Photo
- - - - -

Seeding Wargrounds or Syndicate

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 19 August 2017 - 13:16

It's a bit of a pain to just lie around on empty "realistic" servers waiting for people to jump in. Maybe if those interested in flying on them joined the "airquake" servers they could be persuaded to wait for a tad longer, so they could meet the very same guys which now connect for a couple minutes, check the unexistent crowd and then quit.

Maybe a simple scheme could be arranged: when Wargrounds and Syndicate are empty, everyone interested in these would just join the server with the largest crowd, say NFF. We all know many names of those interested. When a few are available, someone would just chat "WG 8?" or "SYN 6?", for a minimum of 8 guys on Wargrounds or 6 guys on Syndicate and everyone willing would anser "WG" or "SYN" to confirm. If a sufficient number is found, they would all switch.

Complicated? Maybe. I just can't find a simpler idea.

Last but not least, would this be unpolite for our NFF hosts and/or friends? Wouldn't want that.

Cheers all!

(*) "Realistic" and "Airquake" terms are used here as a practical oversimplification of reality, nothing is really realistic in the game, we all know that, or we'd all be dead. It's just convenient, like "left" and "right" in politics. No offense meant to anyone.

#2 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:48

Given the relative success of slack lobby in J2, i'm thinking about making open ready room using slack or webpage.

Forum moderator.

Adjutant, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

"The only thing "full real" around here is the drama. So play in whichever way keeps you online for us to shoot at."(Hrafn_Kolbrandr)

#3 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 20 August 2017 - 14:31

It's a bit of a pain to just lie around on empty "realistic" servers waiting for people to jump in

Do you mean to say they haven't implemented audio alerting for that scenario?

I've always considered that a minimum requirement on anything I may choose to run.

ARTY EFFEM

#4 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 20 August 2017 - 15:26

Salute Bidu !

If I may speak on behalf of NFF regarding this..

Firstly I appreciate the tone and sensitivity of your message regarding terminology etc..

Secondly it's a good time to point out again that NFF doesn't exist for the benefit of anyone other than primarily NFF pilots. Although many others do benefit from it. NFF has no interest in attracting large pilot numbers. It exists and anyone who plays by the server rules is welcome whenever they wish, and if anyone wishes to fly elsewhere they are just as welcome to - it's none of NFF's business if pilot 'x' prefers to fly elsewhere. From a personal perspective I suffer lag issues on NFF once pilot numbers get to a certain level, as some others do, so attracting high numbers isn't and has never been any kind of 'goal'.

However I'm not sure I'd be happy with our chat box being used on a regular basis as an advertising board for other servers. That shouldn't really be considered an ethical way to do things. The chat box can be distracting enough as it is ! I don't expect if it was the other way around that NW would be too impressed..

It should also be remembered that most NFF pilots are banned from NW servers, rightly or wrongly is irrelevant and I'm not wishing to start any arguments about that as NW can allow / ban whomever they want to, but it's a fact none the less.

I'm not sure it would make a huge amount of difference in regard to your objective anyway. Occasionally I see one or two pilots who would more likely fly on WG and are maybe just on NFF as it's the only populated server at the time. But most of the pilots who fly NFF are fairly regular, and clearly prefer flying on a smaller map with icons.

I always talk up NW when I mention them - they've been the backbone of the game, and nurtured most of the talented pilots. Having just started using the ME I have a new and great appreciation of the maps WG has to offer, and the training server is excellent.

The sad fact is most pilots have left the game in the last couple of years or more. The solution to low numbers, other that a 777 promotional drive, would be to try and persuade some of the leavers to come back to the game.

It's all very well trying to get people to fly on the SYN server - but where are all the SYN pilots these days ?

Another fact is that there have been a few servers offering an icons-free dogfighting environment. Despite the community describing their 'perfect dogfight' server attributes on the Forum, that hasn't been followed up by these servers being populated when they've been available.

I may have read recently that NW were thinking of compacting the maps a little, this may well be the way to for them under the current circumstances.

Whatever, with MP numbers as they are there's so little left to fight over it's only going to be more detremental to the game if there is any 'fighting'.

Whether someone prefers icons on or off, they should be respected for the simple fact that they're still flying RoF. They're all that are keeping the MP game going currently.. and who knows, maybe the good times will return at some point ?

Not particularly helpful to your cause Bidu, but in my opinion it's the low numbers are the issue, less where people are choosing to fly.

