Vote: Freetrack vs FacetrackNoIR vs Opentrack

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 kkang2828

kkang2828
  • LocationGwangju City, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea

Posted 19 April 2017 - 13:44

Hello guys.

I'm planning to try head-tracking because I've heard so much about it's advantages. But naturally, I don't have the money for TrackIR. So, I did some research and came up with three candidates. Freetrack, Facetrack NoIR, and Opentrack(I don't have the C++ programming experience to be able to use Opentrack, but a relative of mine might. I don't know for sure, so we can leave it out of the discussion if it doesn't have a large advantage over the other two).

So, which is better? Tell me below.

#2 Oliver88

Oliver88

Posted 19 April 2017 - 15:02

Hello guys.

I'm planning to try head-tracking because I've heard so much about it's advantages. But naturally, I don't have the money for TrackIR. So, I did some research and came up with three candidates. Freetrack, Facetrack NoIR, and Opentrack(I don't have the C++ programming experience to be able to use Opentrack, but a relative of mine might. I don't know for sure, so we can leave it out of the discussion if it doesn't have a large advantage over the other two).

So, which is better? Tell me below.

You need programming experience to use Opentrack? I use my Edtracker through Opentrack (to tailor curves, add acceleration filters, and turn roll input into x output) and I never had to do any programming to do so. Theres an regular windows installer available in the downloads section on releases page.

https://github.com/o...ntrack/releases

Also presume your intending on using some IR setup with either these right? As to start with I tried using the face recognition tracking available in FaceTrack NoIR and my experience was that it blows.

#3 kkang2828

kkang2828
  • LocationGwangju City, Gyeonggi Province, South Korea

Posted 19 April 2017 - 15:31

What do you mean by "it blows"

I am planning to use an 4-point cap with FreeTrack.

#4 Oliver88

Oliver88

Posted 19 April 2017 - 15:52

I am planning to use an 4-point cap with FreeTrack.

That's no worries then.

What do you mean by "it blows"

I mean it sucks. The tracking method that you can use in FaceTrackNoIR that uses face recognition to determine your viewpoint, never worked reliably in my experience, lost tracking or thought I was looking in wrong directions all the time, jittery etc. But then maybe my setup or environment had something to do with it and maybe people have had real success with that tracking method. Just I didn't. But anyway your not planning on using that tracking method with it anyway so doesn't matter.

#5 FourSpeed

FourSpeed

Posted 19 April 2017 - 17:51

I currently use FreeTrack and a DiY baseball cap -- it works fine for me  (even on Win 10).

FaceTrackNOIR also worked for me (much better than for SubLtOliver evidently), but it is definitely inferior to FreeTrack, albeit easier and cheaper to try out.  I did find that it wasn't as smooth, room lighting conditions have a much bigger effect, and it tended to glitch more often, so I'd only recommend it as a spare or as an inexpensive introduction to head-tracking.

I've not had any experience with OpenTrack, or any of the Arduino accelerometer types of solutions.

I've also not used the commercial version of TrackIR either.

In terms of expense, ease of use, and capability I'd say:

TrackIR:  Most expensive, least effort to use, (arguably) the smoothest working, has product support, but the clip can be fragile and has a tendency to break easily

FreeTrack: Free software, requires a webcam and you need to build a cap / clip to use it (skills req'd and costs involved vary, but it's 3X cheaper (or more) than TrackIR, and pretty easy to build with a little electronics knowledge), very smooth and responsive once you get done tinkering, self supported product, and pretty reliable (depending on your building skills ;) )

FaceTrackNOIR: Free software, requires only a webcam, cheapest of the choices, but not as smooth as either of the other two, is more twitchy and affected by room conditions.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

4 :icon_e_salute:

PS> I've been using my DiY cap reliably for the past couple years now without any issues. It's worked well for me (cost was about $20-$30 USD and an afternoon of building / tinkering). In fairness, it was also the 2nd or 3rd version I'd built (the first was a headset clip based on a coat hangar -- which worked surprisingly well, and the second was my first crack at a ballcap, which worked fine, but broke often -- the current one is much better).  Regarding costs, I already had ballcaps, coat-hangers and the led's, so that $20-$30 is total cost including the couple "prototypes"  ;)

#6 Dutch2

Dutch2

Posted 19 April 2017 - 18:54

I know there is an hybride form of FacetrackNOIR using the LEDcap. This could be a better choice.
If I wrote something in this forum that is hurting or abuse a member, organisation or country? Let me know by pm for the corrections, please do not react back by bashing/trolling/flaming or other personal attacks!

