Photo
- - - - -

Newb Questions for TrackIR (Tracking General)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Odovacer

Odovacer
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 14 April 2017 - 21:06

Hello. I've never used a tracking device before. Is the device solely used for vision tracking (head movement) or is it mapped to flight control as well? I've seen a RoF TrackIR sample video and it almost seemed the pilot was using it as flight control device, but impossible to say for sure.

For TrackIR5, why is the clip sold separately? Can the TrackIR5 work on it's own?

Thanks.

#2 J2_Adam

J2_Adam
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 April 2017 - 22:26

"For TrackIR5, why is the clip sold separately? Can the TrackIR5 work on it's own?"

...becaue there are 2 different clips. One that clips on a baseball cap and one that attaches to your headset. The former costs less.

#3 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 14 April 2017 - 23:10

IIRC, TrackIR uses two different types of IR detection methods.  In one, it's bouncing IR light from the camera unit off reflectors mounted on your head/cap and reading the reflections coming back to the camera unit.  In the other, the clip itself is emitting the light (from LEDs on the clip) and the camera is picking it up.  I've found that the latter gives much better tracking results under more varied lighting conditions, and is well worth the cost of buying the special clip, IMHO.  I've seen posts about some other brand of clip that is reputed to be either cheaper or better (sturdier?) or both, but have never tried anything but TIR's own pro clip (but I have had to glue/tape some of the parts back together over the years, as they can be a bit fragile).

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#4 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:08

It's all terribly fragile I'm afraid.

I use the reflectors (on a cool hat not a baseball one ;) ).

The advantage of the reflectors is that they're untethered. Cable-free.

:icon_e_salute:

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#5 Panthercules

Panthercules

Posted 15 April 2017 - 15:05

True - but I have mine clipped to my headphones. I'm already tethered by the headphone cable, so another cable for the TIR clip isn't any big deal for me.  You could certainly give the reflectors a try - if they work, fine, and if not, you can always buy a clip.

And BTW, I've never heard of a TIR being used in any way as a flight controller.  Perhaps there is some weird way to actually hack something together like that, but why would you?  You need to be able to look around without changing your flight path, so tying your TIR to your plane controls would seem to be a bad idea in principle.

New "Useful Materials" page now available: http://riseofflight....ks/#entry628960
Useful Skinning-related Info:  http://riseofflight....g-related-info/  
Spammers banned while still online: RoF SPAM killer markings 66.jpg

#6 Oliver88

Oliver88

Posted 15 April 2017 - 21:46

yeh intended for view, do not believe trackir can be bound to any controls in RoF anway right just binds to the view controls im background when an trackir process exists, though some trackers like the edtracker just show up as another joystick in windows so you can bind that, though yeh why would you

#7 Zooropa_Fly

Zooropa_Fly

Posted 15 April 2017 - 23:23

As a sidenote here, I wish you could look around with Track IR when outside view is selected, as is the case in IL2 and others.

Maybe on the list for the next update..

:P

".. and they'll send you home in a pine overcoat, with a letter to your Mum,

Saying find enclosed one son one medal and a note, to, say, he, Won".

#8 Fr34kFly3r

Fr34kFly3r

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:56

taking notes on this.

#9 J2_Bidu

J2_Bidu

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:11

I'm a happy DelanClip customer. Works marvellously well.

I've never experienced any other head tracking solution, so I can't compare. But for me, it has no flaws. And it's cheap (that I can compare). Te whole thing costs about the same as just a TrackIR clip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users