I guess you're on American time, as WG seems to be currently populated mainly according to European timings.

As it is NW and SYN are represented on the RoF Online website where anyone can alt-tab out of the game and check server numbers elsewhere.

:icon_e_salute:

ZF

(=NFF=Snake..Eyes)

#5 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 20 August 2017 - 15:45

it's a good time to point out again that NFF doesn't exist for the benefit of anyone other than primarily NFF pilots.

While one would have to hope the server's actual owner concurs with the above, I'm sure the community is most grateful for the clarification, not least because the server's name would tend to suggest the exact opposite.

ARTY EFFEM

#6 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 20 August 2017 - 16:25

Arty, the key word in that sentence is "primarily".

Perhaps you didn't also read "anyone who plays by the server rules is welcome whenever they wish".

Again I point out that neither the server 'owner', nor the gentleman who acts as 'technician' for the servers have actually played the game for some time.

So wittingly or otherwise anyone who flies there, myself included, should be grateful that these individuals still give a piece of their time, as well as expense, for nothing.

If you know of anyone who has been excluded unfairly, or are suggesting that NFF are anything other than welcoming to all who obey the simple server rules - we have our own Forum where you or anyone is welcome to complain. I'll happily address any issues regarding that.

#7 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 20 August 2017 - 18:27

If you know of anyone who has been excluded unfairly, or are suggesting that NFF are anything other than welcoming to all who obey the simple server rules - we have our own Forum where you or anyone is welcome to complain. I'll happily address any issues regarding that.

Were I to know of such persons, far from complain I should consider them blessed. The original question was as to the wisdom of inciting migration to an alternate server.  The answer has to be that it depends upon the relative quality of the proposed destination.

ARTY EFFEM

#8 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 20 August 2017 - 19:28

Hi Zooropa!

Thank you for your feedback!

Indeed chatting can become distracting, and I agree that people joining a server mainly for the purpose of leaving it is really not a healthy thing.

A Syndicate crowd still exists, although getting it started has become harder. When it does, it still attracts some 20 something concurrent players, and a maybe quite a few more total. It's roughly the same crowd that fuels major seasonal Rof events, and we all know how great those are.

We will find a better way to get together, maybe using Trupobaw's solution, which has helped already. Anyway, Summer will soon be over and numbers are bound to improve.

Salute!

#9 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 16 September 2017 - 15:32

I believe GusGT has an app that will have what you want, has a list of servers and how many are on the servers and who is on, it also will give warnings if your squad mates have entered a server.

#10 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 16 September 2017 - 16:16

Wow, where do you get that? It's like http://rof.flying-barans.ru/but better and right on your mobile? :)

#11 GrahamshereGT

GrahamshereGT
  • LocationDeroche,Britsh Columbia,Canada

Posted 16 September 2017 - 16:52

PM GusGT , I'm sure he will send it to you.

#12 Arty_Effem

Arty_Effem

Posted 16 September 2017 - 21:31

I believe GusGT has an app that will have what you want, has a list of servers and how many are on the servers and who is on, it also will give warnings if your squad mates have entered a server.

Hmmm....what happens if it becomes globally popular? Absolutely everyone in a group waiting to get an alert that one of them has joined the server. I wonder if there possibly could be a flaw in that concept...

ARTY EFFEM

#13 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 17 September 2017 - 14:45

Hmmm....what happens if it becomes globally popular? Absolutely everyone in a group waiting to get an alert that one of them has joined the server. I wonder if there possibly could be a flaw in that concept...

Mean any of those will know when he does. People that try to be the frist know that the likelihood of others joining is greater. Will surely bring people in.

#14 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 17 September 2017 - 14:45

PM GusGT , I'm sure he will send it to you.

Thanks, I will.

#15 US103_Hunter

US103_Hunter
  • LocationOver The Front!

Posted 18 September 2017 - 19:53

Bidu et al,

As a SPAD pilot I detest icons and dogfight training servers, but flying all by myself is not too fun either. I think the best solution is to log into a server and stay a bit until others notice and join. sometimes you can go from 2-3 to a dozen pretty quick. Keep in mind part of it is due to time zones as well.

The 103rd is working on coordinating some of our squad nights so we can have a few groups join and play at the same time. Hopefully that will help as well.

S!

Hunter

103rd%20forum%20sig.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users