Yep I’m an 2009 Rof pre-order buyer and one of the few that did buy the Sikorsky game.

#7 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 21 April 2017 - 18:59

Free track with ps3 eye camera. Excellent combination.

It has a learning curve that is a bit steep BUT once you get the hang of it you can "tweak and save" all day.

I'm with fourspeed on this one.

You do have to do the "free track dance" when starting it up. once you do this it is good to go.

If it seems to freak out you can shut it down and start it back up while RoF is going and resume play.

( But you do have to start FT before you start RoF...)

S! P.

-

Captured again!

#8 MakW

MakW
  • LocationZuidlaren The Netherlands

Posted 11 August 2017 - 00:46

If you go for a cap with LEDS: utube headtracking and take advise:

- use Infra Red LED's; (so you can fly during the day)

- remove the IR filter from the camera (PS3 cam works very good, I did this and many utube How2's about it)

It works very well unless you do not want a basecap on your head, witch is my case.

Solution might be XYZ accelerometer (position xyz) with gyroscope (rotations xyz) and this is very well doable too, with interface in freetrack or opentrack.

Because the programming of the gyroscope takes time (it works OK and feeding it into the PC is next step) I decided to use

an alternative flight setup: joystick left hand andn trackball right hand. After 40 or so hours in RoF I was able (just yesterday) to make a kill.

Without the trackball to look around it would have taken me at least  2 years ;)

Happy flying,

MakW

#9 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:50

Opentrack plus delanclip and PS3 eye - you can buy whole bundle for 25 $.

#10 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 14 August 2017 - 19:23

Exactly. 100% with DelanClip.

#11 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 14 August 2017 - 21:53

Dear chaps,

When you click on the link to the CL-eye driver, at the Delanclip website, it opens a google search window with the top result being...

You guessed it, a onedrive file to download.

The driver in question, for nothing. 

Not the actual website of the developer of the driver. 

This is pure BS. 

CL developed the only driver that works,

without them your CHEAP head tracking

with the really good SONY PS3 eye camera would not work. 

So advertising chumps like Delanclip here is not in the spirit of the community. 

making a clip is easy.

making a direct link to CL labs is too. 

like this:

https://codelaboratories.com/downloads

I paid for mine. I felt good doing it and I am pleased with my purchase. 

Slaute! 

Plank. ( a bit cranky today ran out of Brandy and ciggies.) 

-

Captured again!

#12 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 14 August 2017 - 22:27

You mean "the CL Eye Driver which used to be free, but is now $2.99" ?

It's still available for download, and it doesn't look illegal. But if you feel any better you can pay the $2.99. I don't suppose it makes much difference when compared with the TrackIR product.

Much ado about nothing. I really hope you don't make illegal copies of music and films. My walls are full of CDs, DVDs and BLU-RAYs. It makes me feel great. It makes me feel awesome.

Maybe my point of view is twisted. Damn, must adjust those cheap FaceTrackNoIR curves.

#13 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:39

Ahem. 

Paying CL labs for their cheap driver is not a big deal. 

Delanclip is selling a product that wont work without that driver in conjunction with PS3 eye camera. 

( and calling their product a "system" is even more BS, did they make the camera? no, the driver? no, the software?no

the bulk of their "system" is actually other peoples. The cheek.) 

So no driver, no headtracking. You can buy all the clips you like... 

It's BS them not linking to the CL labs website.

Instead they link to a search that shows you were the pirated software can be downloaded.

Pirated software. let that sink in. 

and CL can charge whatever they blinking like because it's their product. Good on them. 

To sum up:

Ripping off the chaps and chappettes who made head tracking affordable is akin to getting shitty with your ground crew. 

One day your rigging will just give up.

Good day. 

S! P. 

and once more:

https://codelaborato...cts/eye/driver/

It works, they developed it, they earned their money, cough up. 

-

Captured again!

#14 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 15 August 2017 - 13:08

Paying CL labs for their cheap driver is not a big deal.

