down the road.

Been focused so much on optimizing my new rig for BoS in VR that I haven't given much consideration to the whole 4K thing, but with VR for RoF looking like a pretty forlorn hope at this point maybe I'll have to start looking into 4K for when I still play RoF.  

#9 chris455

chris455

Posted 27 August 2017 - 23:04

Awesome!  Glad you figured it out.  Took a quick look at that link you provided - some useful stuff there that fortunately I've never run into but nice to know in case this sort of problem crops up down the road.

Been focused so much on optimizing my new rig for BoS in VR that I haven't given much consideration to the whole 4K thing, but with VR for RoF looking like a pretty forlorn hope at this point maybe I'll have to start looking into 4K for when I still play RoF.  

VR!?!?!?!?!? Lucky Dog!! 

Maybe someday.....................

S!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users