Photo
- - - - -

S.E. 5a is not an Acemaker

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 27 May 2017 - 23:24

Well, I just tried a Quick Mission with S.E 5a. And... as much as I wanted to give it a try in a Career, now I do not. Only by the second attempt I was able to shoot down the enemy - and only because I managed to hit it's fuel tank.

From what I seen and felt, the Acemaker is not an Acemaker. Not in this game, at least. Why? Well, look at it's profile:

http://www.wwiaviati...D6864-600px.png

By this You would think it's not difficult to keep it fly straight without having to push on the joystick with all Your might - If anything, it's actually heavy up front, forcing You to pull. Well, You are wrong - ingame, S.E. 5a is incredibly Tail-heavy. Too heavy, in fact, making it painful to actually keep it do what You wants it to do. Even now, after all these trials in Quick Mission, my arm hurts from having to push as strong as I could, in order not to enter the stall, cause by it's tail. And don't even get me started how many times I almost stalled because of this tail.

Seriously, who fought this was a good idea to implement this into the game? It's a beginner's trap.

#2 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 28 May 2017 - 00:06

No problem flying the S.E. 5a here, but then again I have a FFB stick.  There were lots of posts a few years ago about why some planes seemed tail heavy on non-FFB sticks.  I never paid a lot of attention to them since I was not having a problem with my FFB stick, but there were a number of theoretical reasons/explanations for why this happens.  IIRC, the simple fix for it with non-FFB sticks is just to create an appropriate curve for it in the setup screens. Have you tried that yet?  The S.E. 5a is actually a fun plane to fly, so don't give up on it just because of this control setup quirk.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online:  36144220793_f99e77ba91_o.jpg

#3 =HillBilly=

=HillBilly=
  • LocationSouthern Ozark Mountains

Posted 28 May 2017 - 00:57

Well, I just tried a Quick Mission with S.E 5a. And... as much as I wanted to give it a try in a Career, now I do not. Only by the second attempt I was able to shoot down the enemy - and only because I managed to hit it's fuel tank.

From what I seen and felt, the Acemaker is not an Acemaker. Not in this game, at least. Why? Well, look at it's profile:

By this You would think it's not difficult to keep it fly straight without having to push on the joystick with all Your might - If anything, it's actually heavy up front, forcing You to pull. Well, You are wrong - ingame, S.E. 5a is incredibly Tail-heavy. Too heavy, in fact, making it painful to actually keep it do what You wants it to do. Even now, after all these trials in Quick Mission, my arm hurts from having to push as strong as I could, in order not to enter the stall, cause by it's tail. And don't even get me started how many times I almost stalled because of this tail.

Seriously, who fought this was a good idea to implement this into the game? It's a beginner's trap.

Why don't you trim it? The SE5a has a trim-able horizontal stabilizer in game.  

You have to be quick 

#4 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:27

Well, judging by Wargrounds stats for April it seems to be doing just fine against nearly everything except the Fokker DVIIF (best plane in WWI), the Fokker DVIII (which is a late 1918 plane), and the Gotha (which if crewed can be nasty against nearly anything).  Not too shabby for a 1916 design that entered service in early 1917.

Perhaps you should consider spending more "time in type" before writing it off as a bad aircraft...   Just a thought.

Regards,

:icon_e_salute:

#5 Cybermat47

Cybermat47
  • LocationNew South Wales, Australia

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:18

You aren't dogfighting with it, are you?
"What was the purpose of it all? What's the price of a mile?! Thousands of feet march to the beat, it's an army on the march! Long way from home, paying the price in young men's lives! Thousands of feet march to the beat, it's an army in despair! Knee-deep in mud, stuck in the trench with no way out!"
- From The Price of a Mile by Sabaton.

#6 Wykletypl

Wykletypl

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:13

You aren't dogfighting with it, are you?

No, I was too busy trying not to crash because of it's constant desire to go up and stall.

#7 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw
  • LocationKraków / Poland

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:02

Use trim/adjustible stabiliser to adjust pitch forces.

S.E.5a is very much an ace maker because it lets you run away and live to build that 5 kills streak. Its engine can even run for very long time whle spewing oil into pilots face, and get him back to friendly lines.

Most good S.E.5 pilots give you one good burst then run away if you're not oiled, giving you choice between running a wild goise chase to make sure they won't come back, or giving them another chance if you ignore them. Annoying pests if you ask me, not at all fun to play against, but the occasional kill scored in such scenario is usually by S.E.5.a pilot.

Forum moderator.

Adjutant, Jasta 2 ''Boelcke'' http://jasta2.org

bav.jpg

#8 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 28 May 2017 - 13:07

It's a death trap for me, whenever I am stressed to have fun. Take your time to be smart with it.

Has the nice addition of the upper gun, shooting your enemies from below is a lot of fun. Just remember they may dive after you (talking to myself here...).

And yeah, I trim it just as I'm taking off.

#9 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 28 May 2017 - 13:52

The SE5.. I hate it :lol:.

As much as I want to like it, I just can't.

I wish you could remove the upper wing gun for a start.

I find it really hard to get kills in an SE5, I'm always caught between turning and booming. Happier in a Spad.

I have it set up as normal for near level fight in the curves, and use the stabiliser to drop the nose just before diving - this helps maintain your aim on the target at speed.

But I'm crap in it so maybe you shouldn't listen to me !!

:icon_e_salute:

#10 unreasonable

unreasonable
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:02

Does this have to happen in every thread?

