- - - - -

Voice Attack & RoF

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 21 June 2017 - 18:49

Hi Guys,

Quite some time ago, someone (I think it might have been Vonrd, iirc) mentioned using "Voice Attack" software to control Rise of Flight using your microphone.

While an intriguing idea at the time, I didn't get a chance to try that out until just recently.  So, if it was Vonrd, or someone else who mentioned it, Thank You!

As many of you know, I just use a Logitech Extreme 3D joystick to fly RoF, and while it does that quite well, it simply doesn't have enough buttons for more complicated sims (like FSX, DCS or Falcon BMS). A few weeks ago, I decided to give VA a try, and I've been enjoying the heck out of it ever since. I used RoF as my "test case" and put together a profile for it that handles many of the commands in the game, and can actually do some things that I think are pretty slick.  While I haven't made DCS or BMS profiles as yet, it's also working quite well for FSX, and I regularly fly both sims now without touching the keyboard at all (or even needing most of the buttons on my joystick any more).

In RoF, engine starts, mixture and radiator control, map viewing, dropping bombs, shooting flares, and a bunch of other things, are all easily handled by simply pushing one button and telling the game what to do.

It occurred to me (eventually  ;)  :P ) that I should probably share that profile with folks in our community who might be interested in it.   Sure, sure, I *know* that pilots in WWI didn't control their airplanes by talking to them, so if you're worried about spoiling "immersion", I understand.  OTOH, I think it is cool as heck to say "Engine Start" and have the sim immediately start up whatever plane I'm in, wherever I'm at, be it in an SP mission, or on New Wings - Wargrounds, or in FiF.

In any case, I've put the profile, with some documentation into a .zip file and I'm uploading it here for you to dabble with if you wish.  Enjoy, and Have Fun!

Regards,

:icon_e_salute:

PS> Disclaimer:  Voice Attack is free to try (limited to a single profile with up to 20 commands), but costs $10 for a full, registered version.

After playing with it for a couple hours, that $10 was an easy, no-brainer purchase for me, but others may feel differently.  

I mention this because my profile has way more than 20 commands in it, so you'll need to have the registered version to use it fully.

Attached Files

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 21 June 2017 - 21:37

I used to use something like this (it was called something else but was a voice command program) back in my Silent Hunter days.  That was really awesome and added to the immersion because you could easily imagine yourself as the submarine commander barking out orders to your crew.

Other than starting your engine in RoF (which I could easily equate to yelling to the guy standing by ready to spin your prop) and maybe some commands you might yell at your gunner/observer (and maybe even commands to your AI flightmates, even though you know they can't really hear you), however, I never could see myself wanting to do any of the other actions in RoF via voice command.  But as you say, to each his own and if it doesn't bother you it certainly sounds like a convenient way to avoid fumbling with a multitude of keys/buttons.

Now, if they release an updated version of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, I can certainly see controlling one of those babies by voice :)

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#3 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:17

Other than starting your engine in RoF (which I could easily equate to yelling to the guy standing by ready to spin your prop) and maybe some commands you might yell at your gunner/observer (and maybe even commands to your AI flightmates,

That is exactly what I use it for.

So much easier than reaching for the keyboard and press multiple keys to get your command out.

IMO it is worth it for that alone. Being able to get your squad to form up on your left.

or telling your ground crew to spin the prop

or telling your gunner to shoot long

sig.png

#4 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:24

@Panthercules:

Understood. If you're focused on the immersion of when a pilot would actually say something or not, then Fair Enough -- I plead "No Contest"    :)

I mentioned the "Engine Start" command specifically, because that is, far and away, the Number 1 chat item I see daily in our MP chat logs... Those two words (& VA) make the entire problem of starting planes (that have mixture control) or flying with the radiator closed (for the Albie & D7 pilots) disappear completely.    :P

For myself, I find it most useful for displaying the map (and moving it around, centering it, adjusting its transparency, etc.) without having to monkey with the mouse or keyboard.  Of course, I also use it for flares, tweaking temps and mixture, dropping bombs, and for the wingmen commands in SP Career mode.  Having said that, the RoF profile was really a "Proof of Concept" testbed for me, since it's pretty simple, in terms of command volume and complexity.  It certainly convinced me that VA was well worth the ten bucks I shelled out for it, and I'm quite certain it will be a *huge* help when I get around to making a profile for the fully realistic A10 in DCS, or the equally realistic F16 in BMS. 

