- - - - -

DR 1 of STEEL & A Daredevil's Fall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NakedSquirrel

NakedSquirrel
  • Tester

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:48

The Dr 1 is one tough plane. Flying in it or against it, I find it can take a lot of punishment from bullets and high speed manuvers.

Curious, I decided to undertake a feat I would normally never attempt in any other plane… I decided to take the Dr.1 up to high altitude, nose dive straight for the ground, and see if I can pull it out in one piece!

So here I am at 4k, ready for my dive!

Attached File  Down1.jpg   45.04KB   198 downloads

As you can see, it's a long way down. But there's no turning back now. I'm going straight down and I'm pulling up before I hit that town!
Attached File  Down12.jpg   41.03KB   196 downloads

Here you can see my angle of attack. A nice 90 degree angle, a broken engine, wet trousers, and a look of pure fear on my face.

Attached File  Down2.jpg   33.38KB   193 downloads

The town is approaching fast. Will he make it? And did he remember to write his mother?

Attached File  Down3.jpg   52.05KB   194 downloads

Huray! I slowly pull out of the dive at about half a kilometer. Here I am, safe and sound, gliding over the town with a broken engine and a wet pair of trousers, but the plane came out in one piece. If only I had a place to land…

Attached File  down5.jpg   80.64KB   190 downloads

Jokes aside, I've done this trial numerous times. The only thing I tend to break are of (obviously) my engine, and sometimes my controls: aelerons and elevator. If I take a less severe angle of attack, say 80-70 degrees, I can sometimes pick up enough speed to tear off a wing or three, although I have gone far in the red (300-320kph) without completely tearing the plane to shreds.

Obviously if I yank right up on the stick, the wings will pop off like confetti, but the plane can survive a high speed dive with little problem. I'm not sure if it's a drag, weight, or wing strength issue, but it doesn't seem quite right.

#2 Viper69

Viper69

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:19

Once your engine dies you probably only hit terminal velocity which probably isnt fast enough to crack up the plane, I tihnk the DR1 was one of the first to use a semi steel construction right? The pull out is another matter, I dont know the G loading of your pull out :D haha he said…oops wrong place.

#3 NakedSquirrel

NakedSquirrel
  • Tester

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:39

Full Ammo and fuel loadout for the dive. It was a gradual pull out. If you yank up on the stick, yes, the wings pop off.

#4 Chill31

Chill31

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:08

If you do an idle/engine off dive, your airplane will (for biplanes) slow down in a dive compared to straight and level power on flight. 3 wings is a lot of drag afterall…

#5 NOSTEP

NOSTEP

Posted 05 December 2009 - 23:13

Man - I admire your patience ! How long did it take you to get up there ? About 3000' I get bored !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users