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." H. L. Mencken

#11 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:37

Apparently, yes. We are so over the offtopic capacity we should start exporting it to BoX forums...

Forum moderator.

bav.jpg

#12 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:48

Nothing in the cry
of cicadas suggests they
Are about to die

- Basho

Ah, Zen...

#13 paullmf2

paullmf2

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:59

I find the SE5a in RoF a great plane, an excellent survivalist - an Acemaker, maybe not so much.

Pros

1. Its excellent for running away when i stuff up an attack

2. I can bomb stuff like Tanks and Vehicles on roads and/or take on enemy aircraft

3. Visibility is good

4. Can trim in-flight and landings are easy

Con

1. Personally i can't hit much with the guns. Not a good attribute for BnZ, (but its ok - see 1. above)

Not sure why but i find it very hard to put away other planes even from decent attack positions with the SE5a.

Recently i got a chance at an experienced RoF pilot. I came in from a high-ish 7o'clock as he strafed a train, firing 50-60 rounds at him from about 120m....nothing, didn't even notice i was there, or certainly wasn't bothered by my attempts. Tried again after a small zoom, this time from near zero-deflection..ah, this time he noticed and turned tight, i zoomed...long story short he hit my engine after a minute or so of me circling above and getting a bit of a flying lesson tbh :icon_e_salute:

I flew away and should've landed unharmed but tried to make home field and the engine died just short. 

Basically the SE5a allowed me to survive in spite of myself and i could have dis-engaged even earlier.

So i started recording some flights to try study where my bullets are actually going. No great insight yet, but compared with a Spad or Albie, concentration of fire seems worse with the SE. Which might be expected with that gun layout. Am trying out various convergence settings in case that makes a difference, but any tips on this most welcome

I've a feeling that the SE5a is a good BnZer for the everyman, but the Spad might be the real Acemaker

#14 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:30

Does this have to happen in every thread?

What's happened to this thread ?

#15 J2_Trupobaw

J2_Trupobaw

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:58

1. Personally i can't hit much with the guns. Not a good attribute for BnZ, (but its ok - see 1. above)

I've had the same experience, except when I'm flying perfectly straight and trimmed nose down - then these guns are murderous.

Forum moderator.

bav.jpg

#16 J5_Klugermann

J5_Klugermann
  • LocationChateau Boistrancourt

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:25

I find the SE5a in RoF a great plane, an excellent survivalist - an Acemaker, maybe not so much.

Pros

1. Its excellent for running away when i stuff up an attack

2. I can bomb stuff like Tanks and Vehicles on roads and/or take on enemy aircraft

3. Visibility is good

4. Can trim in-flight and landings are easy

Con

So i started recording some flights to try study where my bullets are actually going. No great insight yet, but compared with a Spad or Albie, concentration of fire seems worse with the SE. Which might be expected with that gun layout. Am trying out various convergence settings in case that makes a difference, but any tips on this most welcome

I've a feeling that the SE5a is a good BnZer for the everyman, but the Spad might be the real Acemaker

I've had the same experience, except when I'm flying perfectly straight and trimmed nose down - then these guns are murderous.

Try using the iron sight on the side. You'll feel much more comfortable about your accuracy. I've found that the dark windscreen obsures the target somwhat on dives when the ground is the background.

As for non acemaker,  just try telling Tycoon and Winged Warrior that the Se5 is garbage.

baaf1c07c631f19b4583ea771ba6434e--donald

#17 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 29 May 2017 - 17:57

Winged Warrior... how does he do it?
Hauptmann 
Jagdstaffel 2 "Boelcke"

xfnaaHq.jpg

#18 paullmf2

paullmf2

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:56

Try using the iron sight on the side. You'll feel much more comfortable about your accuracy. I've found that the dark windscreen obsures the target somwhat on dives when the ground is the background.

This has helped a lot, thanks. I spent some time getting used to leaning left, and trying different convergence settings and bead positions, then practising and recording. Feel a lot more comfortable and accurate.
Also got used to firing the elevated the Lewis. Used to think it was a bit of a gimmick, but managed a WG kill using it against a dfw. Cuban's new Somme map is good for practising with it too.

Thanks again.

#19 JoeCrow

JoeCrow

Posted 07 June 2017 - 21:45

Aircraft are never 'tail-heavy'. What you are experiencing is really the effect of airspeed on lift. At cruise-speed the aircraft should fly reasonably level but it will show a strong tendency to 'nose-up' and climb at speeds above cruise-speed. It will also show a tendency to 'nose-down' at speeds below cruise-speed. An aircraft, left to its own devices, will always attempt to achieve cruise-speed by altering its flight attitude if there is no stick input (elevator) from the pilot. This is aerodynamics at work and it is the reason that you can trim an aircraft for level-flight at various cruise-speeds. It is all down to aerodynamics and trim. On the plus side, an aircraft correctly trimmed should be able to climb at best climb-rate 'hands-off-stick' at maximum throttle. It will also attempt to 'nose-up' in a high-speed dive in an attempt to reduce airspeed and regain cruise-speed. It all depends on trim.

#20 Tycoon

Tycoon

Posted 10 June 2017 - 06:55

Winged Warrior... how does he do it?

We actually never quite figured it out. He gave us some bull about trim and curves and whatever, but he still dodged the question. :icon_e_biggrin:

Plenty of room at the Hotel RiseofFlight, you can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users