- - - - -

wysiwyg input settings please!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Porco_Rosso

Porco_Rosso

Posted 05 December 2009 - 09:41

General
I would really like to see some kind of wysywyg settings input.

For me the most frustrating part of ROF are the hours spent, going from settings assigning a switch, clicking save, starting the game, going to missions, waiting for it to load, getting into the mission, checking that the input works and then starting the whole process over again if it doesnt. At a guess there must be more than 50 input settings…the last time I had to do this, it took three days! With the new update, all my previous settings disappeared. Im on my second day of inputting! :x

The second difficulty with input, is that for novices, there appears to be no way of knowing what all the various inputs mean. Some are guessable, but many are not. This adds immensely to the trial and error factor.

Is a visual interface difficult to do? The graphics could be very simple. I would like to be able to assign a hat or switch (for example head look left), and then without going anywhere else or starting a mission etc, just be able to move the hat and see that it functions. Wysywig would also enable everyone to understand exactly what each term meant in input. You might just click on it, and the visual interface would show you what it does.

I love this game….but boy is this aspect of it frustrating!!!! :evil:

#2 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:19

You are exactly 1 day too late with this suggestion. They beat you to it and added this with the latest patch. Make sure to patch up next time you play.

#3 Porco_Rosso

Porco_Rosso

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:09

I have the update since yesterday, before to posting the above wish list. The new update doesnt give wysywyg (at least on my update it doesnt - and in fact the new interface doesnt seem to work at all :twisted: ) But wonderful if it is wysywig. But from what I have seen you still cannot test each newly assigned switch, visually in the new update. Its simply an in game interface to the settings input. You still have to load up a mission and test each newly assigned switch, and if it doesnt work go back and do it all over again….Or am I missing something here? :D

See also: http://riseofflight....&p=50893#p50893">viewtopic.php?f=128&t=5070&p=50893#p50893

#4 stethnorun

stethnorun

Posted 05 December 2009 - 23:56

Sorry then I misunderstood. What is "wysywyg"? Cuz it looks like a non-sense word to me :)

#5 Porco_Rosso

Porco_Rosso

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:55

No problem ;) My spelling was at fault. It should be WYSIWYG. Its a technical acronym for "What You See Is What You Get"

Explanation courtesy of Wikipedia: WYSIWYG implies a user interface that allows the user to view something very similar to the end result.

So I had in mind that the imput settings shows a little window with a cockpit view of the plane, and when you assign your hat to make the head turn from side to side…it happens, you look from side to side. Then, you know its been succesfully assigned, and you can adjust the speed in real time etc. The wysiwyg view neednt have full graphics etc. It might be something very basic. It would also mean that everyone can see what each of the input terms means and do it in real time. This would mean that you dont have to spend hours loading up and exiting for every key or hat or switch that you assign in the settings.

I spoke to someone else today who had lost all his settings for his joystick. His view too was this too and fro-ing to get all the settings right is the most frustrating part of ROF.

I dont want to detract from the fact the its such a great game. I wouldnt be complaining if it wasnt! :D

Cheers
Porco.

#6 =MFC=Gunloon

=MFC=Gunloon

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:27

I spoke to someone else today who had lost all his settings for his joystick. His view too was this too and fro-ing to get all the settings right is the most frustrating part of ROF.

That's the most frustrating thing? Problem solved!

If you'll save your input settings to a new .map file and don't bother with the original, you'll find life a lot easier. Yes, updates replace the file with the original input.map, but doesn't delete any you created…all you have to do is load the one you previously saved ('x52.map' in my case, for the stick I use).

After the 1.09 update, sure enough, the original input.map was showing, 5 seconds switching it was all I needed to do.

I'd suggest saving that file somewhere like a flash drive (it's tiny) in case you ever have to reinstall or have a hard drive go bad on you.

[MF] Gunloon

#7 =MFC=Gunloon

=MFC=Gunloon

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:32

You still have to load up a mission and test each newly assigned switch, and if it doesnt work go back and do it all over again….Or am I missing something here?

