- - - - -

Your thoughts on this (possible) new rig please

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CPS_Bomber

CPS_Bomber

Posted 21 May 2017 - 10:36

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to actually start playing RoF again after several years out (my current rig just struggles to allow me to fly even without any combat going on), and as its 10yrs old I dont think there's much more I can do to help it.

I've been looking around the net and i'm hovering around Wired2Fire and their rigs. The one i'm interested in is the X3000 (basic specs follow below).
I'm not very knowledgable on modern hardware, so what I'd like to ask you is, is this setup worth the investment as an off the shelf item, or would you recommend some tweaking/upgrading of components? My aim here is to come away with something that I won't need to upgrade for many years, but will happily run RoF in all its glory. I also want to move into a triple screen setup.
It also needs to handle DCS, FSX:Steam and IL-2 1946 and a few FPS.

CPU : Intel Core i5 7600K Quad Core Socket 1151 (4.2GHz, 6MB Cache, Overclockable)
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master MasterLiquid 120 CPU Water Cooler
Graphics Card 1 : nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Memory : 16GB Corsair DDR4 2666MHz C16 Dual Channel Memory Kit (2 x 8GB)
Motherboard : Asus Prime Z270-P Motherboard
System Drive : Samsung 250GB 850 Evo Series SATA III 6Gb/s Solid-State Drive
Optical Drive : DVD-RW 22x
Power Supply : FSP Non-modular 500W Power Supply (Bronze 80 Plus Certified)
Sound Card : Onboard HD 7.1 Audio
Operating System : Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

£1,293.98 (inc vat)

On the above I have changed the case to all allow installation of a CD drive as I have far too many items on disc and dont want to spend extra on replacing them with download versions.

I can stretch up to £1600ish if the return on performance and longevity can be made.

With that in mind, what are your thoughts on the following?:

Case: 1 x Corsair Carbide Series Spec03 White LED Case
CPU:1 x Intel Core i7 7700K Quad Core Socket 1151 (4.5GHz, 8MB Cache, Hyperthreading, Overclockable)
CPU Cooler: 1 x Cooler Master MasterLiquid 120 CPU Water Cooler
CPU Thermal Paste: 1 x Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste
Overclocking: 1 x Wired2Fire Overclocking (non-standard cooler required)
Tuning and Optimisation: 1 x Wired2Fire Tuning (BIOS, Driver and OS Tweaks)
Graphics Card 1: 1 x nVidia GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
Memory: 1 x 16GB Corsair DDR4 3000MHz C15 Dual Channel Memory Kit (2 x 8GB)
Motherboard: 1 x Asus ROG Strix Z270F Gaming Motherboard
System Drive: 1 x Samsung 250GB 850 Evo Series SATA III 6Gb/s Solid-State Drive
Storage Drive 1: 1 x Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200 64MB Cache SATA III Hard Disk Drive
RAID Option: 1 x No RAID
Optical Drive: 1 x DVD-RW 22x
Power Supply: 1 x FSP Hydro G 750W Gold Modular Power Supply
Cable Management: 1 x Wired2Fire Cable Management
Case Fan Upgrades: 2 x Corsair ML120 Pro Case Fan
Sound Card: 1 x Onboard HD 7.1 Audio
Keyboard: 1 x Standard USB 2.0 Keyboard
Mouse: 1 x Standard Optical Mouse
Network Adapters: 1 x Standard Wireless 802.11n (300Mbps) USB Adapter
Operating System: 1 x Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

For that I'm looking at £1649.00 (includes vat)
Are there items in the above that when combined don't make sense (expense for no performance gain)?

Lastly, do you have have any recommendations as to where you would purchase a rig from (bear in mind i'm in the UK)?

Like I say I'm not up on all the tech stuff nowadays, but do enjoy and miss my gaming sessions - the last time I flew RoF (I was an off-line flyer) was way before the Channel Map was released!

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give on this, as at the moment I do feel rather clueless as to what direction to take here.

Cheers,
Rob

#2 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:40

The one above i5-7600k is more then a mach to handle Rof and Bos. Only for playing Bos I would use the GTX 1080.
Do not have any knowlegde on DSC nor FSX.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

2009 Rof pre-order buyer

#3 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:41

While a 500 W power supply is technically enough for the components listed you may want to get one with a little more headroom.  My understanding is that as a PS gets older its output decreases, and since you seem to hold onto your computers for a while it could be worth it in the long run.

Also, the PS is the heart of the system and if it fails can f__k up the rest.  Get the best one you can afford, do not settle just for bronze rating.

