Photo
- - - - -

End of an era

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:59

Replaced these 19yr old Logitech car sim pedals yesterday.

I bought them in 1998 to play Grand Prix Legends, but found they could work in flight sims too though i had to keep the steering wheel (in a cupboard) as a 'usb adapter'..much to my wife's displeasure. So they stayed, and stayed, and as much as i cursed them i knew they worked and i knew how to work them.

The left pedal is/was firmer (maybe my left foot got stronger) and, being so old, both pots spike a lot and my yaw curves were pretty insane to help mitigate. I thought new pedals would easily be much better, but muscle-memory is a funny thing :icon_e_wink:

The new pedals are bright, shiny Thrustmaster TFRPs. Smooth as advertised, but you have to move your whole foot and leg forward and back, whereas with the old logitechs i could lightly twist my ankle or even just toes to get the required input - without even thinking about it.

I guess i'll get used to pushing my legs back and forth over time but i miss the logitechs, and it got me wondering a couple of things.

1. Anyone else have a favourite hardware that they used for a silly period of time?

2. Anyone else transition from car pedals to flight pedals? Help :icon_e_salute:

Attached File  old pedals small.jpg   247.46KB   3 downloads

BxlHM7Q.png                  HaO2aNP.png

#2 MakW

MakW
  • LocationZuidlaren The Netherlands

Posted 11 August 2017 - 00:36

I type my life long on 1 keyboard, does that count?

It is almost 40 years old.

And the best made keyboard ever.

greetz.

MakW

PS. I lie just a bit. I have 4 almost 40 years old keyboards, all the same and all the best ever ;)

#3 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:47

Hi MakW,

40 yr old keyboard! How do you connect it, or are you referring to a standalone electric typewriter?

Either way thats..er..some dedication you have there :icon_e_salute:

According to wikipedia the IBM type M was released in 1986 and got a ps2 connector in 1987 which i think you can get convertors for. So thats 30 years, but i reckon if one of those is still working you haven't used it hard enough

Attached Files

#4 Oliver88

Oliver88

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:19

I've been using as my "stick" an Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro, same vintage as your car sim gear. Do not remember when exactly was bought (by parents for me assume as I was prob around 10 when it released). But its soldiered on and continues to work as new. The hat switch is the sole rubbish part but then it has always been rubbish as far as I can remember.

https://en.m.wikiped...r#Freestyle_Pro

#5 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 23 August 2017 - 20:18

2. Anyone else transition from car pedals to flight pedals? 

I picked up some Saitek rudder pedals a few years ago, and transitioned from the old Logitech car pedals I had been using way back when I was really into playing racing games (played the heck out of Grand Prix Legends, some sort of Porsche game where you raced old 1950s/1960s Porsches on various unofficial road courses, and several demolition derby/Carpocalypse type games).  Really like the rudder pedals now that I'm used to them, but I do miss the old car pedals every once in a while (don't really have enough room in my current setup for both racing and flying gear, and flying takes precedence right now).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#6 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:43

I've been using as my "stick" an Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro, same vintage as your car sim gear. Do not remember when exactly was bought (by parents for me assume as I was prob around 10 when it released). But its soldiered on and continues to work as new. The hat switch is the sole rubbish part but then it has always been rubbish as far as I can remember.

https://en.m.wikiped...r#Freestyle_Pro

Certainly qualifies as a ridiculous length of time :)
I bet you've become damn effective with it too.

I sometimes wonder if older hardware was deliberately over-engineered, or perhaps planned obsolescence just wasn't as advanced back then.

My car is 38yrs old, I love it, but how many 2017 models will still be great to use, or even allowed to use, in 2057?!

Panthercules. At last, someone who played GPL! It's still going believe it or not. They've just launched a 1955mod.

After a month of sporadic flying I've got more used to full leg movement for pedals, but no way is it more accurate than car-style ankle movement.
Upside is that using more body movement adds to immersion factor.

#7 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:35

#8 Oliver88

Oliver88

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:29

Certainly qualifies as a ridiculous length of time :)
I bet you've become damn effective with it too.

I sometimes wonder if older hardware was deliberately over-engineered, or perhaps planned obsolescence just wasn't as advanced back then.

My car is 38yrs old, I love it, but how many 2017 models will still be great to use, or even allowed to use, in 2057?!

become good enough, am looking to have an end of an era moment with these too, looking at new sticks

#9 MakW

MakW
  • LocationZuidlaren The Netherlands

Posted 06 November 2017 - 22:24

@ paullmf2 ..

You are spot on, they are 42 years old IBM's, except I remember my IBM keyboards to be 1985.

But I cant read any of the stickers anymore, they peeled off ;)

And converters to connect it to a PC? Why, it is PS2. My pc's have and had 2 PS2 ports. New ones dont?

Happy flying,

MakW

PS. I love old things. My cars is from 1951 and my wife is from 1961.

#10 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:28

I'v got similar pedals my self. Do these car pedals work well enough as a temporary solution until i make my own?

Or should i just stick with the twist axis on my flight stick.

Just wanna know before I dig it out of the bottom of my cupboard. Alot of things need to be moved first to access the pedals :)

Salute!

Stumble.

Always remember you are unique!

Just like everyone else.

#11 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 07 November 2017 - 17:14

I really liked car pedals for rudder actually. Used them for many years. You have to configure them as one axis but it's much more natural than twist.

#12 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:12

how do u configure them as one axis? I'm probably gonna try that althen

S!

Just like everyone else.

#13 Stumble

Stumble
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:22

I managed to work it. Works good. i think.

I wonder if there's some way to put feedback into it to turn it into better rudder pedals. As in when i push one, the other comes towards me.

Salute!

Stumble.

Just like everyone else.

#14 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:18

haha, yeah both feet can push together, in which case nothing happens because no delta between the 2. But the brain and feet muscles figure it out naturally after a while. To yaw left you need more left foot and less right.

#15 US103_Baer

US103_Baer

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:35

PS. I love old things. My cars is from 1951 and my wife is from 1961.

LOLOL!  :icon_e_salute: 

I remember visiting Classic Remise in Berlin with my wife. She fell in love (as you do) with an orange 280SL Pagoda from the same year she was born and thought it was a great idea to buy one from the same year when we got home. However having a classic car from your year of birth has certain implications. Turns out she wasn't quite ready to be so open.  :icon_e_smile: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users