Now, if they release an updated version of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, I can certainly see controlling one of those babies by voice :)

LOL!  It's funny that you say that... A couple weeks ago, GOG had their summer sale, and I picked up XWing Special Edition for a couple bucks.  Back in the day, I put more hours into that game (the 5 1/4"  floppy disk version ;)) than I'd care to add up (far more than in RoF -- Yikes!), and that was the second VA profile I made while I was working on the RoF and FSX ones (the latter, and 3rd of which, I'm still adding to).  The 1998 revamp they did on XWing still looks (pretty) good today, given that it is older than several of our community members  :D and I've been having some fun revisiting that game again (the profile works great too, but I'm doubtful there's an actual community to share that one with any more)   ;)

Cheers,

#5 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:34

or telling your gunner to shoot long

For immersion value, I scribble the instruction in a piece of paper, and have my scanner in a table right behind me. It scans and OCR's, then it gets read out loud by Narrator, and voice activation picks it up.

...no. No, I don't do that. :D

#6 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:04

You should, for the sake of immersion.

It's quite satisfying to spawn on the field and then shout out "oi! peasant, start my engine"  :)

sig.png

#7 Ghost_666

Ghost_666

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:33

Sounds very interesting. Wonder how it would work with my accent. Oh well don't really matter I know it would not work with my wind and engine simulator. You see, I have a big fan blowing over a large bucket of ice into my face. The fan is belt driven by a Briggs and Stratten 1/2hp lawnmower engine. This set up really gets you into the game, but most of the time I can't even hear myself type, so VA may not work for me. :icon_e_wink: 

P.S. And the slow drip of caster oil into the wind stream some times keeps me from even wanting to open my mouth. :icon_e_deadman: 

Circling, Circling, in the sun.  Desperately trying to use my gun.  Up and down and around about.  Left and right I through my Scout.  When I had that Hun, on the run.  My little Newport she spun.  Down and down, with speed I went.  Into the ground, without wings I was sent.  In the mess the empty chair is set.  My flying time is spent.

#8 J2_SteveF

J2_SteveF
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 22 June 2017 - 14:27

Castor oil has a laxative property too  :icon_eek:

sig.png

#9 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 22 June 2017 - 15:41

Castor oil has a laxative property too :icon_eek:

This helps to achieve the appropriate effects resulting from the strong fear that was felt when in serious trouble. Very nice. Ugh.

#10 Lt.Vaughn

Lt.Vaughn

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:40

Thanks, Fourspeed...

I now see your point.

Lt. Vaughn

Tony Stark is my pilot.

#11 abj9562

abj9562

Posted 15 June 2021 - 16:46

What size monitor resolution did you use for commands using coordinates?

#12 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 02 July 2021 - 03:49

What size monitor resolution did you use for commands using coordinates?

Wow. Arise Dead Thread!    ;)  :D

Answering your question though, in my case, it's the standard 1920 X 1080 for RoF.

That said however, you can use *any* resolution. When you're setting up a command to move the mouse to a specific screen location and click, VA actually will show you the co-ordinates as it sees them when you're creating the commands - so, when you set the command up, you manually move the mouse to where it needs to be, read the co-ordinates that VA shows you, put those in your command, and Voila.  

Regards,

#13 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 02 July 2021 - 10:17

Arise Dead Thread and bring Four with you! Good to still be meeting you here, man, it's been ages  :) .

Forum moderator.

Deputy Staffelführer, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

“Now now,” Akua chided. “Personal attacks are the mark of failed argument. If you’ve no counterpoint to offer, such flailing only serves to shed further light on your incompetence.”

#14 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:32

Arise Dead Thread and bring Four with you! Good to still be meeting you here, man, it's been ages  :) .

Lol. It has been that. 

I still fly RoF frequently, both in our server(s) and in S.P. Career mode, but largely, I've mostly migrated over to DCS  (sadly, IL-2 holds zero interest for me at all), so I don't check the forums much -- In fact, someone had to mention to me that there was a question out here that I should probably look at...    ;)  :D

Hope you and yours are doing well, Trupo.  

Cheers,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users