As far as a case goes, make sure it supports as many 12 cm fans as possible.  If you can afford it, I like hybrid Nvidia cards (liquid and air cooled, but tend to be pricey...).

You may want to have the best system right away, but think about getting a last generation GPU (a top 800 or 900 series card will run RoF just as well) and in a few years you can then upgrade.  People often sell very good slightly used GPU's just because they live on the bleeding edge.

Read many many reviews of each component you intend to buy.  Many times these boutique computer makers get bulk deals on components that are suspected lemons if you read the reviews.  An otherwise very good component manufacturer with well established name can still put out a lemon now and then.

Do your own research, google is your friend. :icon_e_biggrin:

EDIT: the more expensive system you list is impressive, but expensive.  I wouldn't rely on someone else to overclock my system though.  You really need to take some time and learn how to do some of this yourself, it can be very empowering and fun once you get into system optimizing.  I am not tech-oriented either, but if I can do it, you can.

#4 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 May 2017 - 13:33

Hi CPS_Bomber!

I think the questions are, "How long do you expect to be using this PC?" and "What other sorts of games are you thinking to run on it?" If you are only looking at playing ROF and one or 2 other things, on your rig, there's no need to spend an arm and a leg extra. The first rig suggestion should hold you in good stead. If you're looking to play more games (and use it as your personal PC for storing data, pictures, videos, etc.) then I think that the 250GB SSD in the first option will run out of room pretty fast. For that, the Seagate 1 TB HDD in the second option would be very useful. Store your games on the SDD and your data on the HDD.

Personally, for cost effectiveness, I like the first option better, with the following caveats:
- Add the Seagate HDD to it. This is a good move if you are looking to have your PC a long time.
- Maybe upgrade the power supply to a 600 or 700W as Bandy suggested.
- If you want to cut costs further, you could downgrade the NVDIA GPU to something like the 900 series or maybe even the 800 series. I have a gaming laptop that runs a 700 series NVIDIA GPU, and ROF runs beautifully. I don't turn on "super sampling" in the game, but I don't need it. The game runs smooth as butter and is set to the highest graphics settings (minus super sampling). It also runs Il-2 BOS, ARMA III, and Battlefield 1 very well. All that to say, a 900 series card would probably hold you in very good stead for years to come. Just make sure it says "GTX" in the name: GTX cards are NVIDIA's gaming series GPUs.

Of course this all assumes that Wired2Fire allows additions to their build packages.

Hope some of this helps! Good luck and happy flying to you mate! :icon_e_salute:
- HotleadColdfeet

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

fcpq25c.jpg

#5 Ice_Age

Ice_Age
  • LocationVelikiye Luki

Posted 23 May 2017 - 23:55

You don't have it listed here, but you know what I've found is one of the coolest things in the world for DCS:  A mechanical gaming keyboard with the ability to specify the LED color of each key.  If you can find one of those, it's worth it's weight in gold.  So, for example, lets say I have a bunch of keyboard commands to specify various gunsight modes...maybe I make a cluster of keys to be all red.  And the cluster of keys to operate various radar switches, maybe I make them green...autopilot keys might be yellow...you get the picture. With planes that have so many commands, being able to visualize things by color and arrangement is a lot easier than having to remember the keys only alpha-numerically.

#6 HotleadColdfeet

HotleadColdfeet
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 May 2017 - 13:26

You don't have it listed here, but you know what I've found is one of the coolest things in the world for DCS:  A mechanical gaming keyboard with the ability to specify the LED color of each key.  If you can find one of those, it's worth it's weight in gold.  So, for example, lets say I have a bunch of keyboard commands to specify various gunsight modes...maybe I make a cluster of keys to be all red.  And the cluster of keys to operate various radar switches, maybe I make them green...autopilot keys might be yellow...you get the picture. With planes that have so many commands, being able to visualize things by color and arrangement is a lot easier than having to remember the keys only alpha-numerically.

Now that's cool!

New to Rise of Flight? Check out this Rise of Flight free to play guide on Steam

fcpq25c.jpg

#7 SYN_Bandy

SYN_Bandy
  • LocationWishing I was in the La Cloche

Posted 24 May 2017 - 15:55

You could also simply get a throttle quadrant and map them to a single switch or axis, but you really don't need that for RoF...

post-26445-0-10293200-1410636282.jpg

#8 Spyboy

Spyboy

Posted 28 May 2017 - 18:24

That's impressive Bandy, where did you get it? Build it yourself?

:icon_e_salute:

#9 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 29 May 2017 - 15:48

https://www.flightsi...CFYqRGwod_NsGzg

No it is from CH and the labels are from DIY.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

2009 Rof pre-order buyer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users