It isn't.

Delanclip is selling a product that wont work without that driver in conjunction with PS3 eye camera. 

( and calling their product a "system" is even more BS, did they make the camera? no, the driver? no, the software?no

the bulk of their "system" is actually other peoples. The cheek.)

Do you ever go to restaurants - those bad guys that take advantage of food producers? Do you have any idea how many professions actually consist of assembling things together?!

So no driver, no headtracking. You can buy all the clips you like...

Yeah, it's like "no electricity, no computer." The meaning being... ?!

It's BS them not linking to the CL labs website.

It would be nice if they did. But it's really not their problem. It's your choice.

Instead they link to a search that shows you were the pirated software can be downloaded.

Pirated software. let that sink in.

The search could show Pamela Anderson's booty, better put a claim against Google for that. It could be a virus. It could be anything. Want to feel comfortable about it? PAy the two bucks. Feel comfortable already? Don't. It's not their choice!

and CL can charge whatever they blinking like because it's their product. Good on them.

Indeed. It's something they did. They host the file. They now charge for it. Why not? I find it totally reasonable that they are charging for it.

To sum up:

Ripping off the chaps and chappettes who made head tracking affordable is akin to getting shitty with your ground crew.

Does this follow in any way from what was said before? Did I miss a post here? Can you fill in the blanks, please?

One day your rigging will just give up.

It will. That's why some need ObamaCare.

Good day. 

S! P.

Best argument so far.

Good day to you!

S! B.

and once more:

https://codelaborato...cts/eye/driver/

Hell, why not?

We will get straight to the point: Today we ask you to help Wikipedia. To maintain our independence, we will never run ads. We depend on donations averaging about €10. Only a tiny portion of our readers give. If everyone reading this right now donated €2, we could keep Wikipedia thriving for years to come. The price of a coffee is all we need. When I made Wikipedia a non-profit, people warned me I’d regret it. Over a decade later, it’s the only top ten site run by a non-profit and a community of passionate volunteers. Has it crossed my mind how much we could have made if it had ads? Sure. But it wouldn’t be the same. We wouldn’t be able to trust it. Most people ignore my messages. But I hope you’ll think about how useful it is to have unlimited access to reliable, neutral information. Please help keep Wikipedia online and ad-free. Thank you — Jimmy Wales, Wikipedia Founder

#15 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:37

Are you suggesting that it is ok to steal Cl labs driver software?

A simple yes or no will be fine. 

S! P. 

-

Captured again!

#16 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:36

To sum up:

Does this follow in any way from what was said before? Did I miss a post here? Can you fill in the blanks, please?

Answer my questions, and I may answer yours (again!).

#17 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:44

Delanclip is hardware (no software copy right apply) and it is design to work with original naturalpoint trackir to.

#18 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:50

Are you suggesting that it is ok to steal Cl labs driver software?

A simple yes or no will be fine.

S! P.

When I did downloaded mine CL driver it was free software , do I can share that copy of mine ? I don't see any legal statement about not doing that ...

#19 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:15

"REDISTRIBUTION NOT PERMITTED UNLESS PROPER LICENSE IS ACQUIRED."

CL-EYE PLATFORM 

END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
Updated: February 16th, 2010 v1.1

Unless you have version that is covered by earlier EULA with different rules OR

you have a "redistribution license" the answer is simply no. 

It may have been free when it first came (2009) but it's not now.

If they/you can afford a good PC, a good screen, sound, food, rent, mortgage, internet,brandy, a wife/huband etc they/you can spring for the driver. 

I live on the smell of an oily rag but I still stumped up the money.

S! P

PS The filehost link that was first above Cl labs in the search for the driver has disappeared. Good. Cheeky blighter's. 

-

Captured again!

#20 1PL-Husar

1PL-Husar

Posted 16 August 2017 - 13:24

There you, my version is covered by earlier end user terms.

#21 Plank

Plank
  • LocationNew Zealand.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:53

You will probably need to read it to find out.

Which is not an unwise thing to do...

and most software makes you read it when you install it.... so there is not excuse to not know.

Which is why they do this. and

I think there is south park episode where this is the main thrust of the story. something to do with Apple.... 

Good luck! 

Salute! 

P. 

-

Captured again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users