Yes. You can change the input assignment in-game, then return without exiting. If you don't like it, pause the sim, right click to get the widgets menu, call up the 'responses' menu and change it again as necessary.

[MF] Gunloon

#8 Porco_Rosso

Porco_Rosso

Posted 07 December 2009 - 17:41

Thanks for the helpful info Gunloon :)

A few questions though.

1) Saving and switching files: How do you save the file? Is it the file that comes up when you click on the config file link in the settings input window? How do you load it into the joystick? Or is the file which is stored in the joystick which should be saved?
Sorry for asking what may be obvious questions, but I'm pretty new to flight simming.

2) About the in-game input settings. For reasons I do not understand, this is quite dead in my version of it. All that happens with it, is the rows change colour when the mouse goes over them. But there seems to be no way of inputting new assignments. I have tried a) clicking/ right-clicking on the selected area b) Using various switches or hats on the joystick to see if it assigns them c) Deleting the assignment which already exists in that row and doing 'a)' and 'b)' above and lastly d) clicking on save, and trying the above etc. However nothing changes. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Porco.

#9 =MFC=Gunloon

=MFC=Gunloon

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:07

Thanks for the helpful info Gunloon :)

A few questions though.

1) Saving and switching files: How do you save the file? Is it the file that comes up when you click on the config file link in the settings input window? How do you load it into the joystick? Or is the file which is stored in the joystick which should be saved?
Sorry for asking what may be obvious questions, but I'm pretty new to flight simming.

2) About the in-game input settings. For reasons I do not understand, this is quite dead in my version of it. All that happens with it, is the rows change colour when the mouse goes over them. But there seems to be no way of inputting new assignments. I have tried a) clicking/ right-clicking on the selected area b) Using various switches or hats on the joystick to see if it assigns them c) Deleting the assignment which already exists in that row and doing 'a)' and 'b)' above and lastly d) clicking on save, and trying the above etc. However nothing changes. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Porco.

1) No, those links are for reference only and provide generated HTML views of the currently selected .map file to check your settings (or print out if you want a guide) for it.

There's a dropdown tab in the ROF launcher about 2/3 of the way down in the 'input' tab in 'settings' (just above those links you mention) that lets you load the desired .map file. Now, if you haven't yet created one, set up your inputs as you'd like and use the 'save as' button, which will prompt you for a name for your personalized .map file.

Getting back to your earlier comment, btw, come the next update, you'll likely see the default 'input.map' loaded by the change, just select the one you want from the dropdown tab and your saved settings will be restored, you'll just have to add any new inputs (like i did for the track recorder in this 1.09 update) and save them using the 'save' button to get up to speed.

EDIT- just checked, it's easier than I'd originally thought. In-game, there's a round button with two chevrons on the top right side of the 'options' menu to get the dropdown menu for selecting the .map file you want, so if you're using multiple .map files for different planes it's easy to switch on the fly.

When you make an input change in game, just use the 'save' button, and the name of the last .map file you loaded comes up to save to.

When you adjust joystick curves in game and save, btw, the same named .map file comes up to save those changes to as well, so obviously joystick curves are now part of the .map file.

2) Yeah, getting the selections to take in game has gotten very finicky! I find that the mouse must be absolutely still on any selection for a single click to work, and even then it sometimes doesn't….most annoying. Fortunately, a brisk double click will work fine. I actually adjusted my pitch curve in an online game yesterday by putting the plane on level autopilot, making the changes, saving, and returning to cockpit, and I just double clicked on each selection rather than repeatedly trying to get a single click to work, I hope they fix that, there's really no reason to have to double click selections.

Remember, right clicking has now been dedicated to calling up the widgets menu, so it won't work for any other function in game selections, don't waste your time with it when making a selection.

Also, when you do change a key in game, it's just as sensitive to mouse movement as it is in the launcher, so make sure it hasn't just assigned the new key you want to a mouse axis movement before you apply the change. If it has, clear it ('retry'), make sure the mouse doesn't move, and hit the key you want again.

It all sounds a bit complicated, but with a bit of practice becomes habit.

Hope I was able to help…

[MF] Gunloon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users